- Item #: i_350406Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC ESTATE
Domaine Arlaud Père et Fils is a reference point for natural Burgundy wines. The singular experience each organically raised cuvée offers is a revelation for even the most experienced palates.
For more than 20 years we’ve partnered with this domaine in Morey-Saint-Denis, witnessing each vintage the ever-greater clarity of expression the family has been able to achieve in each of their harmonious Burgundy wines. Today the family stands side-by-side with Burgundy’s most respected names, especially distinguishing itself with its dedication to organic viticulture.
The family began to cultivate their vineyards organically in 2004. In 2009, they were inspired to push further, establishing biodynamic viticultural practices across all their holdings. As of the 2014 vintage, the estate will hold both organic and biodynamic certification, the very first estate to do so in Morey-Saint-Denis.
- Item #: i_350529Bottle Size: 750mlFINE WINE REVIEW - "The Volnay, Clos de la Cave has dark fruit aromas and flavors with minerality, medium-weight, and good acidity, length, and structure. 50% whole clusters here. The vines date from five different periods; the youngest are 20 years-old, the oldest 90 years-old, and the average is 45-50 years."
- Item #: i_352503Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Chamfort’s 2016 Côtes-du-Rhône is a traditional blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah and 10% Cinsault from the village of Sablet. Sporting a brilliant deep ruby robe with flashes of violet, this aromatic, juicy wine reminds us of the finest Côtes-du-Rhônes of yesteryear. This tasty red is bright and perky with a nice dash of peppery fruit to complement an enticing bouquet of red fruits, wild berries and violets. All of this reflects Vasco Perdigao’s penchant for organic viticulture and a preference for minimal intervention in winemaking – the very calling cards of the Southern Rhône for centuries.
- Item #: i_353223Bottle Size: 750mlEvelyne de Pontbriand took over her venerable family estate—known historically as the Château des Vaults but now as Domaine du Closel—in 2001 in a career change from teaching French literature. Her mother Michèle de Jessey was a notable figure in the Chenin-only appellation of Savennières, having inherited the estate from her aunt, Madame du Closel; she was devoted to all things Savennières, and even became its president, the first woman to run an AOC.
Evelyne inherited her mother’s passion and technical acuity and now meticulously manages the estate, which comprises 13 hectares of Chenin Blanc (as well as 3 of Cabernets Franc and Sauvignon). The estate was certified organic in 2006 and received full biodynamic certification as of the 2015 vintage. Savennières is a famously unique, intense, savory and structured expression of Chenin Blanc, thanks to the preponderance of schist, a form of slate, in its soils; Evelyne has learned from her 16 years on the job that meticulous, minimal farming and winemaking is the most effective way to convey its essence.
100% Chenin Blanc. La Jalousie is a blend of several parcels of younger (20-year-old) vines planted in schistous soils on gentle hills. Like the rest of the Closel vines, they are biodynamically farmed, low-yielding and harvested by hand. They are the first of the estate to be harvested, when the grapes are pale yellow, crisp and totally healthy. The bunches are direct-pressed, then fermented with native yeasts and a small amount of sulfur in tank. The wine is tank-aged on its lees, without any exposure to air, for 9 months before bottling. Normally, Jalousie doesn't go through malo but in the warm 2018 vintage, it did so. Jalousie is intended to be a modern rendition of Savennières: approachable and fresh in its youth, as a result of not being over-ripened, botrytis-influenced or long- or wood-aged.
- Item #: i_333216Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90-92JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS: "The largest production effort is the 2016 Saint Joseph Silice, which offers lots of blackberry jam, Asian spice, and peppered meat aromas and flavors. This ripe, sexy, beautifully textured 2016 is going to be another terrific value for the true wine lovers and drinkers out there. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_345247Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93BIODYNAMICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Beaurenard has excelled this vintage. The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is no slouch, with ample richness, bold cherry and apricot fruit and attractive hints of dried spices and garrigue. Complex, full-bodied and supple, it finishes long and silky. It's two-thirds Grenache Noir, with the rest composed of the 17 other permitted grape varieties."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "nicely packed, with raspberry and plum compote flavors at the core, liberally lined with singed alder, tobacco and warm brick accents. The finish has a grippy edge, but this red stays fresh and driven overall. Best from 2020 through 2030.
- Item #: i_344010Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 93-96ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot picked between 4-21 October at 45 hectoliters per hectare, and matured in 35% new oak. Oh yes! This is a perfumed bouquet that unfolds beautifully in the glass with blackberry, cedar, smoke and a light marine influence, not unlike Japanese nori. The palate is medium-bodied with such fine tannins that it bought to mind Burgundy rather than Bordeaux. There is a grainy texture here, quite saline in the mouth with an entrancing sense of symmetry, very classic but not austere on the finish, with a long and saline aftertaste. This is an outstanding Domaine de Chevalier from the busiest man in Bordeaux, Oliver Bernard. Tasted twice with consistent notes."
WINE SPECTATOR 93-96 POINTS: "Intense raspberry and boysenberry fruit drives along, flecked with anise hints and scored with roasted apple wood details. A touch toothy on the finish, with a loamy note, but the fruit takes an encore, which is a great sign for the future." –JM
VINOUSMEDIA 93-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier is a wine of total precision and class. Today, the flavors are remarkably primary, while the tannins, unusually, are totally buried by the fruit. It will be many years before the 2016 is ready to show all of its cards, but it is a brilliant wine in the making. Dark red cherry, blood orange, mint, white pepper and rose petal infuse the strikingly delineated, vibrant finish." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_353081Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - ""One of the finest releases from not only this appellation but the entire Southern Rhône, the 2016 Lirac La Reine Des Bois is a unique blend of close to equal parts Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre that’s brought up in 30% used barrels, the balance in stainless steel. It literally jumps from the glass with loads of blackberry and currant fruits, graphite, charred meats, and peppery herbs. Deeply colored, medium to full-bodied, with sensational purity, give bottles a year or two and enjoy through 2028. It’s another brilliant wine from this estate that’s landed on both feet after the passing of winemaker Christophe Delorme in 2015."
- Item #: i_334239Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 89-91 POINTS: "A hint of pain grillé is discernible on the more refined nose that displays essence of pear, citrus and white floral aromas. The refinement exhibited by the nose continues onto the textured and attractively intense medium-bodied flavors that possess a discreet minerality on the balanced, delicious and lingering finish. This is really quite good and worth a look."
- Item #: i_351618Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94TIM ATKIN 95 POINTS - "Damaged by hail in 2014 and by frost in 2016, this is not the luckiest of Côte de Beaune vineyards but there’s no denying the exceptional quality of its best wines. Made with 66% whole bunches and 40% new wood, it’s a rich, smoky, densely layered wine with bloody, ferrous tannins and supporting fruit sweetness. 2022-32."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "(one-third vendange entier; 40% new oak; just racked following a very late malo): Healthy medium red. Compelling aromas and flavors of redcurrant, iron, rose petal and minerals. At once silky and penetrating, with its sweetness perfectly balanced by harmonious acidity. Shows captivating rose petal perfume throughout. The seriously tannic, floral finish displays real length and grip. This wine should age beautifully but even today there's no hardness. The crop was reduced by about 30% due to the frost, noted winemaker Sieve.'
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens Cuvée Hubert apparently had a very late malolactic that did not finish until September or October. Similar to the previous two vintages, it comes from the lieu-dit "Les Rugiens-Bas." It has a complex and inviting bouquet with black cherries, crushed rose petals and undergrowth aromas, just a suggestion of dried blood emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied, the 40% new oak is absorbed by the fleshy red fruit, and it is adorned with a lovely, ferrous finish. Drink over the next 15 or 20 years."
- Item #: i_351388Bottle Size: 1.5LWINE ADVOCATE 94 - 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux Saint-Jacques was affected by 50% to 60% because of the frost, with 20% whole bunch and 70% new oak. It has a very crystalline bouquet with perfumed dark berry fruit, crushed stone and hints of violet that just deliver stupendous precision. The palate is medium-bodied with a velvety smooth entry and great depth, with the new oak nicely integrated, although maybe I might have chucked a few more stems in the vat on the finish? Still, this has great potential, a magnificent Lavaux Saint-Jacques that will dazzle for many years to come."
BURGHOUND 91 - 93 POINTS - "An ultra-floral and highly restrained nose offers up aromas of airy and cool essence of red currant, freshly turned earth, humus and forest floor scents. The intense, powerful and muscular broad-shouldered flavors possess fine mid-palate concentration thanks to the abundant level of dry extract that buffers the firm tannic spine on the austere and serious finish. In sum this is a classically styled LSJ."
- Item #: i_350604Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux was not affected by frost and yielded a good quantity to the surprise of Arnaud Mortet —30 hectoliters per hectare. Matured with 50% whole bunch and up to 70% new oak, it has a generous, almost peppermint-tinged bouquet with great vigor and vivacity. The palate is medium-bodied with ripe tannin, good weight and plenty of blood orange-tinged black fruit. It is slightly attenuated right on the finish but this should flesh out once in bottle. This is how to make a great Les Champeaux."
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.