- Item #: i_350600Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A discreet application of wood sets off an earthy array of red and dark currant scents. The sleek, vibrant and utterly delicious medium weight flavors exhibit good minerality on the balanced, refreshing and lingering finish. This is also very good and a wine that should drink well in its youth if that's your preference."
- Item #: i_351796Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Piercing and pure, with pear, green apple and green almond notes carried by a sleek, minerally edge. Shows juiciness along the edges and flashes of honeysuckle and bitter almond in the background. Drink now through 2033."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.
- Item #: i_351626Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "A beautifully layered nose offers up notes of liqueur-like plum, warm earth and a lovely array of spice and floral elements. The exceptionally rich and generously proportioned flavors are unusually seductive in the context of what is typical for the appellation, all wrapped in a velvety, sappy and palate coating finish where a hint of wood appears. This too should drink well young."
WINE ADVOVCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was perhaps the one grand cru that I felt was a little disjointed and did not quite deliver the vivacity of the Chapelle-Chambertin or Latricières. It includes 40% whole bunch fruit and was depleted by 30% because of the frost, but it just came across a little dolorous at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little foursquare and conservative and just needs more of the flamboyance and blue fruit you associate with this vineyard. Maybe this Bonnes-Mares just got stage fright on the day I visited? They’ve done it! “What have they done, exactly," you rightfully ask. Well, Drouhin-Laroze has finally produced a clutch of wines commensurate with their stellar array of holdings. Without wishing any disrespect to Philippe Drouhin, since first encountering their wines in the late nineties, myself and other mavens felt that they were a bit 'over-produced.' Maybe picked too late? Certainly they were often burdened with an excessive use of new oak that obfuscated terroir, and when you have half a dozen grand crus under your wing, that is a shame."
- Item #: i_351462Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 91 PointsDECANTER 91 POINTS - "This Poulsard, only in its second vintage, comes from the Monteiller, Au Bari, Lonchamp and Aux Loges vineyards leased from Jacques Puffeney. It has a touch of funk and spice on the nose, alongside red apple, cherry and herbal hints. The palate is gently sweet, with ripe cherry and red hedgerow fruits balanced by elegant acidity and some creamy notes. Fragrant strawberry and subtle black pepper come through on the fine, long finish. This packs a lot of depth into a light-coloured, light-bodied package, making it a fascinating and delicious wine for the summer months, and a solid alternative to Dolcetto, Frappato or Gamay for those looking to expand their wine horizons."
- Item #: i_351884Bottle Size: 750mlThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. This village wine is from three parcels of about one hectare total size that are planted to vines of more than sixty years of age. The two primary parcels are in “Plantes Aux Barons” (.40 hectare) and “Charbonnieres” (.60 hectare), both of which are in Prémeaux on its northern border with Nuits. These low-yielding old vines produce a concentrated and classic Nuits.
- Item #: i_308564Bottle Size: 750MLThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. One of the first estates to grace our portfolio (in 1982), we began our work with this gem in the village of Vosne Romanée when Jean Forey, the father of Régis, was the reigning vigneron. We had been introduced to Monsieur Forey by Claudette Amiot, wife of Bernard Amiot, our very first grower contact in the Cote de Nuits. We have been working with the Forey domaine ever since our initial visit when we purchased the wines from the 1980 vintage for export to the USA. The 1987 vintage marked the entry of Régis into the domaine on a full-time basis and he became fully responsible for all aspects of production and winemaking with the 1989 vintage. In contrast to the wines of his father, who produced seductive wines of finesse and delicacy, Régis expresses a more masculine personality as his wines show exceptional concentration and depth. ROSENTHAL WINE MERCHANT
- Item #: i_351806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 Points"If you don't know about Domaine Giraud, you're missing out." - Jeb Dunnuck
"Savvy consumers should search them out" - Wine Advocate
"This is the greatest young vintage from the Southern Rhone Valley I've ever tasted, both in terms of quality as well as consistency" - Jeb Dunnuck
We are thrilled to offer an amazing Chateauneuf du Pape from Domaine Giraud. Domaine Giraud is one of the brightest stars of this famous appellation and produced some of the greatest wines in the world from the 2016 vintage. They are surprisingly accessible in their youth yet have the ability to age as well. These high scoring, delicious Rhone wines are full-bodied and deeply fruited. They display a stunning level of purity and incredible balance that set them apart.
The winemaking sister and brother team of Marie and Francois Giraud have been farming organically since 2008 after taking over the day to day operation of the winery from their father. Famed enologist Philippe Cambie consults for the winery, which boast incredible vineyard holdings.
The Domaine Giraud "Tradition" is comprised of 60% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 5% Mourvedre with the grapes averaging close to 70 years of age. This is a fantastic wine at an outstanding price with noted Rhone critic Jeb Dunnuck urging, "Buy a case of this, trust me."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the base 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a blockbuster, and this is one of those cases where you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of the special cuvées when this wine is so good. Maire describes the 2016 vintage as a mix of the 2010 and 2007 vintages, and I can’t disagree. This beautiful 2016 offers a terrific nose of black raspberries, garrigue, and peppered meat in a full-bodied, ripe, incredibly sexy, seamless style. It has a boatload of tannins, and despite its intensity and richness, is still elegant and seamless. Buy a case of this, trust me."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Enticing, with bright, engaging raspberry, cherry and red currant fruit infused with gently roasted sandalwood and apple wood, garrigue and licorice root notes. A swath of tobacco underscores the finish, giving this an old-school hint."
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_351279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Clos des Prouges was cropped at a mere 29 hectoliters per hectare this year, and it's a little more fleshy and exotic in profile, bursting with aromas of spring flowers, orange zest, peaches and fresh pastry. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and rich, with succulent balancing acids and a long, fragrant finish. It's a bit more precocious than usual and will drink well out of the gates."
- Item #: i_351283Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Tournant de Pouilly is one of the more reserved wines in the portfolio, unfurling reluctantly in the glass with notes of ripe lemons, yellow orchard fruit and pastry cream. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and dense, with considerable concentration and substance, balanced by the bright acids that this domaine seems so unfailingly to capture. This has considerable aging potential and will demand two or three years' patience."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "This cuvée hails from one hectare of old vines in an east-facing climat near the hamlet of Pouilly. A sweet bouquet of confit citrus, yellow orchard fruit, fresh almonds and orange zest is followed by a full-bodied, vibrant palate with an almost electric sense of energy, lovely depth at the core, and a long, pure finish. This is beautifully bright, yet also clearly the product of ripe grapes."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A pungent combination offers up strong notes of petrol where additional breadth is present in the form of essence of white orchard fruit and oak toast. The mouth feel of the equally sized flavors is slightly more refined yet there is fine concentration and punch on the bitter lemon-inflected finish. This needs a few years to better harmonize and to develop better depth but the underlying material appears to be present such that it should progressively improve."
- Item #: i_352231Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 97 PointsDECANTER 97 POINTS - "There is no better way to develop an understanding of the different expressions of the single vineyard sites of Côte-Rôtie than by tasting from barrel in Jean-Paul Jamet's underground bunker - especially in a vintage like 2016. 'You smell the terroir first in 2016; in 2015, you smell the vintage first,' he says. Whereas his wonderful 2015 has a lush, easy-going charm, the 2016 is more tailored and precise. Moving from Les Lezards to Gerine, then Fongeant, Le Plomb and La Landonne, each barrel has its own marked character. It's clear that this is an elegant vintage, not hugely powerful but detailed and complex.Drinking Window 2022 - 2036."
VINOUS 95-97, JEB DUNNUCK 94-96, WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94
- Item #: i_344302Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Including many of the frosted lieux-dits that Roty normally bottle separately, the 2016 Marsannay unfurls in the glass with a deep bouquet of cassis, dark chocolate, grilled game and espresso roast. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, velvety and nicely concentrated, with excellent depth at the core and a long, penetrating finish. It's a decidedly superior Marsannay from Roty."
- Item #: i_334309Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90+Burghound: 91WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "Aromas of cassis, rich loamy soil, espresso roast and incense introduce the 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Champs-Chenys Vieilles Vignes, a medium to full-bodied wine that's quite firm and tangy this year, displaying impressive depth of fruit but also structuring acids and tannins that will require some bottle age."
- Item #: i_352530Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90+WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur Bas offers up aromas of cherries, plums, spices and forest floor, framed by a subtle touch of toasty new oak. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, chalky and firm, with good concentration but a tauter, more linear profile than the 2017 rendition. It will demand some time."
- Item #: i_344226Bottle Size: 500MLWine Spectator: 90The ancient art of Banyuls is disappearing at a frightening pace. One of its great champions and longest-standing practitioners is the wonderful, charismatic Vincent Cantié. He is the spirit of Catalan culture personified, and he makes the best Banyuls money can buy. Made from ripe Grenache picked from steep, stony hillsides above the Mediterranean on the Spanish border, Banyuls is muted with neutral alcohol to stop fermentation and preserve some residual sugar to produce a glorious after-dinner drink. Its best friend is probably a walnut tart or a flourless chocolate cake. Thomas Jefferson loved Banyuls and so can you.
- Item #: i_351266Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A rich style, with lemon cake, apple and sweet spice flavors buoyed by vivid acidity. There is concentration and intensity midpalate, and the finish lingers, concluding on a mineral note. Drink now through 2024. 50 cases imported."
BURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "This is also quite reduced and unreadable. Otherwise there is fine richness to the seductively textured and caressing middle weight flavors that display more obvious minerality on the mildly austere, bone dry and focused finale where a hint of wood surfaces."
- Item #: i_350374Bottle Size: 750mlJON GILMAN 91 POINTS - "Monsieur Vincent noted that the yields here were quite correct in 2016 and the wine was showing quite nicely at the time of my visit, offering up a bright bouquet of apple, touches of tangerine and pink grapefruit, chalky soil tones, spring flowers, fresh almond and a whisper of vanillin oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and zesty, with a fine core, very good cut and grip and a long, nascently complex and energetic finish. Good juice."
BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - "A discreet application of wood easily allows the aromas of acacia blossom, lavender, citrus and the essence of white-fleshed fruit to be appreciated. The caressing and quite refined flavors exude a subtle salinity on the refreshing, firm and sneaky long finale. This should make for a very fine villages with a few years of cellaring."
- Item #: i_351264Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "Enough reduction is present to push the underlying fruit to the background. Otherwise there is a similar sense of energy to the slightly rounder and softer medium-bodied flavors that aren't quite as mineral-driven or complex but do offer fine persistence on the balanced finish. This should be approachable young if desired. This should be approachable young if desired."
- Item #: i_351263Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93BIODYNAMIC
BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "Firm reduction renders the nose impossible to assess today. More interesting are the racy, tight, intense and relatively powerful medium weight flavors that possess first-rate mid-palate concentration thanks to the copious level of dry extract that also buffers the firm core of ripe acidity shaping the admirably long and well-balanced finale. Note that at least some patience will be required."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Combettes has a taut but very focused bouquet that displays more vigor than the Clavoillon, just a subtle touch of hazelnut in the background lending complexity. The palate is very well balanced, very harmonious and more understated than in recent vintages. It just begins to fan out on the last quarter with touches of spice and ginger that linger in the mouth on the aftertaste. I often rate Leflaive's Combettes highly and this is no different."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(the yield here was 30 hectoliters per hectare, according to winemaker Pierre Vincent): More complex and perfumed on the nose than the Clavoillon, offering scents of lemon drop, white peach, wild flowers, herbs and vanillin oak. At once silky and vibrant, with citrus, stone fruit and delicate spicy oak flavors showing a captivating sucrosité. Impeccably balanced wine with perfectly integrated acidity."