- Item #: i_378777Bottle Size: 750mlHere is a regal mix of organically farmed Chardonnay from Cramant, Le Mesnil-Sur-Oger, Chouilly, Oiry, and Oger : five villages on the famous Côtes des Blancs with Grand Cru Classé status among the elite 17 (out of all of Champagne's 300 plus crus) that enjoy this distinction These are the fab five crus among which the firm's 20 acres of vines are distributed. The result here is a wine of finesse and precision with fresh, slightly saline flavors, that truly reflect the characteristics of its hallowed terrrior. In the glass the taster is treated to a silky, integrated effervescence that sets off a delightful, resonant play of lemon tinged Granny Smith apples, ruby red grapefruit, and blanched almonds. Here then is a pedigreed Blanc de Blanc that is sure to please the avid Champagne purist with a price that pleases as well.
- Item #: i_376943Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES-"Alphaël, angel of knowledge and light, embodies the pure expression of our Chardonnay Grand Cru: fresh and well balanced, with notes of citrus fruit. With its pale, golden aspect, and glints of emerald, it shimmers with a fine effervescence. The first nose, subtle and elegant, unveils notes of candied quince and a rich mineral essence. It then opens out into flavors of fresh fruit, such as peach, and light notes of orange zest. In the mouth, white flowers lead into the slightly roasted and gingerbread undertone of the finish."
Champagne Philippe Glavier is located in the Grand Cru village of Cramant in the Côte des Blancs. Philippe is a RM (Grower) who founded his winery in 1995 with 3 hectares of Grand Cru vineyards and married Véronique in 2000 who bought with her 1.4 hectares from her families' holdings from Grand Cru Côte des Blancs as well. With many small holdings spread over 47 different plots, this idea for the Gräce d'Alphael Non Vintage cuvée with the idea that these small plots will be picked at optimal maturity at harvest and separate microvinification to offer the possibility to make a single aromatic expression of Chardonnay, for each cuvée.
- Item #: i_352670Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Firm and smoky, this tightly knit Champagne is dense and focused, showing a subtle mix of patisserie apple, toast, plum compote and mandarin orange peel flavors. This should open with some short-term cellaring. Disgorged November 2015. Best from 2017 through 2020. 3,000 cases made."
The corporate changes that have swept through Champagne in recent years seem sure to rob many old houses of their connection to the past. But one small jewel of a house is moving ever closer to its roots: Philipponnat. It is one of the last houses to be run by a member of its founding family. And Charles Philipponnat is a true Champenois, descended from winemakers, cellarmasters and growers dating back nearly 600 years. Champagne is in Charles’ blood, and this helps to explain Philipponnat’s recent resurgence. Twenty years ago, the house was known largely for its iconic Clos des Goisses—the majestic tête de cuvée made from Champagne’s single greatest vineyard. But under Charles, Philipponnat is gaining reverence for its entire portfolio of richly expressive Champagnes.
- Item #: i_352064Bottle Size: 750mlThe Bourgogne Rouge is sourced from vineyards in Fixin and Gevrey-Chambertin, and is matured for 18 months, partially in oak barrels and partially in stainless-steel tanks. Bottled unfined and unfiltered. Wines from Fixin are typified by their robust, tannic, and sometimes “sauvage” character. Soils towards the bottom of the hill tend to be a deeper and heavier mixture of limestone mixed with clay, yielding wines that are beefy and a bit rougher. The premier crus sit further up the hill on homogenous brown limestone and often display more minerality and finesse.
- Item #: i_350401Bottle Size: 750mlPierre Gonon farmed some of Mauve’s best slopes in the heart (some say the birthplace) of the St-Joseph appellation. In 1989, he turned direction of the property over to his sons, Jean and Pierre. This friendly, talented team of brothers has since earned a reputation as the domaine of St-Joseph.
The Gonon brothers farm and ferment in the old-school style. They work their nine hectares of land without any chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides, using all-natural composts.
VINE AGE AVERAGE 100 YEARS
- Item #: i_373500Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Moncuit’s non-vintage Cuvee Pierre Moncuit-Delos Blanc de Blancs Brut is typically a rich, powerful, crisp effort displaying notes of chalk dust, white peaches, subtle bees honey, brioche, and yellow plums. Medium-bodied with gorgeous as well as persistent effervescence, and a dry, fabulously pure, laser-like finish, it should be drunk over the next 3-4 years.90 Points Wine SpectatorThere's a richness to this fresh Champagne, with toast, apple pastry and crystallized honey flavors. This is enlivened by well-integrated acidity and hints of lemon zest and brine, with a minerally finish. Drink now through 2012. 150 cases imported."
JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS - "The new release of Pierre Moncuit’s non-vintage Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs (all from Mesnil fruit) is still a pretty young wine, but it has very good depth and plenty of nascent complexity and will really blossom nicely with a year or two in the bottle. The youthfully fine bouquet offers up scents of pear, delicious apple, incipient notes of pastry cream, chalky minerality, spring flowers and a delicate touch of lemon zest in the upper register. On the palate the wine is medium-full, bright and intensely flavored, with lovely, frothy mousse, fine focus and balance, crisp, beautifully-integrated acids, nascent complexity and fine length and grip on the elegant and still tightly-knit finish. This is not a bad drink today by any means, but it will really open up with another twelve to eighteen months of further bottle age. A fine bottle."
- Item #: i_375676Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90STEPHEN TANZER 91 POINTS - "Light gold, with a faint onion skin cast. Spicy orange zest and honeydew on the fragrant, mineral-accented nose. Dry and tightly focused, offering lively Meyer lemon and melon flavors and a deeper suggestion of nectarine. Finishes with building floral character and excellent tangy persistence, leaving bitter citrus zest and dusty mineral notes behind."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Pierre Paillard's Bouzy Grand Cru Brut (the final name has still to be decided when I tasted it in March 2016) is a 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay blend, based on 2011 (65%) and 2010 (35%) that was disgorged with 3.5 grams per liter in September 2015. The wine is pure and subtle, but intense and fruity on the nose - already indicating remarkable finesse. It also has great finesse and purity on the palate; it is light and mineral, so pretty, and full of tension and character with a persistent finish. There are lemon flavors in the aftertaste."
- Item #: i_353700Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Elegant, with rich base notes of toasted brioche and smoke adding depth, this integrates finely honed acidity, detailed texture and flavors of black cherry puree, apple tarte Tatin, kumquat and grated ginger. Provides a creamy, mineral-tinged finish. Drink now through 2022. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 50,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_325595Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 93 POINTS-"Ployez-Jacquemart’s Extra Brut bottling of Passion is composed of a blend of forty-four percent Pinot Noir, thirty-eight percent Chardonnay and eighteen percent Pinot Meunier, with one-third of the vins clairs barrel-fermented (these wines do not undergo malo) and the other two-thirds raised in tanks. A quarter of each blend is reserve wines and the bottling spends four years aging sur latte prior to disgorgement. The new release of Passion offers up a complex nose of apple, patissière, complex soil tones, smoke, warm biscuits and a dollop of white flowers in the upper register. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and beautifully balanced, with brisk acids, elegant mousse, fine mineral drive, just a touch of oak influence and a very long, focused finish. This is really superb bubbly, with real mid-palate depth and great energy on the finish." (07/17)
- Item #: i_378225Bottle Size: 750mlRemi Leroy is young vigneron in the up and comming Cote des Bars region of Champagne's Aube district. In Meurville, where Remi Leroy grew up and founded his estate, the soils are especially poor and yeilds are naturally low. Remi works hard in the vineyard to take care of his soil and vines without any artifical imput other than a little SO2. The current version of this wine is a blend of 70% vintage 2015 and 30% reserve wines, and is composed of 55% of Pinot Noir and 45% Chardonnay. Its discreet bouquet of wild red berries and finish full of autumn baking spices and a solid zing of clove make for a uniquely balanced wine. Remi used to use only stainless steel but has now incorporated 25% old oak barrels as his fermentation and aging vessels in order to encourage a pure expression of his organic fruit and clean, beautiful yeast. Grown on what is the same limestone and clay soils as France's Chablis region (both Kimmeridgian and Portlandian limestones), it is endowed with richness and power, making it easily mistook for an entirely Chardonnay-based Champagne. It has tremendous length with texture and body that opens the doors on nearly all types of cuisine.
- Item #: i_350612Bottle Size: 750mlThe Domaine Robert-Denogent is a small but tenaciously quality-driven producer of Chardonnay wines based in the Mâconnais village of Fuissé in the warm climate of Southern Burgundy. Situated approximately 70 miles south of the better known Côte d’Or, an area that produces the most celebrated and expensive Burgundy wines, the most famous wine of the Mâcon sub-region is Pouilly Fuissé AOC.
Pouilly-Fuissé Les Reisses "Monopole", a parcel of 0.6 hectares of eighty two year old vines growing on clay soil.
These wines from Robert-Denogent offer quite amazing value with a wonderful richness of white and yellow fruits, intense minerality, great complexity and very good length which is, to be honest, more typical of the best white wines of the Côte de Beaune than the Mâconnais.
- Item #: i_325773Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS -"The new release of Pierre Moncuit’s non-vintage Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs (all from Mesnil fruit) is still a pretty young wine, but it has very good depth and plenty of nascent complexity and will really blossom nicely with a year or two in the bottle. The youthfully fine bouquet offers up scents of pear, delicious apple, incipient notes of pastry cream, chalky minerality, spring flowers and a delicate touch of lemon zest in the upper register. On the palate the wine is medium-full, bright and intensely flavored, with lovely, frothy mousse, fine focus and balance, crisp, beautifully-integrated acids, nascent complexity and fine length and grip on the elegant and still tightly-knit finish. This is not a bad drink today by any means, but it will really open up with another twelve to eighteen months of further bottle age. A fine bottle."
This organically farmed family-run estate is situated in the famed Cote des Blancs Grand Cru village of Le Mesnil-sur-Oger which is also home to Salon and Krug's Clos du Mesnil Champagnes. The firm has a five generation history with Alex Moncuit first planting grapes back in 1889. Today the house, which specializes exclusively in Chardonnay based Champagnes (i.e. Blanc de Blancs), has 20 acres of vines all situated in Le Mesnil. The family tends their plots without the use of pesticides and herbicides and all the fruit is hand-harvested and sorted. Each parcel is vinified separately to optimize blending. All of the wines are fermented and raised in tank, the goal being to enhance contact with the lees. Malolactic fermentation is allowed to happen naturally and the Moncuits never filter or chapitalize. The base vintage for this Brut is 2010 with about 20% reserve added from 2009. Approximately 30% of the cuvée was aged in neutral oak.
- Item #: i_352768Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "A generous bouquet of marzipan and ripe pears that's subtly framed by new wood introduces the 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé En Bertillonne, a medium to full-bodied, deep and muscular wine that's textural and blocky in profile, with ripe underlying acids and a heady finish. Its structure and concentration are impressive, but it will merit a little bottle age."
- Item #: i_352769Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé opens in the glass with an attractive bouquet of confit citrus, Anjou pear and blanched almonds. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and fleshy, with ripe acids, a nicely concentrated core of fruit and good tension at the core despite its expressive profile."
- Item #: i_373782Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 89 POINTS-"Coulon's NV Brut Heri-Hodie is from a "réserve perpétuelle" and blends 60% Pinot Meunier with 20% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir. The white-golden colored wine has a very delicate, elegant and fruity Meunier bouquet of red berries. The wine shows remarkable finesse and elegance on the palate and is perfectly round, delicate, very fruity and charming but dry and always stimulating. This is nearly dominated by its Meunier part. Dosed with six grams per liter, this is absolutely delicious and filigreed but with aromatic and well-structured length. So delicate and fruity! Bottled in April 2014 and disgorged in November 2017."
A Grower Champagne with incredibly giving with toasty aromas and a very delicate bead. At the same time, with enough full structure to carry you through a meal. It is especially fine for warm hors d'oeuvres and soft cheeses like St. André.
- Item #: i_333908Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 92 Points"Unquestionably one of the reference point estates, not only for Gigondas, but for the entire Southern Rhone" - Jeb Dunnuck
"Louis Barruol remains the acknowledged leader of the Gigondas AOC. The vigneron keeps Chateau de St.-Cosme operating on the highest level" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
"These single vineyard releases are year in, year out, some of the most impressive wines from the Rhone valley." - Wine Advocate
We just received a limited allocation from the iconic Rhone producer, Chateau de Saint Cosme. These critically acclaimed wines consistently receive high praise and scores from wine critics. The Wine Advocate, Jeb Dunnuck and Decanter Magazine all weighed in on these amazing wines from the excellent 2016 vintage.
Chateau de Saint Cosme is the leading estate of Gigondas and produces the benchmark wines of the appellation. The property has been in the hands of the Barruol family since 1570. Louis Barruol took over from his father in 1992 making a dramatic shift to quality and converting to biodynamics in 2010.
Barruol makes a classic Gigondas as well as three amazing single vineyard releases from the estate which lies in the heart of Gigondas. The vineyards grow in the shade of the Dentelles de Montmirail Mountains and benefited from the ideal 2016 vintage which boasted warm, dry days balanced by cool nights. The wines are not destemmed and are aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels." These wines are singular and the depth of flavor of these cuvees are truly something to behold.
These are world-class wines and this is a great opportunity to grab a few bottles for the cellar. The highly desirable wines from Saint Cosme are very limited. When they're gone, they're gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS - "Looking first at the base 2016 Gigondas, it’s certainly going to be another outstanding wine from Barruol. Based on 70% Grenache and the rest close to an even split of Syrah and Mourvèdre, it offers classic St Cosme notes of dark fruits, tapenade, pepper and smoked earth. It has plenty of tannin and will need 2-3 years of cellaring and shine for a decade or more. Louis Barruol’s Chateau de Saint Cosme is unquestionably one of the reference point estates in Gigondas, as well as the entire southern Rhône Valley. The estate lies just to the east of the village and covers 25 hectares, with 15 of those in Gigondas. He makes a classic Gigondas as well as four single vine releases from single vineyards located around the estate. The wines are not destemmed and aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Even Saint Cosme's 2016 Gigondas looks built to age. It's full-bodied and firmly tannic but balanced by ripe fruit notes of cherries, peaches and chocolate. (JC) It is always fun to taste with the energetic Louis Barruol in his Roman-era cellar. There seems to be a nearly endless supply of wines to taste, as he now produces five different Gigondas and numerous bottlings under his négociant label."
- Item #: i_334257Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "A touch of quince plays about the rich notes of peach and tangerine on the nose. An aromatic notion of dark fir honey leads onto a medium-sweet palate of ripe peach, zesty tangerine peel, golden mirabelles and lemon. The citrus elements provide a high-toned brightness that works very well with the sweet juiciness and richness of the palate. On the palate it is the wonderfully aromatic zestiness that lasts and lasts."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Just off-dry, this rich, silky white is vibrant, with a firm backbone of acidity and a structural frame that allows the flavors of blood orange granita, candied ginger, white peach and smoky mineral to shine through to the lasting finish. Drink now through 2029."
- Item #: i_352143Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc boasts a lovely nose of toasted grain and pineapple. The wine is medium to full-bodied, with a rich texture that's channeled into a long, lime-sherbet finish. It's a blend of Roussanne and Clairette that I'd suggest consuming over the next couple of years."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Ripe and forward, with enticing pear, yellow apple and green fig flavors, caressed by a light salted butter note. The round, flattering finish has a verbena thread. Drink now through 2019."
- Item #: i_350309Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS "All the 2017s from this estate are brilliant wines, and the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape should be purchased by the case. It offers a ripe, sexy style as well as complex notes of ripe red and black currants, graphite, melted licorice, and incense. With ripe tannins and a layered, elegant texture, it’s a terrific example of the style of the vintage and will keep for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_325578Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOOUND 92 POINTS - Not surpristingly, this is more elegant [than Cuvee Les Cles] with a greater emphasis on citrus and less on yeastiness and this pattern of more refinement at the expense of complexity continues onto the equally crisp and delineated flavors that possess a much more agressive mousse, indeed to the point that the attack is foamy, all wrapped in a delicious finish built on delicacy and finesse...