- Item #: i_352133Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Natural fermentation, low doses of sulfur, cement cuve, no wood; long fermentations, then wines are aged for 6 to 8 months on fine lees.
Antoine set out on a solo mission that consisted of a return to natural farming and winemaking, and getting Patrimonio drunk by those who care, away from the tourists and off the island. Mission accomplished, to put it mildly. After all these years, Arena is the reference point of wine merchants the world over for great Corsican wine. It has done more for Corsica and Patrimonio than anyone could have dreamed of. So what makes Carco so special? The path to greatness is wrought with trials and tribulations. In the early days, Antoine’s rouges were inconsistent—at times great, at other times hot and funky, as he experimented with various ways to battle the island’s excessive heat. The Carco blanc, though, was perfection from the start: timeless Vermentinu imbued with salt, sun, and rocks year in and year out. Through it all, Carco kept steady and won Corsica its proverbial seat at the table. Chris Santini, Kermit Lynch wine merchant
- Item #: i_345529Bottle Size: 750ML“Esprit Gassier” is the “Gassier Spirit” that combines the exceptional terroir of the Sainte-Victoire region with Côtes de Provence varietals to produce a wine that expresses the family’s passion, expertise and creativity. The beautiful label, designed by a local artist, is silk-screened on the bottle to create a striking package.
A very clear rosé with shades of peach; floral nose with white and yellow fruit notes (peach, apricot, pear); in the mouth, round and delicate with notes of white peach, mandarin and grapefruit.
- Item #: i_352773Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL WINE
From 1992, Thierry and Isabelle Daulhiac have had the run of the nineteenth century manor house and the surrounding fifteen hillside hectares of vineyards, since it was handed down to them from the previous two generations. They are nestled between two oft-foggy appellations of Montbazillac and Sainte-Foy, in the town of Razac de Saussignac, with vines facing the Dordogne, about two kilometers to the north. When they took over in 1992, traditional farming methods were common, but the duo have slowly converted to organic (near biodynamic) practices in the vineyards.
This ripe wine from a very fine vintage in Bergerac, is fully structured while also having a fine black-currant fruitiness. Half-and-half Merlot and Cabernet Franc, it has a perfumed edge along with rich juicy acidity and fruits.
- Item #: i_345474Bottle Size: 750MLChateau de Pampelonne produces an excellent red wine and a modest amount of white wine, but it is the Cotes de Provence Rose for which the estate is best known. In addition to the classic rose cepages of Grenache, Cinsault and Syrah, Pampelonne also uses Tibouren in the blend. This ancient Greek variety, now unique to this area of France, is valued for the aromatic intensity it lends to some of Provence's finest roses.
- Item #: i_306007Bottle Size: 750ML"This is the elite cuvee of the estate relying as it does on grapes harvested from the oldest vines of the domaine (35 years and older). Principally composed of Cinsault, Grenache and Syrah, the "Chateau" bottling also sees the addition, from time-to-time of Tibouren, the ancient and regal Provencale grape. This Rose is produced via the "direct press" method and has a long cuvaison designed to produce a wine of character and concentration. Vinified in stainless steel and bottled in late winter - early spring, production is quite limited." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_345015Bottle Size: 750ML45% Cinsault 35% Grenache 20% Syrah
The Chateau Routas displays bright, salmon color in the glass accompanied by freshly cut watermelon, ripe peach aromas and floral notes lead to a palate alive with wild strawberries and hints of mineral notes. Crisp acidity and a refreshing finish.
- Item #: i_345482Bottle Size: 750MLWith cellars dating from the 16th century near the village of Castellet, Chateau Vannieres is one of the great domaines in Provence. It consists of 47 hectares, 33 of which are planted to vines, with clay-limestone soil and an average age of 35 years. Agriculture is sustainable.
- Item #: i_333702Bottle Size: 750MLBandol is one of the oldest wine growing region in France. The first vine was planted by the Romans 2,500 years ago. Chateau Vaniiéres is recognized among the most prestigious domaines of Bandol. Exotique aromas with orange zest, rose petals, coconut, cantaloupe melon and minerals. Decisive attack brining notes of toasted almonds, spices and finishing with integrated acidity and minerality. A very complex rose. The long, minerally finish ripples pleasantly. It will perfectly escort grilled fish, Provençal specialities, seafood and lobster dishes. (40% Mourvèdre per 30% Grenache 30% Cinsault)
Exotique aromas with orange zest, rose petals, coconut, cantaloupe melon and minerals. Decisive attack brining notes of toasted almonds, spices and finishing with integrated acidity and minerality. A very complex rose.
- Item #: i_353644Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Combel La Serre has been ECOCERT-certified organic since 2013, though farmed without chemicals for several decades up to that point--the family long suspected that the death of Julien’s grandfather from severe Parkinson’s disease was directly tied to a lifetime of exposure to the conventional chemicals so commonly by French farmers in the mid-20th century--so they set about eliminating them long ago. The vines range in age from 20-90 years old, are worked entirely by hand and harvested manually. As with Combel’s winegrowing, their winemaking choices are atypical of Cahors: their wines are fermented with indigenous yeasts, made with only moderate extraction, touched barely by sulfur and raised mainly in cement tanks and used barrels.
100% Malbec (aka Auxerrois in local parlance). The fruit for Pur comes from seven different Combel sites totalling 8.5 hectares on the limestone plateau known as the causse. The vines are certified-organic, average 35 years old and are kept to a modest yield. The grapes are hand-harvested and pressed with 10- 20% whole clusters; the juice ferments at cool temperatures with indigenous yeasts in cement tanks with a 10-to-12-day maceration. The wine is aged in cement through the winter and bottled in the spring. Pur Fruit is Combel's "entry-level" red, made in a fruit-forward, more approachable style than most Cahors adn accounting for about half of the estate's production.
- Item #: i_333501Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER 95 POINTS - "Rocking stuff, the 2015 Côtes Catalanes Grenache D66 (80% Grenache and 20% Grenache Blanc) from Richard Floyd boasts a deep, saturated color as well as hedonistic notes of black currants, chocolate, massive crushed rock-like minerality and baking spices. Rich, full-bodied, unctuous and concentrated, yet with considerable purity and freshness, it's a big blockbuster beauty to drink over the coming decade."
- Item #: i_344228Bottle Size: 750ML"From the prettiest village on the Mediterranean comes one of the finest of our roses. The Cassis Rose gives expression to the intense minerality that comes from the white stone cliffs that provide background to these vineyards; but there is also a gracious and silky texture that makes this most satisfying and the perfect accompaniment to grilled fish freshly caught. A blend of 40% Cinsault, 35% Grenache and 25% Mourvedre. A brilliant companion to the compelling white from this estate that also demands your attention." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_344226Bottle Size: 500MLWine Spectator: 90The ancient art of Banyuls is disappearing at a frightening pace. One of its great champions and longest-standing practitioners is the wonderful, charismatic Vincent Cantié. He is the spirit of Catalan culture personified, and he makes the best Banyuls money can buy. Made from ripe Grenache picked from steep, stony hillsides above the Mediterranean on the Spanish border, Banyuls is muted with neutral alcohol to stop fermentation and preserve some residual sugar to produce a glorious after-dinner drink. Its best friend is probably a walnut tart or a flourless chocolate cake. Thomas Jefferson loved Banyuls and so can you.
- Item #: i_350596Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91We just received more of the 2018 Lafage Novellum after its instant sellout a few weeks ago. Now would be a great time to grab some while we have it!
The newest vintage of our best-selling French Chardonnay has just been released. The 2018 Lafage Novellum is firing on all cylinders and continues a string of successful vintages. This has been a huge hit with our customers who crave its delicious taste at a price that's hard to beat.
Critics have continually sung the praises of this custom cuvee from well-known importer Eric Solomon. Robert Parker has written, "I've raved time and time again about the quality -and value - coming from Domaine Lafage's Jean-Marc Lafage." Jeb Dunnuck gave this wine 91 Points and described it as "a rounded, textured, layered beauty that's well worth the going rate." We completely agree!
The beauty of Novellum is it combines the perfectly-ripened fruit and richness you might find in a high-quality California Chardonnay with the brightness and minerality you expect in Burgundy. This combination makes it the perfect crossover wine which appeals to those who enjoy either California or French Chardonnay.
Domaine Lafage is on amazing roll where everything they touch seems to turn to gold; they are producing absolutely gorgeous wines. Lafage first came upon our radar with Bastide Miraflors, Narassa and Tessellae which have been huge hits. We emailed out the previous vintage of Novellum Chardonnay and our customers went nuts for it. We really enjoy this wine and feel it is an amazing value.
This is an excellent "Everyday Drinker" that you can open up during the week to enjoy with dinner or simply unwind with a glass on its own. Domaine Lafage's Novellum is a delicious wine, which would make a terrific case purchase.
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Made from all Chardonnay aged on Viognier lees, the 2018 Chardonnay Novellum reveals a medium gold color as well a rich, textured style. Honeysuckle, white peach, brioche, and spice notes all flow to a rounded, textured, layered beauty that's well worth the going rate. Brought up mostly in stainless steel, with 15% in new French oak, this wine always seems to deliver the goods, and the 2018 is no exception."
- Item #: i_345384Bottle Size: 750MLCôte des Roses celebrates the Mediterranean lifestyle. The Languedoc appellation stretches along the Mediterranean coast from the Spanish border as far as the city of Nîmes, along the foothills of the Montagne Noire and the Cévennes. The soils are highly varied, mainly with hard limestone and schist, but also gravel transported by the rivers of the Languedoc region.
The warm, windy climate (“semi-arid Mediterranean climate with mild winters”) helps the grapes to ripen in good, healthy condition, while retaining all their fresher qualities thanks to the altitude and the influence of the sea which eases the scorching summer heat. The bottle is original with its base in the shape of a rose, created by a young designer from the Ecole Boulle. A wine to be given in the same way you would offer a bunch of roses!
A soft, pale, brilliant pink with bluish tints developing over time towards more orangey nuances. The bouquet releases aromas of summer fruits, cassis and redcurrant. Floral notes of rose along with hints of grapefruit complete the picture. The finish is fresh, offering notes of candy. On the palate the impression is fresh and full, with great aromatic persistence and balance.
- Item #: i_345444Bottle Size: 750ML"It's the most wonderful time of the year..." Of course, we are talking about Dry French Rose season which is just starting; we loved this one so much, we made it our wine of the month. Juliette comes from the Provence region of Southern France, home of the most exquisite and traditional rose wines in the world (and you'll see many more in the next few months!). Produced at the maison of Domaine de La Sangliere, Juliette is a true expression of a traditional Provencal rose wine.
The Style - Juliette is refreshing and elegant, bone dry rose wine, with layers of lively fruit and a bright, smooth finish-just the way a true rose wine from Southern France should be.
Tasting Notes - Elegant and pretty, soft fruits resonate in the nose with layers of mixed melons, plantain, ripe peach and a touch of creme fraiche. The palate is hugely lush yet tempered with acidity. Minerally notes and stone fruits dance with light brown spices and a touch of sea salt/salt air-and the finish echoes with gently receding fruit flavors.
Pairing Notes - Juliette is also an exceptional food wine that pairs with so many different types of cuisines. While Juliette serves an excellent stand alone aperitif wine, Juliette is a perfect pair for grilled fish, seafood, steamed fish, lobster, shellfish, bouillabaisse and other traditional Provencal cuisine.
- Item #: i_350569Bottle Size: 750mlBright yellow in colour with vibrant citrus, pear and spice notes on the nose. The palate is full but extremely well balanced, with fresh Picpoul acidity and pure fruit flavours. The finish is long and mouthwatering, with complexity of stone fruit, spice and minerality.
- Item #: i_333549Bottle Size: 750MLThe Bonfils family, owners of the historic Château de Vaugelas in Corbières and Château Millegrand in Minervois, continue to expand their influence in the Languedoc with their recent commitment to the region's most important white wine. This time, instead of purchasing a domaine, Bonfils Père et Fils built a state-of-the-art winery in the picturesque fishing village of Mèze that is devoted exclusively to the production of Picpoul de Pinet.
Bonfils' hands-on CEO/Director of Winemaking, Xavier-Luc Linglin, believes that in order to ensure consistent balance of ripeness and acidity, it's necessary to source from a broad palette of micro-terroirs. Over the past decade, XL has forged relationships with several conscientious independent growers in Picpoul de Pinet's six communes, and with the chefs de cave at cooperative wineries in Pomérols and Montagnac. Cooperative wineries account for approximately 80% of the appellation's production as most of the area's growers understand the challenge of consistency and choose the safer communal option. Freshness (fraîcheur) and bright acidity are essential in Picpoul's role as the requisite accompaniment to the oysters of the neighboring Thau Basin. L'Etang de Thau is one of the finest sources for shellfish on France's Mediterranean coast and Mèze is the Languedoc's oyster capital.
The nose is a definite "wow!" moment-- simply beautiful with floral and mineral notes, clotted cream, lanolin, lime and mixed citrus and sea spray. The palate is viscous and rich, loaded with stone fruit flavors, peach, white pear, as good acidity keeps it from flabbiness. Pair with fruits de mer this spring and summer, or a cheese plate or simply sunlight and good company.
- Item #: i_350734Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "A blend of 74% Syrah and 26% Grenache that was brought in a mix of tank and used barrels, the 2017 Bastide Miraflors has a fabulous minerality as well as terrific kirsch, black raspberry, wild fennel, white pepper, and hints of black licorice aromas and flavors. Pure, medium to full-bodied, silky, and seamless on the palate, it's perfectly balanced, and way over-delivers. Drink it over the coming 2-3 years."
- Item #: i_333477Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Grenache, Syrah, and assorted Bordeaux varietals
WINEMAKER NOTES - Opaque with ruby accents, the wine is intensely perfumed with aromas of vivid wild berry, warm spice, plum, kirsch, lavender and subtle oak nuances. The entry is juicy and penetrating with rich flavors of ripe blackberry, racy currant and blueberry that generously coat the palate. Easy drinking, the finish is long and clean with just the right amount of polished tannins to keep the fruit in focus.
- Item #: i_322196Bottle Size: 750MLIn the late 1990s, René Rostaing, a great Northern Rhone wine maker, purchased a property in the Côteaux du Languedoc near Nîmes. Located in a relatively cool microclimate with limestone soils, grows Syrah with small amounts of Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Rolle. The terroir yields a slight garrique character. It may be the best example yet of the Rostaing's ethic: elegant, yet concentrated; expressive, but subtle; hedonistic, but cerebral.
- Item #: i_345500Bottle Size: 750ML50% Syrah, 40% Cinsault, 10% Carignan + Grenache
Pebbled top soil, with a high percentage of clay and limestone, rich in manganese. Exceptional “terroir” due to the nature of its soils and its exposure (terraced vineyard at 200m in altitude, facing south and sheltered from northwinds).
Fruity on the nose and mouth (strawberry) and liquorice, very gently and finesse.
- Item #: i_321133Bottle Size: 750MLThis was one of the easiest decisions we made all year! Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! We know the Tariquet is sure to please with its abundant fruit and snappy, crisp textures. Think pure lime and green apple, with hints of guava or kiwi. The Grassa family has owned Domaine du Tariquet in Armanac since 1912, but in 1982 they made the radical decision to bottle most of the grapes on the property as table wine, not a distilled brandy. Tariquet was the first producer in the region to make a commercial wine from the local Colombard & Ugni Blanc grapes and because these grapes oxidize quickly, Tariquet harvests at night directly into temperature controlled fermentation tanks that are rolled into the vineyard. No oxidation is possible, just pure freshness. Just five years later in 1987, winemaker Yves Grassa was named Winemaker of the Year at the largest competitive tasting event in the world, London’s International Wine Challenge.