- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_354185Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - ""Lemon and grapefruit zest are subtle but distinct on this wine's nose. The palate shows immense concentration, centered around vivid citrus zestiness that brightens and tingles on the midpalate. There is something driven and taut here, stony and bold."
- Item #: i_333400Bottle Size: 750mlJean-Marie Bechtold is a strong personality with a strong and genuine commitment to the environment. In and around Dahlheim in northern Alsace he makes (biodynamic wines in a very personal style). His hallmark is a special softness that brings out the subtle aspects of his grape material from the half dozen vineyards he carefully manages.In addition to Engelberg, Bechtold actively develops three interesting Lieux-dits;(literally said-location) Obere Hund, Silberberg and Sussenberg.
"most often carries almost no residual sugar and is a wine destined for cellaring. It is a complete wine with all the complexities conveyed by the limestone soil, yet it requires several years to marry its fruit and minerality together and reach full potential." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_354239Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Cardamom and pine needle notes are exotic on the nose of this finely meshed white. Light- to medium-bodied and zesty, with vibrant acidity married to flavors of baked peach, almond biscotti and candied orange zest. The graceful finish shows a lasting tang of salinity. Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Beurrot, Muscat and Pinot Noir."
- Item #: i_350892Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsOrganic and Biodynamic (certified by Ecocert & Demeter)
Offers a delicate nose of fresh orchard fruit and light floral notes with a touch of beeswax. The granite of the terroir can be felt through a crisp and vivid acidity. The palate is light-bodied and balanced with a slight minerality for an endless finish.
- Item #: i_350834Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "I love the orange and nectarine character on the nose. Although this is quite full-bodied on the palate, there's a very clean acidity. Still a bit challenging at the finish. This should gain some more harmony in 2019 and 2020. Made from organically grown grapes."
- Item #: i_351894Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The bright and fresh citrus color of the 2012 Langenberg indicates a traditional field blend of different (mostly white) grape varieties, such as Riesling and the early ripening Muscat and diverse Pinots. The complantation is cultivated on the poor and weathered granite soils of a steep, south-facing and terraced vineyard in St-Hippolyte, and all the grapes were picked in one passage. The wine starts with a lovely clear bouquet of white fruits and flowers, along with refreshing citrus flavors and a stony/mineral touch. The minerality is even more present and expressive on the palate which reveals a subtle, gently sweet and elegant fruit, as well as a lot of tension and vibrancy. The Langenberg finishes pure, minerally-piquant and salty and with a stimulating grip. “Granite gives tension and finesse, not volume,” says Jean-Marcel Deiss, adding that the Langenberg "is a strict and protestant" wine. However, it is excellent at least for the next 8 years."
- Item #: i_354177Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Subtle notes of tart but aromatic apple reach the nose. The palate of this wine is dry and concentrated, displaying juicy notes of tart apple and ripe pear edged with gentle lemon. The mellow and subtle balance leads to a dry, vivid finish."
- Item #: i_353917Bottle Size: 750mlFélix Meyer’s old-vine Pinot Blanc from the slopes of Katzenthal, in Alsace, has long overdelivered in the role of the proverbial “crisp white” for which we long. It has obvious thirst-quenching properties, expressed in the form of perky acidity and a mouth-watering, almost smoky mineral note that grabs hold of the back of the palate.
- Item #: i_311104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsBIODYNAMIC
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "A glint of Mirabelle plum on the nose of this wine is edged with lemon and wet stone. The palate expands into a riper, juicier notion of melon and shows a salty, yeasty but also zesty texture guided by lemony freshness. The finish tapers to a linear dryness that shines with honesty and barely constrained energy."
- Item #: i_345654Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "For a seven-year-old dry white, this has great vitality. The more air it gets, the more candied-citrus, pear and dried-herb aromas emerge. Although the wine's frame is on the sleek side, there's serious concentration. The finish is very long with a cascade of herbal and mineral notes. Drink or hold.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Trimbach’s 2011 Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile leads with a fascinating nose mingling quinine and smoky black tea with the more usual lime, white peach and crushed chalk. Silken-textured and generously juicy, with hauntingly bittersweet inner-mouth floral perfume, it opens-up in an infectiously juicy manner one seldom expects from youthful exemplars of this cuvee, thus drinking-well before one is able to purchase it! (But at least you can safely count on savoring it in its elegant prime through at least 2025.) Lentil sprout, peach kernel, and almond oil add to the diversity of flavors already intimated on the nose in a superbly sustained, bell-clear and invigorating as well as surprisingly and delightfully buoyant finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Lovely spice and smoke notes lead the way in this firm, linear white, accenting poached apple, chopped almond, dried thyme and lemon pith flavors on the harmonious palate. Best from 2019 through 2029."
- Item #: i_334123Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 90Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Wet stone and fresh lemon are faint but distinct on the nose. A pure lemon flavor streaks across the slender, taut palate, with a comet-like spray of freshness. This wine is dry and, if it weren't for juicy glimpses of ripe lemon, would be almost austere."
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Quite tart and firm. This has enough depth to carry well, and there's a great burst of candied-citrus character at the long finish. Drink or hold."