- Item #: i_353121Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine la Barroche is a family estate that has been passed down from one generation to the next since the 14th century. Julien’s father, Christian Barrot, is passionate about viticulture and has taken meticulous care of the family’s 12.5 hectare of vines since the early 1970’s. Until Julien joined his father back in 2002, all of the wine had been sold in bulk to negociants. Now, half of the Grenache vines are more than 100 years-old and are some of the oldest found in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Julien has moved to completely organic viticulture (not certified) and his father is still following his passion and continues to work in the vineyards. Taking all of his father’s work to the next level, Julien is now vinifying each grape variety and some parcels separately, studying and learning his holdings parcel by parcel.
The 2017 Domaine La Barroche Chateauneuf-du-Pape offers a singular wine personality, a delicate alchemy of spices and well-ripened black fruits, a delight for the senses.
- Item #: i_350860Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A similar blend, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Boisrenard checks in as 66% Grenache, 12% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance a mix of permitted varieties, that saw 10% new oak. It has a thrilling bouquet of black cherries, cassis, bouquet garni, scorched earth, and graphite. Tasting like a Grand Cru Burgundy with its tension, purity, and elegance, it has building tannins, terrific concentration, and a great finish. Still tight, backward and reserved, hide bottles for 4-5 years if you can. It's going to be long-lived."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Mostly (66%) Grenache, with smaller amounts of Mourvèdre and Syrah (12% each), and tiny amounts of the other permitted varieties, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Boisrenard is inky in color, with aromas that hint at toasted coconut, black cherries and chocolate. It's a rich, decadent, full-bodied sexpot of a CdP that possess admirable concentration, a wonderfully creamy-silky texture and a long, long finish."
- Item #: i_353886Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Even better, the 2017 Rasteau Les Argiles Bleues (80/20 Grenache and Syrah) just screams Rasteau with its ripe, chocolaty dark fruit and scorched earth aromas and flavors. It’s rich, has tons of minerality, medium to full body, and a great finish. It’s capable of lasting for over a decade."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Could the 2017 Rasteau Argiles Bleues be even better than the excellent 2016? It's certainly a big step up from the regular 2017 bottling. Ripe notes of cola, plum and dried spices lead into a full-bodied, expansive palate that's rich and velvety in texture, finishing long and layered. It should drink well for at least 6-7 years."
- Item #: i_304757Bottle Size: 750MLSince the 2004 vintage, we have expanded our work with the Levet family to include a second bottling of Cote Rotie known as “Les Journaries”, a cuvée drawn from grapes harvested from old vines in the “La Landonne” lieu-dit. This wine is more subtle, more elegant and “quieter” if you will than the “Chavaroche”. At the same time, it is very much a Levet wine with a bouquet of violets, wild berries, a touch of animal and resinous-like tannins that speak of the inclusion of stems (a hallmark of the Levet tradition). The “Journaries” is approachable at an earlier stage than its companion “La Chavaroche” but, that being said, it is a wine that not only ages gracefully but almost requires a touch of patience. Bernard Levet’s wines are well-structured wines that are built for aging and experience significant improvement with time in bottle. In our opinion, these wines at maturity reflect most effectively the true nature of the terroir of Cote Rotie. MADROSE
- Item #: i_353971Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Jeb Dunnuck: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "From the lieu-dit of the same name, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Guigasse is all undestemmed Grenache matured in demi-muids, possibly as long as 30-36 months, according to Baptiste Grangeon, who looks after the wines for American importer Peter Weygandt. Less perfumed than it is some years, it still positively bursts with raspberries and cherries, hints of cola and peppery spice. It's full-bodied, rich and silky-textured, with a long, plush yet vibrant finish that hints at mint and garrigue. Tasted twice (once blind), with consistent notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Guigasse comes from a single lieu-dit in the heart of the appellation and is 100% Grenache that was not destemmed and brought up in old barrels. It’s a Provençal as they come offering a killer perfume of spiced red and black fruits, white pepper, garrigue, and herbes de Provence to go with a medium to full-bodied seamless style on the palate. It benefits from air, is perfectly balanced, and is a complex, layered, incredibly satisfying 2017 Châteauneuf du Pape that can be cellared today or cellared for 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_351375Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 95Decanter: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape is another sunny, beautifully Provençal effort that has a huge nose of garrigue, raw steak, leather, truffle, and peppery spice. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and balanced, it’s not a massive Beaucastel yet it has a classic, Provençal, incredibly satisfying style that will benefit from 4-6 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The full-bodied, dense 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape seems a bit closed at the moment, but Asian five spice powder still brings plenty of complexity and nuance to the rich, dark fruit aromas and flavors. Multidimensional, layered and long, this is another terrific vintage for Beaucastel's main cuvée, perhaps falling just slightly behind the 2016 and 2018."
- Item #: i_352383Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94WINE ADVOATE 94 POINTS - "Notes of smoked meat and cold fireplace mark the nose of Saint Cosme's 2017 Cote Rotie. It's medium to full-bodied, with a plush, seductive mouthfeel, supple tannins and a long finish. It should be a beauty."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS, WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS, VINOUS 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_351076Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Languedoc region of the South of France, a stone’s throw away from the Mediterranean sea. Chateau Maris offers sustainable, organic wines. Maris Minervois wine is a blend of Syrah & Grenache, in AOP Minervois. Aromas of blackberry, black cherry, pepper, and blackcurrant. Attractive mouth with a fruited palate. A comforting everyday wine perfect for a roast, barbecue and sharing with friends.
- Item #: i_350340Bottle Size: 750mlWines from Le Clos du Caillou are Rhône blends at their most intense. Concentrated and richly textured, these organically raised, older-vine wines capture the spice and silk of old-vine Grenache grown on the region’s finest terroirs. Each wine too reflects the native perfumes of the south, the “garrigue” blend of thyme, rosemary and lavender that grows wild among the estate’s vines. Of all the terroir in the Côtes du Rhône appellation, the “clos” of Caillou has to be one of the most exceptional. Completely surrounded by Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, this walled parcel of land was intentionally left out of the appellation by the owner, following a bureaucratic spat back in 1936. What this means today is that Caillou’s Côtes du Rhône wines are the qualitatively the same, with regard to terroir and exposition, as top Châteauneuf wines.
- Item #: i_352742Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Decanter: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I always love this cuvée, and the 2017 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Quartz offers a terrific perfume of black raspberries, white flowers, orange blossom, honeysuckle, and crushed rocks. It's medium to full-bodied, seamless, and finesse-driven on the palate, with the pure, elegant style of the estate front and center. It picks up more minerality with time in the glass, is beautifully balanced, and has a great finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Quartz features scents of black olives and black cherries on the nose. It's a full-bodied, dense, tightly packed wine that will need time to fully express itself—is it a modern-day 2005? Ample cherry and stone fruit appear on the long, intense finish, confirming the terrific potential this wine possesses."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "Grown half on galets and half on sand in lieu-dit Les Cassanets, the fruit is destemmed and fermented mostly in concrete, before being matured in demi-muid, except for a 10% portion in amphora. It has a highly individual aromatic profile, very dark and brooding. The full-bodied palate features black fruits with a lovely sense of purity and line. There's real weight and presence without heaviness, and wonderful harmony and balance. A highly polished wine with a slight sweetness to the fruit and a very long finish. The best Quartz in some time from Clos du Caillou - real depths to explore here despite the polish."
- Item #: i_352497Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94DECANTER 94 POINTS - "Sourced from lieu-dit Les Bédines, the fruit is destemmed and fermented in concrete, then matured 75% in foudre and 25% in demi-muid. Loganberry and bay leaf notes display burgeoning complexity, leading to a very full-bodied and flowing palate with highly polished red berry fruit. It has great finesse in a highly tailored style, with incredible silkiness to the tannins - they're plentiful but super-fine. Captivating and seductive."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "More elegant as well as more complex, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Safres boasts beautiful notes of kirsch liqueur, new saddle leather, garrigue, and pepper incense. Rounded, beautifully textured, and elegant, with ultra-fine tannins, it's a seamless, sensational Châteauneuf Du Pape wine that shines on all accounts. It shows the sunny, sexy style of the vintage and is approachable today yet will keep for 15+ years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Hints of rosemary and pine accent cherries and apricots in the Grenache-dominated 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Safres. Full-bodied, rich and velvety, it finishes long and intense. Already drinking well, it should continue to do so through 2030."
- Item #: i_351165Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cotes du Rhone Les Quartz looks to be something special. Full-bodied, concentrated and velvety, it delivers intense fruit notes of ripe raspberries and stone fruit that linger on the finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Côtes Du Rhône Les Quartz is a step up, offering complex kirsch, black raspberry, spice, and garrigue notes as well as some toasted bread hints. It's rounded, supple, and beautifully balanced, with fine tannins and a great finish."
- Item #: i_353039Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape is an awesome wine from Laurent, and while it shows the sunny, ripe, sexy style of the vintage, it never loses the elegance and purity that’s the hallmark of Charvin. Lots of kirsch, graphite, dried flowers, garrigue, and ample minerality flow to a medium to full-bodied, silky, incredibly well-balanced red that has a stacked mid-palate, building tannins, and a great finish. Give bottles 4-5 years of bottle age and it will cruise over the following two decades."
- Item #: i_349977Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - " Moving to the two 2017s, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes checks in as 100% Grenache coming from a single parcel in the Cristia lieu-dit, in the heart of the appellation and was brought up mostly in old barrels, with 30% in new demi-muids. Revealing a more ruby/plum color, it has an incredible nose of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, garrigue, and spring flowers. These all carry to a full-bodied, layered, elegant Grenache that has silky tannins, flawless balance, and a great, great finish. It’s already complex and ready to go today yet will cruise for 10-15 years in cold cellars."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - Possessing more concentration and richness than the other Cristia cuvées, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes—sourced from 95-year-old Grenache vines in the Cristia lieu-dit—combines hints of cedar and vanilla from the barrels in which it matured with ripe raspberries and black cherries. Full-bodied and intensely flavored, it delivers those things without any sense of heaviness, remaining fresh, silky and elegant from boldly aromatic start to long, nuanced finish. Yum!
- Item #: i_345363Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE - "The 2017 Châteauneuf du Pape Signature, which got all of the Grenache grapes normally designated for Pure, is a medium to full-bodied, nicely structured effort that exhibits lots of black cherry, smoked herbs, licorice and spice.The wine is nicely concentrated and with enough tannin to benefit from a year or two in the cellar; it’s an outstanding wine that will drink nicely through 2025."
- Item #: i_353120Bottle Size: 750mlIt tastes like a Châteauneuf du Pape with its juicy black raspberry, violets, peppery herbs and distinct minerality. This comparison is certainly still valid on the palate, as well and its medium to full-bodied, concentrated and structured, with a sappy, grippy style that will evolve nicely for 7-8 years or more. Don’t let the Vin de France label sway you, this is the real deal. Jeb Dunnuck pour Robert Parker – Octobre 2016
- Item #: i_353080Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "More Grenache-dominated, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Dame Voyageuse is billed as the early drinker from this estate. Nevertheless, the quality certainly doesn't lag the top cuvée by much. The 2017 checks in as a blend of 90% Grenache, 4% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance a mix of permitted varieties, brought up largely in very old barrels. Its deep ruby/purple color gives way to an incredibly sexy, voluptuous wine that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, wild strawberries, ground herbs, pepper, and hints of chocolate. Broad, expansive, silky, and seamless on the palate, this brilliant wine has more upfront appeal than the more concentrated La Reine Des Bois, yet I wouldn't put it past this to age just as long."
- Item #: i_352372Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 93DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Sweet and opulent, this is really rather yummy with abundant notes of blueberry, thyme, blackcurrant, spice and olives. Very dense, textured, saline and toothsome; powerful but very drinkable. Great development potential."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Depending on which exact components go into the blend (and the actual blending decisions), I suspect the 2017 Lirac La Reine des Bois could be slightly different from these composite impressions. That said, all the potential puzzle pieces I tried were excellent. Expect a full-bodied, rich and velvety wine, with hints of boysenberries, blueberries and vanilla, with more length and verve than the regular bottling."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The flagship is the 2017 Lirac La Reine Des Bois, a Mourvèdre-heavy blend that includes 30% each of Syrah and Grenache. Its deep purple color is followed by stunning notes of blackberries, cassis, graphite, earth, and peppery herbs. Full-bodied, rich, concentrated, and voluptuous, it has no hard edges, remarkable purity, and a blockbuster finish. It's a decidedly sexy, forward, opulent wine from this estate to enjoy over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_333963Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 95WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Whiffs of dried strawberry and cherry mingle into darker notes of smoke and spice in this perfumed blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Cinsault. A luscious, voluminous sip, it floods the palate with primary cherry and raspberry flavors but also a crush of minerals too. This readily approachable wine with fine, silky tannins should gain earthier complexities through 2030."
- Item #: i_350090Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Brilliant ruby-red. Vibrant, sharply focused red fruit, floral, garrigue and exotic spice qualities on the highly expressive nose. Intense raspberry, bitter cherry, succulent herbs and candied lavender flavors show superb delineation and no excess weight. Finishes with impressive persistence, sneaky tannins and resonating floral and spice notes. This graceful wine should age effortlessly on its balance."
- Item #: i_333551Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94-95VINOUS 94-95 POINTS - "Brilliant magenta. Potent, spice- and mineral-accented red fruits, succulent flowers and exotic spices on the highly perfumed, sharply delineated nose. Palate-caressing raspberry, bitter cherry, candied lavender and star anise flavors steadily deepen as the wine opens up. Manages to be both powerful and graceful, showing wonderful intensity and detail on a strikingly long, youthfully tannic finish."
- Item #: i_352800Bottle Size: 750mlDark berries, licorice, spice and a hint of tobacco and ash. While substantial in weight, it is soft on the palate. Perfect with roasted chicken, creamy fresh cheeses, grilled meats. Versatile enough to bring along to your next dinner party.
- Item #: i_300063Bottle Size: 750MLDeep crimson color. Ripe dark berries, turning to spices. Smooth and persistent with aromatic fullness. A blend of Grenache Noir, Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault and Counoise. Pair well with red meat, dishes cooked in sauce, meat terrine and cheeses.
- Item #: i_351257Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95`ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "VT's 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc is a blend of 45% Clairette, 30% Grenache Blanc, 15% Roussanne and 10% Bourboulenc, fermented in a mix of foudres, demi-muids and barriques. It's medium to full-bodied but tight, with crisp lime, lemon and pear notes carried on a silky-textured palate. You could drink this on release and enjoy it for its focus and delineation, or you could give the inner richness the time it needs (2-3 years) to emerge and soften the subtle citrus zest notes on the finish."
- Item #: i_353134Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Coming in (rating-wise) right where I projected it would last year, Giraud's 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape is a terrific example of a cuvée tradition. At 80% Grenache, 15% Syrah and 5% Mourvèdre, it's a pretty typical blend yet one that exceeds expectations. It's full-bodied, plush and velvety, showing ample ripeness—raspberries, cherries, and stone fruit—without going over the top into cooked fruit. No, it doesn't show that much complexity at this age, but some of that will emerge over the next decade or so."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "I loved the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape, and I’d certainly be happy with a case in the cellar. Offering a pure, elegant, incredibly Grenache-driven profile of sweet black raspberries, incense, violets, and garrigue, it’s medium to full-bodied, ethereal, and elegant on the palate. It’s already hard to resist yet will keep for 10-15 years."