- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_352449Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS "...opening reluctantly in the glass to reveal aromas of red berries, grilled meat and warm spices. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny but dense, with a deep, concentrated core and chalky structuring tannins. This will need more time than the comparatively precocious 2017 rendition."
- Item #: i_321278Bottle Size: 750MLDECANTER - "The Clos du Fonteny is quite delicate and refined this year, a far cry from stereotypical Gevrey-Chambertin. Aromas of griotte cherry, fresh herbs, rich soil and dried flowers precede a supple, texturally expansive wine with an open core and an attractive elegance."
- Item #: i_321139Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 91Decanter: 90 PointsDECANTER 90 POINTS - "An overperforming village wine, the Champs Perdrix is reminiscent of a miniature premier cru Petits Monts, offering up an attractive bouquet of rose petal, wild berries and spice. On the palate the wine is juicy, fine-grained and medium-bodied, with detailed, chalky tannins."
- Item #: i_351017Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "This is only the ‘basic’ Chambolle from de Vogüé, but the estate made such an impressive array of wines in 2017 that it's well worth seeking out. Deeply coloured for a 2017, this old-vine village red shows François Millet's mastery of the vintage. It's vibrant, precise and deftly oaked, with 15% new wood and a crunchy red cherry and raspberry finish."
- Item #: i_351387Bottle Size: 1.5LDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_352755Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "Muted nose dominated by the 50% new oak, although there are dark fruits lurking beneath the surface. Bright attack, a dramatic style with freshness, lift and pungency without any trace of astringency. Firm finish with good length."
- Item #: i_333891Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "A dense, well-structured style, yet with ample black cherry, blackberry, violet and iron flavors for balance. This red unfolds nicely, leaving a complex finish that introduces an accent of bittersweet chocolate. Excellent length."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "This is also quite ripe yet retains a lovely freshness to the cassis, black cherry, lavender and warm earth scents. There is excellent power and volume to the concentrated, intense and mouth coating big-bodied flavors that culminate in an impressively long and balanced finish. This possesses both good power and superb length and is absolutely one to consider."
- Item #: i_345020Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Burghound: 90-93BURGHOUND 94 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "A discreet application of wood frames aromas that, much like the Epenots, are super-ripe yet manage to maintain reasonably good freshness to the poached plum and violet-scented nose. This too is nothing short of massively concentrated, ripe and sumptuously opulent with a subtle minerality that helps to add lift to the borderline thick and ever-so-slightly warm finish. This muscular effort is also most impressive in its fashion though it's absolutely one to buy and then forget you own it. *Outstanding*"
VINOUS 94 POINTS: "Good ruby-red. A distinctly different expression of Pommard from the Grand Clos des Epenots, with the nose dominated by darkest berries, minerals and chocolate. Densely packed and highly concentrated but less open to inspection than the Grand Clos des Epenots; very closed in on itself but already suggests outstanding complexity. Very broad, firm tannins saturate the entire palate and the very long, rising finish leaves the tongue glistening. Classic white-soil Rugiens: already complex on the nose but in need of cellaring to gain in pliancy and expand."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "There’s plenty of black cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors in this red, along with a backbone of assertive, dusty tannins. All the elements are in the correct proportion, but just need time to integrate. The long aftertaste also indicates potential"
- Item #: i_351618Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94TIM ATKIN 95 POINTS - "Damaged by hail in 2014 and by frost in 2016, this is not the luckiest of Côte de Beaune vineyards but there’s no denying the exceptional quality of its best wines. Made with 66% whole bunches and 40% new wood, it’s a rich, smoky, densely layered wine with bloody, ferrous tannins and supporting fruit sweetness. 2022-32."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "(one-third vendange entier; 40% new oak; just racked following a very late malo): Healthy medium red. Compelling aromas and flavors of redcurrant, iron, rose petal and minerals. At once silky and penetrating, with its sweetness perfectly balanced by harmonious acidity. Shows captivating rose petal perfume throughout. The seriously tannic, floral finish displays real length and grip. This wine should age beautifully but even today there's no hardness. The crop was reduced by about 30% due to the frost, noted winemaker Sieve.'
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens Cuvée Hubert apparently had a very late malolactic that did not finish until September or October. Similar to the previous two vintages, it comes from the lieu-dit "Les Rugiens-Bas." It has a complex and inviting bouquet with black cherries, crushed rose petals and undergrowth aromas, just a suggestion of dried blood emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied, the 40% new oak is absorbed by the fleshy red fruit, and it is adorned with a lovely, ferrous finish. Drink over the next 15 or 20 years."
- Item #: i_350604Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux was not affected by frost and yielded a good quantity to the surprise of Arnaud Mortet —30 hectoliters per hectare. Matured with 50% whole bunch and up to 70% new oak, it has a generous, almost peppermint-tinged bouquet with great vigor and vivacity. The palate is medium-bodied with ripe tannin, good weight and plenty of blood orange-tinged black fruit. It is slightly attenuated right on the finish but this should flesh out once in bottle. This is how to make a great Les Champeaux."
- Item #: i_350398Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 95 PointsDECANTER 95 POINTS: "Simply labelled as premier cru because it combines three parcels (Petite Chapelle, Cherbaudes and Bel Air), all of them planted with old, low-yielding vines. This is another superb release from Arnaud Mortet, made with 30% while bunches and aged in 70% new wood. It's a sweet, plush, succulent red with fine-boned tannins, glossy dark berry fruit and a long, polished finish."
- Item #: i_350603Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90-92Its position close to “Lavaux-Saint-Jacques”, gives a fruity, fresh wine with excellent structure. The cold factor of the valley bestows this wine with superb length on the palate.
- Item #: i_345431Bottle Size: 750MLROBERTPARKER.COM 93 POINTS: "Tasted blind at the Burgfest 2014 tasting, the 2014 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu from Comtes Lafon is blessed with a sensual bouquet with plenty of dark cherry and blueberry fruit, maybe a slight malic scent just underneath. The palate is medium-bodied with sappy red berry fruit, a fine line of acidity, fresh and tensile with impressive mineralité coming through toward the finish. This is a stylish, well-crafted Santenots that should age well in bottle and may eventually merit a higher score. Tasted September 2017."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.