- Item #: i_350697Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC
The Aligoté is the traditional white grape of Burgundy. 60 year-old vines from within the commune of Meursault. This is a great value, and we should all be thankful that the Boissons have resisted the temptation to re-plant this site with Chardonnay.
Burgundy Aligoté reveals a very aromatic nose of fresh almonds and quince. This balanced and straight wine has a lovely mineral taste on the finish.
- Item #: i_350698Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines of Domaine Boisson-Vadot have always been excellent, with a classic, soil-driven and racy style not encumbered by excessive new oak or extensive battonage, but the wines have taken a notable step up in quality now that father and son Boisson are working side by side. The Boisson family have been vignerons in Meursault for more than two centuries, and the wines today are as fine as they have ever been in the long and illustrious family history.
- Item #: i_350454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93BURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "This is equally pretty and even cooler with its airy if slightly riper mix of both red and dark pinot fruit, violet, plum, exotic tea and all but invisible wood nuances. There is excellent volume and punch to the focused and quite powerful medium weight flavors that possess a caressing mouthfeel on the even more mineral-inflected finish that goes on and on. Note well however that this palate coating effort is very much built-to-age and is going to need it."
- Item #: i_351791Bottle Size: 750mlThis small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_350482Bottle Size: 750mlBonnes Mares is 15.05 ha – hence almost 40% larger than Musigny – and is located in both Chambolle Musigny and Morey-Saint-Denis. The main part is in Chambolle-Musigny – north of the village and Les Fuées – and only 1.52 ha is located in the Morey appellation – just south of Clos de Tart.
This small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_333891Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "A dense, well-structured style, yet with ample black cherry, blackberry, violet and iron flavors for balance. This red unfolds nicely, leaving a complex finish that introduces an accent of bittersweet chocolate. Excellent length."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "This is also quite ripe yet retains a lovely freshness to the cassis, black cherry, lavender and warm earth scents. There is excellent power and volume to the concentrated, intense and mouth coating big-bodied flavors that culminate in an impressively long and balanced finish. This possesses both good power and superb length and is absolutely one to consider."
- Item #: i_345019Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90-92Vinous Media: 91VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS: "(these 2015s were bottled in September of this year): Healthy ruby-red. Quite sun-drenched on first sniff, with raspberry and spice aromas coming across as more expressive than the '16. Sappy, spicy, highly concentrated flavors of red and purple fruits and flowers are already surprisingly supple, with an element of minerality contributing to the impression of vivacity. The plush, building tannins saturate the entire mouth. Seriously concentrated and alive. Yves Confuron told me that these wines are pumped only once, when they are assembled in tank prior to bottling." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_345020Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Burghound: 90-93BURGHOUND 94 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "A discreet application of wood frames aromas that, much like the Epenots, are super-ripe yet manage to maintain reasonably good freshness to the poached plum and violet-scented nose. This too is nothing short of massively concentrated, ripe and sumptuously opulent with a subtle minerality that helps to add lift to the borderline thick and ever-so-slightly warm finish. This muscular effort is also most impressive in its fashion though it's absolutely one to buy and then forget you own it. *Outstanding*"
VINOUS 94 POINTS: "Good ruby-red. A distinctly different expression of Pommard from the Grand Clos des Epenots, with the nose dominated by darkest berries, minerals and chocolate. Densely packed and highly concentrated but less open to inspection than the Grand Clos des Epenots; very closed in on itself but already suggests outstanding complexity. Very broad, firm tannins saturate the entire palate and the very long, rising finish leaves the tongue glistening. Classic white-soil Rugiens: already complex on the nose but in need of cellaring to gain in pliancy and expand."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "There’s plenty of black cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors in this red, along with a backbone of assertive, dusty tannins. All the elements are in the correct proportion, but just need time to integrate. The long aftertaste also indicates potential"
- Item #: i_334227Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "This too flirts with brett though in this case it is so subtle that I almost hesitate to mention it as it's very much a background element on the otherwise pungently earthy purple fruit and floral scents. The fresh, energetic and highly detailed middle weight plus flavors possess excellent concentration and minerality before concluding in a linear, intense and youthfully austere finish. Given that this is not in bottle it's hard to know what may be done and thus my range offers the benefit of the doubt."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(from old vines on white, rocky soil above Les Rugiens; vinified with 15% whole clusters): Bright medium red. Red berries and smoky minerality on the nose. Suave, seamless and intense, conveying a touch of medicinal austerity that brings freshness for the year. Finishes with firm, rising tannins and excellent lingering flavor intensity. Rossignol believes the wine's slightly roasted quality is a function of its minerality rather than from oak. And he noted that even if the pH here went as high as 3.8, he would not adjust the wine's acidity due to its chalky, saline character and inherent energy."
- Item #: i_333340Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 92-95 POINTS: "Once again there is just enough reduction present to mask the underlying fruit but not the earth and underbrush elements; moreover it is sufficiently light that I doubt that it will persist for very long. Otherwise there is a slightly finer mouth feel to the sleek, intense and muscular mineral-driven flavors that explode on the sappy, rich and balanced finale that displays strikingly good length. However, note well that like the Charmes, this is definitely not constructed for early drinking so be prepared to have at least some patience."
- Item #: i_333343Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 95-97 POINTS "DON'T MISS": "A discreet application of wood does not reduce the considerable appeal of the ripe, pure and airy nose with its broad mélange of wild red berry fruit liqueur, earth, spice, violets and a hint of animale. The broad-shouldered flavors possess superb mid-palate concentration that enrobes the buried but still quite firm tannins while culminating in a beautifully balanced, muscular and explosively long finish. This is also very clearly built to age yet like the Clos St. Denis, there is so much sap that this could be drunk now with pleasure. A 'wow' wine."
- Item #: i_333537Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS: "A slightly more elegant if still deeply pitched nose features aromas of red and dark raspberry, earth, floral nuances and an interesting hint of smoked meat. Consistent with the elegance of the nose the medium-bodied flavors are a bit finer as well though they certainly don't lack for power, punch and concentration, indeed this is even more firstly structured and the tannic spine makes it indisputably clear that this is going to be a long-distance runner.'
- Item #: i_333349Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 95DECANTER 95 POINTS - "A blend of four parcels worked as a joint venture since 2009. Dark fruits on the nose with Pinot lift and great intensity and purity. Very ripe with no trace of jamminess, while firm tannins give grip and structure. Very assertive now but has great energy and drive. A wine of great splendour and potential."
- Item #: i_345116Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Burghound: 93-96Decanter: 97DECANTER 97 POINTS: "Cote Bouguerots is a distinct, late-ripening, sector within Bougros Grand Cru on even steeper slopes (45 degrees in parts) which are a shallow mix of clay and gravel. This plot was identified by Didier Seguier and is a personal favourite of his. Acidity is more pronounced here than in the warmer, more generous Bougros. Flinty, austere yet fine, there is an electric intensity which bodes well for long-term ageing. Still very youthful, this has great length and class on the finish. Oak treatment is similar to Bougros - subtle and adding to texture rather than flavour."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "The 2015 Chablis Grand Cru Bougros Cote de Bouguerots was the standout wine when I tasted the range of William Fevre from barrel. Now in bottle, the nose has closed down, but there remains a brooding intensity here and superb mineralité. The palate is very well balanced with a touch of orange zest and quince on the entry. There is a keen line of acidity here and quite a powerful finish that lingers long in the mouth. Give this three or four years in bottle and it should offer another ten years of drinking pleasure."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS: "Offers apple, lemon and stone flavors, backed by a firm structure. Lean and taut, yet balanced, persisting through the long finish. Best from 2019 through 2025."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS: "A reserved but ripe nose features white fruit and floral notes that are set off by deft touches of classic Chablis character and wood. There is both good richness and power to the concentrated, vibrant and mineral-driven medium plus weight flavors that also possess ample amounts of dry extract that confer a textured feel to the impressively intense and mouth coating finish. This too is really quite good."
- Item #: i_333991Bottle Size: 750MLThe Domaine Hubert Lignier has long had a reputation for its fine wines known for their concentration, depth and structure. The Ligniers follow the principles of “lutte raisonnée” (sensible combat) in their viticulture: for example, only organic compost is used when necessary and the vineyard is tilled so that no herbicides are used. raditional vinification practices are the core of their work: grapes are destemmed and fermentation takes place in open-top cement tanks that allow manual pigéage. Only natural yeasts are used. This is pitch-perfect Gevrey-Chambertin: meaty and succulent, with classic Lignier poise and a long, mineral-drenched, driving finish.
- Item #: i_350592Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Burghound: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 - 96 POINTS - "The 2015 La Grande Rue Grand Cru, from the 1.65-hectare monopole, has a very fine bouquet, quite open and expressive with red cherry, bergamot, early grey and light earthy scents that unfold in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition. There is superb tension on the entry and conspicuous salinity here. It is not a powerful La Grande Rue but in keeping with Nicole Lamarche's vision, pursues elegance and style. Yet the persistence is very long, so much so that I have written this entire tasting note and I can still feel my mouth tingling! This is superb."
BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "This perfumed beauty displays fireworks in a glass with its kaleidoscopic nose of super spicy, floral and cool red and dark berry nose. The middle weight flavors are less concentrated and powerful than those of the Grands Ech but markedly finer with a caressing and sophisticated mouthfeel that carries over to the rich finish that once again tightens up noticeably on the impeccably well-balanced and strikingly persistent finish. While at least some patience will also be required this classy effort should be approachable sooner than the Grands Ech. 2030+"
- Item #: i_351045Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A big, rich red, this evokes bilberry, black cherry, spice and mineral aromas and flavors. A touch exotic, with a good dose of new oak that will need to be resolved. Starts out silky, until the solid structure takes over. Terrific length. Best from 2024 through 2047."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "Reduction. The medium-bodied flavors possess good volume and punch along with a lovely bead of minerality while concluding in a textured, mouth coating and relatively powerful finish. This is perhaps not quite as refined as it usually is but that is a very minor nit in what is otherwise a fine Ech."
- Item #: i_350701Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Burghound: 93-96WINE ADVOCATE 95 - 97 POINTS - "The 2015 Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru has another very composed and delineated bouquet that for me attests more complexity and terroir-expression than the Chambertin. This is just exquisite - you can feel the vineyard here. The palate is medium-bodied with very fine tannin, a keen line of acidity, very supple tannins with a surfeit of finesse and refinement on the finish. This is one of the best releases from Louis Jadot this vintage out of over 100 samples reviewed. These tasting notes belong under the umbrella of "Louis Jadot", though it should be pointed out that these bottlings are under "Domaine Louis Jadot", that is to say that the company owns the vines rather than through contracts with growers. See also "Maison Louis Jadot", "Domaine Gagey" and "Domaine des Héritiers Jadot". (12/2016)
BURGHOUND 93 - 96 POINTS - "Plenty of wood and menthol elements mark the wonderfully spicy and notably ripe nose that combines notes of red berry fruit liqueur, a panoply of spices and a whisper of mocha. The highly seductive and concentrated flavors possess an opulent mid-palate mouth feel that is borderline unctuous, all wrapped in a gorgeously long, complex and well-balanced finish. While the sheer density of material should enable this to be approached after only a decade or so, if you wish to see it at its peak, this too is pretty much a “buy and forget you own it” wine. (93-96)/2035+ (4/2017)"
- Item #: i_350388Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 96 - 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru is a class act in the making, perhaps one of the finest barrel samples that I have tasted from Drouhin. This gem has a gorgeous and extraordinarily pure bouquet with crushed strawberry, pomegranate and overripe orange scents that are exquisite and beautifully defined. The palate is medium-bodied with super fine, almost filigree tannin that seem to caress the senses. It constitutes the most sophisticated of Drouhin's 2015s with ineffable finesse on the finish that lingers so long in the mouth. This is simply a brilliant wine."
BURGHOUND 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_350830Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "This too is presently quite firmly reduced. Otherwise there is a similar mouth feel to the Caillerets with perhaps even more minerality present on the well-muscled and more powerful flavors that also coat the palate with dry extract on the wonderfully persistent if youthfully austere finish. This is a big but well-balanced Taillepieds that is also going to require extended cellaring before it's ready for prime time."
- Item #: i_351031Bottle Size: 750mlBoisson, the great Meursault producer, also makes a small amount of wine on "the other side of the hill" in the hamlet of Auxey. Differing from the Meursault holdings, the Auxey Durresses 1er cru Reugne 2015 is filled with white fruits, minerals, ginger, creme and a touch of spice notes. Mid weight and clean with a beautiful fresh acidity, enjoy this wine now (decanting recommended) or over the next 8 years.
- Item #: i_351800Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS: "A pretty yet very Gevrey nose displays notes of the sauvage, humus and underbrush along with plenty of newly turned earth character on the plum and red cherry-scented aromas. There is both good intensity and verve to the big-bodied and utterly delicious flavors that coat the palate with dry extract which also helps to buffer the very firm tannins on the brooding, youthfully austere and notably serious finale. This is borderline old school in style and is going to need plenty of cellaring."