- Item #: i_351699Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Cornas Les Vieilles Vignes is cut from the same mold yet has a touch more tannins as well as mid-palate density. Notes of crème de cassis, blueberries, camphor, toasted spice, and smoked game all soar from the glass, and it's full-bodied, power-packed, yet elegant and seamless on the palate. Its wealth of fruit largely conceals plenty of underlying structure, and while it's already fun to taste, give bottles 4-5 years and enjoy over the following 10-15 years or more. The old vine cuvée comes from the Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards, and Chaillot lieu-dits, from 60+-year-old vines, was 80% destemmed and spent 20 months in 15-20% new French oak."
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vines with an average age of 60 years from lieux-dits Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards and Chaillot provide the fruit for this Cornas. It spends 20 months in barriques, around 20% new. There are multiple layers to the aromatic palate: rosemary, thyme, herbal bitters, blackberry, blackcurrant and loganberry. A medium-bodied, concentrated but unforced wine with no excessive extraction, a subtly spiced finish and sinewy, brushed tannins. Detailed, focussed, structured and textural, this is captivating and true to its terroir."
- Item #: i_350498Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-94JEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS: "One of the gems in the Northern Rhône lineup is the 2018 Côte Rôtie, which, as with all of Louis’ wines, wasn’t destemmed and was brought up in 30-40% new oak. Stunning aromatics of black raspberries, olive tapenade, ground pepper, violets, and assorted meat notes all flow to a medium to full-bodied, opulent, seamless Côte Rôtie that has a smoking good texture. Count me impressed."
- Item #: i_353829Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Vinous Media: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Brilliant magenta. Expansive scents of fresh blackberry and boysenberry are complicated by suggestions of cracked pepper, olive and pungent flowers. Sappy, appealingly sweet dark berry preserve and cherry flavors show sharp delineation and spice and mineral qualities that build with air. Finishes with strong, energetic cut, well-knit tannins and lingering sweetness."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Pure and refined, with alluring cherry and damson plum fruit, lined with violet and sandalwood notes and showing subtle chalky minerality through the finish. Sneakily long, with the minerality lingering nicely. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_333216Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90-92JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS: "The largest production effort is the 2016 Saint Joseph Silice, which offers lots of blackberry jam, Asian spice, and peppered meat aromas and flavors. This ripe, sexy, beautifully textured 2016 is going to be another terrific value for the true wine lovers and drinkers out there. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_351582Bottle Size: 750mlThis small family Domaine of 1.5 hectares is situated in the heart of the Saint-Joseph appellation, in Ardèche, the Northern section of the Rhône wine region in Southern France.Although her family had for many years supplied grapes to a large local négociant, Martine Rouchier and her husband, Christian, determined in 2010 to begin making their own wine. They immediately began converting their vineyards to organic viticulture, a process that they completed beginning with the 2013 vintage. By 2015, Martine and Christian were practicing not only completely organic and biodynamic farming and fermentation. but also fully “natural” winemaking, in that their Saint-Joseph is made entirely without added sulfur. Domaine Rouchier produces two cuvées parcellaires of 100% Syrah: Luc is a .5-hectare lieu-dit of vines planted in 1972 on the hills above St-Jean de Muzols. The vineyard lies on a west-facing slope at an elevation of approximately 250m in soil comprised of clay and schist. Chave is a 1-hectare lieu-dit planted with vines dating to 1958. With Western exposition, Chave lies on soil dominated by granitic gneiss. Both cuvées employ two weeks of whole-cluster fermentation in concrete over indigenous yeasts, punctuated with pigeage (punching down) and remontage (pumping over). The young wine is then aged over for 16-18 months in neutral (5-9 years) oak barrels of 228L . The finished wine is then bottled unfiltered and entirely without SO2.
- Item #: i_351706Bottle Size: 750mlLionel Faury may be best known for his earthy northern Rhône crus of Côte-Rôtie, St-Joseph, and Condrieu, but he also farms on the plateaus of the Collines Rhodaniennes. The Collines Rhodaniennes sit at a slightly higher altitude than the famous crus across the river and offer terrific values for Rhône wine lovers. If the great crus offer more longevity in bottle, this Syrah delivers irresistible approachability while young. The Faurys’ old-school style offers wonderful aromatics and textural complexity that always make them a pleasure to drink. Lovely notes of blackberries and violets shine amidst a backdrop of granite minerals and soft brambly tannins, offering just as much lively refreshment as earthy intensity.
- Item #: i_353301Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 92JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "Attractive peppery and spicy nose with an air of complexity and real interest. Plenty of stony aromas, violets and blackberries. The palate has a fluid, supple build with plush ripe dark plum and blackberry fruit flavors amid muscular but resolved tannins. Drink now."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS: "Lively raspberry and blackberry coulis flavors pump through, lined with a mouthwatering anise note. The finish is streaked with singed apple wood details, leaving an energetic feel. Very solid. Drink now through 2027. 2,940 cases made."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_353492Bottle Size: 750mlFleurs de Mai comes from very old Syrah vines planted by George Vernay on the upper plateau. Prior to being planted to vines, the vineyard was a peach orchard, and Fleurs de Mai references a variety of peach. This medium ruby-colored effort gives up plenty of exotic, peppery, almost tropical notes as well as blackberry and black raspberry fruits, medium body, fine tannins, and a sexy, incredibly gulpable style.
- Item #: i_351949Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 94James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96
JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "The 2,000-case 2018 Hermitage Maison Bleue comes from the eastern side of the appellation and is a much more fleshy, opulent wine compared to the more mineral-laced La Chapelle. Jammy blackberry and cassis fruit, notes of ground herbs, graphite, and violets, full-bodied richness, beautiful concentration, and a great finish all make for a compelling Hermitage. It’s going to benefit from 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "The 2018 Hermitage La Maison Bleue offers up aromas of mocha, raspberries and a hint of black olive. It's full-bodied, velvety and plush, with a finish that's marked by hints of maple syrup and a slightly open-knit quality. It should drink well for at least a decade after release."
- Item #: i_352240Bottle Size: 750mlPaul Wasserman: “In cask this was all umami on the nose. Incredibly complex and compelling. The kind of nose so great you hate to move on to actually tasting the wine. Tapenade, green peppercorns, tarragon, Szechuan pepper, jus de viande. Like with the Crozes les Habrards, there is a lot of the color green. It actually reminded of a specific dish we make at the farm, the most umami dish we make, the one I have pregnant cravings for. It’s an Italian dish. Rabbit in a sauce that has anchovies, capers, and vinegar. Bottling has closed this up a little, and made it darker. It starts with griotte cherries, and the savory has moved from green to blue-black, to plums and vegemite. It is now closed on the palate too, but it is quiet rather than austere; it has the reserve of a truly great wine built for the ages. You definitely need to give this a two-hour decant to get it back to its life in cask. But it does go back there. Painfully slowly. La Force Tranquille. But when it finally cracks, the finish is superlative. Long, fresh, savory, complex. As the French say: PMG (pour ma gueule); or as the seagulls do: Mine!”
- Item #: i_353297Bottle Size: 750mlA legendary wine from one of the original Rhône valley winemaking estates. The first Sorrel family vineyards were planted at the turn of the 20th century, predating WWI. Marc's son Guillaume now heads the estate, continuing to craft highly sought-after wines of grace and splendor.
VINOIS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Smoke-and mineral-accented black and blue fruit preserve, licorice pastille and incense scents, plus a hint of musky earth in the background. Nicely concentrated, spice-laced black currant and bitter cherry flavors become sweeter and more energetic with air. Delivers solid punch but comes off graceful, finishing with very good persistence and dusty, slow-building tannins."
- Item #: i_353298Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 94His winemaking technique is distinctly non-interventionist - he rarely de-stems, he doesn't use new oak and his wines are often aged for up to two years before bottling. This traditional approach gives an old-fashioned style of Hermitage which is full, well-structured and very long-lived.
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "85% from lieu-dit Les Plantiers and 15% from Les Bessards, which have spent 20 months in old barriques. It's a restrained and elegant style, but not without power. This has bright blackcurrant and black pepper aromas, and a good weight of integral tannin, bright acidity and sublime freshness. It's a toothsome style, with good texture and relief."
- Item #: i_353826Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - " Glistening violet. Smoke- and mineral-accented cherry and black raspberry scents are complemented by suggestions of violet and cracked pepper. Silky in texture and lively on the palate, offering gently sweet dark berry, cherry compote and floral pastille flavors firmed by a spine of juicy acidity. The spicy note returns on an impressively long, penetrating finish that shows very good clarity and subtle, fine-grained tannins."
- Item #: i_321299Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine Pradelle is a family estate since 1854 managed by the Pradelle brothers, Jacques and Jean-Louis, and Antoine Pradelle, the son of Jacques.The vineyard is 35 hectares and located all around Tain l’Hermitage on the both sides of the Rhone river. On the left-bank of the Rhône the grapes are used to make Crozes-Hermitage. Courbis is the name of the single vineyard.
11 months in 30hl barrels-15% new oak. Clay with gravel Now until 2017
- Item #: i_352156Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This is very solidly built, nearly bristling with briary energy along the edges while the core of steeped plum, cherry and currant fruit cruises through. Mouthwatering savory, tobacco and olive notes score the finish, all set against a lovely floral accent in the background."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "There are 20,000 bottles of Rostaing's 2016 Cote Rotie Ampodium, so it is the cuvée most consumers are likely to encounter. It's a fine example of the appellation, offering briary notes of ripe red fruit with spice and herb shadings. It's medium-bodied, silky and fine, with attractive notes of licorice and tea on the finish that give this entry-level wine more complexity than most."
- Item #: i_353289Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "Tightly wound, with a solid core of dark currant, raspberry and blackberry reduction notes, laced with sweet tobacco, singed mesquite and sanguine details. Shows piercing focus on the finish, with serious length as the mineral edge lingers. Best from 2021 through 2035. 625 cases made, 10 cases imported."
- Item #: i_353642Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Deep violet. Powerful, smoke-accented dark berries, licorice and pungent flowers on the mineral-inflected nose. Chewy black and blue fruit and candied violet flavors take on a spicy aspect as the wine opens up. In a generous yet still lively style, with solid finishing thrust and dusty tannins framing a long, dark-fruit-dominated finish."
- Item #: i_351141Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Saturated magenta. Expansive aromas of ripe red and blue fruit, potpourri, incense and smoky minerals pick up a spicy nuance as the wine opens up. Broad and seamless in the mouth, displaying fine delineation to the sappy, mineral-drenched black raspberry, boysenberry, violet pastille and spicecake flavors. Shows a distinctly elegant character and finishes extremely long and sweet, with discreet tannins framing lingering blue fruit and floral notes."