- Item #: i_374624Bottle Size: 750mlFor the Chauvet, harmony in champagne is not just important, it is elemental. As such, they are regional champions of the art of blending Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and they take an unabashedly classical approach in the vineyards and in the cellars. Farming their family’s 10 hectares sustainably in five of the Montagne de Reims’s 17 grand crus—Bouzy, Ambonnay, Verzy, Verzenay and Bisseuil— one feels a complex synergy to the final wines where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Long fermentations and extended élevages on the lees help develop complexity and fine aromatics, while also radically reducing the need for sulfur and eschewing the need for malolactic fermentations. In the end, their harmony in both their partnership and practice yields elegant, earthy and aromatic champagnes with a fine, satiny mousse that dances across the palate. That they are also capable of long cellar aging is a fitting legacy for a family who has endured since 1848, and whose family home in Tours-sur-Marne features an immaculately preserved salon, dating to the early 1900's.
- Item #: i_321873Bottle Size: 750MLGorgeously creamy nose at first, reminiscent of raw, all-butter shortcrust pasty with fresh lemon zest. With more air a distinct notion of chalk comes through, as well as a notion almost of chamomile, a hint of the lift of pine. There is the inherent austerity of pure chalk soil which anchors this in profound coolness, relieved by the ripeness of 2012. There is a steeliness at the core that shimmers through, an essential, true nature that makes the statuesque structure of this wine, clothed in a warmer notion of ripeness. It treads a tenuous path between that utter, austere freshness of purest chalk and generous, warmth and ripeness. Its core of pure lemony brightness constitutes inherent, soothing coolness. The finish stands out via its taut, creamy apple-flesh texture. Just as we expect from this house, this is a picture of elegance. It is lovely now, but I am certain that this will wow us over years to come.
- Item #: i_379469Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Disgorged in March 2019 with three grams per liter dosage, the NV Extra-Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Cuvée Vive unfurls in the glass with scents of wet stones, iodine, lemon oil, crisp green apple and brioche. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, with a ripe core of fruit, racy acids and a penetratingly chalky finish. This finely balanced bottling is showing very well."
- Item #: i_377844Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 93"This Vertus domaine numbers among my favorite addresses on the Cote de Blancs, and the Doyard family's vinous, incisive Champagnes deserve a place in any well-stocked cellar. Deep, concentrated and characterful, everything that bears the Doyard label is well worth serious attention." - William Kelley, The Wine Advocate.
The Doyards trace their roots in Champagne back to the 17th century. Maurice Doyard was the first in the family to make wine in the village of Vertus, officially signifying the domaine's foundation. In 1979, at the ripe old age of 20, Yannick Doyard took over the estate, quickly turning it into a beacon for precise, mineral-etched Champagnes they're known for today. They employ a 'non-dogmatic' approach to biodynamic farming, utilizing absolutely no herbicides or pesticides, and most vineyards are still worked by horse.
Doyard's "Vendemiaire" is an entry-level Champagne in name only, as this forty-dollar bubbly easily rivals Grande Marque fare commanding twice its modest price. From 45+ year-old Chardonnay vines primarily in the village of Vertus, along with parcels in Le Mesnil-sur-Oger Grand Cru, Oger Grand Cru, Avize Grand Cru, and Cramant Grand Cru, this year's cuvee is based on the 2014, 2013, and 2012 vintages. Only 15% malo, the vins clairs are aged in older Burgundy barrels before a remarkable 60-months (quite a lot for an entry-level cuvee!) sur lie prior to release.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Firm acidity and a chalky underpinning create a snappy, lip-smacking frame for the flavors of baked white cherry, star anise, ground ginger, chopped almond and biscuit. Finely meshed and harmonious, with the flavor range carried on the delicate, creamy mousse. Drink now through 2024."AN (12/19)
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The forthcoming release of the NV Brut Blanc de Blancs Cuvée Vendémiaire is based on the 2014 vintage and was disgorged in September 2019, so it's arriving on the market now. Revealing an inviting bouquet of orchard fruit, warm bread, oyster shell and pastry cream, it's medium to full-bodied, pillowy and charming, without quite the same incisiveness of the 2013-based cuvée, concluding with a saline finish."
- Item #: i_375687Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90A very light straw yellow color with lots of bubbles. The nose has light fresh bread, green apple, and a hint of orange. weet and succulent on the palate. Juicy apple. Creamy and warm. As it warms, it has an orange citrus feeling on the midrange. This stuff rocks.
- Item #: i_3765008Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 90 POINTS - " "With a hazelnut, white pepper and spice bouquet, this cuvée is taut, medium-bodied and nicely balanced, with a citrussy finish. The blend is 35% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir and 30% Pinot Meunier."
Huré Frères follows strict sustainable practices from vine to bottle and selects from massale vineyards-essentially plots that have been replanted with cuttings from the best-performing vines.
- Item #: i_379004Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS-"Disgorged in June 2017, Vergnon's 2010 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Expression is showing brilliantly, unwinding in the glass with aromas of dried white flowers, honeycomb, candied peel, yellow orchard fruit and praline. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied and vinous but precise, with racy acids, chalky structuring extract and a long, beautifully defined finish. This is one of the finest wines I've tasted from Vergnon to date."
- Item #: i_379876Bottle Size: 750mlExtra brut champagne blended exclusively from Grand Cru le Mesnil sur Oger, from the "Les Chetillons et Mussettes" plots. Single varietal, this Chardonnay only comes from the year 2010. Production is limited to 3900 bottles and the aging potential is 30 years. The dress is golden with light green reflections. Nose: white fruits such as peach and pear with toasted almonds to finish with expressions of lemon from Menton, brioche, harmoniously composed of more mineral notes The mouth confirms the first olfactory perceptions with a long and mineral finish, with a last very saline note. Serve around 8 to 10 ° C Ideally suited as an aperitif with seafood such as the Marennes-Oléron oyster or Belon, gray or pink shrimp.
- Item #: i_378210Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-"A crisp, taut and dry blanc de blancs that has an array of lemons and hazelnuts on the nose and a subtly nutty edge to the grapefruit and lemon peel flavors. Nice and fresh. Drink now." (09/18)
- Item #: i_378520Bottle Size: 750mlA vintage cuvée from the single vineyard bearing its name. Toulette" is a single vineyard, mono cepage cuvee produced from Chardonnay vines that were planted in 1947. Crop levels were held to a miserly thirty hectoliters per hectare. The vins clairs were barrel fermented in older Burgundy casks and the wine is finished off with a minimal dosage of two grams per liter. Malolatic fermentation is avoided in order to release the full flavor origins of the wine. It displays a deep golden color and a rich, toasty nose. A full-flavored wine with a hint of almond/frangipane; almost like a Galette des Rois cake. Stunning!
- Item #: i_374647Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - " The NV Brut Blanc de Blancs flows with the essence of lemon, white flowers, almonds and pears. It is a bright, focused wine backed up with considerable plushness and generosity in its fruit. The Blanc de Blancs should drink beautifully for a number of years."
- Item #: i_376514Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS-"The NV (2015) Brut Nature Blanc de Blancs is once again one of the stars in the range, not to mention an absolutely insane value in the world of fine wine. Bright, sculpted and classy to the core, the 2015 dazzles from the very first taste. Citrus, mineral and floral notes abound in this super-expressive, finely-cut Blanc de Blancs. Crystalline and energetic, the Blanc de Blancs has so much to offer. The 2015 is a more than worthy follow up to the stellar 2013. Non-dosé. Disgorged: January 2018."
- Item #: i_377303Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS-"The 2008 Extra Brut Vieille Vigne de Levant Cramant Grand Cru is a big, imposing Champagne. Dried pear, smoke, slate, dried herbs and crushed flowers all resonate in the glass. The 2008 carries a real sense of old-vine gravitas and power. There is no shortage of intensity, but the slightly forward, oxidative flavor profile leads me to think the 2008 is best enjoyed sooner rather than later. Disgorged: September 2016. Dosage is 2 grams per liter."
First created in 1988, the Vieilles Vignes de Levant Extra Brut is a vintage cuvee produced from the oldest Grand Cru vines in the village of Cramant- ranging from fifty to eighty year-old vines. Like the Terre de Vertus, it is a single vintage cuvée fermented in oak, rather than stainless steel, though in this case, it is a combination of large foudres and smaller Burgundy barrels that are used. The wine receives a very low dosage of two grams per liter prior to release. Fermented using natural yeasts in a combination of 60% used barriques and 40% used foudres and left on the lees during the winter. Bottled unfined and unflitered, dosage is 2 grams/liter.
- Item #: i_378654Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS-"The latest release of Lassaigne's NV Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Les Vignes de Montgueux is a blend of the 2016, 2015 and 2014 vintages, and is disgorged à la volée without dosage. Offering up a lively bouquet of green apples, freshly baked bread, white peach and pastry cream, it's medium to full-bodied, taut and racy, with a lively spine of acidity, lovely purity and a long, searingly chalky finish. Lassaigne characterizes this as his "apéro" cuvée—modestly, as this makes for a decidedly serious apéritif."
Jacques Lassaigne is a 4.7-hectare family vineyard located in Montgueux. The vineyards boast prime southeastern exposure and consist entirely of Chardonnay. The Montgueux vineyard sites were originally held for the Montrachet of Champagne and are located near the gates of Troyes—the former capital of Champagne. This area is technically part of the Aube department, but is much further north than what people typically think of as the Aube, in the Cote des bars which features wines often primarily made from Pinot Meunier. The terroir in Montgueux is nearly identical to the growing sites found further north in le Mesnil, as they share the same limestone vein —this is exceptional terroir for making great champagne. An intense backbone of acidity is often present in these wines, but since it is located further south than the storied Cotes des blancs, ripening is not as much of an issue. The non-vintage Blanc de Blancs is a blend of nine different vineyard sites & two successive vintages.
- Item #: i_379353Bottle Size: 750MLFor the Cuvée Exhilarante, Patrick wanted a cuvée representative of the estate. Along with an identical core to the Chardonnay Millésimé, the old vine parcels in Cramant and Avize, it includes 10% each of Patrick’s best Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir. Since the Pinots are not grown in Grand Cru communes, Exhilarante is not a Grand Cru. Nevertheless, it is undoubtedly Patrick’s most complex wine.
- Item #: i_321865Bottle Size: 750mlAspect: Pale gold color with strong light yellow reflections, luminous and fluid aspect, lively effervescence of fine bubbles, persistent cordon
Nose: Fine citrus notes evolving towards pastry, almond milk, fresh butter, hazelnut, and ripe fruit, almost stewed.
Palate: Both full and lively with a melted effervescence, it reveals a fine balance between a stirring lemony acidity and a chalky minerality of seductive tenderness. Long-lasting and harmonious length, finely iodized and saline
- Item #: i_387629Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES:100% Chardonnay Crus : Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, Chouilly, Oiry Viticulture : Environmentally-friendly(organic fertilizers and treatments, mechanical procedures for the soils, aromatherapy, biodynamic principles) In the winery and cellar… Vintage : 2010 Vinification : Cuvées only (1st pressing), alcoholic fermentation at 17°C, malolactic fermentation, aged for 10 months in stainless steel vats. Bottled June 2011. 1997 bottles, 60 magnums Aging on lath : 7 years Dosage : 2 g / litre.
- Item #: i_377688Bottle Size: 750mlThis new to us grower-producer has created a most exciting terroir Champagne that perfectly showcases the ripe, broad demeanor for which the Chardonnays of Chouilly are prized. This then is a single varietal (Chardonnay), single harvest (2010), and single parcel Champagne. The Le Fond du Bateau lieu-dit was planted more than 50 years ago by Paul Pertois and is situated in the cru's best quadrant, i.e. south of the town directly east of the Butte de Saran on the northern border of Cramant. Environmentally-friendly vinicultural practices are employed in this vineyard including organic fertilizers and treatments, aromatherapy and biodynamic principles. The family intentionally reduces the vine's vigor and yields which results in enhanced aromatic concentration. This wine was fermented in stainless steel with malo and given 10 months to settle prior to bottling. Further complexity was achieved by seven years of yeast aging prior to disgorgement. While rich with a soft minerality, there is more than enough acidity to keep everything taught and focused through the extended finish. The flavor excitement and refinement exhibited in this superb bottling definitely make Pertois-Lebrun a name to watch.
- Item #: i_321813Bottle Size: 750mlThis way-under-the-radar Champagne discovery is yet another over-achiever from the heart of the Côte des Blancs. Pertois-Lebrun grows Chardonnay in Cramant, Le Mesnil-SurOger, Chouilly, Oiry, and Oger, all five of which are Grand Cru villages in the Côtes des Blancs. The team of Antoine and Celement Bouret take meticulous care in the treatment of their vines in order to express all of the Chardonnay grapes’ nuances and subtleties, while at the same time reflecting the diversity and unique characteristics of 44 plots. They have reduced synthetic inputs to a minimum (including the total elimination of herbicides and insecticides), ploughing and grassing the soil and giving preference to organic fertilizers. “L’Extravertie” is great introduction to the house and is a stunning value to boot. Based on the 2014 vintage Champagne combining freshness, lightness and finesse. Perfect for any occasion, it will delight you during any special moment. The L’extravertie is made only with grapes from Grand Cru terroirs (Le Mesnil-surOger, Chouilly and Oiry) and cultivated according to a sustainable viticulture... Aspect: Straw yellow color with silver reflections, luminous and fluid aspect, fine bubbles feeding a persistent bezel.
Nose: Brioche and buttered, opening with chalky notes of citrus fruits (lemon, grapefruit), acacia, licorice with a slight hint of anise.
Palate: Supple and fresh attack, fine and melted effervescence. Pulpy fruit aroma, supported by a pleasant lemony acidity and a delicately creamy and elegant chalky minerality. Harmonious and melting finish.
- Item #: i_376943Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES-"Alphaël, angel of knowledge and light, embodies the pure expression of our Chardonnay Grand Cru: fresh and well balanced, with notes of citrus fruit. With its pale, golden aspect, and glints of emerald, it shimmers with a fine effervescence. The first nose, subtle and elegant, unveils notes of candied quince and a rich mineral essence. It then opens out into flavors of fresh fruit, such as peach, and light notes of orange zest. In the mouth, white flowers lead into the slightly roasted and gingerbread undertone of the finish."
Champagne Philippe Glavier is located in the Grand Cru village of Cramant in the Côte des Blancs. Philippe is a RM (Grower) who founded his winery in 1995 with 3 hectares of Grand Cru vineyards and married Véronique in 2000 who bought with her 1.4 hectares from her families' holdings from Grand Cru Côte des Blancs as well. With many small holdings spread over 47 different plots, this idea for the Gräce d'Alphael Non Vintage cuvée with the idea that these small plots will be picked at optimal maturity at harvest and separate microvinification to offer the possibility to make a single aromatic expression of Chardonnay, for each cuvée.
- Item #: i_378663Bottle Size: 750MLThe champagne Spécial Club 2010 from PIERRE GIMONNET & FILS is a great champagne. Its terroir is the greatest of the House, and the ultimate vintage. This 100% Chardonnay champagne is elaborated from a precise blend of the oldest vines (more than 40 years old), with a majority of Cramant Grand Cru. Vintage Cuvée "Special Club" 2010 offers a great balanced between its various Chadonnay origins, with a weak sugar dosage (5 grs per liter). But this mainly Cramant cuvée perfectly expresses this style : very complex with a great elegance ans fineness.
- Item #: i_377863Bottle Size: 750mlThough situated in the Montagne de Reims village of Ludes this small artisan house has developed a variety of outstanding Chardonnay sources in the Cote des Blancs including the Grand Cru villages of Cramant, Oger, and Mesnil-sur-Oger. This 2008 could be their best rendition to date.
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS-"Lemon and grapefruit tightly cut into place with powerful acidity and lots of lemon citrus on the nose as well as grilled hazelnuts. The palate has impressively deep-set citrus flavors, and refreshing layers build with terrific depth, power and nutty warmth."
- Item #: i_374666Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 91James Suckling: 94"What is perhaps most impressive about Pol Roger's vintage wines is that while they definitely exhibit a distinct personality, adhering closely to the house's style, they are also extremely transparent in regards to expressing vintage character. These are Champagnes of renowned longevity, and stocking vintage Pol Roger away in the cellar is always a wise move." - Peter Leim, Champagneguide.net
Widely regarded as one of the best Champagne vintages of the Century (rivaled only by 2002 and 2008) the 2012 harvest produced smaller than normal yields of generally pristine fruit marked with exceptional flavor concentration. Pol Roger was particularly successful in 2012 as the reviews below attest. To our knowledge our pricing is the lowest on the web for in stock merchandise. We suggest a quick response as this is a one-time direct import-offer that is limited to current inventory, so once these gems are gone, they are gone for good.
TYSON STELZER-THE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 96 POINTS - "(disgorged 26 March 2018; 100% Côte des Blancs grand crus: Avize, Oiry, Chouilly, Cramant, Oger; 7g/L dosage). For a house once led by Pinot Noir, Pol Roger is increasingly focusing on Chardonnay in its vintage wines, and recent vintages of its Blanc de Blancs demonstrate why. The 2012 proudly joins its greatest hits, alongside 2002 and 2008. This cuvée has been on allocation for some years, and the house has made the call to release 2012 after just five years on lees (2008 had a little under six years, 2006 had eight and 2002 had nine). Testimony to the molecular precision of Pol Roger’s exacting regime, the propensity of this cuvée to age is astonishing, and the best vintages keep on escalating every time I come back to them. With a bright, medium straw hue, this is a thrilling blanc de blancs that sings with the finesse of the house in exacting purity and drive to contrast grand cru concentration. It delicately sets beautiful yellow peach and lemon fruit against a dizzying shard of pure acidity. The finish surges onward amid powerful, crashing waves of salt minerality that glide long and strong up an endless beach of glistening white purity. (2020-2021)"
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Such wonderful transparency and clarity in its nature with lightly cooked apples and chalk. Some white pepper. Full body. Totally integrated fruit and acidity and a long and flavorful finish. Love the brightness. Drink now."
VINOUS WINE MEDIA 91 POINTS - "The 2012 Brut Blanc de Blancs is another attractive Champagne in this trio of 2012s from Pol Roger. Ample and creamy, the 2012 is super-expressive today, with plenty of apricot, brioche, baked apple tart and toasty character. An initial burst of exuberance gives way to greater refinement over time. This is very nicely done."
- Item #: i_374372Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The NV Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru is a striking wine, and frankly one of the best wines I have ever tasted from Coutier. Pure Blanc de Blancs is unusual in Ambonnay, where Pinot plays the leading role. Coutier’s NV presents an intriguing combination of the richness that is typical of Ambonnay married to deep, expressive varietal Chardonnay fruit. Smoke, ash and crushed rocks are all layered into the energetic, vibrant finish. This is a flat-out delicious, utterly joyous Champagne from Coutier."
Coutier can certainly make a strong claim as Ambonnay’s value king. In addition to offing plenty of “bang of the buck,” Coutier is notable for their use of Chardonnay in this fabled bastion of Pinot Noir. In fact, proprietor René Coutier’s father was the very first vigneron to plant Chardonnay in the village back in 1946. Today, about a third of the domaine’s 23 acres of vines are planted to this noble white grape. Compared to the Côtes des Blancs, the soil of Ambonnay has a higher ratio of clay to chalk, a factor that imparts an appealing richness to this Chardonnay Champagne. This bottling is based on the 2009 vintage with 40% reserve wine and was fermented entirely in stainless steel with full malolactic fermentation. The result is a very showy and accessible Champagne that received this recent rave from the Wine Advocate.
- Item #: i_376129Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 9055% Chardonnay, 45% Pinot Noir
100% estate-fruit from Ambonnay, one of the largest Grand Cru villages.
It is a beautifully made rosé that offers up gorgeous signature notes of red fruit, brioche and the complex soil tones of Ambonnay fruit.