- Item #: i_344031Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89-91ROBERTPARKER.COM 89-91 POINTS: "The 2016 Alter Ego de Palmer is a blend of 40% Merlot, 48% Cabernet Sauvignon and 12% Petit Verdot this year (a little less Merlot than usual). That exuberant Merlot drives the aromatics along, almost citrus-like with scents of blood orange and blueberries soaring from the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with grainy tannin on the entry, quite sharp acidity at first, quite structured for an Alter Ego with a grippy finish. I think the new oak will bind this together, this sample coming from a used barrel."
VINOUSMEDIA 90-93 POINTS: "The 2016 Alter Ego represents a fairly big departure is style from what has been the norm in recent vintages. Bright red stone fruit, tobacco, flowers and herbs. The combination of less Merlot and naturally lower alcohol are among the factors that have contributed to an especially silky, perfumed Alter Ego built on considerable finesse." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_344002Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 95Decanter: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "This is really excellent with sliced apples, lemon rind, minerals and stones. Medium to full body, vivid and energetic acidity and a long and powerful, almost minerally finish. Wow. Inner quote mark (4/2017)
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "This offers more proof that the whites in the Médoc have resisted the heat of August. The pH here is 3.01, and certainly the impression in the glass is of beautiful freshness with a creamy mid-palate of white peaches, honeysuckle and gentle citrus sorbet. Fermented at a low temperature in a combination of stainless steel, one year old barrels and 45% new oak with a very light toast, this is very delicate and extremely pretty. A blend of 52% Sauvignon Blanc, 30% Semillon and 18% Muscadelle.
- Item #: i_353293Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is so delicious now with plum, chocolate and hazelnut character. Full-bodied, layered and yummy. Round tannins are so integrated. Really hard not to drink now. So why not? Second wine of Chateau d’Issan."
- Item #: i_344263Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 90 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Attractive violets and redcurrants with darker forest berries and graphite, too. The palate has a lithe and plush red-fruit core. Vibrant berries abound. Good wine."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This generous wine comes from a 239-acre property. It has weight, layers of black-currant flavors balanced by rich tannins and juicy acidity. The fruitiness is intense, given essential freshness by the crisp aftertaste."
- Item #: i_353381Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Extremely deep and ripe on the nose with dried-berry, chocolate and plum aromas that follow through to a full body, round and soft tannins and a flavorful finish. A rich and soft-tannin structure to the wine. Try after 2024."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Partnered with Château Giscours as far as the winemaking team is concerned, this estate has created its own style. This wine shows a hint of initial austerity before opening out with rich fruits and structure. It needs time and the wine will not be ready to drink before 2025."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Fresh damson plum, bitter cherry and savory notes are seamlessly layered together, with fresh tobacco and a flash of iron checking in on the pure, silky, persistent finish, where the slightly high-pitched fruit plays out nicely. Best from 2021 through 2032."
- Item #: i_353383Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "The nose is redolent with ripe plums and dark cherries, as well as abundant red and purple flowers and a faint, blonde-tobacco edge. The palate delivers an ultra-rich and flavorful palate with polished, sinewy tannins that will carry this wine for some time to come. Freshness and balance, finishing taut and youthful. Full of promise, this is one of the finest recent releases from here."
- Item #: i_353084Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - " There’s a very rich and powerful core of red-plum and mulberry aromas and flavors here, delivering an assertive and very shimmery, polished palate. Great tannin texture. Long and regal. Every bit as good as the 2015, but more lively in 2016. Try from 2023."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_351551Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+ROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS: "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Fonplegade opens with a very savory nose of smoked meats, tapenade, sautéed herbs and beef drippings over a core of plum preserves, chocolate-covered cherries and cedar chest plus wafts of violets and cigars. Medium to full-bodied, the palate possesses both intensity and elegance, with the black fruit layers superbly framed by firm, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and mineral laced."
- Item #: i_352421Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 96Decanter: 94 PointsWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS: "This has attractive, glossy, ripe red-plum and licorice aromas with cedar, flowers and red berries, as well as a stony edge. A very fragrant, cabernet-driven nose. The palate has elegance and grace with sleek and charming, balanced style and a discreet tannin structure that holds the finish long and fresh. A blend of 81 per cent cabernet sauvignon and 19 per cent merlot. Try from 2023."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS: "This nearly 200-acre estate lies in the south of the Margaux appellation. The wine is another great success in a series of superb years. It is rich but the structure and finely textured fruit give it style and longevity. Drink the wine from 2026." Cellar Selection
DECANTER 94 POINTS: "Concentrated autumnal fruit offers a hawthorny bramble of blackberry and bilberry. Big-framed, muscular tannins are joined by plenty of acidity - it's very clearly built to last and confident in its ability to reward those with patience. Matured in 50% new oak. Axel Marchal and Valerie Lavigne consult."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Giscours gives up aromas of cassis, chocolate, earth, tar, pepper and hoisin with touches of flowers and a meaty nuance. The palate is medium to full-bodied, firm and grainy with a great core and a long finish."
- Item #: i_345892Bottle Size: 750MLThe estate is situated on the same plateau as Saint Emilion and Pomerol and sits on the second highest point in the Gironde at 110 meters above sea level (approximately 350 feet). The vineyards are planted to a number of red varieties, including Merlot (85%), Cabernet Sauvignon (6%), Cabernet Franc (7%) along with a touch of Malbec and Carmenère. The exclusive white variety is Semillon. The soil type varies but is principally a mix of clay, silex and limestone, with very high acidity levels. The average age of the vines is 50 years and no synthetic treatments have ever been used at the estate, which is certified biodynamic. Harvest is manual, the grapes are entirely destemmed and the cuvaison is long, continuing for two to four weeks. Only indigenous yeast is utilized, no chapitalisation is done nor is SO2 used during the fermentation. The “elevage” of the Le Puy wines is done according to the lunar rhythm. The two essential red cuvées of the estate, “Emilien” and “Barthelemy” are raised in barrel for 24 months. The wines are neither fined nor filtered before bottling. Jean-Pierre Amoreau and his son, Pascal, oversee the vineyards and vinification.
- Item #: i_333306Bottle Size: 750MLSaint-Georges-Saint-Emilion is one of the smallest appellations in Bordeaux - less than 20 estates - and one of the oldest wine areas in France. As a result these wines are pretty confidential! Boasting an intense nose with blackcurrant, raspberry and cinnamon notes, this is a supple and concentrated wine with ripe, silky tanins. A top pick for this kind of price!
- Item #: i_346014Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Wine Spectator: 95Vinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 97Decanter: 94 PointsWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "Possibly the finest vintage of this cuvée to date, the 2016 Château Pavie Macquin comes from a cooler, later terroir on the upper plateau and checks in as 82% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon aged in 50% new oak. This deep, inky-colored effort boasts a rock star bouquet of blackcurrants, black cherries, white truffle, graphite, and spice. Deep, rich, and powerful on the palate, yet also balanced, elegant, and seamless, with ultra-fine tannins, this seamless beauty needs a decade of cellaring and will keep for 4-5 decades."
ROBERTPARKER.COM 96 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Pavie Macquin charges out of the glass with gregarious black cherries, warm blackberries and wild blueberries scents followed up by loads of red roses, baking spices, cedar chest and unsmoked cigars sparks plus a waft of wild thyme. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is an exercise in poise, revealing layer upon layer of cherries and berries flavors and tons of savory nuances, framed by firm yet exquisitely ripe tannins, finishing very long."
VINOUSMEDIA 98 POINTS: "The 2016 Pavie Macquin is a total stunner. Rich, lush and inviting, the 2016 is a drop-dead gorgeous beauty. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal, lavender and mint are all given an extra kick of allure by silky tannins that caress the palate from start to finish. There is a level of precision and nuance here that is simply breathtaking. The purity of the fruit is just mind-boggling."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Engaging, with a gush of warm raspberry, plum and boysenberry compote flavors leading the way, while red licorice, apple wood and sweet tobacco notes strut through the finish. Nice intensity overall gives this a mouthwatering echo and pulls you back for more."
- Item #: i_353350Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Focused fruit, such as raspberries and blackberries with chalk and flowers. Full body, firm and chewy tannins and a long and defined finish. Quite muscular."
VINOUS 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Puy-Blanquet is a gorgeous, classically built Saint-Émilion that emphasizes freshness and purity. Deceptively medium in body, the 2016 is supple, deep and incredibly inviting. Sweet tobacco, cedar, leather and licorice add lovely aromatic top notes. Pliant and inviting, this incredibly delicious yet understated Saint-Émilion will be hard to resist in its youth. It is also one of the undisputed Sleeper gems of the vintage. Don't miss it."
- Item #: i_353316Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is so good! I want to drink it now. Iodine, mushrooms, dark fruit and orange peel on the nose and palate. Full-bodied, yet polished and fresh. Lovely tension A blend of 80 per cent merlot, 15 per cent cabernet franc and five per cent malbec."
- Item #: i_344007Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94James Suckling: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS: "From the considerable talents of the Léoville Las Cases team, the 2016 Clos du Marquis is made from 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot, and the rest Cabernet Franc that was raised in 60% new French oak. This full-bodied, concentrated, incredibly elegant Saint Julien has the purity and balance that’s the hallmark of the vintage as well as loads of underlying structure and depth. Great notes of ripe black cherries, blackcurrants, spring flowers, and graphite all emerge from this beauty, which is going to be one for the ages. It will need 8-10 years of cellaring and keep for three decades."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS: "This has a very suave, fresh and upbeat feel overall, with freshly baked berry pastry and ripe raspberry, boysenberry and red-plum aromas in abundance. The palate has a superb array of rich, fresh and deeply fruited tannins that roll smoothly into the elegant, focused and perfectly balanced finish. Try from 2023."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "Blended of 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc, the 2016 Clos du Marquis has a very deep garnet-purple color and is a little broody to begin, giving way to notes of crushed blackcurrants and black cherries with touches of warm plums, pencil shavings, earth and new leather with a waft of yeast extract. Medium-bodied with a rock-solid frame of grainy tannins, it has bold fruit matched by freshness, finishing long and mineral laced."
- Item #: i_352270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 83Vinous Media: 93 PointsJames Suckling: 94Decanter: 93 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - " This is a really driven d’Armailhac showing blackcurrants and fruit tea with hints of bark on the nose and palate. Full-bodied, very firm and structured with a long and powerful finish. Direct and linear. Try after 2023."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "A thrilling bottle of wine that readers should snatch up is the 2016 Château d’Armailhac. This deeply colored, medium to full-bodied, powerful Armailhac gives up a lovely perfume of blackberry and plums fruits, violets, graphite, cedar pencil, and earthy, herbal nuances. Classic, ripe, layered, and just a beautiful Pauillac any way you look at it, it has plenty of upfront sex appeal but is going to keep for 20-25 years as well. Bravo! The 2016 is a blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 D'Armailhac opens with gregarious crème de cassis, blackberry pie and mulberries scents with hints of chocolate box, roses and charcoal with a waft of dried sage. Medium-bodied, the palate has a rock-solid frame of firm, grainy tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and earthy."
- Item #: i_344009Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94+James Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS: "The brightness and precision already comes through on the nose with floral, blackcurrant character. Full-bodied and very tight and creamy with polished tannins that last for minutes. Warm and intense. Needs four to five years to show all it has, yet already a beauty."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "The 2016 D'Issan is blended of 64% Cabernet Sauvignon and 36% Merlot, aged in 50% new and 50% one-year-old French oak for 18 months. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it has vibrant black cherries and blackcurrants notes with chocolate mint, beef drippings, black olives and cigar box. Medium-bodied with a well-sustained, intensely flavored mid-palate, it has a rock-solid, grainy frame and long savory finish. 10,500 cases produced."
- Item #: i_344010Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 93-96ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot picked between 4-21 October at 45 hectoliters per hectare, and matured in 35% new oak. Oh yes! This is a perfumed bouquet that unfolds beautifully in the glass with blackberry, cedar, smoke and a light marine influence, not unlike Japanese nori. The palate is medium-bodied with such fine tannins that it bought to mind Burgundy rather than Bordeaux. There is a grainy texture here, quite saline in the mouth with an entrancing sense of symmetry, very classic but not austere on the finish, with a long and saline aftertaste. This is an outstanding Domaine de Chevalier from the busiest man in Bordeaux, Oliver Bernard. Tasted twice with consistent notes."
WINE SPECTATOR 93-96 POINTS: "Intense raspberry and boysenberry fruit drives along, flecked with anise hints and scored with roasted apple wood details. A touch toothy on the finish, with a loamy note, but the fruit takes an encore, which is a great sign for the future." –JM
VINOUSMEDIA 93-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier is a wine of total precision and class. Today, the flavors are remarkably primary, while the tannins, unusually, are totally buried by the fruit. It will be many years before the 2016 is ready to show all of its cards, but it is a brilliant wine in the making. Dark red cherry, blood orange, mint, white pepper and rose petal infuse the strikingly delineated, vibrant finish." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_344013Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS: "A blend of 74% Merlot, 18% Cabernet Franc, and the balance Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2016 Château Fleur Cardinale spent 14 months in new French oak. Deep ruby/purple-colored, with a stunning nose of smoked black fruits, classy oak, violets, and camphor, this beauty hits the palate with full-bodied richness, beautiful purity, ripe, present, polished tannins, and a great finish. It's a beautiful wine from this tip-top estate that has the class to keep for two decades or more.
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "Quite earthy and savory on the nose, the fruit only emerging slowly. However, on the palate, this has a very attractive fleshy quality and a moderately dry, long finish of some real sophistication. Easy to drink now, but will hold. A blend of 74 per cent merlot, 18 per cent cabernet franc and eight per cent cabernet sauvignon."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "The 2016 Fleur Cardinale is medium to deep garnet-purple colored and bursts from the glass with crushed blackberries, mulberries and chocolate-covered cherries with hints of spice cake, dried herbs and fragrant soil. The palate is medium to full-bodied and wonderfully elegant with soft, rounded tannins and a great backbone of freshness, finishing perfumed."
- Item #: i_344014Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 95Decanter: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS: "This sophisticated Pomerol slowly creeps up on you, then suddenly you’re in the deep end. The complex and delicate, floral and mangosteen aromas are married to a great tannin structure and nothing about this wine is a jot exaggerated. Long, mineral and spice finish with a weightless quality. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS: "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Gazin features a beautifully perfumed nose of violets, Ceylon tea, cigar box, sandalwood and fallen leaves over a core of plum preserves, kirsch and blackberry preserves plus a waft of aniseed. Medium-bodied and elegant, with compelling restraint, it has a seductively plush texture, finishing with bags of poise, perfume and persistence."
DECANTER 94 POINTS: "A rich and elegant Gazin, cohesive yet still extremely young. You can taste the Cabernets coming through strongly, an elegant, stately expression of cassis with a silky texture and nice balance. The palate is intense and concentrated but with a real sense of lift. It's always a wine that takes its time to show its colours as it's a touch austere in its first five to eight years, but this is going to age beautifully."
- Item #: i_344051Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94 PointsDecanter: 94 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsVINOUSMEDIA 96 POINTS: "The 2016 Gloria is one of the undisputed stars of this vintage. Rich, deep and explosive, the 2016 possesses tremendous intensity in all of its dimensions. Sweet red cherry, tobacco, menthol, licorice and dried rose petal all add complexity. In 2016 Gloria is a real head-turner. It should be a fabulous value as well. There is not much else to say."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "The 2016 Gloria is comprised of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot aged 14 months in 42% new and 58% one-year-old French oak. Deep garnet-purple in color, it sings of plum preserves, warm cassis and dark chocolate with touches of tobacco, bay leaves and lavender with a waft of dusty soil. The palate is medium-bodied, elegant and savory in the mouth with loads layers and a lifted finish."
- Item #: i_344018Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96James Suckling: 95Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Labegorce is a blend of 38% Cabernet Sauvignon, 52% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot picked between 4-21 October and matured in 45% new oak. What I like about the bouquet is that it is quintessential Margaux--it could not come from anywhere else. Crushed violets infuse black cherries, blueberry and iodine. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, very well-judged acidity, an elegant and very charming Margaux with pencil lead and a touch of spice on the long finish. What a brilliant wine from a Margaux estate that has really upped its game."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS: "A very elegant and polished Margaux with great structure and an attractive touch of herbal freshness, then a delicate touch of sweetness at the long, fine finish"
VINOUSMEDIA 94 POINTS: "The 2016 Labégorce comes from a property that has really been getting its act together in recent years. It has a gorgeous, very pure blackberry, raspberry and pressed violet bouquet, almost understated, but there is real focus here. The palate is medium-bodied with grippy tannin and quite Pauillac-like in style, and there is impressive density on the finish. Wonderful. Look out for this"
- Item #: i_344022Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUSMEDIA 98 POINTS: "One of the unquestioned Sleeper jewels of the year, the 2016 Le Prieuré is off the charts beautiful. Silky and impossibly refined, the 2016 is a wine of pure and total precision. Today, the 2016 is a bit more restrained than it was from barrel, when it was a more overt wine. That is not a bad thing, though, as I suspect the 2016 is going to need a number of years to be at its finest. Dark, beautifully perfumed and gracious, Le Prieuré represents the height of finesse in Saint-Émilion. Jean-Claude Berrouet consults for the Artemis Group, which is now the sole owner of Le Prieuré. The 2016 is a fabulous wine by any measure. Don't miss it."
ROBERTPARKER.COM 89-91 POINTS: "The 2016 Le Prieure has an attractive, quite floral bouquet with plenty of blackberry and blueberry fruit, the oak nicely integrated. The palate is medium-bodied with supple ripe tannin, plenty of blackberry and bilberry fruit intermingling with tobacco and spice towards the finish. This is a fine Le Prieuré from Paul Goldschmidt (see also Le Siaurac and Vray Croix de Gay) but let's see if it surpasses the excellent 2015."