- Item #: i_352243Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Clos de la Roche Grand Cru Cuvée Vieilles Vignes is superb, bursting from the glass with aromas of juicy cherries, peonies, blood orange, licorice, raw cocoa and espresso roast. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and succulent, with a concentrated, layered mid-palate, satiny structuring tannins and vibrant underlying acidity, concluding with a long finish. Harvested on October 7 at a comparatively high yield by Ponsot's standards of 38 hectoliters per hectare, this year seems to have been perfectly adapted to Ponsot's style. Vibrant, elegant and expressive, the 2016 is quite different from the richer, more powerful 2015, but in the fullness of time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpassing its brawnier elder sibling."
- Item #: i_351603Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Bright straw-yellow. Aromas and flavors of tangerine, guava, lemon jelly and lemon verbena are complicated by a strong presence of orange peel on the long back end. Outstanding acid-sugar balance (35 g/L residual sugar and 5.4 g/L total acidity) and a refined mouthfeel make this racy, fresh wine the best Gewürz from Weinbach in 2016. This really showcases the greatness that grand cru vines can deliver."
- Item #: i_353337Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Pale straw-green. Bright, fresh and juicy, with Earl Grey, elderberry, mint and grapefruit on the nose and in the mouth. Very fruity and even more floral in its bright, vibrant personality thanks to the majority of Muscat Ottonel (70%) and less Muscat d’Alsace (30%); the latter variety gives structure, but it’s the former that gives perfume. Readers might like to know that this lovely Muscat wine from Weinbach usually picks up a note of menthol three or four years after the harvest. Makes a perfect aperitif wine."
- Item #: i_334007Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98James Suckling: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Reminding me of the 2010 with its incredible stature and class (as opposed to the more opulently styled 2009), the 2016 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou is a legendary wine from the genius of Bruno Borie, who has managed this estate brilliantly since he arrived in 2003. A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot brought up all in new oak, the 2016 has a mammoth bouquet of crème de cassis, espresso, camphor, crushed violets, toasty oak, and graphite. Full-bodied, concentrated, and backward on the palate, it nevertheless has perfectly integrated acidity and building tannins, a concentrated, layered texture, off-the-charts purity of fruit, and a finish that won't quit. Give this powerful, concentrated wine a solid 7-8 years of bottle age and enjoy it over the following 50 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Ducru-Beaucaillou features a wonderfully savory, earthy/meaty nose, delivering well-defined notes of tapenade, truffles, charcuterie and sautéed herbs over crème de cassis, wild blueberries and kirsch with wafts of pencil lead and menthol. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is built like a brick house with the taut, muscular fruit well framed by very firm yet very ripe and finely grained tannins, offering a quiet intensity of red fruit and mineral sparks and finishing with epic length."
- Item #: i_351140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "On the darker side of the ledger, with currant and blackberry fruit laced with mesquite, bay leaf, iron and tobacco notes. A light smoldering charcoal hint through the finish melds with the fruit and other components. Best from 2020 through 2038. 83 cases made, 6 cases imported."
Francois Villard La Brocarde comes from vines planted on the Cote Blonde with up to 13% Viognier in the blend. The wine takes its name from the La Brocarde lieu-dit. The berries are whole cluster fermented and up to 30% of the grapes are destemmed. The wine is aged in between 80% new, French oak barrels to 100% new, oak, depending the character of the vintage. The wine spends close to 18 months in barrel before bottling. The production is quite small as only 100 cases are produced in an average year.
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_334109Bottle Size: 750MLThe Gouges family has been vineyard proprietors in Nuits for generations and proprietors of the current domaine since 1919. Domaine Henri Gouges Bourgogne Rouge has a great color and a lovely Pinot nose. Very fresh and earthy on the palate, supple with roasted nut elements.
Allen Meadows - Burghound - "A fresh, cool and distinctly earthy array of red and dark currant precedes punch and sleek middle weight flavors that offer fine length. This is less rustic than it usually is and it's worth considering."
- Item #: i_351458Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A brooding nose only reluctantly reveals notes of ripe and ultra-fresh dark currant, earth and a smoked game nuance. There is outstanding density to the powerful, robust and bold big-bodied flavors that possess seriously good concentration where the sap does a good job of buffering the very firm tannic spine shaping the superbly persistent finish. This is textbook Vaucrains and as such, it's going to need extended."
- Item #: i_352256Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin les Seuvrées comes from 60- to 70-year-old vines and included 30% whole-bunch fruit. This has a more refined and precise bouquet than the la Justice thanks to the effortlessly pure red fruit intertwined with cold stone/limestone aromas. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, a killer line of acidity and a brightness on the finish that is a pure joy. This is a superb village cru, one of the best that I encountered this vintage."
- Item #: i_351917Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Châteauneuf-du-Pape from bottle, the 2016 vintage was described as having the power of 2010 and similar to yet fresher than 2007. The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a great bouquet of black raspberries, tapenade, crushed violets, and spring flowers, and shares lots of similarities to the Chaupin cuvée (and it’s less expensive!). Full-bodied, incredibly elegant and seamless, it might be the finest traditional cuvée ever produced from this estate."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape exhibits more dark fruit than I would've expected, with black cherries, black olives and tar all mingling on the nose. In the mouth, the blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Cinsault is full-bodied, rich and velvety, with a lush, lingering finish. Easy to drink now, it should age for at least a decade just on its sheer concentration and ripeness. Although I showed up considerably late for my appointment with the brother-sister team of Christophe and Isabelle Sabon, Christophe wore his customary, irrepressible smile. The French soccer team was ahead in their World Cup match, and he was showing off the domaine's stellar 2016s. "It's my father's 50th harvest," he said. "And he thinks it's the best. It's incredible because you have power, finesse and acidity."
- Item #: i_333725Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine Jean Grivot is among the great names in Burgundian wine. Étienne Grivot and his wife Marielle (Patrick Bize's sister) took over from Étienne’s father Jean Grivot in 1987. The cellar is in Vosne-Romanée where most of their vineyards are located. Étienne believes in farming with minimal impact to the environment and eschews the use of chemicals in the vineyard. Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Boudots 1er cru lies in the “Zone Vosnoise” or northern end of Nuits-Saint-Georges just below Les Damodes. It borders Vosne-Romanée Aux Malconsorts 1er just to its north. Its position slightly lower on the slope with deep soil full of pebbles results in a richer and fuller wine.The wine shows aromas and flavors of red berries, herbs, and purple flowers. The palate is rich with ripe fruit and medium weight with bright acidity and fine tannins. Aging in 30-60% new Burgundian pièce brings notes of vanilla, toast, and baking spices.
- Item #: i_351968Bottle Size: 750mlThe lieu-dit, near Fissey. 40-45 year-old vines, near the route de grand cru. Deep red fruit, more floral with air. More dimension of pretty fresh flavour, mouth-watering over a base of modest tannin. Delicious and with good concentration too. Long, slightly floral in the finish. Lovely wine again.
- Item #: i_351001Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND - "A ripe and agreeably fresh nose reflects notes of plum, dark currant and plenty of earth character. The racy, intense and solidly concentrated flavors brim with minerality that carries over to the rustic and delicious finish."
- Item #: i_351915Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 99JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS: "The complexity and sheer magnitude of Montrachet is on full show here. A powerful expression of the largest holdings in the Puligny side of the vineyard. Grilled hazelnuts, grilled peaches, grapefruit and lemon citrus, as well as a layer of spiced nougat-like aromas. There’s a very long, concentrated and dense palate that starts out cloaked in flavors of rich peaches and glossy fruits. The flavors then peel away in layers as it sits on the palate, revealing a very focused, refined and essence-like citrus core with tremendous elegance and intensity. Drink or hold through the next decade. Or even longer if you desire."
BURGHOUND 95 POINTS: "DON'T MISS!"A strikingly pretty and layered nose reflects notes of mineral reduction, citrus peel, acacia blossom, spice and essence of green apple. There is excellent freshness and terrific intensity to the big-bodied and tautly muscular flavors that brim with impressive amounts of dry extract on the balanced and explosively long finish that really fans out as it sits on the palate. This is very much still a work in progress and I would recommend not touching a bottle for at least 5 years and 12 to 15 would be better."
- Item #: i_344015Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98James Suckling: 98Decanter: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "One of the monumental wines in the vintage is the 2016 Château Eglise Clinet from proprietor Denis Durantou. Based on 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc, this utterly perfect wine boasts a saturated purple color as well as an essence of Pomerol bouquet of ripe black cherries, blackcurrant liqueur, smoked tobacco, camphor, and graphite. Deep, full-bodied, incredibly powerful, and layered, yet always with class and balance, it offers a remarkable marriage of power and finesse. It’s already sexy and seductive yet also a baby, and needs 7-8 years of cellaring. It should keep for 3-4 decades (probably longer), but why wait?"
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS: "The depth and beauty in the aromas really draw you in with black truffles, blackberries, crushed stones, violets and other flowers. Black olives, too. Full-bodied, super refined and structured with perfectly manicured tannins and a very, very long finish. It’s full of soul and precision. Take a look after 2024."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS: "The 2016 L'Eglise Clinet has a medium to deep garnet-purple color with aromas of warm black cherries, mulberries and Black Forest cake slipping seductively from the glass plus nuances of rose hip tea, baking spices, fragrant soil and fallen leaves. Medium to full-bodied, it's wonderfully elegant in the mouth with fantastically plush tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long and very perfumed. Beautiful!"
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "We are now levitating somewhere above the rest of Denis Durantou's excellent range. Typical of the incredibly deft and precise way of working that is his signature, this wine brings cinammon and clove then hugely deep, rich dark fruits. Utterly elegant, it completes a circuit around your mouth. This is a physical reaction to a wine that you only get in certain vintages and in very few wines. A great European wine. 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc aged in 80% new oak."
- Item #: i_344017Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98James Suckling: 99Decanter: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS: "The aromas of violets and dark berries with licorice and sweet black tea are so attractive. What really impresses is the sweet fruit in the dense middle palate. So attractive. At the same time, there’s plenty of plush and ripe tannins that give the wine form and brightness. And it still remains bright on the finish, as the tannins roll on. A great Conseillante. Try after 2024."
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS: "Bottled in June of 2018, the 2016 Château La Conseillante is a beautifully seamless yet powerful version of this cuvée that has the hallmark fragrance and elegance of the estate front and center. Complex blackberries, cassis, flowers, incense, forest floor, and floral notes all soar from this full-bodied, pure, and polished Pomerol that has an undeniable class as well as wonderful purity of fruit, perfect integration of its tannins and acidity, and a blockbuster finish. It's an incredibly complete wine that flirts with perfection and will keep for 30-40 years. The blend is 80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc, aged in 70% new French oak, with the balance in once-used barrels. There are less than 4,000 cases made, but this is a wine you want in your cellar."
WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS: "The 2016 La Conseillante is a blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc aged in 70% new and 30% one-year-old French oak for 17 months. Deep garnet-purple colored, it slips provocatively out of the glass with a lifted perfume of roses, candied violets and lavender over a core of warm red and black plums, chocolate box, unsmoked cigars and baked cherries with wafts of wild thyme and tilled soil. Medium-bodied, the palate exudes polish and sophistication with bags of fragrance, freshness and energy, sporting exquisitely fine-grained tannins and finishing very long and minerally."
DECANTER 97 POINTS: "The aromatics leap out of the glass, utterly luscious and on a tightrope between power and elegance, displaying notes of rosemary, spice and rich liquorice alongside bursts of minerality. It stretches out through the tight palate, becoming juicy on the finish, This is one of the best of the tasting, so fine is its tannic structure - you almost overlook them at first, but the tannins slowly build. It's just as gorgeous as during en primeur, but with an extra kick. It will clearly age well. 70% new oak. They follow biodynamic practices in the vineyard. Michel Rolland consults."
- Item #: i_353495Bottle Size: 750ml"The 2016 La Fleur de Bouard is gorgeous" - Antonio Galloni, Vinous
"The generous, supple tannins nicely support the full body and long, silky finish" - James Suckling
"It's a seamless, beautiful wine well worth buying" - Jeb Dunnuck
Chateau Angelus is a remarkable estate firing on all cylinders and producing the best wines in its storied history. This is due in large part to continuous improvements in the vineyard and winery by the latest generations of the de Bouard family who have a long wine growing tradition.
We recently sampled the 2016 La Fleur de Bouard from the owners of Chateau Angelus and were blown away by the rich, palate coating flavors. This wine is aromatic and full-bodied with notes of violet, red and black cherries, blueberries, mocca and earth. The tannins are silky and the finish is sneaky long. The purity of fruit from the outstanding 2016 vintage and winemaking prowess come through loud and clear!
Hubert de Bouard de Laforest believed that estates in Lalande-de-Pomerol were capable of producing outstanding wines on par with the greatest Bordeaux appellations. He purchased property in this area in 1998 and rechristened the property Chateau La Fleur de Bouard. He, along with his daughter Coralie applied their oenological know-how in a new, environmentally friendly approach to wine growing.
The 33 hectare vineyard of Chateau La Fleur de Bouard is close to tributaries of the Isle and Dordogne Rivers and enjoys sunny weather moderated by the cooling effects of the nearby water. The vineyards are planted to 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon with a terroir of clay and sand over a base of gravel. The mild conditions prompt early flowering of the vine. This local distinction explains the frequent referral to "La Fleur" (flower) in estate names in this appellation area.
The estate houses an oenological laboratory, which drives a host of experiments and research topics around vine husbandry and wine making. A major innovation is the property's vathouse, which is unique in the whole world. Using effective, new technology, the wines are made applying a revolutionary process, based on a system of hanging upturned truncated cone-shaped tanks.
These investments enable the very best of this terroir to be extracted and renowned vintages to be made that compare favorably with the greatest Bordeaux names. They are part of the quest for excellence, balance and elegance, which has given form to Chateau La Fleur de Bouard.
This is a great opportunity to try a delicious Bordeaux from the makers of Angelus at a great price. The delicious taste of La Fleur de Bouard will keep you coming back for more. Enjoy!
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Fragrant and spicy, ripe and juicy with a ton of crushed berry character. The generous, supple tannins nicely support the full body and long, silky finish."
VINOUS 92 POINTS - "The 2016 La Fleur de Boüard is gorgeous. Sweet, floral notes lift the red berry fruit in this gracious, mid-weight wine. Raspberry, wild flowers, mocha, spice and mint all run through this lithe, silky wine. The 2016 possesses notable silkiness, nuance and finesse. This is a terrific showing."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "A blend of 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2016 Chateau La Fleur de Bouard comes from the de Bouard family of the famed Chateau Angelus and was brought up in 75% new French oak. It shows the subtle change in style at this estate and is fresher and more elegant, with a pretty bouquet of black raspberries, crushed flowers, and hints of tobacco. It fleshes out beautifully on the palate and offers medium body, silky tannins, and a beautiful finish. It's a seamless, beautiful wine well worth buying and cellaring. It's going to keep for 10-15 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 91+ POINTS - "Medium garnet-purple in color, the 2016 La Fleur de Boüard sings of warm plums, black cherry compote and wild blueberries with touches of exotic spices and violets plus a waft of underbrush. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the mouth with bags of black fruit preserves and a plush frame, finishing long and spicy."
- Item #: i_353352Bottle Size: 750mlPoached pear with tropical fruit and hints of caramel popcorn and petrol notes. Soft mouthfeel a with balance of ripe orchard fruit and hints of nutmeg spice in the lively finish.
- Item #: i_353808Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93-94Wine Enthusiast: 94WINE ENTHUSIAST-94 POINTS - "Situated in one of the northern sectors of Margaux, this estate was created in the 13th century. This sumptuous wine has enormous power that is mitigated by the taut, mineral texture and black-currant flavors. It is a finely wrought wine that will take time to age."
JAMES SUCKLING 93-94 POINTS - "Dense and chewy with very firm and silky tannins. Full-bodied and powerful. Better than the 2015."