- Item #: i_343230Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97JOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS-"I reported on the 2002 Piper-Heidsieck Rare a year ago  and time does not seem to have touched it at all over the last twelve months, for if anything, this particular bottle seemed even younger than last year’s! The wine beautifully synthesizes the ripe fruit of ’02 with great structural integrity and seems likely to drink at its peak for at least another twenty years. The bouquet is a pure, complex blend of apple, white peach, a touch of leesiness, a great base of soil, fresh-baked bread, a touch of citrus peel and an overtly smoky topnote. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, crisp and superbly detailed, with a fine core of fruit, elegant mousse, bright acids and excellent backend mineral drive on the long, vibrant and very classy finish. 2016- 2035+.
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "A powerhouse, with verve to the finely cut, racy acidity, showing a sense of finesse and seamless integration of the firm frame. The silky texture carries layer upon layer of toasted brioche, currant and pear pâte de fruit flavors, with notes of grated ginger and coconut, cappuccino foam and spun honey. Mineral accents of smoke, ground spice and fleur de sel build on the long, echoing finish. Drink now through 2032."
For the seventh consecutive year Chef de Cave Regis Camus of Piper-Heidsieck has walked away with the prestigious International Wine Challenge’s Sparkling Winemaker of the Year Award. It seems only fitting that Champagne’s most awarded Winemaker would be the mind behind this year’s top Champagne release. Since joining Piper-Heidsieck in 1994, Camus has shepherded the house to great acclaim thanks to his expert blending skills, attention to detail and passion for quality. Over the years we have developed an acute suspicion of ornately packaged wines (and boy is this tête de cuvée ever dressed to the nines); however, this is definitely one of those rare instances where the Champagne is as lustrous as its gilded label. As the notes below attest, this Piper Rare ranks with the best of the best from the great Champagne class of 2002. It goes without saying that this handsomely adorned treasure would make a most impressive executive gift.
- Item #: i_373648Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS- "The 1999 Ployez-Jacquemart 'Liesse d’Harbonville' is its customary blend of seventy percent Chardonnay and thirty percent Pinot Noir, with all of the vins clairs barrel-fermented and aged for six months in the cellars in two and three year-old barrels. The wine does not undergo malolactic fermentation and is aged for more than twelve years on the lees prior to disgorgement. The 1999 bottling offers up a deep and very classy nose of pear, delicious apple, buttery overtones from the oak, brioche, crème patissière, complex minerality, a bit of hazelnut and a topnote of gentle smokiness. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied and very racy (from its non-malo personality), with a great core of fruit, broad shoulders (from the ’99 vintage’s ripeness), very refined mousse and stunning complexity on the very long, poised and perfectly balanced finish. The ripeness of 1999 is mostly felt here in terms of the breadth of the attack and the rock solid nature of the wine in the mid-palate, but I also get the sense that this fine vintage of Liesse d’Harbonville will mature on a faster track than wines such as the 1995 or 1996, and will probably be at its apogee within the next three or our years. It is a stellar example of the ’99 vintage. 2016-2025+. (May/Jun 2014)"
- Item #: i_374666Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 94 POINTS- The 2008 Pol Roger Brut Millésime is a beautiful wine in the making, with the depth and structure to carry it far into the future, but also a wine that is strongly deserving of at least another five years in the cellar to truly blossom. The wine is a blend of sixty percent Pinot Noir and forty percent Chardonnay, with all of the fruit hailing from grand cru villages on the Montagne de Reims and Côte des Blancs. The wine spent eight years aging sur latte prior to disgorgement, but Pol Roger does not give information of the date of disgorgement or the finishing dosage. The bouquet on the wine is terrific, offering up a very complex blend of apple, white peach, a touch of fresh nutmeg, brioche, smoke, dried flowers and superb minerality. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, complex and absolutely rock solid at the core, with refined mousse, impeccable focus and balance, and impressive grip on the long and zesty finish. This is already easy to drink, but it is still a puppy and I would try to not touch a bottle for another five years..." (05/17)
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS"Attractive red berries, nectarines and biscuity notes with a hint of spice, too, and a sweet-smelling freshness to it. The palate delivers a very attractive and concentrated array of yellow stone fruit flavors. Smooth and creamy, sorbet-like finish. Drink now or age." (10/2017)
- Item #: i_354430Bottle Size: 750MLThis is a classic blend of 35% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir and 30% Pinot Meunier that is fashioned in a light, frothy style. Its nose has a wonderful bready quality with just a hint of toastiness from the cuvee's reserve stocks. The palate offers an appealing play of peach and pear flavors that are nicely elaborated with nougat and soft citrus tones. In keeping with Pommery's house style, the finish is on the dry end of the Brut range but is not sharp or overtly austere. This then is a Champagne of considerable delicacy and nuance that should appeal to both Champagne novices and aficionados alike.
- Item #: i_325394Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS-R. H. Coutier is one of my favorite Grower-Récoltants and their new release of their non-vintage cuvée “Tradition” is (again) a blend of seventy percent Pinot Noir and thirty percent Chardonnay, with this year’s iteration based on the superb 2009 vintage. The bouquet on the new release is outstanding, wafting from the glass in a mix of baked apples, hazelnuts, beautifully complex, Ambonnay soil tones, wheat bread, caraway seed and a delicate touch of lavender in the upper register. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied and still quite youthful, with a fine core of fruit, lovely focus and grip, bright acids, elegant mousse and a very long, nascently complex and snappy finish. This is a beautiful bottle of non-vintage Brut, but it really needs at least a year or two in the cellar to start to blossom on the palate. As I have said in the past, for those who liked the older style of Bollinger’s non-vintage Brut, the Coutier bottling is once again a very worthy substitute in that style."
- Item #: i_325451Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS-"Rich, creamy and radiant, the 2009 Cristal captures all of the natural generosity of the vintage while also retaining a good bit of freshness and aromatic intensity. Immediate and totally sensual in its allure, the 2009 will drink well with minimal cellaring. All things considered, at this stage, the 2009 comes across as relatively restrained for a wine from a warm year."
- Item #: i_373782Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 89 POINTS-"Coulon's NV Brut Heri-Hodie is from a "réserve perpétuelle" and blends 60% Pinot Meunier with 20% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir. The white-golden colored wine has a very delicate, elegant and fruity Meunier bouquet of red berries. The wine shows remarkable finesse and elegance on the palate and is perfectly round, delicate, very fruity and charming but dry and always stimulating. This is nearly dominated by its Meunier part. Dosed with six grams per liter, this is absolutely delicious and filigreed but with aromatic and well-structured length. So delicate and fruity! Bottled in April 2014 and disgorged in November 2017."
A Grower Champagne with incredibly giving with toasty aromas and a very delicate bead. At the same time, with enough full structure to carry you through a meal. It is especially fine for warm hors d'oeuvres and soft cheeses like St. André.
- Item #: i_379881Bottle Size: 750ml2015 wine base in alliance with 2013 2014 wine reserve.
We endeavor to improve the living soils of our vineyards by continually observing interaction between soil, plant and climate. The study of soil profiles by plot provide a better understanding of their diversity and influences the evolution of our work.
From our gentle methods, tartrate crystals may form. This natural phenomenon has no effect on the quality of the wine.
- Item #: i_364530Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS - "Taittinger’s “la Française” bottling of non-vintage Brut is the same cépages as the wine above [i.e. forty percent Chardonnay and a sixty percent mix of Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier], but spend an additional year aging on its fine lees prior to disgorgement, so effectively, this is one year older for its base vintage. I do wish that Taittinger would join with Grandes Marques such as Charles Heidsieck and provide more technical details on their back label, as it would be nice to know the dosage and the date of disgorgement. In any case, the bouquet on the current  release of la Française is excellent, wafting from the glass in a vibrant blend of apple, white peach, fresh-baked bread, white flowers, a very good base of soil tones and just a hint of the smokiness to come with further bottle age. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, crisp 69 and rock solid at the core, with elegant mousse, excellent focus and grip, fine acidity and a long, complex finish. The extra year on the lees really adds mid-palate depth and palate presence here vis à vis the Brut Réserve. As I have mentioned in the past, the dosage for this bottling has decreased noticeably in the last few years and the wine is all the better for it, as there is a mineral precision on the backend today that is exemplary! 2016-2035."
- Item #: i_364490Bottle Size: 1.5LWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A mouthwatering version, with a fine, lacy mousse and delicate flavors of poached apple, blackberry, beeswax and lemon confit underscored by a streak of smoky minerality that echoes on the finish. Drink now through 2019."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Tasted from a half bottle, the rich and complex flavors of Brut La Francaise show just that extra touch of maturity. The wine has peach and almond flavors that contrast well with the taut, nervy edge. It's full in the mouth and ripe, and works well both as an aperitif and a food Champagne."
- Item #: i_379996Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93In 1810, Madame Clicquot invented the first Vintage Champagne, in 2012 Veuve Clicquot declared the 66th vintage of the Maison. With grapes exclusively from Grands and Premiers Crus, Pinot Noir dominates the blend (51%) and provides the structure that is so typically Clicquot, followed by Chardonnay (34%) that adds finesse and elegance essential in a perfectly balanced wine, and then Meunier (15%) that rounds out the blend. The uniqueness of the Vintage 2012 lies in the addition of 11% of wines aged in large wooden casks (foudres), bringing strength and aromatic intensity. The cask-aged wines act as spices to the blend, bringing very lightly woody, vanilla and toasted aromas.
"On the palate, the attack is fresh and frank. Then appear the first aromas of fruits with mirabelle tart, candied citrus and roasted pears notes. Finally, refreshing notes of green hazelnuts and almonds arise."
- Item #: i_317750Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-"This famous Yellow Label is is in great shape with a really fresh and complex integrated feel to it from head to toe. The nose has plenty of lemon and grapefruit citrus, as well as lightly toasted hazelnuts and ripe, summery fruits. On the palate it has the trademark assertive style, some useful cut and plenty of lemon biscuit flavor. A great all-rounder: Drink now. (11/16)."
- Item #: i_317740Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Well-knit and balanced, with vibrant acidity framing hints of blackberry, white cherry, biscuit, honey and candied lemon zest. Offers a lightly smoky finish."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "One of the most familiar of Champagnes, the Yellow Label is finely made—a fruity while structured wine. It has both fresh and fragrant fruit as well as richness, a soft, creamy texture and bright acidity. There is no sense in bottle aging here—drink this wine because of its crispness."
- Item #: i_375217Bottle Size: 750mlVeuve Clicquot Rich is the first champagne inspired by mixology. Veuve Clicquot Rich is best enjoyed over ice with fresh ingredients, including grapefruit, cucumber and even pepper.
In the history of Champagne, wines that were blended for greater sweetness were customarily described as “rich". Even the 1840s bottles of Veuve Clicquot found recently in the Aland Islands have over 150 grams per liter of sugar. Today Veuve Clicquot propels this tradition into the contemporary era with RICH, a champagne dedicated to mixology.
- Item #: i_375317Bottle Size: 750mlIn the history of Champagne, wines that were blended for greater sweetness were customarily described as “rich". Even the 1840s bottles of Veuve Clicquot found recently in the Aland Islands have over 150 grams per liter of sugar. Historically in Russia, consumers would add sugar to their champagne, thus adding a personal touch to their wine.
Today Veuve Clicquot propels this tradition into the contemporary era with "Rich" and "Rich Rose" dedicated to mixology. Bringing a cocktail spirit to a House already known for audacity and innovation, Veuve Clicquot RICH is an invitation to enrich the tasting experience with The Clicquot twist.
Veuve Clicquot Rich Rosé is the first champagne inspired by mixology. Veuve Clicquot Rich Rosé is best enjoyed over ice with fresh ingredients, including grapefruit, cucumber and even pepper.
- Item #: i_375348Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS-"Firm and tangy, with a tight bead and kumquat and melon flavors married to a minerally base note and accents of toast, yellow plum, grated ginger and lemon zest. Drink now. 616 cases imported."
ANTONIO GALLONI 88 POINTS-"The NV Grande Réserve Brut 1er Cru is a good introduction to the wines of Veuve Fourny & Fils. Rich, ample and explosive, the Grand Reserve offers plenty of intensity and immediacy, if less of the finesse of some of the other wines in the range. The 20% Pinot Noir adds breadth and volume to the Chardonnay core, but also a certain element of rusticity in the mouthfeel. Dried pear, smoke, red stone fruit and pastry meld into the deep finish. Disgorged: 02/2014."
- Item #: i_377201Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"A blend of 70 percent Pinot Noir and 30 percent Chardonnay, this is fragrant and perfumed, its soft red fruit feeling voluptuous in texture and energetic in tone. This is an excellent version of this cuvée, showing an unusual detail and finesse, and it finishes with long, lively length. Last tasted: 3/17."
- Item #: i_376776Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "A racy, exuberant wine, the 2009 Coeur de Cuvée offers up a super-appealing mélange of apricot, butter, baked apple tart and vanillin. The combination of the ripe, warm vintage along with fermentation and aging in small French oak barrels yielded an especially opulent Coeur de Cuvée with plenty of exotic and tropical overtones. The 2009 will be ready to drink with minimal cellaring."
- Item #: i_376411Bottle Size: 750mlThis new-to-us producer has garnered the top spot on this year’s roster with a late disgorged Champagne that rivals examples from Bollinger and Moët & Chandon for a fraction of the price. Vincent Couche is part of a blossoming of talent taking place in the deep South of Champagne. Like many of his kindred he farms biodynamically. A fifty-fifty blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, the 1999 Sensation Cuvée was left to mature for over 18 years on its yeast. This prolonged and costly regime has resulted in a pale gold Champagne of refined texture that features highly nuanced aromas suggestive of a buttered baguette, candied fruits, hazelnuts and almond butter. The palate is amazingly fresh and light and mirrors the aromatics with a pleasing stone signature and persistent acidity. A prodigious tour de force from a Champagne House to watch.
“Now at its peak, the vintage cuve´e “Sensation 1999” offers you an “intense nose of candied fruits, hazelnut, sweet almond and hot butter. The mouth captures a perfect balance of magnitude and aromatics. As always, there is a crystalline acidity on the finish which marks the purity of all of their Champagnes.”