- Item #: i_353121Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine la Barroche is a family estate that has been passed down from one generation to the next since the 14th century. Julien’s father, Christian Barrot, is passionate about viticulture and has taken meticulous care of the family’s 12.5 hectare of vines since the early 1970’s. Until Julien joined his father back in 2002, all of the wine had been sold in bulk to negociants. Now, half of the Grenache vines are more than 100 years-old and are some of the oldest found in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Julien has moved to completely organic viticulture (not certified) and his father is still following his passion and continues to work in the vineyards. Taking all of his father’s work to the next level, Julien is now vinifying each grape variety and some parcels separately, studying and learning his holdings parcel by parcel.
The 2017 Domaine La Barroche Chateauneuf-du-Pape offers a singular wine personality, a delicate alchemy of spices and well-ripened black fruits, a delight for the senses.
- Item #: i_351780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Located at the foot of the village of Rasteau between the towns of Orange and Vaison-la-Romaine, Domaine Beau Mistral is comprised of 28 hectares (70 acres) covering several appellations from the southern Rhône Valley and is rightly situated next to such famous crus from the region such as Châteauneuf du Pape and Gigondas.
After being passed through destemming machine, the grapes are added to tanks where the temperature is closely monitored throughout the fermentation, which lasts several weeks. Pumping-over and some gentle punching-down take place in order to preserve the wine’s fruit and suppleness.
Ageing: 100% in tank.
Food pairing: This wine pairs exceptionally well with red meats and dishes such as roasted veal with morel mushrooms, herb-crusted ribs and cheeses.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "With its complex aromas of spice and red fruit, the 2016 Cairanne Les Garrigues is a knockout. Plus, it's medium to full-bodied, plump and succulent, with supple tannins and terrific freshness. It never seems heavy or alcoholic. Drink now to 2025."
- Item #: i_304757Bottle Size: 750MLSince the 2004 vintage, we have expanded our work with the Levet family to include a second bottling of Cote Rotie known as “Les Journaries”, a cuvée drawn from grapes harvested from old vines in the “La Landonne” lieu-dit. This wine is more subtle, more elegant and “quieter” if you will than the “Chavaroche”. At the same time, it is very much a Levet wine with a bouquet of violets, wild berries, a touch of animal and resinous-like tannins that speak of the inclusion of stems (a hallmark of the Levet tradition). The “Journaries” is approachable at an earlier stage than its companion “La Chavaroche” but, that being said, it is a wine that not only ages gracefully but almost requires a touch of patience. Bernard Levet’s wines are well-structured wines that are built for aging and experience significant improvement with time in bottle. In our opinion, these wines at maturity reflect most effectively the true nature of the terroir of Cote Rotie. MADROSE
- Item #: i_351375Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 95Decanter: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape is another sunny, beautifully Provençal effort that has a huge nose of garrigue, raw steak, leather, truffle, and peppery spice. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and balanced, it’s not a massive Beaucastel yet it has a classic, Provençal, incredibly satisfying style that will benefit from 4-6 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The full-bodied, dense 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape seems a bit closed at the moment, but Asian five spice powder still brings plenty of complexity and nuance to the rich, dark fruit aromas and flavors. Multidimensional, layered and long, this is another terrific vintage for Beaucastel's main cuvée, perhaps falling just slightly behind the 2016 and 2018."
- Item #: i_352234Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Blanc takes it up a notch, offering rocking notes of white peach, quince, crushed rocks, and honeysuckle. It’s medium to full-bodied, with a beautiful core of sweet fruit, a layered texture, and a great finish. It’s unquestionably another beautiful wine, and while 2018 was challenging for the whites, you wouldn’t know it by tasting this."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "A terrific example of Beaucastel's white, the 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc boasts lavish aromas of honeydew and tangerine. It's full-bodied and round, lush and concentrated, with terrific length and presence on the palate."
- Item #: i_353005Bottle Size: 750mlAs has always been the case, Versino makes very little Cuvée des Felix—usually about 400 cases in total, a fraction of which make it to the US. Bois de Boursan grows all the 13 authorized Châteauneuf varieties in their multitude of vineyard parcels (27 plots across 10 hectares, all in the village of Châteauneuf-du-Pape proper), but this wine is driven by Grenache (65%) and Mourvèdre (25%), with Syrah (5%) and an assortment of other varieties comprising the balance. It is aged 18 months in used French oak barriques and is typically a touch more tannic and tightly wound compared to Bois de Boursan’s estate Châteauneuf bottling (which we offered back in January). Nevertheless, like most Châteauneuf-du-Pape, today’s 2012 is delicious to drink now, thanks to Grenache’s generous fruit. It is downright explosive right out of the gate, with a dark, ruby-black hue in the glass and lots of black fruits on the nose and palate: crushed blackberry, cherry, and boysenberry are layered with black licorice, cacao nibs, wild herbs, lavender, warm spices and leather with faint accents of dried olive and meat stock. It is full-bodied on the palate, its richness checked by a lively jolt of freshness. Think big, but agile: It’s built to age 10-15 years and will show best following a 45-minute decant and a service temperature closer to 60 degrees. Use some big Burgundy stems and pair it with pulled pork cooked “low and slow” in the oven. This pairing is a ‘master class’ in concentrated flavors and a great way to enjoy one of wine’s most enduring classics. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_353006Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS - ""Still not bottled, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a terrific wine, as well as a great example of the vintage. Ripe and upfront, with a gorgeous bouquet of black cherries, blackberries, new saddle leather, and roasted herbs, it's full-bodied, has sensational depth and richness, ripe, yet present tannin, and a great finish. Give it a few years and drink it over the following 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_353128Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Features a core of gently steeped plum and boysenberry fruit, laced with a mouthwatering anise note and gilded with sandalwood and violet hints throughout. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. Drink now through 2023."
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_353133Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the 2017s and starting with the base Châteauneuf Du Pape, it's a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah that was brought up mostly in demi-muids. Revealing a ruby/purple hue as well as notes of black raspberries, kirsch, garrigue, incense, and loamy soil and earth, this beauty hits the palate with beautiful depth of fruit, a layered, rounded, sexy texture, no hard edges, remarkable purity, and just tons of charm. Drink it any time over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_349955Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "This is tightly coiled, with intense raspberry and cherry reduction notes waiting to unwind, but held in check for now by myriad licorice, iron, rooibos tea and singed alder details. Shows terrific cut and tension through the finish, revealing a blaze of minerality. Just needs some time to harmonize fully."
- Item #: i_352095Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91VINOUS MEDIA; ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "Smoke-accented cherry, dark berries and licorice on the perfumed nose, which takes on succulent floral and herb nuances with air. Smooth, concentrated and gently sweet, offering mineral- and spice-accented black raspberry, cherry and violet pastille flavors and a spicy jolt of cracked pepper. Finishes supple, sweet and quite long, with harmonious tannins and lingering florality."
- Item #: i_350488Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "This is the Syrah blend, roughly 70% Syrah, 20-25% Grenache, the rest either Viognier and Roussanne, not co-fermented, but blended then aged for a year in tank. The Syrah-dominated 2010 IGP Vaucluse Heloise is a beauty that has an open, rounded, complex style. Offering lots of blackberries, spice, hints of pepper and forest floor, It's medium-bodied, silky, and elegant on the palate, with fine tannin and beautiful elegance. It reminds me of a Côte Rôtie from the southern part of the appellation."
- Item #: i_353426Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC, ORGANIC
A blend of roussanne, white grenache and marsanne with a touch of viognier – from the southern Rhône Valley. Deliciously rich, concentrated wine with mandarin, orange zest, toasted almond, apricot and subtle spice flavours. A complex, powerful wine that’s textural and mouthfilling.” – Bob Campbell MW Tasting Note: A blend of Rousanne, White Grenache and Marsanne, with a touch of Viognier. Barrel-aged for 8 months. The nose is powerful and expressive with citrus aromas and hints of toasted almonds and anise. In the mouth it has flavours of lime with good acidity and mineralogy, and a very long finish. Ideally coupled with foods such as salmon, game, poultry, rabbit, pâté and hard cheeses. Serve lightly chilled at 14ºC. Enjoy now or for five to six years.
- Item #: i_350340Bottle Size: 750mlWines from Le Clos du Caillou are Rhône blends at their most intense. Concentrated and richly textured, these organically raised, older-vine wines capture the spice and silk of old-vine Grenache grown on the region’s finest terroirs. Each wine too reflects the native perfumes of the south, the “garrigue” blend of thyme, rosemary and lavender that grows wild among the estate’s vines. Of all the terroir in the Côtes du Rhône appellation, the “clos” of Caillou has to be one of the most exceptional. Completely surrounded by Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, this walled parcel of land was intentionally left out of the appellation by the owner, following a bureaucratic spat back in 1936. What this means today is that Caillou’s Côtes du Rhône wines are the qualitatively the same, with regard to terroir and exposition, as top Châteauneuf wines.
- Item #: i_351752Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "While this dry wine's crisp apple, white grapefruit and pear notes are understated on the nose and palate, its opulent, creamy mouthfeel is the showcase. Full bodied and honeyed yet not heavy, it shows hints of cashew, earth and saline complexities in development. Although drinking elegantly now, it should be even better from 2026."
- Item #: i_352716Bottle Size: 750mlProducer/Owner: Hervé Bizeul Vintage: 2010 Color: red Grape variety: grenache 50%, carignan 30%, syrah 20% Service temperature (in °C): 16 Information about the producer Viticulture: sustainable farming Intensity : classic Dominant aroma : black fruit Tasting occasion : gastronomic wine "Vieilles Vignes" is without doubt the property's most representative wine, which gives an indication of the potential of Vingrau's terroir, and of the winegrower working it. If you want to know what the two together are capable of, this should be your first choice. It consists of a blend of the property's oldest vines (from 50 to 100 years old), mainly planted on fine clay-limestone hillsides. The wine is aged in barrels that have held one, two or three wines for 60% of the total volume, and the rest in concrete vats. Before settling down amid the vines, walls and soil of the Clos des Fées, Hervé Bizeul's peregrinations had been many, flitting around the wine business and the world in general. As a sommelier, as a journalist… but most of all, as a son of this hard ground, with a real pride in Roussillon. It was one day in 1990, looking out onto this desert of scrubland, with its dry stone walls and vines planted in pick-hacked holes amid the green oaks with their twisted branches, that he decided to take his passion for wine to its logical extreme by becoming a wine grower himself. Thanks to his hard work in the vines – but also through his formidable enthusiasm for selling and promoting his wine with a talent for forging links that is somewhat uncommon among growers, who enjoy the solitary company of their vines and can be uneasy with commercial relationships – Bizeul would be quick to find success. And this success would enable him to live comfortably and develop his domain by expanding it through the purchase of parcels of land (both already planted and awaiting plantation), hiring workers, buying increasingly advanced equipment and continuing to tour the wine shows of France and the world, proudly flying the flag of his own wines as well as all the others in his region. But if you think Hervé Bizeul has retired his pen, then think again: today, he is among the most prolific contributors to be found in the blogosphere.
- Item #: i_352742Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95 PointsDecanter: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I always love this cuvée, and the 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Quartz offers a terrific perfume of black raspberries, white flowers, orange blossom, honeysuckle, and crushed rocks. It's medium to full-bodied, seamless, and finesse-driven on the palate, with the pure, elegant style of the estate front and center. It picks up more minerality with time in the glass, is beautifully balanced, and has a great finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Quartz features scents of black olives and black cherries on the nose. It's a full-bodied, dense, tightly packed wine that will need time to fully express itself—is it a modern-day 2005? Ample cherry and stone fruit appear on the long, intense finish, confirming the terrific potential this wine possesses."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "Grown half on galets and half on sand in lieu-dit Les Cassanets, the fruit is destemmed and fermented mostly in concrete, before being matured in demi-muid, except for a 10% portion in amphora. It has a highly individual aromatic profile, very dark and brooding. The full-bodied palate features black fruits with a lovely sense of purity and line. There's real weight and presence without heaviness, and wonderful harmony and balance. A highly polished wine with a slight sweetness to the fruit and a very long finish. The best Quartz in some time from Clos du Caillou - real depths to explore here despite the polish."
- Item #: i_352497Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94DECANTER 94 POINTS - "Sourced from lieu-dit Les Bédines, the fruit is destemmed and fermented in concrete, then matured 75% in foudre and 25% in demi-muid. Loganberry and bay leaf notes display burgeoning complexity, leading to a very full-bodied and flowing palate with highly polished red berry fruit. It has great finesse in a highly tailored style, with incredible silkiness to the tannins - they're plentiful but super-fine. Captivating and seductive."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "More elegant as well as more complex, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Safres boasts beautiful notes of kirsch liqueur, new saddle leather, garrigue, and pepper incense. Rounded, beautifully textured, and elegant, with ultra-fine tannins, it's a seamless, sensational Châteauneuf Du Pape wine that shines on all accounts. It shows the sunny, sexy style of the vintage and is approachable today yet will keep for 15+ years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Hints of rosemary and pine accent cherries and apricots in the Grenache-dominated 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Safres. Full-bodied, rich and velvety, it finishes long and intense. Already drinking well, it should continue to do so through 2030."
- Item #: i_352242Bottle Size: 750mlLa Roquète sits on prime real estate at the foot of the Piélong plateau, north of the village of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and adjacent to the western end of the famous Le Rayas vineyard. Galets roulés scatter the vineyard floor, but the primarily sandy soils impart great finesse to the wine. The Bruniers recommend drinking the white young for its freshness and elegance, but it can also evolve for several years if so desired.
- Item #: i_352778Bottle Size: 750mlClos Saint Jean Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc is produced from equal parts Grenache Blanc, Roussanne and Clairette. The wine is aged in a combination of new, French oak barrels and vats. The production is quite small with than less than 350 cases made per year.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - " Review: "The whites here continue to improve. The 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Blanc offers a rocking bouquet of key lime pie, tangerine, and ripe peach that gives way to a powerful, opulent, medium to full-bodied white that has tons of flesh and texture, beautiful balance, and a great finish. This is a white for the dinner table."
- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As always, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes has a touch more dark fruits, more concentration, and more structure, which makes it less approachable but more age-worthy. Blackcurrants, ground pepper, bouquet garni, crushed rocks, and garrigue notes all emerge from this structured, focused, yet ripe and beautifully textured Châteauneuf Du Pape that's going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes starts off with scents of tapenade, then adds ripe cherries and cola notes. Dark and concentrated, it's full-bodied and open-knit, perhaps a bit coarser than the elegant 2016, with a touch of chocolate on the long finish. The Grenache in this cuvée was planted in 1905, making this a relative value among old-vine offerings."
- Item #: i_300108Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of: 40% Marsanne, 30% Ugni blanc, 25% Clairette, 5% Bourboulenc
Cassis is not only an active port, but what Kermit calls "an earthly paradise." The vineyards of Clos Sainte Magdeleine are particularly stunning. They jut out on a private cape to meet majestic limestone cliffs, poised spectacularly above the sparkling, azure Mediterranean. With landscapes such as these, it is only fitting that writers and poets alike have found inspiration in Cassis. Only a handful of vignerons today are fortunate enough to produce A.O.C. Cassis, and the small quantities available are largely consumed locally with fresh fish—the best way to enjoy them. The Sack-Zafiropulos family has been making wine here for four generations and has continued to craft wines of grace and finesse, just as they were when founder Jules Savon won the Gold Medal for the domaine at the World's Fair in 1900. That they share their limited quantities with us makes this long-term relationship all the more special.
Viticulture and vinification at Clos Sainte Magdeleine is under the direction of Francois Sack. The domaine bottles both a white and a rose, the latter of which is especially limited. Sack just started the three-year long conversion to organic viticulture, a philosophic progression after years of sustainable farming. Clos Sainte Magdeleine's success lies in an uncanny ability to capture a dichotomous nerve and sun-kissed unctuousness in their wines, making them both incredibly food-friendly and delicious entirely on their own.