- Item #: i_352596Bottle Size: 750mlBenjamin Leroux started his negociant business in 2007 after he left Domaine Comte Armand, his sizeable estate is located just outside of the Beaune ‘ring’ D470 (or as I like to call it, the Beaune ‘M25’). Even though this Maison is a fairly big operation in terms of total production size, he usually only produces a couple of barrels of each cuvee. Benjamin sources his grapes through 3 methods, 1) manages the vineyards (mostly organic/ biodynamic) / works closely with growers and picks the grapes, 2) buys the grapes from growers and, 3) his own vineyards (i.e. Meursualt Genevrieves, etc). Benjamin Leroux never buys juice/ wine as the quality tends to be unreliable and there is no guarantee the wines are what they say they are.
- Item #: i_353332Bottle Size: 750mlVéronique Bonin and Nicolas Bernard are turning out some of the most exciting white burgundy on the planet. The young couple took over the 7ha domaine, formerly known as Michelot Mère et Fille, from Véronique's family in 1999. They work exclusively in chardonnay, largely in Meursault with a few small plots in Puligny. Their strict work in the vineyard allows them to let their wines to express themselves in the cellar, with as little intervention as possible - natural yeasts, no enzymes, no chaptalization, no fining, no filtering and minimal sulfur throughout the process (à la d'Auvenay from Madame Bize-Leroy). The wines rest in mostly older barrels for 15 months and another 4 months in stainless before bottling. Bernard believes that the buttery character in Meursault is a modern invention rather than an inherent quality, and his wines are more about minerality and energy than pure richness. That's not to say these lack concentration, but rather their weightless quality defines them.
These 50 to 60 year old vines are planted at the upper reaches of Charmes, just below Perrières, and this wine always has more in common with the stony, nervy character of most Perrières than it does with your average Charmes. This is a lifted, elegant, pure and thrilling Charmes that has length and intensity to rival the very best wines of Meursault
- Item #: i_350691Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOATE 93 POINTS - "The lovely 2017 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie reveals aromas of crisp green pear, honeycomb, fresh pastry and white flowers, followed by a medium to full-bodied, satiny but fine-boned palate that's elegant and precise. As I wrote last year, it combines some of the qualities of Chenevottes and Vergers."
- Item #: i_353016Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson-Vadot, run by father and son team of Bernard and Pierre Boisson, is one of the rising stars in Mersault. The philosophy of the Domaine revolves around careful, hands-on vineyard management to coax the greatest potential of each vintage out of the various plots, and low-impact winemaking in the cellars that allows the unique terroir of each vineyard to surface. New oak is very minimal, no more than 30% for the top cuvées, and much more restraint in the village wines and in Bourgogne Blanc. Pierre Boisson produces a village Meursault from his grandmother’s vineyards (50 year old vines in the lieu-dits of Criots and Perchots) that is hailed an model wine for the appellation. The Domaine also crafts other bottlings, from three of the best lieux à dits in Meursault: Sous la Velle , Grands Charrons (planted in 1988) and Chevalières (planted in 1982). The Grands Charrons is the most expressive, intensely flavoured of the three. The Sous la Velle is a more elegant version of the Grand Charrons. The Chevalières is the most mineral-driven, with a more restraint fruit flavours in its youth but great ageing potential- More like premier crus than village wines. Finally, Boisson-Vadot makes a powerful yet charming Meursault Genevrières premier cru.
- Item #: i_353253Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 96Decanter: 96**Please note, this is a half sized bottleDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Outer quote mark Anyone who feared that quality would drop after a change of ownership at this historic domaine will be happy to know that this grand cru white is as good as ever. Blending components from three different terroirs and altitudes, it's an elegant, textured, saline white of incredible precision and understated power, with subtle toasty oak and undertones of jasmine and lemongrass."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Outer quote mark The 2017 Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru is showing superbly from bottle, wafting from the glass with a complex and beautifully integrated bouquet of pear, citrus oil, toasted sesame, warm bread, oyster shell and white flowers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, layered and multidimensional, with a racy spine of acidity and superb concentration without weight, followed by a long, defined finish. Surpassing the high expectations I formed a year ago, this would appear to be the finest wine produced at Bonneau du Martray for over a decade."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "Outer quote mark An elegant, pure and admirably fresh nose flashes notes of green apple, mineral reduction and white flower scents. The racy but lacy middle weight flavors possess both excellent detail and an abundance of minerality before culminating in a refreshing, dry and clean finish that is less austere than usual. This should age well over the next decade."
- Item #: i_353342Bottle Size: 750mlA brilliant golden color. There is a very perfumed floral nose of hawthorn mixed with aroma of almond paste and a touch of spices. The palate is big and well rounded with a rich intensity of vanilla and toast flavors. This wine represents a great persistence; it’s rich and expands offering a palate of beautiful complexity and density.
- Item #: i_350357Bottle Size: 750ml2017 was an incredibly successful vintage in Meursault, reaching the heights of the best vintages of the last decade. In fact the Wine Advocate and Vinous have rated the 2017 White Burgundy vintage overall just one point shy of the epic and uber-popular 2014 vintage.
John Gilman declares, "The white wines have the cut, energy and mineral drive of the very best white wines of the vintage... The overall lineup of 2017s from Dominique Lafon is simply outstanding in this vintage and no one is going to be disappointed with any bottle that they are lucky enough to come across in the market."
- Item #: i_352930Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 97 POINTS,
WINE ADVOCATE 94 - 96 POINTS,
JOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS,
BURGHOUND 93 - 95 POINTS
- "Divided into three separate parcels, two in Puligny and one in Chassagne, the Leflaive holdings in Bâtard amount to a more than satisfactory 1.5ha. Rich, concentrated and well upholstered, this is a plush, dense, palate-coating white that flirts with exotic fruit but finishes with focussed, chalky minerality. Drinking Window 2021 - 2027."
- Item #: i_352931Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 97 POINTS - "Bienvenues is generally less powerful than Bâtard at Leflaive, and that's certainly the case here. But what this impressive grand cru lacks in terms of weight, it more than makes up for with precision. Tangerine and pink grapefruit flavours segue into a fresh, textured finish embellished by oak. Drinking Window 2022 - 2032."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 - 95 POINTS - "Like the Pucelles, the 2017 Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru is quite tensile and reserved, unfurling in the glass with aromas of green orchard fruit, iodine, orange rind and creamy new wood. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, textural and fleshy, but taut—even firm—at the core, with good concentration, tangy acid and a bright, chalky finish. Like all these releases, I'm looking forward to seeing it from bottle."
BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - "from 45+ year old vines, which are the oldest of the Domaine). As is often the case chez Leflaive, the nose is quite similar to that of the Pucelles with the only difference being that it’s a touch riper. The highly succulent medium-bodied flavors possess equally good mid-palate sap while delivering excellent depth and persistence on the focused, balanced and wonderfully long finish. This is class in a glass and very BBM in character."
- Item #: i_345641Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 94-97WINE ADVOCATE 95 - 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru delivers a vibrant but reserved bouquet of lemon zest, white flowers and crushed chalk that is still some distance from displaying all its breadth of expression. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, deep and tensile, with a tight-knit core, searingly intense chalky extract and an electric sense of energy, concluding with a long finish. This is the most linear Chevaliers I tasted in the 2017 vintage, which was typically somewhat more open at the same stage in Anne-Claude's day, so it will be interesting to see how much plenitude it displays in bottle."
BURGHOUND 93 - 96 POINTS - "An all-but mute if cool and elegant nose only grudgingly reveals its aromas of wet stone, white flowers, tangerine peel and jasmine tea. There is almost painful intensity to the larger-scaled yet refined flavors that brim with both dry extract and a driving minerality before concluding in an equally long finish. This too is very clearly built-to-age and is a superb Chevalier that is going to require extended patience."
- Item #: i_350947Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS - "The Leflaive's 0.73ha of vines in Combettes were planted in 1960 and 1972, and consistently produce very small, intensely flavoured berries. And this is intense stuff, with beeswax, fresh pastry and citrus peel notes, stylish 20% new wood and remarkable palate length. Drinking Window 2021 - 2032."
BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - "(from 35 to 40 year old vines). A more elegant and airier nose is comprised by pure notes of acacia, spice, tea and a wide range of white-fleshed fruit. The succulent and notably more refined medium-bodied flavors possess an abundance of mouth coating sap that serve to buffer the marked firm acid spine shaping the gorgeously long and classy finish. This is excellent and should prove to be quite long-lived."
- Item #: i_352932Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS - "If you like the sort of struck-match notes that are often associated with top white Burgundies, this pithy, stony premier cru from the higher part of the village will be just your thing. I'm a huge fan of its length, balance and precision, which should guarantee good bottle development. Drinking Window 2021 - 2032."
- Item #: i_350375Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 94BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - "A discreet, even shy nose offers up attractively fresh and ultra-pure notes of citrus, honeysuckle, white peach and a hint of acacia blossom. There is excellent delineation to the intense, equally pure and seductive middle weight flavors that possess good verve and plenty of minerality on the solidly persistent finish that delivers outstanding depth. This elegant beauty is a refined mix of punch and finesse."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Pucelles wafts from the glass with aromas of spring flowers, white peach, lemon, pastry cream and blanched almonds. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, elegantly textural but tangy, with a pure, fine-boned profile. It was quite reserved when I tasted it, so I suspect it only needs time to take on the breadth and dimension that characterize a great Pucelles, but for now, the wine is quite tensile and linear."
- Item #: i_345681Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "An overtly citrus-infused nose offers up notes of relatively elegant green apple, lavender and soft jasmine tea wisps. There is notably better subtly to the agreeable textured flavors that are notably finer than they usually are, all wrapped in a sappy, delicious, complex and focused finale. This could be approached young but should also merit up to a decade in a cool cellar."
- Item #: i_352509Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Bâtard can be a little too rich for its own good on occasion, but that's definitely not the case here. Elegant and pale in colour, this benefitted from early picking and careful winemaking to deliver freshness alongside pear and quince fruit and subtle 25% new oak."
- Item #: i_352169Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "Boillot's 2017 Meursault 1er Cru Les Poruzots reveals attractive aromas of ripe green apple, Meyer lemon, white flowers and almond paste. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and layered and pure, with more concentration, cut and structure than the Charmes this year."
- Item #: i_353850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Rich and polished, with breadth and intensity to the peach, white flower, lemon tart and baking spice aromas and flavors. Builds nicely from the midpalate through the long, spice and pastry-tinged finish."