- Item #: i_351782Bottle Size: 750mlMarsanne from 100 year old vines
Bernard Faurie is the wise old man of the hill (the hill of Hermitage that is), the last of the Mohicans I’d say. Let’s start with the vines. Bernard is the fifth generation in a storied lineage working the same vines on the hill (yes, the very same, they are over 100 years old). His two principal cuvées are red Hermitages in two different blends: Gréffieux/Bessards and Bessards/Méal. Occasionally, despite his predilection, he’ll bottle a barrel of pure Méal. He also produces a miniscule quantity of Hermitage Blanc, an absolutely mesmerizing example from the lower slopes of Bessards that is wiry, stony, and coiled for many years of unfurling. Bernard’s wine has renewed a deep sense of understanding for us about what Hermitage really is, and what makes it special.
- Item #: i_350566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "More closed, yet still loaded with potential, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Reserve offers a tight, reserved bouquet of cassis and blackberry fruits intermixed with ample spice box, mineral, and meaty notes developing with time in the glass. Full-bodied, concentrated, and straight on the palate, it has beautiful depth and richness, yet needs 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Hints of cedar and vanilla from aging in 20% new demi-muids accent ripe black cherries in this full-bodied, silky-textured but concentrated wine that once again manages to combine richness with airiness, power with elegance and features a finish that lingers while being refreshing at the same time. It's still a major-league contender for wine of the vintage."
VINOUS 96 - 97 POINTS
DECANTER 96 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_333944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Combe des Fous is full-bodied, rich and velvety, yet it also possesses more freshness and concentrated berry fruit than the Vieilles Vignes bottling. An absolute beauty of a beast, it delivers ripe raspberries and cherries, a gentle dusting of Asian spice and a long, long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Combe Des Fous checks in as a normal blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and the rest Vaccarèse and Cinsault, raised in tank and demi-muids. Kirsch liqueur, white flowers, graphite, ground pepper, and obvious minerality all emerge from this ethereal yet powerful, concentrated 2017. It's very much in the more Provençal, elegant style of this vintage, yet has classic Clos Saint Jean purity, style, and power. It's a gorgeous wine."
- Item #: i_352231Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96Decanter: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 96DECANTER 98 POINTS - "A tasting of five different barrels, drawn from 24 blocks across 19 lieux-dits, mostly schist terroirs in Ampuis and St-Cyr. It's almost 100% whole bunch in 2017, with a minimal 15% of new oak used. Gerine is ripe and harmonious, with intense, sappy fruits and muscular tannins. Fongeant is sleek, dark and elegant. Le Plomb/Le Truchet takes tannin from the first site, acidity from the second and displays a soaring fragrance of burnt herbs. Tartaras/Bonnivières/top of Fongeant has incredible freshness and tight, fine tannins. Lastly, La Landonne, Côte Blonde, Moutonne and Côte Rozier has intense, tight, saline tannins and juniper and liquorice-tinged dark fruits. The overall impression is a powerful, ripe, structured and very fresh Côte-Rôtie, very well balanced with bright acidity, that will age impressively."
VINOUS 96 POINTS - "Inky, bright-rimmed ruby. Sexy, mineral-accented aromas of ripe black and blue fruits, candied flowers, olive paste and exotic spices show outstanding clarity and lift. Sweet, pliant and energetic on the palate, offering deeply concentrated raspberry, cherry, cassis and floral pastille flavors that show surprising energy for their heft. A smoky mineral nuance drives the extremely long, youthfully tannic finish, which leaves behind a sexy floral note. All whole clusters. Drinking window: 2025 - 2035."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - " Just bottled, literally, the day before my visit, the 2017 Côte Rôtie nevertheless showed incredibly well, with loads of violets, pepper, game, framboise, and darker fruits. As Côte Rôtie as Côte Rôtie gets, this full-bodied beauty has ultra-fine tannins, intoxicating complexity and nuance, no hard edges, and a great finish. Give it 4-5 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following 20 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cote Rotie was still in separate lots when I visited, yet I came away with remarkably similar impressions from the Gerine (fragrant charming and silky) and le Plomb (taut, intense and structural) as I did last year. A number of other lots will go into the final assemblage (Chavaroche, Fongeant, Lezardes and several more, probably including La Landonne). There's more cracked pepper and violets on the nose of the 2017 than the 2018 and also a touch more crispness and tension on the palate."
- Item #: i_350466Bottle Size: 750ml"Unquestionably one of the reference point estates, not only for Gigondas, but for the entire Southern Rhone" - Jeb Dunnuck
"Louis Barruol remains the acknowledged leader of the Gigondas AOC. The vigneron keeps Chateau de St.-Cosme operating on the highest level" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
"These single vineyard releases are year in, year out, some of the most impressive wines from the Rhone valley." - Wine Advocate
We just received a limited allocation from the iconic Rhone producer, Chateau de Saint Cosme. These critically acclaimed wines consistently receive high praise and scores from wine critics. The Wine Advocate, Jeb Dunnuck and Decanter Magazine all weighed in on these amazing wines from the excellent 2016 vintage.
Chateau de Saint Cosme is the leading estate of Gigondas and produces the benchmark wines of the appellation. The property has been in the hands of the Barruol family since 1570. Louis Barruol took over from his father in 1992 making a dramatic shift to quality and converting to biodynamics in 2010.
Barruol makes a classic Gigondas as well as three amazing single vineyard releases from the estate which lies in the heart of Gigondas. The vineyards grow in the shade of the Dentelles de Montmirail Mountains and benefited from the ideal 2016 vintage which boasted warm, dry days balanced by cool nights. The wines are not destemmed and are aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels." These wines are singular and the depth of flavor of these cuvees are truly something to behold.
These are world-class wines and this is a great opportunity to grab a few bottles for the cellar. The highly desirable wines from Saint Cosme are very limited. When they're gone, they're gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "Coming from Barruol’s favorite vineyard located on just up the hill from the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Poste is another huge wine, and probably the richness, ripest example of this cuvee I’ve tasted. Possessing almost overflowing amounts of blackberry fruits, graphite, spring flowers and huge minerality, it offers awesome purity, full-bodied richness, and a great, great finish. I can’t wait to taste this from bottle. Louis Barruol’s Chateau de Saint Cosme is unquestionably one of the reference point estates in Gigondas, as well as the entire southern Rhône Valley. The estate lies just to the east of the village and covers 25 hectares, with 15 of those in Gigondas. He makes a classic Gigondas as well as four single vine releases from single vineyards located around the estate. The wines are not destemmed and aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels. "
eROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS - "The 2015 Gigondas le Poste is a classic expression of this vineyard and shows the more elegant, perfumed style that always comes from this site. Violets, flowers, raspberries, blueberries and green herbs all emerge from this full-bodied, lengthy and impeccably balanced Gigondas that has ultra-fine tannin and perfectly integrated acidity. Brought up just like the other two single vineyard releases, this beauty will be more accessible in its youth, yet I suspect it will age just as long."