- Item #: i_352536Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 97Decanter: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Another perfect wine from this brilliant estate is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which matches the otherworldly 2007. A classic blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah brought up all in old foudre, this beauty's deep purple color is followed by a mammoth bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black currants, blueberries, Asian spices, and garrigue. Full-bodied, concentrated, and powerful, it nevertheless is as graceful as a ballerina on the palate and has ultra-fine tannins, a silky, seamless texture, and a finish that just won't quit. Hats off to vigneron Paul-Vincent Avril!"
ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is full-bodied but balanced, with plenty of richness and concentration but also a certain paradoxical lightness. It offers complex garrigue and anise notes, a blend of cherry and raspberry fruit, a silky texture and a long finish that shows no sign of the wine's 15.8% alcohol. For technocrats, the wine's pH is 3.7, which is sufficient acidity to maintain a fine sense of balance. This lovely wine should drink well for at least two decades. Together with the 2015 and the 2017, it will be a compelling trio of wines to follow over the years."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "Yields are always low at Clos des Papes, but this was Vincent Avril's biggest harvest since 2007, with yields of 25hl/ha. A tasting of various different blends highlighted the part played by each main variety, but the final blend shows a young wine that is already aromatically harmonious, bright and detailed. It's fuller-bodied than an average vintage, deep yet fresh. It has a powerful tannic and acidic framework this year, but the wine is very well balanced and very long, with a sublime freshness. An effortlessly brilliant Clos des Papes."
- Item #: i_353205Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 98ROBERT PARKER 98 POINTS: "With its more discreet oak and layers of complexity, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Deus Ex Machina is my favorite release here this year. Layers of dried spices accent raspberries and cherries in this full-bodied, rich and velvety wine. It's more complex and complete than either the Combe des Fous or the Sancto Santorum, longer on the finish and supremely elegant."
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Deus-Ex Machina (60/40 Grenache and Mourvèdre) shows more classic Mourvèdre notes, with blackcurrants, Asian spices, crushed violets, cured meats, and graphite all giving way to a power packed, opulent, hedonistic 2017 that does everything right. Incredible depth of fruit, building tannins, no hard edges, and a finish to die for are all part of the package."
- Item #: i_352105Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 98Vinous Media: 95James Suckling: 97WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS - "Honeysuckle, verbena and chamomile aromas stream out first, followed by a remarkably creamy core of yellow apple, white peach, heather honey and warm mirabelle plum notes. Hazelnut oil and brioche line the finish, adding considerable length. Despite all the lushness and depth, this manages to maintain a sense of tension and precision as well. Amazing wine."
- Item #: i_350726Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "A wine that might surpass the 2009 and 2010 is the 2015 Hermitage La Chapelle, which has more than a passing resemblance to the 1990. This inky black/blue-colored Hermitage offers an off-the-charts array of blackberries, blueberries, crushed rocks, wood smoke and charred meats. Thick, unctuous, full-bodied and incredibly layered, with sweet tannin, it's a tour de force that’s going to have three to four decades of longevity."
- Item #: i_351353Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98VINOUS 96-98 POINTS - "Dark purple. A highly expressive, mineral-accented bouquet evokes fresh blackberry and blueberry, candied flowers, incense and exotic spices. Sweet, palate-staining black and blue fruit liqueur and violet pastille flavors are complicated by suggestions of cracked pepper and bitter chocolate; a spicecake nuance gains strength with aeration. Steadily building tannins add shape and grip to the extremely long, incisive finish, which emphatically repeats the floral and mineral notes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this wine turn out as well as the amazing 2015 version."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The flagship 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle is slightly more focused and concentrated, yet is still one sexy red that shines in the vintage. Inky colored, with loads of toasted spices, smoked meats and graphite characteristics, it has full-bodied richness, a terrific core of ripe Syrah fruit, fine tannin, and a great finish. Give it 2-4 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Winemaker Jacques Devernois likens the 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle to a woman’s red dress, calling it charming and flashy. It looks like it will appeal young, as this prospective sample had ample concentration but was also supple in feel. Hints of smoke, crushed stone and pencil shavings frame cassis fruit in this full-bodied and creamy-textured wine. It finishes long, with hints of vanilla and great freshness. (JC)
- Item #: i_353789Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-100Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 93-95Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve it unquestionably one of the wines of the vintage. Offering incredible spice, violets, roasted meats, black licorice, cassis and incense, this full-bodied beauty is as ethereal and elegant as they come, yet packs huge amounts of intensity, depth, and length in its perfectly balanced personality. Possessing ultra-fine tannin, a layered mid-palate and a great finish, it’s surprisingly already accessible but will cruise for two decades given its balance and purity. I can’t think of another vintage from Jean-Paul that shows this style of elegance and finesse."
WINE ADVOCATE 97-100 POINTS - "Tasting just like the Les Trois Source (they come from the same terroir), yet with just another level of polish and purity to its tannin and fruit, the sensational 2015 Châteauneuf du Pape Reserve offers layers of black raspberries, blueberries, crushed violets and black licorice. Thick, unctuous, layered and multi-dimensional, it’s a hard (and expensive) bottle to find, but is certainly one of the most singular and impressive wines made in the world."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "This is well-packed and intense, with a wide range of blueberry, blackberry, boysenberry and raspberry pâte de fruit notes laced with anise, black tea and singed mesquite details. Despite the density, this is remarkably refined, with graphite and chalky minerality deftly stitched throughout. Very long. Best from 2020 through 2045. 200 cases made, 50 cases imported."
- Item #: i_353792Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "A modern-day legend in the making is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve from Jean-Paul Daumen, one of the greatest young wines I’ve ever tasted. This Grenache-dominated effort was brought up all in foudre and tastes like the essence of this incredible terroir located on the northern edge of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Deep purple-colored, with an intoxicating bouquet of black raspberries, crushed herbs, black licorice, spring flowers, and spice, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, a deep, multi-dimensional texture, a huge mid-palate, and a finish that goes on for over a minute. Not far off the style of the Les Trois Sources, yet with another level of concentration, it has a certain accessibility yet won’t be at its best for another 4-5 years, but it will keep for another two decades or more."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "Intense, featuring warmed fig, blackberry and black currant compote flavors that spill forth, harnessed just in time by licorice snap, worn leather and roasted alder accents. Garrigue elements are inlaid throughout. Shows power and depth, with cut and drive to match. Very serious. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. Best from 2022 through 2040. 250 cases made, 50 cases imported."
- Item #: i_353791Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "My wine of the vintage is the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Reserve, which is in the same league as the other greats from this estate including the 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010, and 2016. Revealing a deep purple color as well as a massive bouquet of crème de cassis, violets, graphite, black licorice, and hints of pepper garrigue, it hits the palate with a massive array of fruit, full-bodied richness, no hard edges, and enough sweet tannins to warrant another 5-7 years of bottle age. Based all on very old vine Grenache from sandy soils just across the street from the domaine (the Trois Source has a large portion of its blend from a similar terroir), brought up all in foudre, it’s a singular, heavenly wine from Jean-Paul Daumen that’s going to go down as one of the greats from Châteauneuf du Pape."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "