- Item #: i_376767Bottle Size: 750mlTHE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 95 POINTS - "I say 10% of the blend is from my blood!' declares Jean-Francois Clouet, who has changed the style of his family's rose to a fresher and more direct mood, not so soft, aiming for the lively impression of malic acidity, even though it goes through full malolactic fermentation. The result is arose that epitomises elegance and focus, in the midst of generous red fruits that characterise Bouzy and Ambonnay. This cuvee encapsulates the wonderful talent of Pinot Noir to build and rise on the finish, opening to wonderful characters of perfumed rosehip, pink pepper and pomegrate. An undercurrent of fine, chalk mineral texture, accurate line and persevering length define a pristine and enticingly priced rose."
- Item #: i_305850Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Very elegant and refined in texture, with fresh, focused acidity finding fine integration with the layered notes of patisserie apple, black currant, smoky mineral and biscuit, complimented by hints of lemon zest and honey. Lingering finish. Drink now through 2020. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 5,000 cases imported.”
We are excited about this offering because we love nothing more than offering killer deals on great wines. While not as flashy or fashionable as some of its Grandes Marques brethren, Bollinger nevertheless possesses a legion of savvy devotees that is surpassed only by that of Krug’s. As with Krug’s Grand Cuvee, Bollinger’s reputation is anchored by their consistently splendid multi-vintage Brut Special. This is a particularly nice rendition and it is further notable because it is the first release of Special Cuvee packaged in a swanky new bottle patterned after one the company used in the 1840s. Disgorged this past summer, 45% of the blend is from 2008, while 50% is from 2007, with the rest being composed of older vintages aged in magnum.
Jacques Bollinger and Paul-Joseph Renaudin founded Bollinger in 1829. However, it was really the widow (yes, another dynamic Champagne widow) Lilly Bollinger, who guided the firm from 1941 to 1971, that is most responsible for the lofty reputation that the firm enjoys today. By all accounts this grande dame was an indefatigable and astute leader that left no stone unturned in the pursuit of bolstering the excellence of her Champagnes. Ghislain de Montgolfier, a great great grandson of Jacques Bollinger, took charge of the house from 1994 to 2008. Today, Jérôme Philipon is managing director, while Mathieu Kauffmann , who has been with the house since 2001, is Bollinger’s brilliant chef de cave. Bollinger’s 395 acres of vines provide for roughly two-thirds of the house’s needs, which permits greater control over style and quality.
- Item #: i_313630Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS-"This vibrant version shows a range of toasted brioche, baked cherry, crystalized honey, grated ginger and coconut flavors, remaining light-footed and lively throughout. Beautifully balanced, with a lasting, mouthwatering finish. Disgorged 2014. Drink now through 2020. 5,000 cases imported. (10/16)."
PETER LEIM 2 STARS-"Beginning with this release, chef de cave Thierry Roset has reduced the number of crus that are included in this wine, although the general composition remains the same: one-third of each variety, with about 40 percent of the blend composed of reserve wines that average about ten years of age. As usual, it's generous in aroma, showing a waxy, burnished richness and an unusual complexity and depth for a non-vintage brut. At the same time, it feels lively and vibrant thanks to its fresh acidity, along with a pervasive chalkiness that saturates the wine from start to finish. This is already one of the finest NVs on the market, and if anything, it's only getting better with each new release."
- Item #: i_325701Bottle Size: 750MLThe Forest-Marie Vintage 2008 is made up of a 50/50 blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. This comes entirely from two south facing parcels Chaillots & Mont des Chrétiens of calcareous soils that have an average vine age of 67-80 years. The grapes were hand harvested and fermented in stainless steel for 20-30 days with spontaneous and cultured yeasts, malolactic was allowed to happen. After fermentation was finished, the wine was aged for 8 months with 29 mg/L of sulfur before being bottled under crown cap on March 23, 2009. This bottle was disgorged to order on August 1, 2019 and finished with a dosage of 6.85 grams per liter.
- Item #: i_347642Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Chalky on the nose, this clean-cut Champagne is creamy in texture and elegant, offering a subtle mesh of biscuit, green pear, ground ginger and lemon zest notes. A fine aperitif, with a racy finish."
Breaking with convention Grand Cordon has no front label : The G.H. Mumm signature and eagle emblem are printed in gold directly on the glass. Another striking feature of the design is its shape, which necessitated a whole series of innovations to the traditional champagne production process.
The most eye-catching feature of the Mumm Grand Cordon bottle is its reinterpretation of the famous Cordon Rouge red sash, transformed into a genuine red ribbon, which – in a feat of technology – is actually indented in the glass.
- Item #: i_376337Bottle Size: 750mlDisgorged in July 2019, the latest release of Gaston Chiquet's NV Brut Rosé Premier Cru is showing very well, bursting with aromas of fresh peach, red berries, mint, green apples, rhubarb and pastry cream. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, crisp and fleshy, with a charming core of fruit, racy acids and a lingering, flavorful finish.
- Item #: i_317706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90PETER LEIM 2 STARS -"This is 82 percent Pinot Noir from Mareuil, Avenay Val d’Or, Bisseuil and Hautvillers, blended with 18 percent Mareuil chardonnay. Over half of the blend (53 percent) is reserve wine from 2013 and 2012, and with a trio of vintages like this, it’s no surprise that this is one of the finest editions of this cuvée that Hébrart has ever produced. Generous in body yet streamlined in shape, it’s marked by a silky texture and vibrant depth of fruit, offering both a strong Grande Vallée identity and sheer delicious appeal." Last tasted: 3/17
Importer Terry calls this THE unsung hero of his portfolio.
- Item #: i_335640Bottle Size: 750mlNot technically a "grower-producer," everything Huré Frères does-from philosophy to farming to production-reflects a grower mentality. The operation was formed over a half-century ago by Jeanne and Georges Huré, who later handed it off to their three sons, and Huré Frères was officially born. Brothers Jean-Marie, Marc and Raoul successfully ran and expanded the business from 1971 until 2008, when Raoul's wine-educated and world-traveled sons, François and Pierre, took the helm. They are lovers of biodynamic principles and mirror a Burgundian mindset that you're guaranteed to notice in their bottlings. The firm's "introductory" Champagne abounds with appetizing aromas and flavors of cherries, plums and toasted bread that represent a cordial invitation to dinning pleasure and conviviality. It is a pleasing mix of 15% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir, and 50% Pinot Meunier based on the 2013 harvest blended with approximately 30% of reserve wines from previous vintages. It was aged up to 36 months on the lees before being finished with a dosage of 8 grams/liter.
- Item #: i_374559Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Chardonnay, 40% Meunier,this wine has an unusually fine mousse and terrific elegance, fruit and stony salinity. This is Sélèque’s flagship wine, representing nearly half of the total house production.
- Item #: i_378212Bottle Size: 750mlEdouard Labuyère, who owns an estate in Moulin-a-Vent, Château Rouget in Pomerol and is the majority shareholder in Domaine Jacques Prieur in Meursault, acquired two small estates in the Montagne de Reims Grand Cru town of Verzenay between 2010 and 2012. Both producers had previously sold the grapes from their grand cru sites to Dom Pérignon.
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-"Some quite chalky, stony aromas framed in bright red berries, this has impressive, fragrant appeal. The texture is super smooth, supple and even. Bright, strawberry and mineral finish. Drink now." (09/18)
- Item #: i_378602Bottle Size: 750mlJacques Defrance is headquartered in Les Riceys a quaint village nestled amidst the rolling hills of the Cotes des Bar half way between Reims and Chablis. Here for over a century four generations of the Defrance family have acquired and cultivated some of the area's best situated plots all the while learning more and more how get the best quality from their terrior. This valued-priced vintage Champagne is 50% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir with a dosage of 8grams/liter. Harmonious and creamy on the palate with pleasing lemon curd, vanilla and ginger snap flavors. It is cast in a crowd pleasing style with excellent balance and good length.
- Item #: i_375012Bottle Size: 750ml50% PN, 20% CH, 30% PM | Base Vintage: 2013 | Ageing: 3 years on the lees | Dosage: 6 g/l Lots of peachy character, aromatic and perfumed. Dosage doesn’t seem 6 g/l, this has quite a lot of richness making it not at all dry. Lovely balance and texture.
- Item #: i_352590Bottle Size: 750mlLanson was one of the first brands to offer Rosé Champagne. In this respect, the House has over 50 years experience. Rosé derives its pink tint from the blending of the 3 classic grape varieties, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay. It is produced in the traditional way with a small amount of fine red wine made exclusively from Pinot Noir to give the wine its colour. This Lanson is composed of 50% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 15% Meunier, with 7% Bouzy red added for color. Like all of Lanson's Champagnes, this Rose is fermented in stainless steel without malolactic fermenatation. The result is a lively pale pink Champagne that displays subtle berry flavors accented with hints of toast and nougat.
- Item #: i_338840Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - " Wine Spectator - "Elegant and finely knit, this vibrant Champagne is framed by racy acidity that enlivens the flavors of ripe boysenberry, lemon zest, brioche and chopped hazelnut. Spice and chalk notes linger on the finish."
- Item #: i_376844Bottle Size: 750mlThe Nicaise family has been making Champagne for four generations from their 22 acres of vines in the Premier Cru village of Hautvilliers a town famed as the home of Dom Perignon. The quality of this grower-producer really took a major step forward in 2007 when the latest generation, Laure Nicaise-Préaux and her husband Clement Préaux, officially started working at the house to help with the winemaking. Clément apprenticed at Selosse and worked at the Mailly co-op so he came armed with great training and experience. As his father-in-law has slowly yielded more control to him, Clement has lowered the dosages and improved the overall balance in the wines. From the excellent 2012 vintage this Chardonnay dominated (80%) Brut displays an effusive array of bright orchard fruits combined with outstanding precision and length. Drinks like a vintage Grande Marque costing twice its modest price.
- Item #: i_325707Bottle Size: 750MLElodie Bosser is a fanatic about working only with best possible fruit and making sure that its quality is reflected in the finished product. A blend of 60% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir, this is a forward and engaging Champagne that greets one with fresh aromas of biscuits, lemon curd and poached pears. Refreshingly crisp, but not austere in the least, the palate presents a well-meshed melange of peach, lemon drop and mineral notes followed up with a well-tapered finish of toast and baking spices. Simply put, Brut Tradition is a versatile and crowd-pleasing Champagne that exudes a class rarely found in its price range.
- Item #: i_375873Bottle Size: 750ml70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay. 2010 base vintage with 50% reserves from 30 different years.
Pierre comes from a long line of wine growers (since 1610), following Leon, Henri and Paul who transmitted this passion which is so unique of Recoltant-Manipulants, those Champagne growers who bottle and sell their wines under their own labels. Backed by these traditions and experience acquired over the years, Pierre and his wife Sophie are now developing this know-how, keeping pace with technological advances, but always remaining in harmony with nature.
Our terroir is located on the edge of Montagne de Reims. Our village, Ambonnay, is a Grand Cru Village, only one of seventeen having earned this label of excellence. On the seven acres we cultivate with care, we create seven Grand Cru vintages. Thanks to this unique soil, out Pinot Noir black grapes and our Chardonnay white grapes express their full natural richness.
- Item #: i_352670Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Firm and smoky, this tightly knit Champagne is dense and focused, showing a subtle mix of patisserie apple, toast, plum compote and mandarin orange peel flavors. This should open with some short-term cellaring. Disgorged November 2015. Best from 2017 through 2020. 3,000 cases made."
The corporate changes that have swept through Champagne in recent years seem sure to rob many old houses of their connection to the past. But one small jewel of a house is moving ever closer to its roots: Philipponnat. It is one of the last houses to be run by a member of its founding family. And Charles Philipponnat is a true Champenois, descended from winemakers, cellarmasters and growers dating back nearly 600 years. Champagne is in Charles’ blood, and this helps to explain Philipponnat’s recent resurgence. Twenty years ago, the house was known largely for its iconic Clos des Goisses—the majestic tête de cuvée made from Champagne’s single greatest vineyard. But under Charles, Philipponnat is gaining reverence for its entire portfolio of richly expressive Champagnes.
- Item #: i_375676Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90STEPHEN TANZER 91 POINTS - "Light gold, with a faint onion skin cast. Spicy orange zest and honeydew on the fragrant, mineral-accented nose. Dry and tightly focused, offering lively Meyer lemon and melon flavors and a deeper suggestion of nectarine. Finishes with building floral character and excellent tangy persistence, leaving bitter citrus zest and dusty mineral notes behind."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Pierre Paillard's Bouzy Grand Cru Brut (the final name has still to be decided when I tasted it in March 2016) is a 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay blend, based on 2011 (65%) and 2010 (35%) that was disgorged with 3.5 grams per liter in September 2015. The wine is pure and subtle, but intense and fruity on the nose - already indicating remarkable finesse. It also has great finesse and purity on the palate; it is light and mineral, so pretty, and full of tension and character with a persistent finish. There are lemon flavors in the aftertaste."
- Item #: i_353880Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS-"The current [2016} release of Pol Roger’s non-vintage Brut “Réserve” is comprised of equal parts Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier and was finished with a dosage of eight grams per liter. The wine ages for a minimum of three years sur latte. The wine delivers a fine bouquet of white peach, apple, distinctive meunier floral tones, brioche, a fine base of soil and a whisper of smokiness in the upper register. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied, focused and racy, with a fine core of fruit, refined mousse, lovey bounce and grip and a long, well-balanced and still fairly youthful finish. I have had very good experiences aging this cuvée in my cellar (and currently have close to the case of the release from 2014 resting comfortably) and feel the current release could be another fine wine for mid-term aging, despite the wine being quite tasty to drink today. 2016-2035."
- Item #: i_373782Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 89 POINTS-"Coulon's NV Brut Heri-Hodie is from a "réserve perpétuelle" and blends 60% Pinot Meunier with 20% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir. The white-golden colored wine has a very delicate, elegant and fruity Meunier bouquet of red berries. The wine shows remarkable finesse and elegance on the palate and is perfectly round, delicate, very fruity and charming but dry and always stimulating. This is nearly dominated by its Meunier part. Dosed with six grams per liter, this is absolutely delicious and filigreed but with aromatic and well-structured length. So delicate and fruity! Bottled in April 2014 and disgorged in November 2017."
A Grower Champagne with incredibly giving with toasty aromas and a very delicate bead. At the same time, with enough full structure to carry you through a meal. It is especially fine for warm hors d'oeuvres and soft cheeses like St. André.
- Item #: i_364530Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS - "Taittinger’s “la Française” bottling of non-vintage Brut is the same cépages as the wine above [i.e. forty percent Chardonnay and a sixty percent mix of Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier], but spend an additional year aging on its fine lees prior to disgorgement, so effectively, this is one year older for its base vintage. I do wish that Taittinger would join with Grandes Marques such as Charles Heidsieck and provide more technical details on their back label, as it would be nice to know the dosage and the date of disgorgement. In any case, the bouquet on the current  release of la Française is excellent, wafting from the glass in a vibrant blend of apple, white peach, fresh-baked bread, white flowers, a very good base of soil tones and just a hint of the smokiness to come with further bottle age. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, crisp 69 and rock solid at the core, with elegant mousse, excellent focus and grip, fine acidity and a long, complex finish. The extra year on the lees really adds mid-palate depth and palate presence here vis à vis the Brut Réserve. As I have mentioned in the past, the dosage for this bottling has decreased noticeably in the last few years and the wine is all the better for it, as there is a mineral precision on the backend today that is exemplary! 2016-2035."
- Item #: i_377201Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"A blend of 70 percent Pinot Noir and 30 percent Chardonnay, this is fragrant and perfumed, its soft red fruit feeling voluptuous in texture and energetic in tone. This is an excellent version of this cuvée, showing an unusual detail and finesse, and it finishes with long, lively length. Last tasted: 3/17."