- Item #: i_353387Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
Chateau Cambon is the joint venture to produce great, natural Beaujolais between the famed estates of Marcel Lapierre and Joseph Chamonard. In 1981, his path would be forever changed by Jules Chauvet, a man whom many now call his spiritual godfather. Chauvet was a winemaker, a researcher, a chemist, and a viticultural prophet. It was he who, upon the advent of chemical fertilizers and pesticides in the 1950s, first spoke out for “natural wine,” harkening back to the traditional methods of the Beaujolais. Joined by local vignerons Guy Breton, Jean-Paul Thévenet, Joseph Chamonard and Jean Foillard, Marcel spearheaded a group that soon took up the torch of this movement. This was the Gang of Five. They were rebels that called for a return to the old practices of viticulture and vinification: starting with old vines, never using synthetic herbicides or pesticides, harvesting late, rigorously sorting to remove all but the healthiest grapes, adding minimal doses of sulfur dioxide or none at all, and disdaining chaptalization. Marcel was recently joined by his son Mathieu, and together they took the natural wine philosophy one step further, following organic and biodynamic vineyard practices. The end of the 2010 vintage was Marcel’s last. He passed away at the end of the harvest— a poetic farewell for a man that forever changed our perception of Beaujolais. Mathieu, his son, Marie his wife and his two daughters, Camille & Anne continue the great work that Marcel began. The Cambon wines are from a parcel planted in 1914 on a mixture of granite and chalkclay in St. Jean d’Ardieres (to the east of Brouilly next to Morgon) and this is an exceedingly tasty, fresh and easy-going Gamay. Cambon is situated on the plain here and many of the parcels of the estate bump against these two crus, but none of them are inside the delimited AOCs, therefore only Beaujolais can be produced at this estate. The elevage for both wines takes place in 7,000 L foudres, natural yeast fermentations for both and everything else is done in cuve. No sulphur is added at bottling and 1,250 bottles are produced each vintage on average.
- Item #: i_334081Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "This is light-bodied but backed by focused acidity and streamlined flavors of pure cherry and raspberry that are tangy and spicy, flanked by white pepper, tea and herb details."
- Item #: i_333771Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 93 POINTS - "Brilliant violet color. A suave, mineral-accented bouquet evokes ripe red/blue fruits and candied flowers and a spicy nuance builds in the glass. Bright, seamless and appealingly sweet, offering concentrated yet lively raspberry and boysenberry flavors that firm up slowly with aeration. Ripe but graceful in style, finishing gently tannic and impressively long, leaving a sexy lavender pastille note behind."
Michel Chignard is a modest perfectionist who has been practicing his craft for 4 decades. His son, Cédric, now oversees the domaine with as much care as his father. The Chignard family is fortunate to own vineyards in one of the best sites of the Fleurie appellation in Beaujolais; "Les Moriers" is a 8 hectare parcel that extends into Moulin-a-Vent territory. These 60 year old vines have roots that run deep accessing minerals from the granite subsoil thus imparting that classic Fleurie freshness and "gout de terroir".
This wine beautifully expresses the terroir of "Les Moriers"; it is fresh and playful, with deep ripe fruit and finesse.
- Item #: i_351641Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Morgon Bellevue Sable comes from younger vines, planted on Viala rootstock in sandy soils—as the "sable" newly added to its label makes clear. Revealing aromas of blackberries, smoked meats, cracked pepper and violets, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and muscular, with powdery structuring tannin, juicy acids and a blockier, more reserved profile than the Chiroubles and Brouilly that preceded it. This will demand a couple of years' patience before it shows all its cards."
- Item #: i_353036Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 92 POINTS: "Shimmering ruby. Deep-pitched, expansive aromas of ripe dark berries, cherry cola, licorice and baking spices are lifted by a smoky mineral quality. Sappy and expansive on the palate, offering intense blackberry, bitter cherry, spicecake and floral pastille flavors that slowly unfurl and become sweeter on the back half. Closes smooth, smoky and very long, with resonating spice and mineral notes and dusty, even tannins adding gentle grip."
- Item #: i_352950Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Vivid magenta. Expressive red/blue fruit aromas are complemented by suggestions of candied flowers, smoky minerals and baking spices. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering intense black raspberry and boysenberry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Finishes long and smooth, showing excellent clarity, well-knit tannins and resonating floral and mineral character."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "From vines in Quincié and named after Breton's daughter, the 2018 Beaujolais-Villages Cuvée Marylou reveals a lovely bouquet of cherries, citrus zest and strawberries. On the palate, it's medium."
- Item #: i_334204Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Moulin-à-Vent is Rottiers's assemblage of a variety of sites, and it's also showing well. Offering up aromas of dark cherries, spices, chocolate and truffles, it's medium to full-bodied, velvety and layered, with succulent acids, powdery tannins and a long, precise finish."
VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Deep, bright-rimmed ruby. Ripe dark berries, cherry preserves, pungent flowers and smoky minerals on the highly perfumed nose. Offers sappy, spice-accented cherry, blackberry and cola flavors that turn sweeter as the wine stretches out. The floral note comes back on a very long, sweet finish that's framed by fine-grained, well-knit tannins."