- Item #: i_379662Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Over the past decade and half Bolllinger has been quietly tweaking their production methods to reign in oxidation in the field and winery while still keeping the use of sulphur dioxide to a minimum. Their Champagnes are now more precise and fresher but still display authoritative power and persistence. This delicate balancing act is perfectly realized in this prodigious 2012 which is already a worthy rival to their legendary 2008.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Disgorged in July 2019, Bollinger's 2012 Brut La Grande Année is showing well, offering up an incipiently complex bouquet of crisp yellow orchard fruit, fresh peach, orange oil, toasted walnuts and dried apricot that's still quite reserved with less than a year on cork. Full-bodied, deep and muscular, the 2012 is blockier and broader-shouldered than its 2008 predecessor, with a weightier and even more concentrated palate built around a bright spine of acidity, concluding with a chalky finish that carries appreciably dry extract. This isn't quite as elegant as the exquisite 2008, but it is a superb effort and obviously built to age."
Bollinger has been the first Champagne House to achieve the certification of “Sustainable Viticulture in Champagne,” a new set of standards established by the Champagne governing body to encourage stronger viticulture practices. Bollinger in 2012 in addition was accredited with “High Environmental Value” certification in 2012.
The delicate color and golden hues are a sign of the wine’s maturity and Bollinger’s wine-making methods. A wonderful aromatic depth. The wine’s fruity, spicy and floral notes intertwine to reveal a highly complex nose; wild peach, plum and orange peel precede saffron and tonka bean, complemented by a fresh, mineral aspect. Dense and harmonious in the mouth. A creamy effervescence and fresh structure, with a gentle saline finish.
- Item #: i_321102Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS: "*Cellar Selection* Firm and structured, this beautifully concentrated wine has plenty of the dark tannins that come out of Cabernet Sauvignon in Saint-Estèphe while allowing room for juicy fruit. The wood aging is still showing, giving some spice to the wine. At the end, it’s the density of the wine that’s so impressive."
- Item #: i_345526Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 96-98 POINTS: "Taking longer to develop in the glass than the exuberant and sexy la Mouline, the 2012 Cote Rotie la Turque (93% Syrah and 7% Viognier that will see four years in new oak) offers Bordeaux-like notes of lead pencil and graphite to go with olive, smoked herbs, pepper and ripe dark fruits. Possessing a touch less raw material than both the 2009 and 2010, it nevertheless has full-bodied richness, serious mid-palate depth, lots of sweet tannin and a fabulous finish. It will need 4-6 years of cellaring and drink well over the following two to three decades."
- Item #: i_345029Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 93 - 95 POINTS - "The Nuits St. Georges Aux Boudots is the richest and most voluptuous of the 2012 Nuits 1er Crus. Sweet raspberry, cinnamon, mint, new leather and licorice resonate off the palate in a generous, open Nuits loaded with class and pure textural volume. Flowers, dried herbs and mint add complexity over time. The 2012 should drink well with minimum cellaring because of its pure generosity and volume, but it also has more than enough stuffing to age well for a number of years. This is a great example of the Grivot house style at its very best."
STEPHEN TANZER 92 - 94 POINTS - "A sexy point of reduction to the aromas of wild dark cherry, smoke and violet. Offers a lovely blend of silky Vosne-side elegance and Nuits wildness and structure, showing superb clarity and cut to its flavors of wild small red berries. Finishes very long and juicy, with a firm spine of acids and tannins and lingering perfume."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "As it was from barrel this is still noticeably reduced so if you're tempted to try a bottle in the name of science be sure to decant it first. This is a big and very rich wine with good muscle and punch to the well-detailed flavors that possess a lovely sense of underlying tension on the austere, balanced and strikingly long finish. This is a robust effort that in 2012 is more Nuits than Vosne in character. Note that my score assumes that the reduction is a passing phase."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2012 Nuits Saint-Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots from Etienne Grivot was one of the highlights from the horizontal. It has a very elegant and composed bouquet with gorgeous red cherry, cranberry and raspberry scents infused with cold stone and subtle undergrowth aromas. The palate is medium-bodied with very fine tannin, dark berry fruit intermingling with cola and brown spices, fanning out gloriously on the finish. You will finish it down to the last drop."
- Item #: i_333844Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 92-95 POINTS: "Features pure, racy, floral cassis, violet and bergamot notes, with a long, mineral-tinged finish. Very expressive, this represents a noticeable step up from the second wine in this vintage. Tasted non-blind." –JM
ROBERT PARKER 91-94 POINTS:"The 2012 La Mission Haut-Brion, which represents 41% of the total production, is a blend of 62% Merlot and the rest Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. Lots of tobacco leaf, forest floor, underbrush and red as well as black fruit aromas jump from this aromatic, seductive, open-knit La Mission. Medium to full-bodied, round, generous, lush and flattering to taste, even at this young age, it is built along the stylistic lines of the 2001 or 1999. Drink it over the next 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_378268Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93VINOUS WINE MEDIA 94 POINTS-"The 2012 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Les Chemins d'Avize is another powerful, deep wine that needs time in the glass to be at its best. In fact, the 2012 was not really fully expressive until it had been opened for about 24 hours. There is an inherent depth to the 2012 that just needs time to emerge. With air, the 2012 is broad and expansive, with the layers of fruit intensity and tension that are such signatures of Pierre and Sophie Larmandier's very best wines. What a gorgeous Champagne this is. Dosage is 2 grams per liter. Disgorged: March 2018."
- Item #: i_372984Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS-"Aromas of clear honey, crisp green orchard fruit, white peach, pastry cream and dried white flowers introduce the 2012 Cristal, a full-bodied, concentrated and powerful wine that's built for the cellar. Broader, more textural and more muscular than the 2008 Cristal, with seemingly even greater reserves of structuring dry extract, the 2012 is incisive and searingly chalky. This is the first Cristal produced exclusively from organically farmed fruit, and it marks the opening of a new chapter for Louis Roderer. The blend is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay, vinified without malolactic fermentation and disgorged with 7.5 grams per liter dosage. Chef de Caves Jean-Baptiste Lecaillon has once again excelled himself."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS-"Such attractive, fresh, floral aromas here with fine bread, hints of white almonds and a lemon edge. White cherries and strong, chalky minerals, too. The palate has a very composed feel. Seamless and quite silky texture with effortless length and flow. Very fluid and composed. Very late, warming almond flavors. This is very long and smooth with a velvety finish. Super long pinot weight. Resolved and drinkable, but will age so well."
- Item #: i_379962Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS-"The 2012 Cristal Rosé is showing brilliantly, unwinding in the glass with a beautiful bouquet of fresh peach, bergamot, strawberries, tangerine and blanched almonds that's still quite reserved. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, deep and strikingly complete, its vinous attack segueing into a multidimensional core that exemplifies the ideal of power without weight, built around a racy but integrated spine of animating acidity and complemented by an exquisitely refined mousse. All the concentration of the 2012 vintage is on display, but it's rendered with terrific finesse. Decidedly youthful and introverted—indeed, I spent several hours with a bottle to compose this note—the 2012 will really come into its own with five or six years in the cellar and displays all the attributes necessary for considerable longevity. It's a blend of 56% Pinot Noir and 44% Chardonnay that saw no malolactic fermentation, and it was disgorged with eight grams per liter dosage."
- Item #: i_352070Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "The iconic Belle Epoque bottle reveals a well-structured, taut wine. With Chardonnay very much in evidence in the mineral texture, the wine is almost as floral as the bottle. Drink from 2021."
- Item #: i_353793Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Wine Spectator: 96Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "A wine that’s expensive, as well as hard to find in the market, the 2012 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve is certainly one of the wines of the vintage. Coming from very old vines planted in the sandy soils in the northern part of the appellation, aged all in foudre, its deep purple color is followed by incredible notes of blueberries, black licorice, ground pepper, and spring flowers. Layered, complex, full-bodied, and just pure silky on the palate, this incredible wine from Jean-Paul Daumen will benefit from anther few years in the cellar and keep for 10-15+."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The awesome 2012 Châteauneuf du Pape Reserve is at the top of the heap in the vintage, and is world-class stuff. Sharing lots of similarities to the Les Trois Sources (they come from similar terroirs), it has another level of concentration and density, with incredible liquid rock, blueberry, violets, licorice and bouquet garni-like aromas and flavors. A rock star on the palate, it has full-bodied power, perfect balance, a seamless, elegant texture and blockbuster mid-palate depth. Coming from 100-year-old Grenache vines and pure sand soils, it’s a tour de force that will have two-plus decades of life."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Packed in tight, with fig, boysenberry and blackberry confiture notes bursting with youthful energy, harnessed by graphite, tar and ganache elements. Reveals a terrific bolt of anise through the finish, showing echoes of juniper and violet. There's superb range and depth here. This will take some cellaring to unwind fully. Best from 2019 through 2035. 30 cases imported"
- Item #: i_376107Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS WINE MEDIA 96 POINTS-"The 2012 Coeur de Cuvée is magnificent. In this vintage Laurent Champs balances the natural intensity of the year with tremendous energy and vibrancy, making for a Champagne of remarkable beauty. Like all the Vilmart wines, the 2012 Coeur de Cuvée is super-refined. Even so, it is also incredibly tight and nowhere near ready. I find its depth, power and tension absolutely compelling. Bright saline notes, spice and floral accents extend the eternal finish. The 2012 is 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay. Disgorged: February 2019. Don't miss it!"
Vilmart Champagnes are no strangers to our Best of the Year list and we would be remiss in the extreme not to include a Laurent Champs offering from an outstanding year like 2012. Coeur de Cuvée is a singlevineyard prestige cuvée sourced from the 50-yearsplus-old vines of the Blanches Voies vineyard. Only the finest 800 liters from the middle (‘heart’) of the pressing is used to make the Coeur de Cuvée. This edition impresses with vinous intensity while managing to remain pure and lively on the palate. It’s layered on the palate with delectable lemon drop, pear, limestone and almond notes while the barrel vinification contributes subtle spice background notes to the ensemble.