- Item #: i_344004Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "The 1998 Calon-Ségur, blended of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot, is deep garnet-purple in color with just a touch of brick and a very earthy/meaty nose with notions of new leather, smoked game, truffles, dusty soil, iron ore and mossy bark over a core of crème de cassis, preserved plums, spice cake and unsmoked cigars plus a waft of incense. The palate is medium-bodied and packed with spicy and earthy layers with velvety tannins, seamless freshness and great length."
- Item #: i_354193Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A garage operation, this cuvee of 70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Franc enjoys the so-called 200% new oak treatment. There are about 3,000 cases, a relatively large amount for a vin de garage. Possibly the finest La Couspaude to date, the 1998 displays flamboyant notes of toasty new oak as well as an exotic personality. Unctuous, thick, full-bodied, seamless flavors redolent with plums, cherry liqueur, and vanillin cascade over the palate. Low acidity and plush, concentrated, jammy fruit add to the impressive, hedonistic qualities of this explosively rich wine."
- Item #: i_351436Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "Pale to medium garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Pavie Macquin simply sings with incredibly pure, spritely notes of blueberry preserves, blackberry pie and black cherry compote, revealing loads of eucalyptus, mocha, dried lavender and Chinese five spice accents. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is has wonderfully seductive blue and black fruit layers, framed by velvety tannins and the perfect amount of freshness to create tantalizing tension, finishing with incredible length and depth. Effortlessly delicious and yet possessing plenty of subtext for intellectual stimulation, I just love where this compelling '98 is at right now!"(5/2018)
- Item #: i_353177Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Medium garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Peby Faugeres opens with a decadently fruity nose of blueberry compote, plum preserves and dark chocolate with wafts of sweaty leather, camphor, chocolate box and Ceylon tea plus a hint of truffles. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is chock-full of black and blue fruit preserves with the acid sitting nice and subtle in the background and plenty plush tannic structure in the forefront. It finishes on a lingering earthy, barnyard note. This wine still has a lot of fruit and life ahead of it, but you'll need to be able to appreciate that sweaty leather component to truly love this wine."
- Item #: i_354190Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "You probably remember I am a great fan of 1998 Bordeaux, but only Right Bank and Pessac-Leognan. Well, here is another beauty and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg! It's drinking beautifully now with very fine aromas of chocolate and beer. It's full body, with ultra-fine tannins and a juicy, succulent finish. Decanting an hour would help."(2/2014)
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Intense aromas of black olive and blackberry, with a hint of grilled meat. Full-bodied, with chewy tannins and a long, rich finish. Very powerful and rich. Just starting to come around."
- Item #: i_354191Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: Score above 95 pointsDECANTER 97 POINTS - "One of the wines of the tasting, this has standout quality and is certainly impressive in terms of (relative) value, holding its own next to Figeac and Cheval Blanc. The 17 days over 38°C in August meant the limestone soils were key, as in 1989. It's a beautiful wine, luscious, juicy and rich in black fruits, and still young. The Lurtons owned Clos Fourtet until 1998, when it went to the Cuveliers, so this was Pierre Lurton's last vintage as director - and this means he had a hand in two wines in this line up, which must be pretty unusual! Harvest took place from 28 September to 4 October. Aged in 90% new oak."(2/2019)
- Item #: i_399910Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS: "The 1998 Pavie Decesse is medium to deep garnet-brick in color and explodes with fabulous plum pudding, prunes, blackberry preserves and blueberry pie notes with hints of smoked meats, garrigue, dusty soil, cast iron pan and star anise with dried roses and cinnamon stick wafts. Full-bodied, concentrated and packed with rich exotic spice and black fruit preserves layers, it has loads of mineral and meat sparks and a very, very long, layered finish. Incredible! For cellaring potential, I give it 20+ more years. (LPB) Inner quote mark (5/2018)"
- Item #: i_353417Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Outer quote mark Decadent aromas here, with meat, ripe fruit and spices. Full-bodied, with round, soft tannins and lots of spicy, earthy and leafy flavors. Long and rich."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS