- Item #: i_353318Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2009, the château’s new owner, le Comte de Colbert, asked Yves Lambert and his son, Arnaud, from Domaine de Saint-Just, to manage the estate. They accepted with a twenty-five year lease and immediately began a hard work of converting these historical vineyards to organic culture after more than fifty years of chemical farming. Today, five after many years of quality farming and the deft touch of Arnaud, the brilliance of the wines known centuries ago is reemerging.
Inside the bottle: As my first white from the hill of Brézé, this wine made quite an impression. Clos du Midi's aromas are discrete expressions of honey, dried exotic fruits, herbal tea and sweet lemon. Although this wine is 100% Chenin Blanc, it bears the freshness of a young Sancerre, the soft richness of Chabis, but with the unmistakable charm of Chenin Blanc. For an experience that combines an immense amount of intellectual stimulation and pleasure, it’s hard to get a more complete white wine than this for the price. It comes from one of the colder sites on hill, and with Arnaud’s soft touch there is a fine balance between tension and generosity.
- Item #: i_351072Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Catherine and Pierre Breton are the real life bon vivants vignerons of lore. They are passionate about what they do, they enjoy sharing it with others, and they entertain with a generosity and charm. That they make great wine with such integrity makes our appreciation of them complete. The Bretons farm eleven hectares of vines just east of Bourgueil in the village of Restigné. They produce Chinon and Bourgueil, as well as a bit of Vouvray, creating honest wines for both early consumption and longer aging. The Bretons first introduced biodynamic practices into their viticulture in 1994, just after receiving their organic certification in 1991. Recently, they started the three-year process of seeking biodynamic certification. In fact, they have become international icons for the natural wine movement in an area where the climate and soil can make organic viticulture difficult. The Wines of Terroir from Chinon and Bourgueil are destined for long life in your cellar. Each of the Breton cuvées is unique, with differences in soil, vinification, and élévage all playing a role while still demonstrating a familial resemblance. Catherine and Pierre are fighting the good fight in a competitive market, adding work to their busy days all in the name of authenticity. This wine is from 40-year-old Cabernet Franc, and it is stupendous.
- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLThe Champalous are masters of Loire Chenin Blanc, producing Vouvray in all styles; this still, dry rendition, aged in stainless steel, represents their flagship cuvee. Gentle and refreshing on the palate, it boasts a delightful balance of stony minerality with luscious, almost honeyed fruit and flowery notes, making for a great aperitif or easy pairing with all sorts of dishes.
- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A bramble- and bay leaf—edged version, with a mix of dark cherry and red currant fruit forming the core. Light singed tobacco and a fresh chalk threads line the finish. Long and refined, showing a lovely tug of earth at the end. Drink now through 2026."
Les Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_353023Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the oldest and most celebrated domaines in Savennières, Chateau d’Épiré is rich in history, not only for its fabulous architectural rendition of the Petit Trianon of Versailles, but most especially for its exquisite wines. This cuvée is dry and accessible with notes of exotic fruits. Delicious and spectacularly complex, and it shows a value disproportionate to their pedigree.
- Item #: i_350029Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2009, the château’s new owner, le Comte de Colbert, asked Yves Lambert and his son, Arnaud, from Domaine de Saint-Just, to manage the estate. They accepted with a twenty-five year lease and immediately began a hard work of converting these historical vineyards to organic culture after more than fifty years of chemical farming. Today, five after many years of quality farming and the deft touch of Arnaud, the brilliance of the wines known centuries ago is reemerging.
Inside the bottle: The wine starts out aromatically expressing the magic that limestone imparts to its local vine community. Pure and striking fruits, like sweet lime, meyer lemon with lemon curd, exotic spice and flint dart out of the glass and into the nose. If you can manage to keep it in the glass for a couple of hours of slow observation and drinking, the wine will take you on a rollercoaster of highs that seem only to climber higher with every passing minute. Acidity? More than you can imagine but somehow it presents itself gently on the finish after a somewhat overwhelming initial attack from the first sip. The wine hasn’t a drop of tropical or rich, ripe fruit notes because this cold site rarely has a chance to develop botrytis, even in ideal years. The topsoil is pure sand with limestone gravel that has been unearthed from the tuffeau limestone that sits on thirty centimeters below the soil. It’s pure sand and limestone soils make it the most unique soil structure on the hill. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a white wine in the world that carries this fair of a price.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_345148Bottle Size: 750MLLauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage.
Loire Cabernet Franc from a historic property which is mentioned for the first time in the year 1063, in records from Saint Florent's Abbatial. Delicious flavors of tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet, and pepper.
- Item #: i_345226Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 92DECANTER 92 POINTS - "The late Anne-Claude Leflaive bought this struggling biodynamic domaine in 2008. From 2ha of old vines, Grolleau – normally used in bland rosés – is taken to another level: bright acidity lifts crunchy pomegranate fruit, with spice and texture from 18 months in old Leflaive barrels."
- Item #: i_300049Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This shows cassis, cedar and black pepper notes, fueled by vibrant acidity and imparting lovely freshness. A very elegant red, with lots of character, this is well-crafted and harmonious. The finish shows a bit of a grip. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2020 through 2026. 500 cases made, 75 cases imported."
- Item #: i_352097Bottle Size: 750mlThere are few winemakers in history as bullish or brazen, roguish or renegade, as the Loire Valley's Didier Dagueneau. High-standards, incredible risk-taking, impeccable attention to detail, zealous allegiance to his terroir, and a willingness to take a stand against convention made this once-professional motorcycle sidecar racer the stuff of legends.
However dare-devilish in both winemaking and in life, Didier's untimely death in a plane crash in 2008 shook the wine community to its core. Fortunately for all who love Didier's wines, his oldest son, Louis-Benjamin, is now steering the domaine with the audacity, passion and talent that many critics and wine-lovers agree equal those of his father.
Famous in the Loire and throughout the world for perfumed Sauvignon blanc, Pouilly-Fume sits due east, across the Loire River from Sancerre. Limestone soils with clay and flint (also called silex) contribute to the wines' freshness and often times smoky, flinty, mineral character.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLBeautiful crystalline dress, pale gold. The olfactory expression opens immediately on a succession of shades that are constantly renewed. First citrus fruits (orange peel and lemon), then summer fruits (white peach and pear) finally honey notes on a subtle background of peppermint... an excellent complexity that translates richness and elegance. The lively and very frank attack precedes the acidulous roundness of the summer fruits expressed by the nose which are mingled with the refreshing flavors of exotic fruits (lychee, mango). Then, in delicate harmony, the fat and smells of fresh almond and pear are revealed. The finish, based on a stony minerality, is prolonged on notes of very ripe lemon. This wine pairs beautifully with shellfish, seafood and goat cheeses.
- Item #: i_345502Bottle Size: 750MLCERTIFIED ORGANIC
• 100% Chenin Blanc
• 50-60 year old vines in Noizay
• Very thin layer of clay sitting over pure limestone
• Indigenous yeasts
• No malo
• Fermented and aged in barrel (20% new, 80% 1-4 year old barrels
- Item #: i_353565Bottle Size: 750mlThierry and Lydie are both very passionate about the job, working together on the Estate and completing each other on every level. She is in charge of the vineyard, making every detail possible all year long so Thierry can have the best conditions to get started in the cellar and master the vinifications. The domaine is ran under sustainable culture. No synthetic chemical treatment is done. The vineyards of Domaine Chancelle have been in the family for 5 generations with Lydie and her husband Thierry taking over the Estate in 2000. It is located in the village of Turquant, in the greater Saumur.
Tasting Notes: Strawberry-scented with flavors of cherry and cranberry that pop on a crisp, refreshing palate. Drink it as an aperitif or with your favorite foods off the grill.
- Item #: i_352067Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Produced from biodynamically grown grapes, this wine is impressively ripe. Richness comes from the intense white fruits and the citrus streak that goes right through. Hints of more tropical flavors lead to a pure, fruity aftertaste."
- Item #: i_352065Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC/ORGANIC Domaine du Nozay Sancerre is a multi-award winning Sancerre from a passionate, winemaking family dedicated solely to the pursuit of making the perfect expression of Sauvignon Blanc. Philippe de Benoist built Domaine du Nozay himself in 1970 and still manages the vineyards today while son Cyril runs the winery. His exuberant, single vineyard Sancerre is hard to beat with its ripe, grassy fruit and complex minerality.
- Item #: i_350075Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This elegant white shows pedigree, featuring wonderful harmony and great complexity, with persimmon and quince flavors, while cardamom, coriander and star anise notes glide along the edges. The acidity gives this power, providing balance, but also incredible energy that runs throughout. Very long and inviting. Best from 2020 through 2038."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "From green clay and pebbly silex soils, the 2018 Vouvray Le Mont Demi-Sec offers a clear, intense but elegant and sublime nose that intermixes ripe fruit and ginger aromas with spicy-flinty notes. Very well articulated and precise on the nose, it is lush and intense on the palate, with a good structure and complex finish. This is a highly promising Vouvray whose combination of 14% alcohol and unfermented sugar asks for a couple of years of cellar aging. The finish is salty, pure, tight and vibrantly fresh. A gorgeous, highly energetic wine."
- Item #: i_350076Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS:-"Round and expressive, with great balance between the sweetness of orchard fruit and bracing acidity reminiscent of clementine. Jasmine and sweet spice notes emerge midpalate, while ground ginger details mark the velvety finish. Drink now through 2034."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS:-"The 2018 Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Demi-Sec is clear, bright and fresh on the chalky/spicy nose. Round and lush on the palate, the 2018 is a dense, refined and charmingly sweet Haut-Lieu with accessible fruit and a stimulatingly salty finish that reveals very fine tannins and lovely sur-lie texture. This is a delicious Chenin from Vouvray but still young."
- Item #: i_351745Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Vouvray Le Mont Moelleux is clear, deep, pure and flinty on the intense but fine and coolish-mineral nose. Very distinctive! Lush and intense but also pure, vital and tensioned on the palate, this elegant and seductive Le Mont offers a straightforward drive and a highly complex and energetic finish with grip and great mineral tension. A gorgeous, crystalline, persistently salty and tightly woven Chenin with great complexity and energy. Very attractive already today!"
- Item #: i_344241Bottle Size: 750MLThe wines of Denis Jamain at the Domaine de Reuilly are getting better and better - his 2018 Rosé of Pinot Gris is from vines in conversion to organic and biodynamic certification, fermented with wild yeasts. The color is a lovely pale onion skin, the aromas are floral and pretty with gooseberry, peach and citrus. Light berry, peach and stone flavors on the palate are framed in firm acidity. With good ripeness, but subtle and balanced, this unique rosé will accompany a wide variety of foods, from fish to grilled meats and Asian foods, and it's lovely to sip by itself! ORGANIC
- Item #: i_351339Bottle Size: 750mlThe Vacherons are without question Sancerre’s leading winemaking clan. From the family’s pioneering work in identifying and exploiting the region’s top terroirs to their leading position in biodynamic viticulture today, there are few if any artisans in Sancerre as exacting or as respected.Natural winemaking at Domaine Vacheron is second nature. Taking care of the soil, and in turn the vine, is of the utmost importance to the family. Vines have been cared for biodynamically since the early 2000s, and the estate is certified in both organic and biodynamic practices. No synthetic materials whatsoever are used in the vineyards; the family makes its own organic compost. Yields are naturally low.A delicate wine, dry and invigorating, with aromas of orange blossoms and flavors of red raspberries. A selection of Pinot Noir grapes from an estate vineyard that boasts the regional classic mix of flint and limestone soils.