- Item #: i_333925Bottle Size: 750MLCERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC
This cuvée is planted in the decomposed granite terroir of Ajaccio in southwestern Corsica and is named for vigneron Jean-Charles Abbatucci’s daughter. He left the appellation of Ajaccio a number of years ago, because they refused to evolve their laws to accommodate the ancient grape varieties he had planted that were native to Corsica and pre-date the appellation system itself! In the 2017 vintage his Sciaccarello vines produced less, and there is a touch of Carcajolo Nero in the blend, along with Nielluccio (his father’s spelling for these grapes!). This medium-bodied red is a stunner with intense aromas of the local myrte that grows wild on this part of the island, great freshness, energy, and crunch, and the type of versatility that can accompany fish or meat and everything in between.
- Item #: i_352133Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Natural fermentation, low doses of sulfur, cement cuve, no wood; long fermentations, then wines are aged for 6 to 8 months on fine lees.
Antoine set out on a solo mission that consisted of a return to natural farming and winemaking, and getting Patrimonio drunk by those who care, away from the tourists and off the island. Mission accomplished, to put it mildly. After all these years, Arena is the reference point of wine merchants the world over for great Corsican wine. It has done more for Corsica and Patrimonio than anyone could have dreamed of. So what makes Carco so special? The path to greatness is wrought with trials and tribulations. In the early days, Antoine’s rouges were inconsistent—at times great, at other times hot and funky, as he experimented with various ways to battle the island’s excessive heat. The Carco blanc, though, was perfection from the start: timeless Vermentinu imbued with salt, sun, and rocks year in and year out. Through it all, Carco kept steady and won Corsica its proverbial seat at the table. Chris Santini, Kermit Lynch wine merchant
- Item #: i_345567Bottle Size: 750MLYou will find the same grape varieties as in the red wine with "Vieux Muscats Noirs" added. It is made partly by red tank bleeding and by direct pressing. Some lots complete their fermentation in oak barrels where they will age before being assembled. Its fruitiness with an expressive and elegant flavour will continue in a long and generous final tasting. A wine for gastronomy.
- Item #: i_345566Bottle Size: 750MLChâteau Crémade could be the quintessential Provençal estate. Beautifully nestled between the capital of Provence, Aix-en-Provence, and the formidable limestone mountain, Sainte-Victoire, this estate feels like a walk back in time. The vineyards feel more like a large garden that happens to grow 22 acres of vines with more than 25 varieties, most of which have nearly been forgotten. Sophie Moquet, a trained enologist and agronomist, has recently taken the reigns of viticulture and winemaking and the estate has been quietly putting out beautiful wines in the shadow of the region’s most famous and extraordinary estate, Château Simone. We always love to watch the renaissance of an old estate and we are certain that one is brewing at the Château Crémade.
Beautiful Rose, very elegant and aromatic with lots of minerality and fruit.
- Item #: i_345529Bottle Size: 750ML“Esprit Gassier” is the “Gassier Spirit” that combines the exceptional terroir of the Sainte-Victoire region with Côtes de Provence varietals to produce a wine that expresses the family’s passion, expertise and creativity. The beautiful label, designed by a local artist, is silk-screened on the bottle to create a striking package.
A very clear rosé with shades of peach; floral nose with white and yellow fruit notes (peach, apricot, pear); in the mouth, round and delicate with notes of white peach, mandarin and grapefruit.
- Item #: i_351650Bottle Size: 750mlCostières de Nîmes has more in common with the Rhône across the river than it does with the wines of Languedoc immediately neighbouring it. Château Guiot lies just outside the city of Nîmes, in the heart of this appellation. Deep purple hue, a beautifully scented nose with herby aromas, lashings of juicy forest fruits and spicy, rich berry flavours on the palate and a good, smooth finish. Equally good with anything from shepherd’s pie, meatballs or moussaka style vegetarian dishes.
- Item #: i_353056Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "There are just 500 cases of the powerful 2017 Pic Saint Loup Chateau Lavabre. A blend of 70% Syrah and 30% Grenache, it offers up scents of crushed stone, black cherries and blueberries. Full-bodied, rich and concentrated, this inky beast finishes with hints of chocolate and licorice."
- Item #: i_306007Bottle Size: 750ML"This is the elite cuvee of the estate relying as it does on grapes harvested from the oldest vines of the domaine (35 years and older). Principally composed of Cinsault, Grenache and Syrah, the "Chateau" bottling also sees the addition, from time-to-time of Tibouren, the ancient and regal Provencale grape. This Rose is produced via the "direct press" method and has a long cuvaison designed to produce a wine of character and concentration. Vinified in stainless steel and bottled in late winter - early spring, production is quite limited." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_345005Bottle Size: 750ML"The Château Simone Rosé is a wine that belies the notion that rosés are simple wines to be drunk up young. We have indulged ourselves with 10-year old Château Simone Rosé and have marveled at the tenacity, vibrancy and complexity of this very serious wine. The blend is identical to the rouge: 45% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre, 5% Cinsault, 20% Syrah, Castet, Manosquin, Carignan, Muscat Noir & Blanc. Aged in barrel, it is powerful and age-worthy with a steely character and a grey-tinted aura to the faded rose-petal robe. We import, on average, 1500 bottles per annum for the US market." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_345482Bottle Size: 750MLWith cellars dating from the 16th century near the village of Castellet, Chateau Vannieres is one of the great domaines in Provence. It consists of 47 hectares, 33 of which are planted to vines, with clay-limestone soil and an average age of 35 years. Agriculture is sustainable.
- Item #: i_345481Bottle Size: 750MLSmoldering charcoal and bay leaf notes start this off, followed by a core of melted black licorice, steeped black currant, pastis and baked plum flavors, all carried by a well-integrated roasted alder note. Shows terrific range and character, marrying old-school elements to a polished feel.
95% Mourvedre 5% Grenache 35 year old vines on clay/limestone soil Hand harvested Fermented in epoxy-lined cement tanks Elevage in foudre and barrique for 20-24 months Dense black purple color Aromas of black fruits, cassis, pepper and spice Layers of juicy black fruit and fine tannins on the palate truffles, spice, great length ages exceptionally well and will develop sweet, spicy tobacco and old leather character
- Item #: i_333501Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Dave Phinney's D66 Cotes Catalanes adds more depth and concentration and includes some Syrah and Carignan in the Grenache dominant blend. This takes it up a notch and is a very crowd-pleasing wine.
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "A blend of 80% Grenache, 15% Syrah and a splash of Carignan, the 2014 Cotes Catalanes Grenache D66 IGP spent ten months in roughly 30% new barrels. This inky colored, downright sexy 2014 offers terrific notes of blueberries, blackberries, violets and chalky minerality. Big, concentrated and textured, yet still playing in the more elegant style of the 2014 vintage, this beauty will drink well for a decade."
- Item #: i_352928Bottle Size: 750mlFrom a 3 hectare vineyard in the shape of natural amphitheatre at the foot of the Pyrenees in Jurançon. Dagueneau’s makes a limited number of bottles of dry wine from these beloved Jurancon hectares. The aim is to produce a wine that brings out the natural minerality of the soil and have balance, harmony and longevity. Concentrated, racy and extremely memorable.
- Item #: i_333947Bottle Size: 750MLMade mainly of Cabernet Sauvignon, this classic red also brings forth most of the red varietals of the world that M. Guibert de la Vassière has spent the better part of the past 25 years collecting in his unique vineyards. Because of the dominant role played by this Bordeaux grape varietal, it follows that the structure and aromatics of the wine lean in that direction. However, the other grape varietals combined with the Mediterranean climate and unique terroir bring something unique to this wine. The vineyards, surrounded by the garrigue of the Languedoc pick up the aromatics during flowering, which in turn gives the wine flavors that are unique to this area. Dark, intense color with some notes of chocolate, iron, dark berry and wild herbs lead into a wine with firm, ripe tannins and good tension. In its youth, the fruit dominates, easily coating the structure, but with time, it will turn into a classy, claret styled wine that can hang with the best.
- Item #: i_344228Bottle Size: 750ML"From the prettiest village on the Mediterranean comes one of the finest of our roses. The Cassis Rose gives expression to the intense minerality that comes from the white stone cliffs that provide background to these vineyards; but there is also a gracious and silky texture that makes this most satisfying and the perfect accompaniment to grilled fish freshly caught. A blend of 40% Cinsault, 35% Grenache and 25% Mourvedre. A brilliant companion to the compelling white from this estate that also demands your attention." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_345881Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93Jean Marc Lafage is unquestionably one of the best value producers in France, if not the world. By now, you are probably well aware of his Syrah/Grenache blend Bastide Miraflors which has been a customer favorite and one of our top wines for the past several years. He is also responsible for the amazingly affordable and delicious Novellum Chardonnay and best-selling Miraflors Rose.
His Cuvee Nicolas Grenache is made in the same easy-drinking, fruit- forward style we love. It boasts expressive aromatics and freshness, making you want to take another sip. The Wine Advocate's Joe Czerwinski rated this wine 91-93 Points, calling it a wine which is "rich, deep and velvety in texture" and "should be a similarly rocking value once it's released."
Jeb Dunnuck writes, "When it comes to quality-to-price ratios, no one does it better than proprietor Jean Marc Lafage. Located just outside of Perpignan, this estate has a wealth of old vines and vineyards to pull from, and the addition of a massive new winery is only going to give them even more control.
While it's easy to write off these value-priced releases as fruit bombs, please taste the wines! They have beautiful purity of fruit, impeccable balance and each release has their own unique character. At this price, this is an absolute no-brainer."
Buy it by the case and drink it over the coming 2-3 years.
WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "It was exciting to see that the 2017 Nicolas, all old-vine Grenache from three terroirs, was showing more red fruit and freshness than the 2016. It's still rich, deep and velvety in texture, but it's livelier and should be a similarly rocking value once it's released."
- Item #: i_350596Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Coming from 100% Chardonnay that was aged on Viognier lees, the 2017 Vin de France Novellum boasts sensational notes of ripe citrus, white flowers, and spice, with loads of classic Catalanes salinity and obvious minerality. Aged in 15% new barrels, it’s medium-bodied, has remarkable purity, integrated acidity, and is a total steal at the price. Drink it over the coming 2-4 years."
- Item #: i_334105Bottle Size: 750MLWe are excited to announce the arrival of our allocation of the great red wines of Domaine Tempier. Regarded as perhaps the most profound and well known example of Mourvedre in the world, Domaine Tempier is the reference point for quality red wine production in Provence.
These wines are a special treat and just another reason why customers come to frequent Hi-Time. Domaine Tempier was "discovered" by renowned importer Kermit Lynch who recognized the wines as being singular wines of intensity and depth. Of course, we are great fans of Kermit Lynch and his name on a wine is a harbinger of great things to be found inside the bottle.
Although Provence is best known for its thirst quenching roses which tourists enjoy on holiday, it is the Mourvedre based blends of Bandol which capture our attention. Bandol is located between Toulon and Marseille in a favored spot inland of the nearby sandy beaches. Situated in a natural amphitheater, the vineyards are blessed with abundant sun and enough sea air to cool the vines during the heat of summer. Here, the late-ripening Mourvedre thrives, achieving ripeness and distinction. Aromatically expressive with dark fruit flavors and terroir-driven complexity, these wines are enticing.
Domaine Tempier produces the Bandol Rouge bottling as well as three single-vineyard wines. La Migoua, La Tourtine, and Cabassaou. All of the wines are full-bodied and seem to inhabit a different level of purity, structure and depth. They also have the ability to evolve over time, gaining complexity with time in the cellar.
- Item #: i_345384Bottle Size: 750MLCôte des Roses celebrates the Mediterranean lifestyle. The Languedoc appellation stretches along the Mediterranean coast from the Spanish border as far as the city of Nîmes, along the foothills of the Montagne Noire and the Cévennes. The soils are highly varied, mainly with hard limestone and schist, but also gravel transported by the rivers of the Languedoc region.
The warm, windy climate (“semi-arid Mediterranean climate with mild winters”) helps the grapes to ripen in good, healthy condition, while retaining all their fresher qualities thanks to the altitude and the influence of the sea which eases the scorching summer heat. The bottle is original with its base in the shape of a rose, created by a young designer from the Ecole Boulle. A wine to be given in the same way you would offer a bunch of roses!
A soft, pale, brilliant pink with bluish tints developing over time towards more orangey nuances. The bouquet releases aromas of summer fruits, cassis and redcurrant. Floral notes of rose along with hints of grapefruit complete the picture. The finish is fresh, offering notes of candy. On the palate the impression is fresh and full, with great aromatic persistence and balance.
- Item #: i_345444Bottle Size: 750ML"It's the most wonderful time of the year..." Of course, we are talking about Dry French Rose season which is just starting; we loved this one so much, we made it our wine of the month. Juliette comes from the Provence region of Southern France, home of the most exquisite and traditional rose wines in the world (and you'll see many more in the next few months!). Produced at the maison of Domaine de La Sangliere, Juliette is a true expression of a traditional Provencal rose wine.
The Style - Juliette is refreshing and elegant, bone dry rose wine, with layers of lively fruit and a bright, smooth finish-just the way a true rose wine from Southern France should be.
Tasting Notes - Elegant and pretty, soft fruits resonate in the nose with layers of mixed melons, plantain, ripe peach and a touch of creme fraiche. The palate is hugely lush yet tempered with acidity. Minerally notes and stone fruits dance with light brown spices and a touch of sea salt/salt air-and the finish echoes with gently receding fruit flavors.
Pairing Notes - Juliette is also an exceptional food wine that pairs with so many different types of cuisines. While Juliette serves an excellent stand alone aperitif wine, Juliette is a perfect pair for grilled fish, seafood, steamed fish, lobster, shellfish, bouillabaisse and other traditional Provencal cuisine.
- Item #: i_333549Bottle Size: 750MLThe Bonfils family, owners of the historic Château de Vaugelas in Corbières and Château Millegrand in Minervois, continue to expand their influence in the Languedoc with their recent commitment to the region's most important white wine. This time, instead of purchasing a domaine, Bonfils Père et Fils built a state-of-the-art winery in the picturesque fishing village of Mèze that is devoted exclusively to the production of Picpoul de Pinet.
Bonfils' hands-on CEO/Director of Winemaking, Xavier-Luc Linglin, believes that in order to ensure consistent balance of ripeness and acidity, it's necessary to source from a broad palette of micro-terroirs. Over the past decade, XL has forged relationships with several conscientious independent growers in Picpoul de Pinet's six communes, and with the chefs de cave at cooperative wineries in Pomérols and Montagnac. Cooperative wineries account for approximately 80% of the appellation's production as most of the area's growers understand the challenge of consistency and choose the safer communal option. Freshness (fraîcheur) and bright acidity are essential in Picpoul's role as the requisite accompaniment to the oysters of the neighboring Thau Basin. L'Etang de Thau is one of the finest sources for shellfish on France's Mediterranean coast and Mèze is the Languedoc's oyster capital.
The nose is a definite "wow!" moment-- simply beautiful with floral and mineral notes, clotted cream, lanolin, lime and mixed citrus and sea spray. The palate is viscous and rich, loaded with stone fruit flavors, peach, white pear, as good acidity keeps it from flabbiness. Pair with fruits de mer this spring and summer, or a cheese plate or simply sunlight and good company.