- Item #: i_350511Bottle Size: 750ml"A real pleasure to discover this compelling domaine." - William Kelley, Decanter Magazine
This fantastic Pinot Noir from Burgundy makes an immediate impression. Several wine staff happened to be present when this Bourgogne from Berthaut was opened. Everybody fell in love with the intoxicating aromas of fresh Bing cherries, dark Pinot fruit and potpourri which leaps from the glass. The palate is pure silk with generous fruit yet remains fresh and amazingly balanced. It is truly a wonderful Burgundy on a budget.
The reaction of the wine staff confirmed our impression of this wine and of Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet in general. We visited Burgundy in June and had the pleasure of tasting the whole line-up With the talented Amelie Berthaut. The wines showed extremely well and we knew that the domaine was in the very capable hands of this young seventh generation vigneron.
Amelie is the daughter of Denis Berthaut and Marie-Andree Gerbet and took over winemaking responsibilities a few years ago. She previously studied oenology in Bordeaux before making wine in Bandol, France and Dunn in California before returning to her family's estate in 2013. Amelie has taken the wines from the humble appellation of Fixin in the Cotes de Nuits to a new level with her passion and attention to quality.
We feel so strongly about this wine that we bought all we could get. Unfortunately, supply is always an issue in Burgundy so we couldn't purchase as much as we would have liked. For now, enjoy this terrific value from one of the new star winemakers of Burgundy.
Once you have savored this wine, take a look at our other offerings from Berthaut-Gerbet, which are also delicious and add a touch more complexity and depth.
Bright ruby in color. On the nose, expressive aromas of violets, perfectly ripened cherries, red berries, plum and sweet spices leap from the glass. On the palate, the wine is dry and medium-bodied with a wonderful silkiness. The lusciousness and depth of the fruit is striking, with focused red and black cherries, blue plum and boysenberry along with baking spices. The complexity, depth and lengthy finish make this a compelling wine.
- Item #: i_351304Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets was not touched by frost this vintage according to winemaker Thomas Bouley. It has a very focused, energetic bouquet that unfurls with alacrity in the glass, offering more black fruit than red and subtle earthy/loamy tones. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, a crisp line of acidity, bright and tensile with just a little attenuation on the finish that I am sure will not be there once in bottle. Give this 3 or 4 years in bottle and you will have a quintessential Caillerets."
BURGHOUND 90 - 92 POINTS - "A whiff of wood is present on the pretty and airy mix of raspberry, cherry, lavender and soft spice nuances. There is a beguiling inner mouth perfume to the super-refined and well-detailed flavors that are also quite delicate on the lingering finish. This is a textbook Carelles, which is to say a wine of lace and grace."
- Item #: i_350529Bottle Size: 750mlFINE WINE REVIEW - "The Volnay, Clos de la Cave has dark fruit aromas and flavors with minerality, medium-weight, and good acidity, length, and structure. 50% whole clusters here. The vines date from five different periods; the youngest are 20 years-old, the oldest 90 years-old, and the average is 45-50 years."
- Item #: i_351059Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Madrigal saw contact with a new barrel, and notes of spice and toast inflect its bouquet of ripe citrus fruits. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, with the most texture and mid-palate amplitude of any wine in the range, though there's still plenty of tangy acid lending cut and tension."
Domaine Frantz Chagnoleau is a small estate run by two talented winemakers, Frantz Chagnoleau and his wife Caroline Gon (winemaker at Heritiers du Comte Lafon). Frantz has a degree in Oenology and cut his teeth working for Olivier Merlin in the Mâconnais. Caroline holds two degrees in agricultural engineering and oenology; she worked at Newton Vineyards in Napa Valley before returning to France to work with Dominique Lafon as head winemaker for Héritiers du Comte Lafon. The relationship with Dominque as a friend and mentor has had a great influence on the couple, which is evident in a lineup of pure, terroir driven Mâconnais wines.
Since 2013 all of the vineyards have been certified organic. As with Lafon, this dynamic duo believe in minimal intervention, which includes the use of only indigenous yeast, as the best way to express the nuances of each unique terroir. Aging is done in mostly large, used French oak, harvest is done completely by hand on a plot by plot basis, allowing each vine to achieve the appropriate balance of sugar and acidity before being picked. This dynamic duo is one of the most talented teams in all of Burgundy, farming the old-fashioned way and making micro-quantities of single vineyard White Burgundy from some of the finest Chardonnay terroir in the world.
- Item #: i_352503Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Chamfort’s 2016 Côtes-du-Rhône is a traditional blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah and 10% Cinsault from the village of Sablet. Sporting a brilliant deep ruby robe with flashes of violet, this aromatic, juicy wine reminds us of the finest Côtes-du-Rhônes of yesteryear. This tasty red is bright and perky with a nice dash of peppery fruit to complement an enticing bouquet of red fruits, wild berries and violets. All of this reflects Vasco Perdigao’s penchant for organic viticulture and a preference for minimal intervention in winemaking – the very calling cards of the Southern Rhône for centuries.
- Item #: i_350618Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94-96James Suckling: 96Decanter: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS: "Not yet bottled, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape from Laurent Charvin is a beauty, and I’d wager one of the finest to date. In addition, it has a vibrant, mineral-laced personality that I’m sure is loved by Laurent. As classic as it gets, with a rocking bouquet of black, black fruits, garrigue, crushed rocks, and pepper, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, remarkable concentration, yet also the freshness and purity that’s the hallmark of Laurent’s wines. I followed this bottle for two days, and it shut down with extended aeration, so I’d recommend trying a bottle on release and then hiding the rest for a good 4-5 years. The blend is the classic 82% Grenache, 5% each of Mourvèdre and Syrah, and the balance Vaccarèse and Counoise, fermented with 100% whole clusters and aged all in concrete tanks. Don’t miss this beauty. One of my favorite estates is Laurent Charvins’s Domaine Charvin. This estate is located in the cooler, northern part of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and you’ll be hard pressed to find a harder working vigneron out there. These are as traditional as it gets, and the wines are not stemmed, spend upward of three weeks on skins with pumpovers, and are aged all in concrete tanks. The wines always lean more toward the fresher, more elegant side of the spectrum yet rarely lack for depth of fruit and texture. They (Côtes du Rhône included) age beautifully, and true Southern Rhône lovers need to have these wines in their cellars."
JAMES SUCKLING 95-96 POINTS - "A very tidy array of fresh strawberries, raspberries and poached, red plums. Sweet perfume and light, sappy, spicy complexity, too. The palate delivers an array of succulent, smooth tannins that offer fluid, suave, textural allure. Silky. Barrel sample."
- Item #: i_333599Bottle Size: 750MLAllen Meadows - Burghound -"A fresh and attractively spicy nose is composed by notes of plum, earth and a pretty red berry nuance. I very much like the texture of the lively middle weight flavors that possess a subtle minerality and even a bit of muscle on the delicious and balanced finish. This should drink well both young and with a few years of bottle age."
- Item #: i_333216Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90-92JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS: "The largest production effort is the 2016 Saint Joseph Silice, which offers lots of blackberry jam, Asian spice, and peppered meat aromas and flavors. This ripe, sexy, beautifully textured 2016 is going to be another terrific value for the true wine lovers and drinkers out there. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_345248Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Features a solid streak of raspberry and red currant coulis flavors running through, with light lavender, anise and singed balsam wood notes filling in through the finish. Drink now through 2020. 4,500 cases made."
- Item #: i_345657Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine de l'Espigouette Vacqueyras is made from mostly Grenache, with some Syrah and Mourvèdre blended in. This instantly grabs your attentions with attractive aromas of blackberry, crushed stone, lavender, and dried herbs, along with hints of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and incense. On the palate this possesses a round, velvety texture, laced with bright red and black fruits, which continue to expand onto the finish.
- Item #: i_351447Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - ""The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is a blend of 85% Grenache, 10% Mourvèdre and 5% Syrah, aged predominantly in concrete and foudre. Biodynamically farmed and traditionally made, it reached 15.5% alcohol, which shows a bit in the wine's size and slight warmth. It's full-bodied, rich and velvety, with bold black cherry fruit, hints of clove and cola and a long, savory-spicy finish. I'd opt for drinking it over the next 6-7 years."
- Item #: i_351256Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS: "Impressive, complex array of wild cherries, raspberries, garrigue herbs, lightly spiced pastry and stony, chalky minerals. Super-fresh florals. The palate has superb texture, roundness, completeness, depth and detail. Powerful yet elegant with powdery tannins and essence-like red fruit. Super-fleshy, supple and dense core, then strong at the edges. Layer upon layer peels away on the finish. Resounding finesse and equilibrium, showing the full potential of the plateau La Crau. Drink or hold. (8/2018)
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "Bottled just last week, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a classic, gorgeous bouquet of black raspberries, currants, violets, salty minerality, nori (seaweed wrapper) and licorice. Full-bodied, pure, incredibly elegant, with fine tannin, and a huge finish, this is classic Vieux Télégraphe all the way that has the balance to drink now."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS: "Undoubtedly one of the top vintages of this wine, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape La Crau features classy notes of crushed stones and black tea to go along with ripe raspberries and black cherries. Full-bodied yet silky, there's more power and richness in La Crau than in Piedlong, yet there's commensurate elegance and finesse. The wine grows in intensity on the finish without ever seeming heavy or overripe, instead offering hints of tea and licorice.'
- Item #: i_350643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90 - 92 POINTS "The 2016 Côte de Nuits-Villages finished its malolactic fermenation earlier than its siblings this year, and so it was racked in June. It has a gorgeous and pure bouquet of dark berry fruit, a hint of soy and mineral, all beautifully defined. The palate is medium-bodied with more red fruit than the Bourgogne Pinot Noir but, again, silky smooth in texture with startling panache and focus on the finish. What a fabulous wine."
BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS, OUTSTANDING TOP VALUE - "This is aromatically similar to the Bourgogne but with notably better complexity. The delicious, succulent and generously proportioned flavors possess a caressing mouthfeel where the fine depth flashed by the nose is also present on the finish. Lovely stuff that should offer much pleasure young but should also be capable of rewarding 5 to 7 years of cellaring too."
- Item #: i_350645Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Les Evocelles seems to have a natural swagger about it. Nothing ostentatious here, just a wine seemingly comfortable in its own skin with blackberry and crushed strawberry scents mixed with wet limestone. The palate is brimming with pure red fruit, just pure pinoté, just a joy from start to finish. I could have eloped with the barrel sample. Then again, that would not have pleased Denis."
- Item #: i_350604Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux was not affected by frost and yielded a good quantity to the surprise of Arnaud Mortet —30 hectoliters per hectare. Matured with 50% whole bunch and up to 70% new oak, it has a generous, almost peppermint-tinged bouquet with great vigor and vivacity. The palate is medium-bodied with ripe tannin, good weight and plenty of blood orange-tinged black fruit. It is slightly attenuated right on the finish but this should flesh out once in bottle. This is how to make a great Les Champeaux."
- Item #: i_350600Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A discreet application of wood sets off an earthy array of red and dark currant scents. The sleek, vibrant and utterly delicious medium weight flavors exhibit good minerality on the balanced, refreshing and lingering finish. This is also very good and a wine that should drink well in its youth if that's your preference."
- Item #: i_351796Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Piercing and pure, with pear, green apple and green almond notes carried by a sleek, minerally edge. Shows juiciness along the edges and flashes of honeysuckle and bitter almond in the background. Drink now through 2033."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.