- Item #: i_351782Bottle Size: 750mlMarsanne from 100 year old vines
Bernard Faurie is the wise old man of the hill (the hill of Hermitage that is), the last of the Mohicans I’d say. Let’s start with the vines. Bernard is the fifth generation in a storied lineage working the same vines on the hill (yes, the very same, they are over 100 years old). His two principal cuvées are red Hermitages in two different blends: Gréffieux/Bessards and Bessards/Méal. Occasionally, despite his predilection, he’ll bottle a barrel of pure Méal. He also produces a miniscule quantity of Hermitage Blanc, an absolutely mesmerizing example from the lower slopes of Bessards that is wiry, stony, and coiled for many years of unfurling. Bernard’s wine has renewed a deep sense of understanding for us about what Hermitage really is, and what makes it special.
- Item #: i_353279Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 95-97Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreWINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Another in a string of top vintages, Beaucastel's 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape was produced from Grenache yields of only eight hectoliters per hectare ("normal" is about 28 hectoliters per hectare, according to Marc Perrin). The final blend I was shown is almost candied in its fruity intensity of raspberries and cherries, yet it has a potent underpinning of more savory elements, like tapenade, grilled meat and dried spices. Full-bodied, with fine, silky tannins, this shows tremendous length, reverberating with hints of crushed stone on the finish."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "A tight and compelling tannic structure, muscular and knitted down at this stage, rich and concentrated with blackberries and olive paste. Needs a few years, but already you can discern the floral aromatics that overlay the core, and this is going to evolve into a beautiful Beaucastel."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape showed nicely with a deep ruby/purple color as well as classic Beaucastel aromas and flavors of darker currents, blueberries, smoked meats, black licorice and roasted herbs. With medium to full-bodied richness, a pure, clean, elegant texture, sweet tannins, and a great finish, this seamless, elegant Beaucastel will be approachable in its youth, yet still have 20+ years of prime drinking."
- Item #: i_350566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 96-97James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "More closed, yet still loaded with potential, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Reserve offers a tight, reserved bouquet of cassis and blackberry fruits intermixed with ample spice box, mineral, and meaty notes developing with time in the glass. Full-bodied, concentrated, and straight on the palate, it has beautiful depth and richness, yet needs 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Hints of cedar and vanilla from aging in 20% new demi-muids accent ripe black cherries in this full-bodied, silky-textured but concentrated wine that once again manages to combine richness with airiness, power with elegance and features a finish that lingers while being refreshing at the same time. It's still a major-league contender for wine of the vintage."
VINOUS 96 - 97 POINTS
DECANTER 96 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_333944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Combe des Fous is full-bodied, rich and velvety, yet it also possesses more freshness and concentrated berry fruit than the Vieilles Vignes bottling. An absolute beauty of a beast, it delivers ripe raspberries and cherries, a gentle dusting of Asian spice and a long, long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Combe Des Fous checks in as a normal blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and the rest Vaccarèse and Cinsault, raised in tank and demi-muids. Kirsch liqueur, white flowers, graphite, ground pepper, and obvious minerality all emerge from this ethereal yet powerful, concentrated 2017. It's very much in the more Provençal, elegant style of this vintage, yet has classic Clos Saint Jean purity, style, and power. It's a gorgeous wine."
- Item #: i_352231Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96Decanter: Score above 95 pointsDECANTER 98 POINTS - "A tasting of five different barrels, drawn from 24 blocks across 19 lieux-dits, mostly schist terroirs in Ampuis and St-Cyr. It's almost 100% whole bunch in 2017, with a minimal 15% of new oak used. Gerine is ripe and harmonious, with intense, sappy fruits and muscular tannins. Fongeant is sleek, dark and elegant. Le Plomb/Le Truchet takes tannin from the first site, acidity from the second and displays a soaring fragrance of burnt herbs. Tartaras/Bonnivières/top of Fongeant has incredible freshness and tight, fine tannins. Lastly, La Landonne, Côte Blonde, Moutonne and Côte Rozier has intense, tight, saline tannins and juniper and liquorice-tinged dark fruits. The overall impression is a powerful, ripe, structured and very fresh Côte-Rôtie, very well balanced with bright acidity, that will age impressively."
VINOUS 96 POINTS - "Inky, bright-rimmed ruby. Sexy, mineral-accented aromas of ripe black and blue fruits, candied flowers, olive paste and exotic spices show outstanding clarity and lift. Sweet, pliant and energetic on the palate, offering deeply concentrated raspberry, cherry, cassis and floral pastille flavors that show surprising energy for their heft. A smoky mineral nuance drives the extremely long, youthfully tannic finish, which leaves behind a sexy floral note. All whole clusters. Drinking window: 2025 - 2035."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - " Just bottled, literally, the day before my visit, the 2017 Côte Rôtie nevertheless showed incredibly well, with loads of violets, pepper, game, framboise, and darker fruits. As Côte Rôtie as Côte Rôtie gets, this full-bodied beauty has ultra-fine tannins, intoxicating complexity and nuance, no hard edges, and a great finish. Give it 4-5 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following 20 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cote Rotie was still in separate lots when I visited, yet I came away with remarkably similar impressions from the Gerine (fragrant charming and silky) and le Plomb (taut, intense and structural) as I did last year. A number of other lots will go into the final assemblage (Chavaroche, Fongeant, Lezardes and several more, probably including La Landonne). There's more cracked pepper and violets on the nose of the 2017 than the 2018 and also a touch more crispness and tension on the palate."
- Item #: i_351463Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Similarly colored to the classic cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Quet is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre. It offers a huge, rich, powerful style that never goes over the top and stays balanced and graceful. Currants, toasted spices, caramelized beef, and exotic notes all flow to a massively textured, powerhouse of a wine that has a stacked mid-palate, a bombastic personality, and a great finish. It needs two to three years of bottle age but is an incredible, heady, powerful wine."
- Item #: i_354096Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Almost entirely Grenache from two old-vine parcels that include more sand than the domaine's other plots, the 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape le Secret de Sabon is intoxicating just to smell—not because of the alcohol levels, but because of the enveloping aromas that combine rose petals and lavender with apricots and black cherries and drizzles them all with wisps of dark chocolate and coffee. It's full-bodied but paradoxically light in feel, with silky, gossamer-like tannins that give the wine a pillowy shape and feel on the palate, then linger elegantly on the long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "While the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Le Secret Des Sabon isn’t going to match the 2016 and 2017, it’s nevertheless a beautiful wine that’s a candidate for the wine of the vintage. A fabulous perfume of black raspberry and cassis fruits as well as notes of peppery garrigue, smoked game, and Asian spices flow to a full-bodied, beautifully concentrated, ripe, yet also seamless 2018 that has more depth, richness, and length than just about every other wine in the vintage. A field blend of mostly Grenache brought up in foudre, this sensational Châteauneuf du Pape can be enjoyed anytime over the coming 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_353441Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "A step up, the 2018 Gigondas Hominis Fides offers slightly more mid-palate depth and richness as well as full body, ripe, polished tannins, and stunning notes of blackberries, ground herbs, peppery garrigue, and loamy soil. This fleshy, opulent, sexy wine does everything right."
WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "Bold scents of asphalt and cassis appear on the nose of the 2018 Gigondas Hominis Fides. Like the other 2018s here, it's a big, concentrated and powerful wine. In this case, it's loaded with intense fruit and backed by waves of rich, velvety tannins, yet it finishes with zesty-briny notes and tremendous length."
- Item #: i_350466Bottle Size: 750ml"Unquestionably one of the reference point estates, not only for Gigondas, but for the entire Southern Rhone" - Jeb Dunnuck
"Louis Barruol remains the acknowledged leader of the Gigondas AOC. The vigneron keeps Chateau de St.-Cosme operating on the highest level" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
"These single vineyard releases are year in, year out, some of the most impressive wines from the Rhone valley." - Wine Advocate
We just received a limited allocation from the iconic Rhone producer, Chateau de Saint Cosme. These critically acclaimed wines consistently receive high praise and scores from wine critics. The Wine Advocate, Jeb Dunnuck and Decanter Magazine all weighed in on these amazing wines from the excellent 2016 vintage.
Chateau de Saint Cosme is the leading estate of Gigondas and produces the benchmark wines of the appellation. The property has been in the hands of the Barruol family since 1570. Louis Barruol took over from his father in 1992 making a dramatic shift to quality and converting to biodynamics in 2010.
Barruol makes a classic Gigondas as well as three amazing single vineyard releases from the estate which lies in the heart of Gigondas. The vineyards grow in the shade of the Dentelles de Montmirail Mountains and benefited from the ideal 2016 vintage which boasted warm, dry days balanced by cool nights. The wines are not destemmed and are aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels." These wines are singular and the depth of flavor of these cuvees are truly something to behold.
These are world-class wines and this is a great opportunity to grab a few bottles for the cellar. The highly desirable wines from Saint Cosme are very limited. When they're gone, they're gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "Coming from Barruol’s favorite vineyard located on just up the hill from the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Poste is another huge wine, and probably the richness, ripest example of this cuvee I’ve tasted. Possessing almost overflowing amounts of blackberry fruits, graphite, spring flowers and huge minerality, it offers awesome purity, full-bodied richness, and a great, great finish. I can’t wait to taste this from bottle. Louis Barruol’s Chateau de Saint Cosme is unquestionably one of the reference point estates in Gigondas, as well as the entire southern Rhône Valley. The estate lies just to the east of the village and covers 25 hectares, with 15 of those in Gigondas. He makes a classic Gigondas as well as four single vine releases from single vineyards located around the estate. The wines are not destemmed and aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels. "
eROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS - "The 2015 Gigondas le Poste is a classic expression of this vineyard and shows the more elegant, perfumed style that always comes from this site. Violets, flowers, raspberries, blueberries and green herbs all emerge from this full-bodied, lengthy and impeccably balanced Gigondas that has ultra-fine tannin and perfectly integrated acidity. Brought up just like the other two single vineyard releases, this beauty will be more accessible in its youth, yet I suspect it will age just as long."
- Item #: i_353440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Wine Spectator: 97WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "Everything about the all-Grenache 2018 Gigondas le Claux is big. From the huge black cherry and blackberry fruit, to the insane levels of concentration, the rich, velvety tannins and the never-ending, licorice-tinged finish, this beauty should evolve positively for at least a decade and a half."
- Item #: i_353442Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Given the intensity of every cuvée at this estate, I was blown away by the elegance shown by the 2018 Gigondas le Poste. Violet and aniseed aromas accent plum and black cherry fruit, while this full-bodied wine is creamy-velvety in texture, with a long, silky finish that folds in distinct salted-licorice notes. Wow!"
- Item #: i_352485Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96-99 POINTS - "Moving to the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Collection Charles Giraud, it checks in as 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre brought up in demi-muids. It’s a more structured wine than the Reserve Auguste Favier and boasts killer notes of ground pepper, graphite, spice box, and blackberries. With a huge core of sweet fruit, a layered, seamless texture, full body, and more concentration and depth than most in the vintage, it’s up with the top 2-3 wines out there in 2018."
WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "The 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Collection Charles Giraud is the usual blend of approximately 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre. It's dark and rich, with flavors of black cherries and plums joined by hints of tree bark and perhaps even a bit of mushroom. Full-bodied and velvety, it's powerful, concentrated and long on the finish, folding in subtle chocolate notes."
- Item #: i_354089Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From century-old Grenache in a section of la Crau with safre-based soils, the 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Cornelia Constanza was matured in concrete (60%) and foudre (40%). Explosive notes of black cherries and licorice mark the nose, while the full-bodied palate is ripe and welcoming without going over the top. You'll want to watch the serving temperature carefully so it doesn't get too warm, but the tannins are supple and silky. Dense and concentrated, this is serious stuff, with awesome length on the slightly chocolaty, spice-inflected finish. I wouldn't bet on it aging more than a decade, but as an early-drinking mouthful of decadence, it's tough to beat."
- Item #: i_353793Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Wine Spectator: 96Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "A wine that’s expensive, as well as hard to find in the market, the 2012 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve is certainly one of the wines of the vintage. Coming from very old vines planted in the sandy soils in the northern part of the appellation, aged all in foudre, its deep purple color is followed by incredible notes of blueberries, black licorice, ground pepper, and spring flowers. Layered, complex, full-bodied, and just pure silky on the palate, this incredible wine from Jean-Paul Daumen will benefit from anther few years in the cellar and keep for 10-15+."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The awesome 2012 Châteauneuf du Pape Reserve is at the top of the heap in the vintage, and is world-class stuff. Sharing lots of similarities to the Les Trois Sources (they come from similar terroirs), it has another level of concentration and density, with incredible liquid rock, blueberry, violets, licorice and bouquet garni-like aromas and flavors. A rock star on the palate, it has full-bodied power, perfect balance, a seamless, elegant texture and blockbuster mid-palate depth. Coming from 100-year-old Grenache vines and pure sand soils, it’s a tour de force that will have two-plus decades of life."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Packed in tight, with fig, boysenberry and blackberry confiture notes bursting with youthful energy, harnessed by graphite, tar and ganache elements. Reveals a terrific bolt of anise through the finish, showing echoes of juniper and violet. There's superb range and depth here. This will take some cellaring to unwind fully. Best from 2019 through 2035. 30 cases imported"