- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_353938Bottle Size: 750mlUsing roughly 30% whole bunches and 20% new oak, Leroux has sculpted a seductive Chambolle that opens with a measure of controlled flamboyance before segueing into something more suave, sappy and refreshing. Much like the Volnay, Vosne and Gevrey village wines, this is all class and is sold well short by the review below.
- Item #: i_353239Bottle Size: 750mlOn the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and sappy at the core, with excellent soil signature, fine focus and grip, silky tannins and a long, beautifully balanced and still quite primary finish.
Aged in 10%-30% new French oak barrels.
Bottled without fining and usually without filtration unless the wine is cloudy.
THE 2017 CLOS DES CHÊNES FROM DOMAINE MOREAU IS ANOTHER OUTSTANDING BOTTLE IN THE MAKING. THIS WINE IS PROPERLY STILL YOUTHFUL ON BOTH THE NOSE AND PALATE, BUT SHOWS PLENTY OF PROMISE IN ITS AROMATIC CONSTELLATION OF CASSIS, SWEET BLACKBERRIES, BITTER CHOCOLATE, A COMPLEX BASE OF SOIL TONES, GAME BIRD AND A SMOKY TOPNOTE. ON THE PALATE THE WINE IS DEEP, FULL-BODIED, FOCUSED AND SAPPY AT THE CORE, WITH EXCELLENT SOIL SIGNATURE, FIEN FOCUS AND GRIP, SILKY TANNINS AND A LONG, BEAUTIFULLY BALANCED AND STILL QUITE PRIMARY FINISH. ALL THIS NEEDS IS TIME TO BLOSSOM!
- Item #: i_353928Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91-93 - "Produced from purchased grapes, the 2018 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots reveals aromas of plums and blackberries mingled with warm spices, smoke and peonies. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and enveloping, with a layered core and succulent acids. This is a charming, inviting Santenots that will drink well young."
- Item #: i_353691Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Le Corton Grand Cru is a particular success, revealing lovely aromas of orange rind, peonies, wild berries, grilled game and earthy forest floor. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, elegant and precise, with good concentration and a long, mineral finish. Weber opted to ferment the old-vine fruit from this climat with some 20% whole cluster."
- Item #: i_354160Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "The 2018 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens has also turned out very well indeed, mingling aromas of cherries and red berries with hints of licorice, forest floor and rose petals. Medium to full-bodied, bright and precise, it's mineral and fine-boned, reflecting its origins in the thinner, calcareous soils of Rugiens-Hauts that have little in common with the iron-rich clays of Rugiens-Bas. Long and penetrating, it's beautifully refined."
- Item #: i_352547Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2018 Volnay 1er Cru Les Carelles was quite reserved when I tasted it from barrel, and it's the same way from bottle, unwinding with a youthfully reserved bouquet of ripe berries, licorice and dark chocolate, deftly framed by a discreet touch of oak. Medium to full-bodied, bright and tightly wound, it has gained in energy and precision with élevage, but it still needs some time in bottle to show all its cards."
- Item #: i_354158Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Chênes is showing well, unwinding in the glass with aromas of wild berries, plums, dark chocolate, potpourri and rich soil tones. Medium to full-bodied, layered and muscular, with a deep, tightly wound core that's built around succulent acids and fine, powdery tannins, this will reward a decade's patience."
- Item #: i_351387Bottle Size: 1.5LDecanter: 90 to 95 point scoreDECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_350398Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 90 to 95 point scoreDECANTER 95 POINTS: "Simply labelled as premier cru because it combines three parcels (Petite Chapelle, Cherbaudes and Bel Air), all of them planted with old, low-yielding vines. This is another superb release from Arnaud Mortet, made with 30% while bunches and aged in 70% new wood. It's a sweet, plush, succulent red with fine-boned tannins, glossy dark berry fruit and a long, polished finish."
- Item #: i_352754Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 96 POINTS: "The Mortets' five parcels here cover 1.2ha in all, and run from the top of the Combe de Lavaux to the bottom, close to the Clos St-Jacques. Fermented without whole bunches, this is another superb red from Arnaud Mortet, now established as one of the best red winemakers in Burgundy. It's juicy, textured and crunchy, with the acidity that's typical of the terroir and deftly handled 80% new wood."
- Item #: i_351309Bottle Size: 750mlThe Domaine de Courcel, owned by the same family since its foundation 400 years ago, is located in Pommard on the Côte de Beaune, in Burgundy (France). The Domaine produces great Burgundy red wines. Its prestigious Pommard Premier Crus include Le Grand Clos des Epenots, Les Rugiens, Les Frémiers and Les Croix Noires. Tradition, modernism and excellence are the pillars of this family owned winery (or “Domaine”). Its wines are typical of the notorious Pommard Premier crus.
- Item #: i_353983Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "The Domaine de Courcel owns a large part of the heart of the Epenots vineyard, within the walls of a clos. This is a wine with a solid structure, cherry and spice flavors, an elegant feel to go with the ripe berry fruits. It is very balanced, the tannins a great support to the fruit."
BURGHOUND 92 POINTS *Outstanding* - "Here the nose is notably ripe and quite densely fruited with a mix of underbrush, warm earth, game and red currant aromas that introduce dense, serious, robust, indeed even burly flavors that are quite primary and culminate in a very firm finish that delivers excellent length. In contrast to the approachability of the Fremiers, this clearly needs time in bottle."
VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Good deep red. Sexy aromas of dark cherry, spices, minerals and underbrush, with a whiff of truffle. Juicy, peppery and aromatic in the mouth, with firm acidity for the year-especially for fruit picked later than most other vineyards in Pommard. This really spreads out to coat the palate on the back end, finishing with dusty, fine-grained tannins and excellent length."
- Item #: i_333891Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "A dense, well-structured style, yet with ample black cherry, blackberry, violet and iron flavors for balance. This red unfolds nicely, leaving a complex finish that introduces an accent of bittersweet chocolate. Excellent length."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "This is also quite ripe yet retains a lovely freshness to the cassis, black cherry, lavender and warm earth scents. There is excellent power and volume to the concentrated, intense and mouth coating big-bodied flavors that culminate in an impressively long and balanced finish. This possesses both good power and superb length and is absolutely one to consider."
- Item #: i_345020Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Burghound: 90-93BURGHOUND 94 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "A discreet application of wood frames aromas that, much like the Epenots, are super-ripe yet manage to maintain reasonably good freshness to the poached plum and violet-scented nose. This too is nothing short of massively concentrated, ripe and sumptuously opulent with a subtle minerality that helps to add lift to the borderline thick and ever-so-slightly warm finish. This muscular effort is also most impressive in its fashion though it's absolutely one to buy and then forget you own it. *Outstanding*"
VINOUS 94 POINTS: "Good ruby-red. A distinctly different expression of Pommard from the Grand Clos des Epenots, with the nose dominated by darkest berries, minerals and chocolate. Densely packed and highly concentrated but less open to inspection than the Grand Clos des Epenots; very closed in on itself but already suggests outstanding complexity. Very broad, firm tannins saturate the entire palate and the very long, rising finish leaves the tongue glistening. Classic white-soil Rugiens: already complex on the nose but in need of cellaring to gain in pliancy and expand."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "There’s plenty of black cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors in this red, along with a backbone of assertive, dusty tannins. All the elements are in the correct proportion, but just need time to integrate. The long aftertaste also indicates potential"
- Item #: i_351618Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94TIM ATKIN 95 POINTS - "Damaged by hail in 2014 and by frost in 2016, this is not the luckiest of Côte de Beaune vineyards but there’s no denying the exceptional quality of its best wines. Made with 66% whole bunches and 40% new wood, it’s a rich, smoky, densely layered wine with bloody, ferrous tannins and supporting fruit sweetness. 2022-32."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "(one-third vendange entier; 40% new oak; just racked following a very late malo): Healthy medium red. Compelling aromas and flavors of redcurrant, iron, rose petal and minerals. At once silky and penetrating, with its sweetness perfectly balanced by harmonious acidity. Shows captivating rose petal perfume throughout. The seriously tannic, floral finish displays real length and grip. This wine should age beautifully but even today there's no hardness. The crop was reduced by about 30% due to the frost, noted winemaker Sieve.'
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens Cuvée Hubert apparently had a very late malolactic that did not finish until September or October. Similar to the previous two vintages, it comes from the lieu-dit "Les Rugiens-Bas." It has a complex and inviting bouquet with black cherries, crushed rose petals and undergrowth aromas, just a suggestion of dried blood emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied, the 40% new oak is absorbed by the fleshy red fruit, and it is adorned with a lovely, ferrous finish. Drink over the next 15 or 20 years."
- Item #: i_350644Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 93 POINTS - "Small is definitely beautiful as far as this bijou Gevrey-Chambertin domaine is concerned, as it consistently produces some of the best wines in the appellation. Deeply coloured, as Denis Bachelet's Pinots often are in their youth, this comes from six different parcels across the village and is aged in 40% new wood. Plush, juicy and well balanced, it has a winning combination of raspberry and black cherry fruit and sculpted tannins."
- Item #: i_345431Bottle Size: 750MLROBERTPARKER.COM 93 POINTS: "Tasted blind at the Burgfest 2014 tasting, the 2014 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu from Comtes Lafon is blessed with a sensual bouquet with plenty of dark cherry and blueberry fruit, maybe a slight malic scent just underneath. The palate is medium-bodied with sappy red berry fruit, a fine line of acidity, fresh and tensile with impressive mineralité coming through toward the finish. This is a stylish, well-crafted Santenots that should age well in bottle and may eventually merit a higher score. Tasted September 2017."
- Item #: i_353090Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 90 to 95 PointsBURGHOUND 92 POINTS -" A more restrained nose reluctantly offers up a bit more deeply pitched nose of violet, plum and anise hints. The sleek, delicious and beguilingly vibrant medium weight flavors culminate in a dusty, complex and sneaky long finish. While this is labeled as a villages, it performs at a 1er level."
DECANTER 92 POINTS -"Dominique Lafon uses his young-vine fruit from Santenots and En Champans to make this delightfully drinkable village Volnay. Crunchy, fresh and vibrant, it has pomegranate and wild strawberry fruit, gentle, fine-grained tannins and some sweet spice from 20% new wood."