- Item #: i_351699Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Cornas Les Vieilles Vignes is cut from the same mold yet has a touch more tannins as well as mid-palate density. Notes of crème de cassis, blueberries, camphor, toasted spice, and smoked game all soar from the glass, and it's full-bodied, power-packed, yet elegant and seamless on the palate. Its wealth of fruit largely conceals plenty of underlying structure, and while it's already fun to taste, give bottles 4-5 years and enjoy over the following 10-15 years or more. The old vine cuvée comes from the Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards, and Chaillot lieu-dits, from 60+-year-old vines, was 80% destemmed and spent 20 months in 15-20% new French oak."
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vines with an average age of 60 years from lieux-dits Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards and Chaillot provide the fruit for this Cornas. It spends 20 months in barriques, around 20% new. There are multiple layers to the aromatic palate: rosemary, thyme, herbal bitters, blackberry, blackcurrant and loganberry. A medium-bodied, concentrated but unforced wine with no excessive extraction, a subtly spiced finish and sinewy, brushed tannins. Detailed, focussed, structured and textural, this is captivating and true to its terroir."
- Item #: i_350498Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-94JEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS: "One of the gems in the Northern Rhône lineup is the 2018 Côte Rôtie, which, as with all of Louis’ wines, wasn’t destemmed and was brought up in 30-40% new oak. Stunning aromatics of black raspberries, olive tapenade, ground pepper, violets, and assorted meat notes all flow to a medium to full-bodied, opulent, seamless Côte Rôtie that has a smoking good texture. Count me impressed."
- Item #: i_352118Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 94 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Mineral- and spice-accented aromas of fresh dark berries, licorice and candied violet show excellent delineation, clarity and lift. At once rich and energetic in the mouth, offering juicy black raspberry, cherry and spicecake flavors that steadily deepen on the back half. Turns sweeter on the persistent, penetrating finish, which features well-knit tannins and lingering floral and exotic spice notes. This is quite graceful, and while it will no doubt reward patience, it's awfully easy to drink now. Drinking window: 2024 - 2034."
- Item #: i_352266Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This has a lovely mouthfeel, with velvety waves of crushed plum and boysenberry reduction wrapped in sweet toast, bay leaf and alder notes. The long finish has a black tea note curling around and a late mineral twinge for contrast. Drink now through 2035."
DECANTER 95 POINTS
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_350004Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Opaque magenta. Mineral- and spice-accented dark berry and cherry aromas are complemented by a smoky nuance that builds with air. Concentrated blackberry and bitter cherry flavors show very good depth and take a sweeter turn on the back half. Finishes emphatically spicy and quite long, with supple, well-knit tannins lending shape to clinging cherry and floral pastille notes."
- Item #: i_354121Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS -"The 2016 Crozes Hermitage Les Trois Chênes comes from alluvial and pebbly soils and was mostly destemmed and brought up in demi-muids and tanks. Similarly colored, with lots of blackberry, spice, peppery herbs, and hints of incense, this beauty hits the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, a rounded, layered texture, sweet tannins, and a great finish. It's very much in the charming, forward style of the vintage and ideal for drinking over the coming 5-7 years."
- Item #: i_351582Bottle Size: 750mlThis small family Domaine of 1.5 hectares is situated in the heart of the Saint-Joseph appellation, in Ardèche, the Northern section of the Rhône wine region in Southern France.Although her family had for many years supplied grapes to a large local négociant, Martine Rouchier and her husband, Christian, determined in 2010 to begin making their own wine. They immediately began converting their vineyards to organic viticulture, a process that they completed beginning with the 2013 vintage. By 2015, Martine and Christian were practicing not only completely organic and biodynamic farming and fermentation. but also fully “natural” winemaking, in that their Saint-Joseph is made entirely without added sulfur. Domaine Rouchier produces two cuvées parcellaires of 100% Syrah: Luc is a .5-hectare lieu-dit of vines planted in 1972 on the hills above St-Jean de Muzols. The vineyard lies on a west-facing slope at an elevation of approximately 250m in soil comprised of clay and schist. Chave is a 1-hectare lieu-dit planted with vines dating to 1958. With Western exposition, Chave lies on soil dominated by granitic gneiss. Both cuvées employ two weeks of whole-cluster fermentation in concrete over indigenous yeasts, punctuated with pigeage (punching down) and remontage (pumping over). The young wine is then aged over for 16-18 months in neutral (5-9 years) oak barrels of 228L . The finished wine is then bottled unfiltered and entirely without SO2.
- Item #: i_311378Bottle Size: 750MLThe steep slopes of the northern Rhône present a challenging terrain where farming is only feasible through terracing. On these terraced slopes, the Faurys’ vines take full advantage of the southern and southeastern sun exposure, benefitting from optimum ripening. A combination of the predominately granitic soil, partial de-stemming (in about 70% of the grapes), soft crushing of the grapes with a pneumatic press, and temperature controlled fermentation offer a liveliness and freshness that one does not often find in wines from the northern Rhône. There’s a real attention to detail here, and nothing is done in haste.
- Item #: i_353301Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 92JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "Attractive peppery and spicy nose with an air of complexity and real interest. Plenty of stony aromas, violets and blackberries. The palate has a fluid, supple build with plush ripe dark plum and blackberry fruit flavors amid muscular but resolved tannins. Drink now."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS: "Lively raspberry and blackberry coulis flavors pump through, lined with a mouthwatering anise note. The finish is streaked with singed apple wood details, leaving an energetic feel. Very solid. Drink now through 2027. 2,940 cases made."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_353492Bottle Size: 750mlFleurs de Mai comes from very old Syrah vines planted by George Vernay on the upper plateau. Prior to being planted to vines, the vineyard was a peach orchard, and Fleurs de Mai references a variety of peach. This medium ruby-colored effort gives up plenty of exotic, peppery, almost tropical notes as well as blackberry and black raspberry fruits, medium body, fine tannins, and a sexy, incredibly gulpable style.
- Item #: i_354015Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 94
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Jaboulet's 2017 Hermitage La Maison Bleue is flat-out sexy stuff, full-bodied, plush and generous without being overripe or unstructured. Licorice, cassis and Asian five-spice powder burst from the glass in a complex whirl of scents and flavors. Sourced from the eastern end of the appellation, it offers immediate gratification and admirable quality at a fraction of the price of the La Chapelle."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "There are 2,000 cases of the 2017 Hermitage La Maison Bleue, which is all from the more limestone and loamy soils on the eastern side of the appellation. Aged in 15% new barrels and demi-muids, it has a youthful, fruit-forward, even sexy profile as well as terrific notes of black raspberries, melted licorice, truffles, violets, and bloody meat. It’s young and unevolved, with beautiful depth of fruit, and it’s undeniably better than many vintages of La Chapelle from the 1990s and 2000s."
- Item #: i_351949Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 94James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96
JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "The 2,000-case 2018 Hermitage Maison Bleue comes from the eastern side of the appellation and is a much more fleshy, opulent wine compared to the more mineral-laced La Chapelle. Jammy blackberry and cassis fruit, notes of ground herbs, graphite, and violets, full-bodied richness, beautiful concentration, and a great finish all make for a compelling Hermitage. It’s going to benefit from 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "The 2018 Hermitage La Maison Bleue offers up aromas of mocha, raspberries and a hint of black olive. It's full-bodied, velvety and plush, with a finish that's marked by hints of maple syrup and a slightly open-knit quality. It should drink well for at least a decade after release."
- Item #: i_353826Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - " Glistening violet. Smoke- and mineral-accented cherry and black raspberry scents are complemented by suggestions of violet and cracked pepper. Silky in texture and lively on the palate, offering gently sweet dark berry, cherry compote and floral pastille flavors firmed by a spine of juicy acidity. The spicy note returns on an impressively long, penetrating finish that shows very good clarity and subtle, fine-grained tannins."
- Item #: i_321299Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine Pradelle is a family estate since 1854 managed by the Pradelle brothers, Jacques and Jean-Louis, and Antoine Pradelle, the son of Jacques.The vineyard is 35 hectares and located all around Tain l’Hermitage on the both sides of the Rhone river. On the left-bank of the Rhône the grapes are used to make Crozes-Hermitage. Courbis is the name of the single vineyard.
11 months in 30hl barrels-15% new oak. Clay with gravel Now until 2017
- Item #: i_352156Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This is very solidly built, nearly bristling with briary energy along the edges while the core of steeped plum, cherry and currant fruit cruises through. Mouthwatering savory, tobacco and olive notes score the finish, all set against a lovely floral accent in the background."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "There are 20,000 bottles of Rostaing's 2016 Cote Rotie Ampodium, so it is the cuvée most consumers are likely to encounter. It's a fine example of the appellation, offering briary notes of ripe red fruit with spice and herb shadings. It's medium-bodied, silky and fine, with attractive notes of licorice and tea on the finish that give this entry-level wine more complexity than most."
- Item #: i_354257Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "From older vines cropped to lower levels than his domaine bottling, Rousset's 2017 Crozes Hermitage les Picaudieres mostly ages in barrels (only 5% new), while 40% matures in tank. It's similarly styled, with ripe, lush plums and licorice notes, a full-bodied, concentrated palate and a long finish tinged with baking spices."
- Item #: i_353289Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "Tightly wound, with a solid core of dark currant, raspberry and blackberry reduction notes, laced with sweet tobacco, singed mesquite and sanguine details. Shows piercing focus on the finish, with serious length as the mineral edge lingers. Best from 2021 through 2035. 625 cases made, 10 cases imported."