- Item #: i_352449Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS "...opening reluctantly in the glass to reveal aromas of red berries, grilled meat and warm spices. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny but dense, with a deep, concentrated core and chalky structuring tannins. This will need more time than the comparatively precocious 2017 rendition."
- Item #: i_321139Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 91Decanter: 90 PointsDECANTER 90 POINTS - "An overperforming village wine, the Champs Perdrix is reminiscent of a miniature premier cru Petits Monts, offering up an attractive bouquet of rose petal, wild berries and spice. On the palate the wine is juicy, fine-grained and medium-bodied, with detailed, chalky tannins."
- Item #: i_351941Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97-99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 - 99 POINTS - "The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Combe des Fous is the classic blend of mostly Grenache mixed with a small amount of Syrah and Vaccarèse. It's a huge, unctuous effort that packs an incredible amount of blackcurrants, garrigue, pepper and dried flowers into its balanced, elegant, layered personality. It picks up a charcuterie meatiness with time in the glass, as well as the telltale melted licorice characteristic of perfectly ripe Grenache. Count me as a fan and this heavenly juice shouldn't be missed by any Rhône lover."
- Item #: i_351506Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS, SWEET SPOT OUTSTANDING - "A background whiff of wood easily allows the earthy yet quite pretty aromas of plum, violet, dark cherry and soft spice nuances to shine. The mouth feel of the slightly bigger and richer flavors is also admirably sleek while delivering excellent length on the mouth coating and well-balanced finish. This is perhaps a bit less structured than is usually the case as it should be reasonably approachable young if that's your preference." DRINK 2028+
- Item #: i_351304Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets was not touched by frost this vintage according to winemaker Thomas Bouley. It has a very focused, energetic bouquet that unfurls with alacrity in the glass, offering more black fruit than red and subtle earthy/loamy tones. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, a crisp line of acidity, bright and tensile with just a little attenuation on the finish that I am sure will not be there once in bottle. Give this 3 or 4 years in bottle and you will have a quintessential Caillerets."
BURGHOUND 90 - 92 POINTS - "A whiff of wood is present on the pretty and airy mix of raspberry, cherry, lavender and soft spice nuances. There is a beguiling inner mouth perfume to the super-refined and well-detailed flavors that are also quite delicate on the lingering finish. This is a textbook Carelles, which is to say a wine of lace and grace."
- Item #: i_351618Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94TIM ATKIN 95 POINTS - "Damaged by hail in 2014 and by frost in 2016, this is not the luckiest of Côte de Beaune vineyards but there’s no denying the exceptional quality of its best wines. Made with 66% whole bunches and 40% new wood, it’s a rich, smoky, densely layered wine with bloody, ferrous tannins and supporting fruit sweetness. 2022-32."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "(one-third vendange entier; 40% new oak; just racked following a very late malo): Healthy medium red. Compelling aromas and flavors of redcurrant, iron, rose petal and minerals. At once silky and penetrating, with its sweetness perfectly balanced by harmonious acidity. Shows captivating rose petal perfume throughout. The seriously tannic, floral finish displays real length and grip. This wine should age beautifully but even today there's no hardness. The crop was reduced by about 30% due to the frost, noted winemaker Sieve.'
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens Cuvée Hubert apparently had a very late malolactic that did not finish until September or October. Similar to the previous two vintages, it comes from the lieu-dit "Les Rugiens-Bas." It has a complex and inviting bouquet with black cherries, crushed rose petals and undergrowth aromas, just a suggestion of dried blood emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied, the 40% new oak is absorbed by the fleshy red fruit, and it is adorned with a lovely, ferrous finish. Drink over the next 15 or 20 years."
- Item #: i_350645Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Les Evocelles seems to have a natural swagger about it. Nothing ostentatious here, just a wine seemingly comfortable in its own skin with blackberry and crushed strawberry scents mixed with wet limestone. The palate is brimming with pure red fruit, just pure pinoté, just a joy from start to finish. I could have eloped with the barrel sample. Then again, that would not have pleased Denis."
- Item #: i_350604Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux was not affected by frost and yielded a good quantity to the surprise of Arnaud Mortet —30 hectoliters per hectare. Matured with 50% whole bunch and up to 70% new oak, it has a generous, almost peppermint-tinged bouquet with great vigor and vivacity. The palate is medium-bodied with ripe tannin, good weight and plenty of blood orange-tinged black fruit. It is slightly attenuated right on the finish but this should flesh out once in bottle. This is how to make a great Les Champeaux."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.
- Item #: i_351626Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "A beautifully layered nose offers up notes of liqueur-like plum, warm earth and a lovely array of spice and floral elements. The exceptionally rich and generously proportioned flavors are unusually seductive in the context of what is typical for the appellation, all wrapped in a velvety, sappy and palate coating finish where a hint of wood appears. This too should drink well young."
WINE ADVOVCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was perhaps the one grand cru that I felt was a little disjointed and did not quite deliver the vivacity of the Chapelle-Chambertin or Latricières. It includes 40% whole bunch fruit and was depleted by 30% because of the frost, but it just came across a little dolorous at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little foursquare and conservative and just needs more of the flamboyance and blue fruit you associate with this vineyard. Maybe this Bonnes-Mares just got stage fright on the day I visited? They’ve done it! “What have they done, exactly," you rightfully ask. Well, Drouhin-Laroze has finally produced a clutch of wines commensurate with their stellar array of holdings. Without wishing any disrespect to Philippe Drouhin, since first encountering their wines in the late nineties, myself and other mavens felt that they were a bit 'over-produced.' Maybe picked too late? Certainly they were often burdened with an excessive use of new oak that obfuscated terroir, and when you have half a dozen grand crus under your wing, that is a shame."
- Item #: i_350573Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS > - "Pure and intense, featuring cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors, this red is seductive and approachable despite its youth. The solid structure is seamlessly integrated and bodes well for future development. Shows terrific harmony and expression.'
VINOUS 92 - 95 POINTS - "Bright, dark red-ruby. Medicinal blueberry and licorice aromas are lifted by a minty high note; less showy and more restrained on the nose than the Taillepieds and Caillerets today. Then wonderfully dense, primary and pure on the palate, but more vertical and less opulent than the Taillepieds and Caillerets. Strong mineral energy accentuates the impression of vibrancy. A bit less open to inspection today owing to its firm tannic spine."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A fresh yet notably ripe nose is composed by liqueur-like aromas of plum, spice and earth. The delicious, refined and once again strikingly pure flavors are a bit less muscular and mineral-driven than those of the Taillepieds yet the tannic spine shaping the lingering if ever-so-slightly warm finish is just as firm. This is going to require at least moderate patience before it begins to be approachable. *Sweet Spot, Outstanding*"
- Item #: i_351207Bottle Size: 750mlThe Lafarge's have been vignerons in Volnay since the 18th century. They started bottling in the early 1900's, a rarity for a small estate. They have had loyal customers for generations, selling their own wine in barrels to Parisian restaurants as far back as the 1850's. Their history may not be as visible as a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti but is perhaps even more remarkable. For it is easier, if not less honorable, for people whose income does not solely depend on an estate to pursue quality. And it is also harder to allow oneself to slip when one is constantly in the limelight. The greatness of these wines will hit you after you've visited the whole vintage, after you're familiar with everybody else's take. It's a year later and you've tasted back and forth throughout the Cote, you've done your work, you're intellectually armed. You spot that bottle of Lafarge. You know the estate intimately, you're a fan. What could possibly surprise you more than it being excellent. But at the first sip, the word genius escapes in a whisper. Because these wines are exactly what the vintage should be. And this, vintage after vintage, come rain or shine. The wines of Domaine Michel Lafarge are infallible. And they are so great they don't come to you, you have to work up to them.
- Item #: i_351204Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "The Mitans is lovely this year, opening in the glass with a pretty bouquet of cherry, raspberry, subtle coffee, game bird and a top note of peony. The wine is classy and deep, with a rich chassis of velvety tannins and a deep core of bright fruit. The finish is long and incipiently complex."
Drinking Window 2026 - 2040
- Item #: i_351940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94ALLEN MEADOWS, BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "The ripe and ultra-fresh aromas are from the darker side of the fruit spectrum while including plenty of spice, warm earth, menthol and plenty of sauvage character. There is both fine detail and a beguiling texture to the equally broad-shouldered and even more mineral-inflected flavors that possess even better complexity on the balanced and hugely long finish. Unusually, this appears to be just a bit less structured than the Bressandes and should also be approachable on the younger side if that’s your preference." 2028+
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru has more richness and intensity than the Corton-Bressandes at this early stage, with layers of black cherry and raspberry coulis, brown spices and sous-bois surfacing with time. There is certainly good complexity here. The palate is fresh and detailed on the entry, fine-grained tannin, well-judged acidity and a lively, judiciously spiced finish that feels long and caressing. Bon vin."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "Full ruby-red. Darker and more reticent on the nose than the Bressandes, conveying a stronger element of stony minerality and a note of licorice. Then vivacious and sharply delineated in the mouth but much more closed than the Bressandes owing to its mineral energy. Finishes with suave, fine-grained tannins and excellent grip. Very classy juice!"
- Item #: i_351808Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "The Clos du Verseuil, a monopole of the domaine, is one of Clerget’s best cuvées in 2016. Matured in 30% new oak, it has a pure but rather reserved bouquet of raw cocoa, blackberry and cherry, leading into a full-bodied, ample and harmonious palate with a svelte, textural attack, perfectly ripe tannins and nicely succulent acidity. The combination of vibrant fruit with textural generosity is very alluring indeed." Drinking Window 2022 - 2040
- Item #: i_352050Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 90 - 93 POINTS, OUTSTANDING - " Here the equally elegant nose is even cooler and more restrained with a similar aromatic profile. The sleek, intense and more voluminous flavors possess plenty of muscle and punch before culminating in a dusty, serious and notably more structured finish. In contrast to the prior wines, all of which could be approached in their youth, this beauty is clearly going to require at least some patience and 12 to 15 if you wish to experience it at its apogee."
- Item #: i_351458Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A brooding nose only reluctantly reveals notes of ripe and ultra-fresh dark currant, earth and a smoked game nuance. There is outstanding density to the powerful, robust and bold big-bodied flavors that possess seriously good concentration where the sap does a good job of buffering the very firm tannic spine shaping the superbly persistent finish. This is textbook Vaucrains and as such, it's going to need extended."
- Item #: i_351663Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94BURGHOUND 94 POINTS: "Outstanding!"A very pure extract of red pinot fruit-suffused nose is liberally cut with earth and rose petal hints that are also trimmed in just enough wood to remark upon. The rich, full-bodied and tautly muscular medium weight plus flavors have an abundance of mouth coating extract that helps to buffer the prominent supporting tannins that make clear that an extended period of cellar time will be required if you wish to see this mineral-driven beauty at its peak."
- Item #: i_351907Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 91 PointsBURGHOUND 91 - 93 POINTS - "An ultra-fresh nose exhibits a lovely and airy array of essence of red cherry, cranberry and lavender. The cool, pure and equally fresh medium weight flavors possess terrific vibrancy along with first-rate delineation on the mineral-inflected, clean and driving finish. This is excellent and a wine that should age very well as the balance is impeccable."
JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS
DECANTER 91 POINTS
- Item #: i_351411Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - OUTSTANDING - "This is appealingly super-fresh with its cool array of red currant, plum, earth and soft wisps of violet and lavender. The supple, round and utterly delicious medium-bodied flavors possess a really lovely mouthfeel thanks to the relatively fine-grained tannins that also shape the punchy, dusty and serious finale. I like the sense of harmony and this notably complex effort should be easily capable of rewarding 10 to 12 years of cellaring and holding for much longer." DRINK 26+