- Item #: i_352097Bottle Size: 750mlThere are few winemakers in history as bullish or brazen, roguish or renegade, as the Loire Valley's Didier Dagueneau. High-standards, incredible risk-taking, impeccable attention to detail, zealous allegiance to his terroir, and a willingness to take a stand against convention made this once-professional motorcycle sidecar racer the stuff of legends.
However dare-devilish in both winemaking and in life, Didier's untimely death in a plane crash in 2008 shook the wine community to its core. Fortunately for all who love Didier's wines, his oldest son, Louis-Benjamin, is now steering the domaine with the audacity, passion and talent that many critics and wine-lovers agree equal those of his father.
Famous in the Loire and throughout the world for perfumed Sauvignon blanc, Pouilly-Fume sits due east, across the Loire River from Sancerre. Limestone soils with clay and flint (also called silex) contribute to the wines' freshness and often times smoky, flinty, mineral character.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLBeautiful crystalline dress, pale gold. The olfactory expression opens immediately on a succession of shades that are constantly renewed. First citrus fruits (orange peel and lemon), then summer fruits (white peach and pear) finally honey notes on a subtle background of peppermint... an excellent complexity that translates richness and elegance. The lively and very frank attack precedes the acidulous roundness of the summer fruits expressed by the nose which are mingled with the refreshing flavors of exotic fruits (lychee, mango). Then, in delicate harmony, the fat and smells of fresh almond and pear are revealed. The finish, based on a stony minerality, is prolonged on notes of very ripe lemon. This wine pairs beautifully with shellfish, seafood and goat cheeses.
- Item #: i_352067Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Produced from biodynamically grown grapes, this wine is impressively ripe. Richness comes from the intense white fruits and the citrus streak that goes right through. Hints of more tropical flavors lead to a pure, fruity aftertaste."
- Item #: i_352065Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC/ORGANIC Domaine du Nozay Sancerre is a multi-award winning Sancerre from a passionate, winemaking family dedicated solely to the pursuit of making the perfect expression of Sauvignon Blanc. Philippe de Benoist built Domaine du Nozay himself in 1970 and still manages the vineyards today while son Cyril runs the winery. His exuberant, single vineyard Sancerre is hard to beat with its ripe, grassy fruit and complex minerality.
- Item #: i_315005Bottle Size: 750MLThere is perhaps no better match for a dozen oysters than this minerally Sancerre from one of the best producers in the region. The wine displays textbook Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc, with bright acidity, smoke, citrus, and grassiness. It is Insanely addictive and so so good with shellfish! Hippolyte Reverdy's family has been making wine in the charming village of Verdigny, a commune of Sancerre in the eastern Loire, for many generations- perhaps as far back as 1600.
- Item #: i_353326Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC, NO SULFUR ADDED
Julien Pineau, who now owns 6.5 hectares of the Clos Roche Blanche, is making briliant wines, including this distinctive Sauvignon Blanc. Produced without the addition of SO2, this is a lovely natural wine that benefits from decanting or aeration, then shows aromas of white fruits, melon, lemon zest and lime-flower with bright herbal notes and a lifting hint of oxidation. The palate is intensely flavored with quince, dried herbs, grapefruit rind and minerals backed by very firm acidity. The finish is very long with white fruits, citrus, herbal and mineral flavors.
- Item #: i_353352Bottle Size: 750mlPoached pear with tropical fruit and hints of caramel popcorn and petrol notes. Soft mouthfeel a with balance of ripe orchard fruit and hints of nutmeg spice in the lively finish.
- Item #: i_345552Bottle Size: 750MLRoger & Didier Raimbault have been growing grapes in Sancerre for ten generations. Experience, technical savoir-faire and nature combined allow them to produce wines of great quality, respecting the typical characteristics of each vintage. The estate is located in Verdigny in the heart of Sancerre with two vineyards, Les Terres Blanches and Les Caillottes. The two grape varieties that are used in Sancerre are Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. The white wines are fresh, fruity and elegant, the rosés are delicate and subtle and the reds are perfumed and smooth. “When nature gives you a treasure, please respect and share it”.
Light yellow with gold tints. An elegant nose that is fruity with aromas of citrus and tropical fruit. Beautifully fresh, intense aromas that come from ripe sauvignon blanc. Good length and minerality. Can be enjoyed as an aperitif, with sea-food, fish dishes or cheese.
- Item #: i_370710Bottle Size: 750MLThe grapes for this basic cuvée of Sancerre are sourced from the vineyards in Bué, Vinon and Crézancy. After harvest, fermentation is done in stainless steel cuves at temperatures between 14 and 18 degrees Celsius. As with all the whites at the domaine, this wine sits in contact with the fine lies for a considerable period of time with the racking being done late in the spring following harvest. The first bottling occurs no earlier than July and frequently does not occur until September of the year following harvest.
- Item #: i_350362Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Pascal Jolivet. Terroir: Situated 125 miles south of Paris, the Sancerre landscape undulates at an altitude between 650 and 1,300 feet. The Loire River on the Eastern side of the hilly environment creates a relatively temperate microclimate for the wines. Pascal Jolivet Sancerre Blanc is sourced from three vineyards in the heart of the appellation.
Pale and vibrant in color. The Pascal Jolivet Sancerre is fresh, clean and screaming with racy acidity. On the palate it is fresh and tightly wound; acidity is tempered by very subtle residual sugar; very clean; alive, racy, youthful. Overall, a dry and elegant wine.
- Item #: i_345938Bottle Size: 750mlThis Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley is sourced from vineyards in Touraine and Anjou. It is made in manner to preserve freshness. Clean, crisp and dry with flavors of citrus, passion fruit, gooseberry and minerality.
- Item #: i_353069Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 90WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This rich Sancerre is full of white fruits as well as the more familiar herbal characteristics. It is taut, with a sculptured texture. The wine is not quite ready and will be better from early 2020."
- Item #: i_373252Bottle Size: 750MLThe Delaille family has owned Domaine du Salvard for more than a century; they have passed it down through generations and expanded the property from 25 acres to nearly 90. Brothers Emmanuel and Thierry represent the fifth generation of the family to farm the land, which they now work sustainably, and continue the winemaking tradition. Their white wine is an 85/15% blend of Sauvignon Blanc and CHARDONNAY; crisp and light, a blend of tropical fruit notes and citrus, the wine has great acidity and plenty of minerality.
- Item #: i_351303Bottle Size: 750mlIf Chene Marchand is all about power and stature, Petit Chemarin represents the silky and supremely elegant end of the Pinard’s single vineyard spectrum. Wonderfully fine and with precise aromas of lime, Sicilian lemon, salt, chalk and honeysuckle, the palate is liquid silk, utterly seamless from start to finish, a wine of great elegance and sustained refinement. Gorgeous.
- Item #: i_351302Bottle Size: 750mlVincent Pinard is one of the most dedicated producers of the Loire valley and, with 15 hectares based in Bué, has vines in some of the best sites around Sancerre. The excessively low yields, hand harvesting and modern winery, complete with temperature controlled vats, result in enticing, aromatic and intense wines. Although not certified organic, they do not use any pesticides in the vineyard.
- Item #: i_352046Bottle Size: 750mlVincent and Cosette Pinard’s 15 hectare Domaine extends over steep limestone slopes around Bué. The excessively low yields, hand harvesting and modern winery, complete with temperature-controlled vats, result in enticing, aromatic and intense wines. 100% tank-fermented and aged. As the name suggests this cuvée is very floral. Fine, crisp and very classic, there is plenty of fruit here: lemon, lime and grapefruit zest with a ripe juicy acidity; a strong complex terroir dimension is obvious, too, with its chalky, mineral touches.
- Item #: i_353784Bottle Size: 750mlThe current domaine, founded in 1996, is now helmed by Florent and Clémente, taking over from their father, Vincent. The winery is more innovative than ever before, while still maintaining the natural winemaking practices that have been followed for hundreds of years. Florent and Clément are laser-focused on creating wines with a sense of place, specializing on site-specific cuvées that are different expressions of this special terroir. Incorporating the use of new and used oak (an unusual form of elévage for Sauvignon Blanc), the Pinards are creating wines that have weight and depth, a far cry from the straightforward Sancerres produced by so many others. When you taste these whites, don't think about drinking Sauvignon Blanc, a grape variety that is known for exuberant tropical and herbal notes when grown elsewhere. Instead, remember that you're drinking a northern white wine, grown on very similar soil and in close proximity to Chablis. These wines are elegant, nuanced, full of personality but not bombastic. Their Pinot Noir is grown on clay-limestone soil with a limestone subsoil. With old vines and low yields, these reds are powerful but balanced and have the capacity for a long life in the cellar. The Pinards have been passing down winemaking techniques for generations, with the goal of always creating the most precise, pure, and fine wines possible. While many wineries are reverting to these natural winemaking practices, the Pinards have been implementing these methods for hundreds of years on their 17 hectares. They do everything as naturally as possible; intervene as little as feasible, limit yields, harvest by hand, and do not use herbicides, insecticides or anti-rot treatments. They believe that if the fruit is healthy, there is no need to use artificial products during the vinification process. And as to the top vignerons of Burgundy, should they visit Sancerre, there is one essential domaine that they visit...Vincent Pinard!