- Item #: i_350643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90 - 92 POINTS "The 2016 Côte de Nuits-Villages finished its malolactic fermenation earlier than its siblings this year, and so it was racked in June. It has a gorgeous and pure bouquet of dark berry fruit, a hint of soy and mineral, all beautifully defined. The palate is medium-bodied with more red fruit than the Bourgogne Pinot Noir but, again, silky smooth in texture with startling panache and focus on the finish. What a fabulous wine."
BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS, OUTSTANDING TOP VALUE - "This is aromatically similar to the Bourgogne but with notably better complexity. The delicious, succulent and generously proportioned flavors possess a caressing mouthfeel where the fine depth flashed by the nose is also present on the finish. Lovely stuff that should offer much pleasure young but should also be capable of rewarding 5 to 7 years of cellaring too."
- Item #: i_350645Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Les Evocelles seems to have a natural swagger about it. Nothing ostentatious here, just a wine seemingly comfortable in its own skin with blackberry and crushed strawberry scents mixed with wet limestone. The palate is brimming with pure red fruit, just pure pinoté, just a joy from start to finish. I could have eloped with the barrel sample. Then again, that would not have pleased Denis."
- Item #: i_350604Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux was not affected by frost and yielded a good quantity to the surprise of Arnaud Mortet —30 hectoliters per hectare. Matured with 50% whole bunch and up to 70% new oak, it has a generous, almost peppermint-tinged bouquet with great vigor and vivacity. The palate is medium-bodied with ripe tannin, good weight and plenty of blood orange-tinged black fruit. It is slightly attenuated right on the finish but this should flesh out once in bottle. This is how to make a great Les Champeaux."
- Item #: i_351796Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Piercing and pure, with pear, green apple and green almond notes carried by a sleek, minerally edge. Shows juiciness along the edges and flashes of honeysuckle and bitter almond in the background. Drink now through 2033."
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.
- Item #: i_351626Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "A beautifully layered nose offers up notes of liqueur-like plum, warm earth and a lovely array of spice and floral elements. The exceptionally rich and generously proportioned flavors are unusually seductive in the context of what is typical for the appellation, all wrapped in a velvety, sappy and palate coating finish where a hint of wood appears. This too should drink well young."
WINE ADVOVCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was perhaps the one grand cru that I felt was a little disjointed and did not quite deliver the vivacity of the Chapelle-Chambertin or Latricières. It includes 40% whole bunch fruit and was depleted by 30% because of the frost, but it just came across a little dolorous at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little foursquare and conservative and just needs more of the flamboyance and blue fruit you associate with this vineyard. Maybe this Bonnes-Mares just got stage fright on the day I visited? They’ve done it! “What have they done, exactly," you rightfully ask. Well, Drouhin-Laroze has finally produced a clutch of wines commensurate with their stellar array of holdings. Without wishing any disrespect to Philippe Drouhin, since first encountering their wines in the late nineties, myself and other mavens felt that they were a bit 'over-produced.' Maybe picked too late? Certainly they were often burdened with an excessive use of new oak that obfuscated terroir, and when you have half a dozen grand crus under your wing, that is a shame."
- Item #: i_351884Bottle Size: 750mlThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. This village wine is from three parcels of about one hectare total size that are planted to vines of more than sixty years of age. The two primary parcels are in “Plantes Aux Barons” (.40 hectare) and “Charbonnieres” (.60 hectare), both of which are in Prémeaux on its northern border with Nuits. These low-yielding old vines produce a concentrated and classic Nuits.
- Item #: i_308564Bottle Size: 750MLThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. One of the first estates to grace our portfolio (in 1982), we began our work with this gem in the village of Vosne Romanée when Jean Forey, the father of Régis, was the reigning vigneron. We had been introduced to Monsieur Forey by Claudette Amiot, wife of Bernard Amiot, our very first grower contact in the Cote de Nuits. We have been working with the Forey domaine ever since our initial visit when we purchased the wines from the 1980 vintage for export to the USA. The 1987 vintage marked the entry of Régis into the domaine on a full-time basis and he became fully responsible for all aspects of production and winemaking with the 1989 vintage. In contrast to the wines of his father, who produced seductive wines of finesse and delicacy, Régis expresses a more masculine personality as his wines show exceptional concentration and depth. ROSENTHAL WINE MERCHANT
- Item #: i_351806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 Points"If you don't know about Domaine Giraud, you're missing out." - Jeb Dunnuck
"Savvy consumers should search them out" - Wine Advocate
"This is the greatest young vintage from the Southern Rhone Valley I've ever tasted, both in terms of quality as well as consistency" - Jeb Dunnuck
We are thrilled to offer an amazing Chateauneuf du Pape from Domaine Giraud. Domaine Giraud is one of the brightest stars of this famous appellation and produced some of the greatest wines in the world from the 2016 vintage. They are surprisingly accessible in their youth yet have the ability to age as well. These high scoring, delicious Rhone wines are full-bodied and deeply fruited. They display a stunning level of purity and incredible balance that set them apart.
The winemaking sister and brother team of Marie and Francois Giraud have been farming organically since 2008 after taking over the day to day operation of the winery from their father. Famed enologist Philippe Cambie consults for the winery, which boast incredible vineyard holdings.
The Domaine Giraud "Tradition" is comprised of 60% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 5% Mourvedre with the grapes averaging close to 70 years of age. This is a fantastic wine at an outstanding price with noted Rhone critic Jeb Dunnuck urging, "Buy a case of this, trust me."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the base 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a blockbuster, and this is one of those cases where you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of the special cuvées when this wine is so good. Maire describes the 2016 vintage as a mix of the 2010 and 2007 vintages, and I can’t disagree. This beautiful 2016 offers a terrific nose of black raspberries, garrigue, and peppered meat in a full-bodied, ripe, incredibly sexy, seamless style. It has a boatload of tannins, and despite its intensity and richness, is still elegant and seamless. Buy a case of this, trust me."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Enticing, with bright, engaging raspberry, cherry and red currant fruit infused with gently roasted sandalwood and apple wood, garrigue and licorice root notes. A swath of tobacco underscores the finish, giving this an old-school hint."
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_351279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Clos des Prouges was cropped at a mere 29 hectoliters per hectare this year, and it's a little more fleshy and exotic in profile, bursting with aromas of spring flowers, orange zest, peaches and fresh pastry. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and rich, with succulent balancing acids and a long, fragrant finish. It's a bit more precocious than usual and will drink well out of the gates."
- Item #: i_351283Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Tournant de Pouilly is one of the more reserved wines in the portfolio, unfurling reluctantly in the glass with notes of ripe lemons, yellow orchard fruit and pastry cream. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and dense, with considerable concentration and substance, balanced by the bright acids that this domaine seems so unfailingly to capture. This has considerable aging potential and will demand two or three years' patience."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "This cuvée hails from one hectare of old vines in an east-facing climat near the hamlet of Pouilly. A sweet bouquet of confit citrus, yellow orchard fruit, fresh almonds and orange zest is followed by a full-bodied, vibrant palate with an almost electric sense of energy, lovely depth at the core, and a long, pure finish. This is beautifully bright, yet also clearly the product of ripe grapes."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A pungent combination offers up strong notes of petrol where additional breadth is present in the form of essence of white orchard fruit and oak toast. The mouth feel of the equally sized flavors is slightly more refined yet there is fine concentration and punch on the bitter lemon-inflected finish. This needs a few years to better harmonize and to develop better depth but the underlying material appears to be present such that it should progressively improve."
- Item #: i_351495Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 90 POINTS - "Spice-accented cherry and dark berry aromas are complemented by suggestions of violet, olive and cracked pepper. Spicy, energetic and sharply focused on the palate, offering bitter cherry and floral pastille flavors that open up slowly with air. Silky tannins frame the finish, which shows firm closing thrust and good persistence."
- Item #: i_344302Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Including many of the frosted lieux-dits that Roty normally bottle separately, the 2016 Marsannay unfurls in the glass with a deep bouquet of cassis, dark chocolate, grilled game and espresso roast. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, velvety and nicely concentrated, with excellent depth at the core and a long, penetrating finish. It's a decidedly superior Marsannay from Roty."
- Item #: i_334309Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90+Burghound: 91WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "Aromas of cassis, rich loamy soil, espresso roast and incense introduce the 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Champs-Chenys Vieilles Vignes, a medium to full-bodied wine that's quite firm and tangy this year, displaying impressive depth of fruit but also structuring acids and tannins that will require some bottle age."
- Item #: i_352530Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90+WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur Bas offers up aromas of cherries, plums, spices and forest floor, framed by a subtle touch of toasty new oak. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, chalky and firm, with good concentration but a tauter, more linear profile than the 2017 rendition. It will demand some time."
- Item #: i_352652Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS: "There are merely 1,400 magnums of the 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Vignes de la Côte, but it is a fabulous wine that will be worth every effort to track down. Unfurling in the glass with notes of honeycomb, crisp yellow orchard fruits, waxy lemon rind, nutmeg and subtle touches of praline and sesame, it's full-bodied, ample and enveloping, with stunningly satiny texture, a deep, multidimensional core and a bright line of acidity that defines the long and penetrating finish."
- Item #: i_344226Bottle Size: 500MLWine Spectator: 90The ancient art of Banyuls is disappearing at a frightening pace. One of its great champions and longest-standing practitioners is the wonderful, charismatic Vincent Cantié. He is the spirit of Catalan culture personified, and he makes the best Banyuls money can buy. Made from ripe Grenache picked from steep, stony hillsides above the Mediterranean on the Spanish border, Banyuls is muted with neutral alcohol to stop fermentation and preserve some residual sugar to produce a glorious after-dinner drink. Its best friend is probably a walnut tart or a flourless chocolate cake. Thomas Jefferson loved Banyuls and so can you.