- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_351017Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "This is only the ‘basic’ Chambolle from de Vogüé, but the estate made such an impressive array of wines in 2017 that it's well worth seeking out. Deeply coloured for a 2017, this old-vine village red shows François Millet's mastery of the vintage. It's vibrant, precise and deftly oaked, with 15% new wood and a crunchy red cherry and raspberry finish."
- Item #: i_351387Bottle Size: 1.5LDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_352755Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "Muted nose dominated by the 50% new oak, although there are dark fruits lurking beneath the surface. Bright attack, a dramatic style with freshness, lift and pungency without any trace of astringency. Firm finish with good length."
- Item #: i_350398Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 95 PointsDECANTER 95 POINTS: "Simply labelled as premier cru because it combines three parcels (Petite Chapelle, Cherbaudes and Bel Air), all of them planted with old, low-yielding vines. This is another superb release from Arnaud Mortet, made with 30% while bunches and aged in 70% new wood. It's a sweet, plush, succulent red with fine-boned tannins, glossy dark berry fruit and a long, polished finish."
- Item #: i_350603Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90-92Its position close to “Lavaux-Saint-Jacques”, gives a fruity, fresh wine with excellent structure. The cold factor of the valley bestows this wine with superb length on the palate.
- Item #: i_353090Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 92 PointsBURGHOUND 92 POINTS -" A more restrained nose reluctantly offers up a bit more deeply pitched nose of violet, plum and anise hints. The sleek, delicious and beguilingly vibrant medium weight flavors culminate in a dusty, complex and sneaky long finish. While this is labeled as a villages, it performs at a 1er level."
DECANTER 92 POINTS -"Dominique Lafon uses his young-vine fruit from Santenots and En Champans to make this delightfully drinkable village Volnay. Crunchy, fresh and vibrant, it has pomegranate and wild strawberry fruit, gentle, fine-grained tannins and some sweet spice from 20% new wood."
- Item #: i_351626Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "A beautifully layered nose offers up notes of liqueur-like plum, warm earth and a lovely array of spice and floral elements. The exceptionally rich and generously proportioned flavors are unusually seductive in the context of what is typical for the appellation, all wrapped in a velvety, sappy and palate coating finish where a hint of wood appears. This too should drink well young."
WINE ADVOVCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was perhaps the one grand cru that I felt was a little disjointed and did not quite deliver the vivacity of the Chapelle-Chambertin or Latricières. It includes 40% whole bunch fruit and was depleted by 30% because of the frost, but it just came across a little dolorous at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little foursquare and conservative and just needs more of the flamboyance and blue fruit you associate with this vineyard. Maybe this Bonnes-Mares just got stage fright on the day I visited? They’ve done it! “What have they done, exactly," you rightfully ask. Well, Drouhin-Laroze has finally produced a clutch of wines commensurate with their stellar array of holdings. Without wishing any disrespect to Philippe Drouhin, since first encountering their wines in the late nineties, myself and other mavens felt that they were a bit 'over-produced.' Maybe picked too late? Certainly they were often burdened with an excessive use of new oak that obfuscated terroir, and when you have half a dozen grand crus under your wing, that is a shame."
- Item #: i_353393Bottle Size: 750mlFrom importer Kermit Lynch: Jean-Marc’s wines certainly express a certain depth and sumptuousness, however his wines also show focus and restraint. Their elegance and amazing precision lend themselves to long aging in the cellars. Jean-Marc loves cooking believes the strong mineral backbone of his wines and their fresh acidity marry well with food. This is why one is more likely to find their wines in restaurants rather than in wine shops.
- Item #: i_351660Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "A brooding deeply pitched and softly spicy nose reflects plenty of earth and sauvage characters to the dark berry aromas that are trimmed in soft wood nuances. There is excellent size, weight and power to the muscular flavors that exude a subtle minerality on the imposingly structured and youthfully austere finish that is sneaky long. This is a big 2017 that is supported by chewy but not really rustic tannins that make clear that at least some patience is advisable."
- Item #: i_351661Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94BURGHOUND 93 POINTS-SWEET SPOT!: "A whiff of spiced herbal tea sits atop the array of naturally exotic red and dark pinot fruit where an interesting hint of tangerine skin lurks in the background. The round, rich and very seductively textured medium weight flavors brim with minerality on the complex and beautifully persistent finish. This moderately firm effort possesses unusually good density for the vintage and is a wine to consider."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "The 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets displays pretty aromas of cassis and blackberries that mingle with wood smoke, spices, rich soil and dried flowers in a complex bouquet that's deftly framed by toasty new oak. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, ample and layered, with good concentration and depth and a fine-grained chassis of tannin."
- Item #: i_353307Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "Charles van Canneyt's 0.7ha block was planted in three tranches - in the 1950s, 1970 and 1990. It has produced a wine that combines the joyous fruit flavours of the best 2017s with more precision and acidity than many wines seem to possess. It's balanced and nuanced, with sweet vanilla spice from 30% new oak."
- Item #: i_343404Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95 PointsDecanter: 95 PointsDECANTER 95 POINTS - "More forward than many producers' Beaumonts (or Beaux Monts as most domaines label it), this enticingly aromatic premier cru comes from two parcels on the slope above the village of Vosne, planted in the 1940s and 1990s. Fragrant and refined, it has lots of sumptuous raspberry fruit, chalky minerality and sculpted tannins."
- Item #: i_352977Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Aromas of cassis, dark plums, baking chocolate and rosehip introduce the 2016 Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale, a full-bodied, rich and layered wine with a broad-shouldered chassis of fine, stony tannins that are entirely enveloped in fleshy, gourmand fruit. This vintage is atypically rich and concentrated, so it's hard to predict if and when it will shut down."
BURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "This is appealingly super-fresh with its cool array of red currant, plum, earth and soft wisps of violet and lavender. The supple, round and utterly delicious medium-bodied flavors possess a really lovely mouthfeel thanks to the relatively fine-grained tannins that also shape the punchy, dusty and serious finale. I like the sense of harmony and this notably complex effort should be easily capable of rewarding 10 to 12 years of cellaring and holding for much longer."
- Item #: i_321337Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 91-93It was in 1830 that the GROS family set up in Vosne-Romanée. Today, Michel GROS, sixth generation of this dynasty of winemakers, continues and develops the work undertaken by his ancestors, as do his sister (Domaine AF Gros), his brother (Domaine Gros Frère et Soeur) and his cousin (Domaine Anne Gros). Passionate but also very rigorous, Michel GROS brings constant care to the development of his wines, by mastering all the stages of production, from vine through to bottling. Modest and unassuming, he expresses himself through his wines: generous, fine, elegant, of reliable and even quality. Michel GROS and all his team invite you to discover this universe of hard work and exigency, but also of sharing and passion.
- Item #: i_351319Bottle Size: 750mlThe young Pierre-Yves Colin is rapidly becoming one of most highly regarded winemakers in Burgundy. He has been making the wine at Marc Colin, the family Domaine, for over 10 years. He went to enology school in Beaune and worked at Chalk Hill as well as wineries in the Northern Rhône, Languedoc and Loire before returning to Burgundy.The approach in both the vineyard and the winery is natural and non-interventionist. At Domaine Marc Colin he eliminated the use of herbicides in most of the vineyards and switched to plowing, which deepens the root system and improves the flavors of the wine. He follows the same program at his estate vineyards.Pierre-Yves also prefers unusual barrels – about 80% of them are 50% larger than normal Burgundy barrels. Depending on the vintage, most of the top wines are aged in new oak, but the larger barrels minimize the oak influence and also delay the malolactic fermentation. The cellar is also kept very cold to further delay the malolactic fermentation – which ideally finishes 8-9 months after harvest. Approximately 18 months after harvest the wines are lightly fined and then bottled. The extended elévage helps preserve aromatic intensity and purity as well as giving the wines the right balance for long-term ageing.