- Item #: i_351823Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93-95VINOUS 93 POINTS: "The 2018 Clos de Vougeot le Grand Maupertui Grand Cru has a little more fruité on the nose compared to the Echézeaux, offering cranberry, raspberry and light aromas of damp woodland. The palate is medium-bodied with crunchy red fruit, fine acidity and a lightly spiced, quite linear finish that feels persistent and satisfying. Superb."
- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_352449Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS "...opening reluctantly in the glass to reveal aromas of red berries, grilled meat and warm spices. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny but dense, with a deep, concentrated core and chalky structuring tannins. This will need more time than the comparatively precocious 2017 rendition."
- Item #: i_353938Bottle Size: 750mlUsing roughly 30% whole bunches and 20% new oak, Leroux has sculpted a seductive Chambolle that opens with a measure of controlled flamboyance before segueing into something more suave, sappy and refreshing. Much like the Volnay, Vosne and Gevrey village wines, this is all class and is sold well short by the review below.
- Item #: i_353239Bottle Size: 750mlOn the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and sappy at the core, with excellent soil signature, fine focus and grip, silky tannins and a long, beautifully balanced and still quite primary finish.
Aged in 10%-30% new French oak barrels.
Bottled without fining and usually without filtration unless the wine is cloudy.
THE 2017 CLOS DES CHÊNES FROM DOMAINE MOREAU IS ANOTHER OUTSTANDING BOTTLE IN THE MAKING. THIS WINE IS PROPERLY STILL YOUTHFUL ON BOTH THE NOSE AND PALATE, BUT SHOWS PLENTY OF PROMISE IN ITS AROMATIC CONSTELLATION OF CASSIS, SWEET BLACKBERRIES, BITTER CHOCOLATE, A COMPLEX BASE OF SOIL TONES, GAME BIRD AND A SMOKY TOPNOTE. ON THE PALATE THE WINE IS DEEP, FULL-BODIED, FOCUSED AND SAPPY AT THE CORE, WITH EXCELLENT SOIL SIGNATURE, FIEN FOCUS AND GRIP, SILKY TANNINS AND A LONG, BEAUTIFULLY BALANCED AND STILL QUITE PRIMARY FINISH. ALL THIS NEEDS IS TIME TO BLOSSOM!
- Item #: i_353928Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91-93 - "Produced from purchased grapes, the 2018 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots reveals aromas of plums and blackberries mingled with warm spices, smoke and peonies. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and enveloping, with a layered core and succulent acids. This is a charming, inviting Santenots that will drink well young."
- Item #: i_379115Bottle Size: 1.5LThe first permanent addition to Bollinger's range in over a decade, Bollinger PN VZ15 showcases the Pinot Noir grape. Made with 100% Pinot Noir, mostly from Verzenay and with 20% reserve wines in there too, it's an immensely aromatic and expressive Champagne. Expect red fruit, fresh florals and a touch of toasty nuts from this one.
- Item #: i_353691Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Le Corton Grand Cru is a particular success, revealing lovely aromas of orange rind, peonies, wild berries, grilled game and earthy forest floor. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, elegant and precise, with good concentration and a long, mineral finish. Weber opted to ferment the old-vine fruit from this climat with some 20% whole cluster."
- Item #: i_350451Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 96Vinous Media: 96VINOUS 96 POINTS: "The 2016 Chambertin Clos-de-Bèze Grand Cru has a generous and pleasing nose with scents of strawberry preserve, crushed stone, rose petals and subtle orange-blossom. This is refined and transparent. The palate is medium-bodied with chalky tannins. Beautifully balanced, this has a symmetry that is beguiling and classic. A little austere finish suggests it will benefit from several years in bottle. Utterly beguiling with enormous ageing potential."
- Item #: i_351526Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "The 2014 Clos de Tart Grand Cru will contain 40% whole bunch fruit in the final. It was picked from September 17 until September 22. This blend that I tasted included the young vines at the bottom of the vineyard that may or may not be deselected to make a Forge de Tart (the decision will be made next year). It is also the first vintage that does not include old vines at the northwest corner that were pulled up in spring 2014, due to be replanted in four years' time. It has a very well defined bouquet with cranberry and wild strawberry fruit, fine mineral tones and is quite harmonious with hints of wet limestone. The palate is medium-bodied and I feel this has tightened up since I tasted it in September 2015. The fruit also seems a little darker. Blackberry and wild cherry, with a hint of cola and certainly more tangible mineralité on the finish, as you can feel the mouth tingling long after it has bid adieu. Readers will be aware that I tasted the 2014 back in September at retiring winemaker Sylvain Pitiot's retirement do. Nevertheless I thought it would be appropriate to return a couple of months later to taste with new winemaker, Jacques Devauges. It also gave me a chance to walk down through the vineyard from Laurent Ponsot's winery and get a feel for the terroir - bracing it was too as I tramped through the vines to quizzical stares of those doing the first pruning of the vines."
DRECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vibrant, ripe blackberry plus delicate notes of rose, a gorgeously silky texture and sweet-spice finish. I tasted the seven parcels that make up this final wine and it is clear that there's a sensational synergy in the blending."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - OUTSTANDING! - "There is whiff of new wood framing the intensely floral-suffused nose and in particular rose petal and lavender that add elegance to the fresh mix of mostly red and dark currant scents that are trimmed in discreet earth hints. There is a lovely sense of energy to the moderately dense middle weight plus flavors that culminate in a dusty, palate coating and beautifully long finish. This is already completely harmonious and should make for terrific drinking for years to come."
- Item #: i_322037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Burghound: 92-94Vinous Media: 99+VINOUS 99+ POINTS: "The 2016 Clos de Tart Grand Cru, cropped at 35hl/ha, is the first year farmed biodynamically. This was completely breathtaking in barrel, and now, in bottle, nothing has changed in that respect. It has an ineffably complex bouquet, not as intense as it showed in barrel yet extremely deep and cerebral, black fruit mingling with forest floor, crushed stone and a touch of sea spray. The palate is perfectly balanced with a deceivingly understated entry, before a wave of black and red fruit crashes over the senses. It is framed by supremely fine tannin, the intensity building toward a crescendo as it fans out. The aftertaste is unbelievably long, remaining in the mouth 60 seconds after the wine has departed. The best ever - simple as that. Tasted at Clos de Tart."
eROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The superb 2016 Clos de Tart Grand Cru confirms the promise it showed from barrel, unfurling in the glass with a striking bouquet of raspberries, rose petals, blood orange, black tea, spices and smoked meats. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, pure and ample, with a deep core of vibrant, searingly intense fruit that entirely cloaks its structuring chassis of satiny tannin, concluding with a long and captivatingly floral finish. More elegant and transparent than the richer and fleshier 2015, this is an exceptional vintage for Clos de Tart. That there are fully 27,000 bottles makes this one of Burgundy's rare confluence of quality and quantity."
- Item #: i_352762Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98Decanter: 96VINOUS 96-98 POINTS: "The 2017 Clos de Tart Grand Cru was matured in around 80% new oak, the barrels toasted chauff blonde. Jacques Desvauges mentioned that the wine needed oxygen ingress during maturation that only new oak can give. I tasted the component parts (as usual) as well as the blend. This has a very detailed, delineated bouquet offering mainly black fruit mixed with sous-bois, tobacco, clove and bay leaf, the typicité of the appellation showing through nicely. It feels very succinct and yet so fresh. The palate is beautifully balanced on the entry with a killer line of acidity. Pure black cherry fruit is joined by bilberry, hints of black olive and a marine/oyster shell tincture that comes through quite strongly toward the persistent, saline finish, which fans out with confidence. This is a brilliant follow-up to the benchmark 2016 by Jacques Desvauges and his team."
DECANTER 96 POINTS: "Despite what has been written about high yields in the Côte de Nuits in 2017, Jacques de Vauges made less Clos de Tart than he did in 2016. Picked much earlier than it used to be when Sylvain Pitiot was in charge, this is a fine, focussed, nuanced wine that expresses the complexity of this monopole grand cru. With deftly integrated 60% whole bunches and 80% new wood, it's elegant, floral and precise with chalky freshness."
- Item #: i_351016Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "The intensely floral-suffused nose reveals notes of lavender, rose petal and lilac along with plenty of spice elements on the mostly dark berry fruit aromas. There is notably more volume to the equally pure medium weight plus flavors that positively vibrate with energy and minerality before culminating in a harmonious and beautifully well-balanced finale. This marvelously complex effort really builds from the mid-palate as the finish is sneaky long."
- Item #: i_351017Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS: "This is only the ‘basic’ Chambolle from de Vogüé, but the estate made such an impressive array of wines in 2017 that it's well worth seeking out. Deeply coloured for a 2017, this old-vine village red shows François Millet's mastery of the vintage. It's vibrant, precise and deftly oaked, with 15% new wood and a crunchy red cherry and raspberry finish."
- Item #: i_350454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93BURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "This is equally pretty and even cooler with its airy if slightly riper mix of both red and dark pinot fruit, violet, plum, exotic tea and all but invisible wood nuances. There is excellent volume and punch to the focused and quite powerful medium weight flavors that possess a caressing mouthfeel on the even more mineral-inflected finish that goes on and on. Note well however that this palate coating effort is very much built-to-age and is going to need it."
- Item #: i_351786Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 97 POINTS: "Deep ruby color. A kaleidoscopically spicy and broad-ranging nose grudgingly reveals notes of red cherry, cassis, plum, violet, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and hoisin. The velvety and mouth coating imposingly-scaled and intense mineral-driven flavors are blessed with seemingly endless reserves of dry extract that coat the palate on the highly seductive finish that delivers fantastically good length on the youthfully austere, backward and immaculately well-balanced finale. This opulent yet very serious effort is also going to require a very long snooze in a very cool cellar but it should be a remarkable Musigny when it finally emerges. I would add that I don't know if this will be potentially one of the all-time great vintages for the de Vogüé Musigny but my guess is that it will at least be in the conversation, which given the historical track record of this wine, is no small compliment."
- Item #: i_334050Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97BURGHOUND 97 POINTS: "Deep ruby color. A kaleidoscopically spicy and broad-ranging nose grudgingly reveals notes of red cherry, cassis, plum, violet, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and hoisin. The velvety and mouth coating imposingly-scaled and intense mineral-driven flavors are blessed with seemingly endless reserves of dry extract that coat the palate on the highly seductive finish that delivers fantastically good length on the youthfully austere, backward and immaculately well-balanced finale. This opulent yet very serious effort is also going to require a very long snooze in a very cool cellar but it should be a remarkable Musigny when it finally emerges. I would add that I don't know if this will be potentially one of the all-time great vintages for the de Vogüé Musigny but my guess is that it will at least be in the conversation, which given the historical track record of this wine, is no small compliment."
- Item #: i_351370Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 94-96Decanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "The older vines in de Vogüé's extensive 7.2ha in Musigny date back to 1953 and make a wine that's considerably weightier than the young-vine cuvée. This is very deep and intense in colour, exhibiting layers of dark bramble and black cherry flavours and a backbone of precise, chalky, mouthwatering acidity. A wine that needs time to digest its 35% new wood."
VINOUS 94-96 POINTS: "The 2017 Musigny Vieilles Vignes Grand Cru has a very expressive, complex bouquet, the mélange of red, blue and black fruit making it difficult to identify a single dominant color. Blueberry, wild strawberry and black currant intermingle, and hints of sea spray and touches of orange blossom develop with time. The harmonious, silky palate is almost like a Romanée-Saint-Vivant in texture, offering great depth and an energetic, peppery finish that lingers long in the mouth. A divine Musigny that will deserve some bottle age."
BURGHOUND 93-96 POINTS: "An openly exotic nose offers glimpses of black cherry liqueur, ginger, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and orange peel. The tighter and much more mineral-driven big-bodied flavors also possess evident muscle on the powerful and dense yet beautifully refined finish that goes on and on. This is also a bit less structured though with that said, this is going to need at least 15 years to reach its apogee. In a word, terrific."
- Item #: i_351084Bottle Size: 750mlALLEN MEADOWS - BURGHOUND 95 POINTS - "This is also notably floral in character with a panoply of spice elements that add both depth and breadth to the cool cherry, raspberry and red currant aromas. As was the case with the Beaux Monts there is a spicy inner mouth perfume to the delicious and classy middle weight flavors that are shaped by sophisticated and very fine tannins, all wrapped in a mouth coating, focused and seriously persistent finish. A classic RSV."