- Item #: i_354225Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 98JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "Amazing dark-berry and black-cherry aromas with hints of black truffles and oyster shell. Full-bodied, super layered and rich with amazing density and texture. Like the richest velvet. Last for minutes. Drink in 2024."
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Bellevue Mondotte showed spectacularly well from barrel and is now even better from bottle. One of the most impressive, sexy, opulent wines in the vintage, it boasts a saturated purple color as well as heavenly notes of crème de cassis, blackcurrants, smoked earth and chocolate. The quintessential Saint Emilion, with almost overflow fruit, full body, and a powerful, concentrated style, give bottles a handful of years in the cellar and drink it over the following 2-3 decades."
- Item #: i_350937Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+James Suckling: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep purple-black, the 2016 Bellevue Mondotte has a dark, seductive, opulent nose of star anise, cumin seed, dried roses, incense and cedar chest over a core of plum preserves, baked blueberries, dates and Christmas cake plus hints of unsmoked cigars and tapenade. The full-bodied palate is a behemoth of fruit with a rock-solid frame to match, featuring firm, grainy tannins and bold freshness, finishing very long and very spicy."
JEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "One of the standouts from the Right Bank is the 2016 Bellevue Mondotte, a powerful, full-bodied, structured effort that offers incredible minerality in its blackcurrant, graphite, new leather and burning ember-like aromas and flavors. A blend of 90% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, from tiny yields and brought up all in new oak, it has remarkable purity and freshness, and is locked and loaded on the palate. Give this monument in the making 4-5 years of bottle age and it will cruise for 2-3 decades in cold cellars."
- Item #: i_344004Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "The 1998 Calon-Ségur, blended of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot, is deep garnet-purple in color with just a touch of brick and a very earthy/meaty nose with notions of new leather, smoked game, truffles, dusty soil, iron ore and mossy bark over a core of crème de cassis, preserved plums, spice cake and unsmoked cigars plus a waft of incense. The palate is medium-bodied and packed with spicy and earthy layers with velvety tannins, seamless freshness and great length."
- Item #: i_350194Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Tasted from an ex-château bottle at BI Wine & Spirits Calon-Segur dinner in London. The 2000 Calon Segur is one of those wines that reminds you how great the millennial vintage could be. Now at fifteen years old, it has a brilliant, vivacious red berry nose infused with ash and cigar box aromas. The detail here is a beguiling and it just "sings" Saint Estèphe. The palate is medium-bodied with dense, firm tannin that provide a rigid backbone, but it is swathed in copious tobacco-drenched black fruit and a superb line of acidity. It finishes with a twist of bitter cherry on the finish that completes what is a deeply impressive Calon-Ségur; it might just outclass the 2005."
- Item #: i_334002Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2009 Calon-Ségur is deep garnet in color and opens with a beautiful fragrance of redcurrant preserves, cassis, black cherry compote and red roses plus nuances of cigar box and cinnamon stick. Medium-bodied and wonderfully elegant in the mouth, it has a compelling line of very ripe, fine-grained tannins and oodles of freshness supporting the fragrant layers, finishing long and perfumed."
- Item #: i_321102Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS: "*Cellar Selection* Firm and structured, this beautifully concentrated wine has plenty of the dark tannins that come out of Cabernet Sauvignon in Saint-Estèphe while allowing room for juicy fruit. The wood aging is still showing, giving some spice to the wine. At the end, it’s the density of the wine that’s so impressive."
- Item #: i_354297Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "This fragrant, lush, seductive wine offers up plum, Christmas spices and crème de cassis. This dense garnet/purple wine also has loads of blackcurrant and black cherry fruit, terrific aromatics, a full-bodied mouthfeel, beautiful purity, texture, and a long, long finish. Once again, the Comte von Neipperg and his winemaking consultant Stéphane Derenoncourt have hit a home run in this vintage. This beauty is approachable, if not drinkable already, and should continue to evolve for 10-15 years. Drink through 2030."
- Item #: i_352274Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "The aromas are very complex with sweet tobacco, black truffles, blueberries and blackberries. Subtle. Menthol, too. Full-bodied yet so elegant. Structure with finesse and purity. The tannins are melted in the wine. Fabulous young wine. Try tasting it from 2023."
- Item #: i_322302Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Tasted single blind against its peers. Chateau Climens always tends to go into its shell after bottling, which is probably why I was not dishing out an even higher score to this still, spellbinding Barsac. The 2007 is endowed with a lovely bouquet: very pure with honey, a touch of orange-blossom and a touch of quince. The palate is very well-balanced with great purity and a dash of spice as well as a lovely viscous, botrytis-laden finish that possesses awesome weight and persistency. This is a slice of heaven in a glass, but it definitely needs time to reveal its true potential. Tasted January 2011."
- Item #: i_346028Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 92-95James Suckling: 97-98ROBERTPARKER.COM 92-94 POINTS: "The 2015 Cos d'Estournel is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23.5% Merlot and 1.5% Cabernet Franc that was picked between 17 September and 5 October at 44 hl/ha. It is being matured in 65% new oak, less than in recent years due to the tannin (IPT is 71). Deeper in color than the 2015 Pagodes, it has a very pure bouquet with tightly knitted blackberry, blueberry and violet scents, perhaps just a little Margaux-like in style. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, well-judged acidity and harmonious in the mouth. What it does not quite deliver is the complexity of a top-tier Cos d'Estournel or the peacock's tail of flavors on the finish, which feels linear and conservative compared to its peers in more southerly appellations. You feel as if the vintage put a tight leash on this Saint Estèphe grandee. There is pedigree in this Grand Vin for sure and it is bound to give up to 20 years of pleasure."
VINOUSMEDIA 92-95 POINTS: A wine of cool sophistication and polish, the 2015 Cos d'Estournel is endowed with striking length and overall balance. Silky tannins support a core of graphite, smoke, licorice, incense, tar and dark spice. The 2015 is perhaps not as aromatically nuanced or expressive as in the very best years (although that may develop in time), but it offers terrific persistence through to the finish. Finesse and nuance are the key signatures in the 2015 Cos. Only 39% of the crop went into the Grand Vin, as opposed to the more typical 50% or so." -- Antonio Galloni
JAMES SUCKLING 97-98 POINTS: "This shows what great selection did in the northern Mêdoc. Big surprise. Really excellent. Full body, chewy and rich tannins and loads of ripe fruit. Black currants, blueberries. It has hot and ripe tannins yet cool fruit."
- Item #: i_354193Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A garage operation, this cuvee of 70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Franc enjoys the so-called 200% new oak treatment. There are about 3,000 cases, a relatively large amount for a vin de garage. Possibly the finest La Couspaude to date, the 1998 displays flamboyant notes of toasty new oak as well as an exotic personality. Unctuous, thick, full-bodied, seamless flavors redolent with plums, cherry liqueur, and vanillin cascade over the palate. Low acidity and plush, concentrated, jammy fruit add to the impressive, hedonistic qualities of this explosively rich wine."
- Item #: i_353668Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+WINE ADVOVCATE 95+ POINTS: "An absolutely spectacular effort, the 2009 is one of the all-time great La Gaffelieres produced. One would have to go back to the 2005, 1947 or 1961 to find this level of quality from this ancient, historic vineyard planted adjacent to the walls of St.-Emilion, on the Cote Pavie. Dating back to the 1400s, this estate has been owned for over three centuries by the Malet-Roquefort family. Composed of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon (in the past it was two-thirds Merlot and the rest split between Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc), the 2009 reveals compelling elegance, tremendous intensity and opulence and more viscosity than one normally sees. While I thought the alcohol was well past 14%, the Chateau claims it is only 13.5%, which is relatively modest in this vintage. Lots of kirsch, licorice, incense, truffle, asphalt, blackberry and cassis notes dominate the aromatics and flavors of this full-bodied, viscous, fabulously pure, flamboyant St.-Emilion. Drinking it now may be considered infanticide by some consumers, but it is already attractive, and should last for 3-4 decades. Kudos to consultant Michel Rolland for fashioning one of the all-time greats from La Gaffeliere."
- Item #: i_353669Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOVCATE 95 POINTS: "Deep garnet colored, the 2010 La Gaffeliere is quite closed to begin, slowly unfurling to give scents of baked raspberries, kirsch, dried mulberries and plum pudding plus nuances of pencil shavings and forest floor. Medium to full-bodied, the palate layers in the savory and earthy flavors with a firm frame of chewy tannins and well-knit freshness, finishing with an herbal lift."
- Item #: i_351436Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "Pale to medium garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Pavie Macquin simply sings with incredibly pure, spritely notes of blueberry preserves, blackberry pie and black cherry compote, revealing loads of eucalyptus, mocha, dried lavender and Chinese five spice accents. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is has wonderfully seductive blue and black fruit layers, framed by velvety tannins and the perfect amount of freshness to create tantalizing tension, finishing with incredible length and depth. Effortlessly delicious and yet possessing plenty of subtext for intellectual stimulation, I just love where this compelling '98 is at right now!"(5/2018)
- Item #: i_353177Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Medium garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Peby Faugeres opens with a decadently fruity nose of blueberry compote, plum preserves and dark chocolate with wafts of sweaty leather, camphor, chocolate box and Ceylon tea plus a hint of truffles. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is chock-full of black and blue fruit preserves with the acid sitting nice and subtle in the background and plenty plush tannic structure in the forefront. It finishes on a lingering earthy, barnyard note. This wine still has a lot of fruit and life ahead of it, but you'll need to be able to appreciate that sweaty leather component to truly love this wine."
- Item #: i_346016Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Vinous Media: 95-98James Suckling: 97-98ROBERTPARKER 94-96 POINTS: "The 2015 Pontet Canet was tasted on two occasions around two weeks apart and I noticed a superior showing the second time around. This year is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot that was picked from 18 September apropos the Merlot and from 28 September for the Cabernet, finishing on 3 October. It is matured in 50% new oak, 35% concrete and 15% one-year-old barrels. It has a pure and perfumed bouquet with small dark cherries, red plum and subtle violet scents, perhaps a little Margaux-like in style, the second showing demonstrating a little more red fruit character. The palate is medium-bodied with a slightly grainy texture on the entry. There is nicely judged acidity here, moderate depth, very supple tannin that lend this a silky texture. There is modest weight towards the second half, perhaps spicier than some of its Pauillac peers with an edgy, lightly peppered finish. It is an intriguing and complex, almost mercurial Pontet-Canet, a wine that I suspect will gain more weight during its élevage. Afford this 5-8 years in bottle and you should have a delicious, intellectual Pontet-Canet on your hands."
VINOUSMEDIA 95-98 POINTS: "One of the wines of the vintage, the 2015 Pontet-Canet oozes class, finesse and pure pedigree. A hypothetical combination of the 2010 (for its dark fruit and tannic structure) and the 2009 (for its voluptuous fruit), the 2015 offers remarkable intensity, power and grace. A host of exotic floral and spice notes wrap around the dark, racy finish. In a word: magnificent! The 2015 is 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, aged 50% in new oak, 35% in terra cotta amphora and 15% in one year-old barrels." -- Antonio Galloni
JAMES SUCKLING 97-98 POINTS: "This is very fine and silky with a beautiful vivid blackberry and blueberry character. Super polished tannins. Refined and very, very long. Fabulous harmony to this young wine. Very classic Bordeaux. Superb depth and length. Real Bordeaux."
- Item #: i_333024Bottle Size: 750MLIts dazzling old gold colour is impressive. The wine has a highly developed, well-integrated bouquet with notes of orange, wax, wood and tobacco with tones of undergrowth. The linear palate is also impressive for its clarity. It reveals spices (turmeric) and citrus aromas, in particular orange, quince, rancio and a trace of bitterness in the finish combined with a hint of saffron which is present in many mature Sauternes wines. It has great persistence. This is a magical wine that is in its prime. With ageing, power has given way to finesse and complexity. This has become a wine that provides a fabulous match for a wide variety of dishes.
- Item #: i_346019Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Wine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS: "A wine I was able to taste on multiple occasions, the 2015 Troplong Mondot is a tour de force that readers need to snatch up. This cuvee comes from the cool, clay and limestone soils on the upper plateau (it’s the highest point in the appellation) and is a blend of 92% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Cabernet Franc, harvest between September 30th and October 21st, that was brought up in 85% new French oak. Sporting a deep, inky color as well as a sensational bouquet of creme de cassis, blackberry, toasted spice, licorice and spring flowers, it’s another huge wine from this estate that has perfect balance between its fruit, oak and tannin, a stacked mid-palate, and an incredible finish. I wrote "crazy good" more than once in my notes. It has enough fruit and texture to drink nicely even today, yet needs 4-5 years of cellaring and will keep for two to three decades. It's one of the great wines of the vintage."
JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS: "Expressive, ripe dark plums swathed in aromas of mocha, toasted baking spices, graphite, blackberries and mulberries. The flavor-soaked palate arrives on suave, velvety tannins, delivering flavors of vibrant, concentrated dark plums, mulberries, dark chocolate and cocoa in a youthful, fresh style. Terrific wine with ultra-long finish. An essay in power and elegance. Essence-like. Best from 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS: "Blended of 90% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Cabernet Franc aged in French oak, 85% new, the deep garnet-purple colored 2015 Troplong Mondot is redolent of warm plums, blackberry tart and blueberry pie with suggestions of underbrush, bay leaves, cedar chest and lavender plus a waft of baking spices. Full-bodied and full-throttle in the mouth, the palate is decadently packed with a solid core of black and blue fruit layers, supported with firm, grainy tannins and finishing with loads of spicy layers. This pedal-to-the-metal beauty is the ultimate indulgence for the hedonists!"
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Offers a gorgeous, caressing, velvety feel, with waves of warmed plum, fig compote and blackberry reduction gliding through, inlaid with notes of graphite, sweet tobacco and black licorice. A light loamy echo adds a pleasant tug of earth at the very end."
- Item #: i_334136Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A beautiful wine and one of my favorites from this estate, this blend of nearly two-thirds Cabernet Sauvignon and one-third Merlot is aging impressively. Dense ruby/purple in color, with creme de cassis, charcoal, and sweet leathery and chocolatey notes intermixed with the classic Pauillac cedar and spice box, the wine is medium to full-bodied, fleshy, with sweet tannin and a long finish."
- Item #: i_344006Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS: "An immaculate wine with pristine blackberries and dark plums as well as fresh, earthy nuances and dark crushed violets. An upright palate with lightly peppery dark berries and plums. The inflection of cabernet here makes for an impressively powerful wine that still exudes Pomerol’s suave, seductive charm. Chalky, seamless tannins. Super fresh." BR>
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "The 2015 Château Clinet from this terrific estate is up there with some of the finest vintages out there. A blend of 90% Merlot, 9% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the rest Cabernet Franc, it has a concentrated, powerful style not far from the 2005 and offers loads of spiced blackberries and cassis fruits intermixed with notions of lead pencil, tobacco, and a distinct gravelly minerality. Rich, powerful and admirably endowed on the palate, with serious tannins, it's best forgotten for 4-6 years and should keep for two decades or more."
- Item #: i_354190Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "You probably remember I am a great fan of 1998 Bordeaux, but only Right Bank and Pessac-Leognan. Well, here is another beauty and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg! It's drinking beautifully now with very fine aromas of chocolate and beer. It's full body, with ultra-fine tannins and a juicy, succulent finish. Decanting an hour would help."(2/2014)
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Intense aromas of black olive and blackberry, with a hint of grilled meat. Full-bodied, with chewy tannins and a long, rich finish. Very powerful and rich. Just starting to come around."
- Item #: i_354240Bottle Size: 1.5LWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - " Ripe, well-made, and slightly over-rated in my report written seven years ago, this 2000 exhibits lots of black currants, cherries, smoked herbs, and spice in a full-bodied, round, generous, fully mature style."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Refined, yet powerful. Full-bodied, with super silky tannins, yet it's elegant and caressing. Joy to taste. Fantastic l'Oratoire. From the same people who bring you La Mondotte and Canon-La Gaffelière."
- Item #: i_354191Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: Score above 95 pointsDECANTER 97 POINTS - "One of the wines of the tasting, this has standout quality and is certainly impressive in terms of (relative) value, holding its own next to Figeac and Cheval Blanc. The 17 days over 38°C in August meant the limestone soils were key, as in 1989. It's a beautiful wine, luscious, juicy and rich in black fruits, and still young. The Lurtons owned Clos Fourtet until 1998, when it went to the Cuveliers, so this was Pierre Lurton's last vintage as director - and this means he had a hand in two wines in this line up, which must be pretty unusual! Harvest took place from 28 September to 4 October. Aged in 90% new oak."(2/2019)