- Item #: i_378504Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILLMAN 92+ POINTS-"Benoît Marguet is now bottling many of his cuvées without any added SO2 and I worry a little about this, as his wines are so brilliantly crafted for long-term cellaring and I hope no potential longevity will end up being sacrificed because of this practice. Only time will tell. In any case, his Shaman 15 non-vintage Brut Nature bottling is outstanding, being composed of its customary blend of two-thirds pinot noir and one-third chardonnay. It was disgorged in March of 2019 and offers up a superb bouquet of white peach, apple, brioche, a complex base of soil, dried flowers and a gently smoky topnote. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, complex and beautifully balanced, with a fine core, refined mousse and lovely acid bounce adding precision and lift on the long, classy finish. This is outstanding wine. 2019-2045+."
- Item #: i_376559Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES: "Apples, stone fruits and wounderful aromas of freshly baked bread open to a full-bodied yet profoundly stony palate. Focused, fine and long on the finish, we beleive it will age well for at least a decade."
This limited (70 case) Millesime is a 50/50 blend of Grand Cru Chardonnay (Oger, Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, and Cramant) and Premier Cru Pinot Noir from Hautvillers and Cumieres. Hand harvested with 33% of the base wine undergoing malolactic feremtation followed by extended "Sur Latte" aging for 84 months.
- Item #: i_325707Bottle Size: 750MLElodie Bosser is a fanatic about working only with best possible fruit and making sure that its quality is reflected in the finished product. A blend of 60% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir, this is a forward and engaging Champagne that greets one with fresh aromas of biscuits, lemon curd and poached pears. Refreshingly crisp, but not austere in the least, the palate presents a well-meshed melange of peach, lemon drop and mineral notes followed up with a well-tapered finish of toast and baking spices. Simply put, Brut Tradition is a versatile and crowd-pleasing Champagne that exudes a class rarely found in its price range.
- Item #: i_377638Bottle Size: 750mlDisplaying fine bubbles and a deep straw color, this Brut is a blend of 85% Pinot Noir and 15% Chardonnay. It beckons the taster with effusive aromas of wild strawberries, red currants, and mandarin oranges. Ample and extroverted on the palate with Queen Anne cherry, apricot, and citrus sensations that gather pleasing inflections of chalk and stones in the long-play finish. Rich and harmonious, this easy drinking Champagne performs the deft trick of being sleek and well-toned at the same time. Wonderful all on its own but possessing the gravitas and red berry flavor profile that is tailor-made to work wondersl with rich Holiday fare.
Fifth-generation vignerons Didier and Thierry Vesselle proudly follow the footsteps of their father, Maurice Vesselle, and the classic, grower-Champagne house-style he started in 1955. These talented but humble récoltants-manipulants might go unnoticed if it weren’t for their fabulous vineyards from the Montagne de Reims appellations of Bouzy and Tours-sur-Marne—known for producing some of Champagne’s finest Pinot Noir. The duo is part of the avant-garde of Champagne’s sustainable viticulture movement, and they have earned the rigorous HVE III Certification (High Environmental Value) by the European Union for their high standards in sustainable farming. In the cellars, the brothers prefer quick fermentations without malo but employ long, costly élevages for up to five years in order to attain the texture and complexities that can only come from such aging. As Didier Vesselle says, "...the mark of a great wine is when you can finish it without even realizing it. It should be easy to drink."
- Item #: i_347290Bottle Size: 750mlFrederic and his brother, Rodolphe, are the fourth generation to lead their estate. The domaine was founded in 1919 by their great-grandfather but they never bottled Champagne under their own name. For generations, the Minières preferred to sell all of their fruit to larger houses. Frederic Minière worked with Anselme Selosse for two harvests in the late 90s. It was then that Fred fell in love with barrel aged Champagne and saw the benefits of organic viticulture. At the time, he was in the middle of his oenology studies and was at an impressionable age. This experience was formative for him and it convinced him to bottle Champagnes under his family name. This dream would not be realized until 2007 when his father retired and the two brothers were able to chart a new course for the domaine. “If I hadn’t met Anselme I would not be making the wines I make today.”
This blened which is based on the 2010 harvest is composed of 30% Pinot Noir, 30% Pinot Meunier, and 20% Chardonnay with 15% Reserve Wine from 2008.
- Item #: i_376824Bottle Size: 750mlMoët Ice Impérial Rosé is the world’s first Rosé champagne specially created to be enjoyed on ice. Pinot Noir wines are this cuvee's largest component (45% -55%, of which 10% is red wine). Angular and vinous, these wines were chosen for both the intensity of the fruit and the structural integration of the dosage.
Pinot Meunier wines (35%-45%, of which 10% is red wine). Round and fleshy, these wines were selected to add richness and middle notes of harmony and suppleness.
Chardonnay wines with a polished acidity (5%-10%) for a refreshing finish. Finally the blend is rounded off with 20% to 30% of especially selected reserve wines round out the assemblage by enhancing its intensity, richness and consistency.
- Item #: i_374423Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS WINE MEDIA 91 PONTS-"“The NV Extra Brut L’Atavique Tradition is a dazzling wine. Deep and resonant on the palate and yet finely-cut, the Atavique captures the combination of fruit intensity and tension that is the signature of Verzy. Bright, saline notes give energy to this Pinot-heavy NV Champagne from Mouzon-Leroux. The blend is 80% 2013 and 20% 2012/2011, 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay. What impresses me most, though, is flashes of brilliance that suggest what future wines here might be like.”
- Item #: i_376429Bottle Size: 750mlThis Extra Brut Rose is made from 100% organically farmed Pinot Noir grapes all from the 2014 harvest) fermented with indigenous yeast. Half the base wine was aged in neutral oak casks. Its amber reddish hue was achieved through a short maceration on the skins (i.e. traditional Saignee Process)and was disgorged in March of 2016 with a minimal dosage of 3g/l. The aromas show a distinctive rose petal component laced with hints of cardomin and cinnamon. The palate dispalys dried red berries and earthy forest floor notes that are sugestive af a fine Cote de Beaune with bubbles.
- Item #: i_348530Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Rich and creamy, showing the dried fruit, nut and spice notes of fruitcake, with lemon meringue, quince and honey flavors. Clean citrusy acidity integrates beautifully and provides an elegance to this refined Champagne. Drink now through 2020."
- Item #: i_377462Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The label is terribly pink but the color salmon rose and the bouquet of the 2013 Special Club Grand Cru Brut Rose is absolutely delicate and subtle on both nose and palate. Bright flavors of raspberries, roses and red currant lead to an elegant, fine, well balanced and absolutely delicate and serious Rosé Vintage Champagne, which exemplary reflects the purity and freshness of the 2013 vintage as well as the expressive house style."
- Item #: i_377874Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"Made of equal parts Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, this is based on 2005, with 25 percent of the blend being composed of reserve wines up to 30 years old. This results in a creamy, complex depth of flavor, with richly textured notes of strawberry and red cherry accented by hints of honey, beeswax and dried fruits. Its dosage is slightly high, detracting somewhat from the overall expression, but it benefits noticeably from time in the glass, becoming finer in tone and more subtly detailed—put this in the cellar for a few years and it should become more soil-inflected and more harmoniously knit. Last tasted: 2/13."
- Item #: i_375258Bottle Size: 750ml100% Chardonnay from Ambonnay Grand Cru. Made and aged in 205 liters champagne Oak barrels. Tasting: A gorgeous crystalline gold colour, with green highlights. An extremely fine bouquet, with apricot,grapefruit and peach aromas. Palate: This exceptionally fresh champagne will be an ideal companion for summermeals.Or just to be tasted with our Blanc de Noir for a tremendous tasting that will reflect all the differences only made with the difference of grapes as they are worked exactly the same way. This champagne should be enjoyed either as a cocktail.
- Item #: i_375873Bottle Size: 750ml70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay. 2010 base vintage with 50% reserves from 30 different years.
Pierre comes from a long line of wine growers (since 1610), following Leon, Henri and Paul who transmitted this passion which is so unique of Recoltant-Manipulants, those Champagne growers who bottle and sell their wines under their own labels. Backed by these traditions and experience acquired over the years, Pierre and his wife Sophie are now developing this know-how, keeping pace with technological advances, but always remaining in harmony with nature.
Our terroir is located on the edge of Montagne de Reims. Our village, Ambonnay, is a Grand Cru Village, only one of seventeen having earned this label of excellence. On the seven acres we cultivate with care, we create seven Grand Cru vintages. Thanks to this unique soil, out Pinot Noir black grapes and our Chardonnay white grapes express their full natural richness.
- Item #: i_352070Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "The iconic Belle Epoque bottle reveals a well-structured, taut wine. With Chardonnay very much in evidence in the mineral texture, the wine is almost as floral as the bottle. Drink from 2021."
- Item #: i_377405Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS-"Rich accents of smoke and pastry underscore the flavors of kumquat, raspberry and ginger in this finely knit rosé Champagne, with a satiny mousse. Firm and minerally on the finish. Drink now through 2020. 1,500 cases imported."
WINERY NOTES-"The Blason Rosé is a non-vintage Brut wine made from the strictest selection of the finest possible base wines. It was first launched in 1956 in France and remained a limited production Cuvee. A Champagne that blends freshness and intensity. An exquisite delicacy in the floral, stylish and diamond-cut style of the House of Perrier-Jouët."
- Item #: i_375324Bottle Size: 750MLTYSON STELZER THE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 94 POINTS-"(disgorged March 2018; 39% Chardonnay, 61% Pinot Noir; 37% fermented and aged in oak barrels; no malolactic fermentation; aged 9 years on lees; 4.25g/L dosage; 19,805 bottles). Philipponnat is astute in rolling out its barrels to suit the season, pulling back from 73–75% oak fermentation in 2007 and 2008 to a restrained 37% in the presence of the 2009 harvest. With a gold tint to its medium straw hue, the grand power and volume of this ripe harvest make for a cuvée of thundering proportions. Generous, mature yellow fruits jostle with the roast nut character of barrel fermentation. This warm season furnished low levels of gentle malic acidity, hence its definition owes more to the fine chalk minerality of the site. It’s inimitable Clos des Goisses of other-worldly dimensions. (2020-2021)"
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS-"The 2009 Clos des Goisses has been very tight in two recent tastings, which is probably a very good thing for its long-term prospects, but less so for readers seeking the immediacy that is common in so many 2009 Champagnes. White flowers, orchard fruit, mint white pepper and citrus peel add to the wine’s bright profile. Readers should plan on being extremely patient, as the 2009 Goisses does not show much, if any, early appeal, even if the density and textural persistence of the great years are both there. The 2009 is 61% Pinot Noir and 39% Chardonnay. Dosage is 4.5 grams per liter.
JOHN GILMAN 94 POINTS-"The very, very fine 2009 Clos des Goisses is more typical of what one expects from this wine in its youth, as the nose is far more reserved out of the blocks than the 2010 version. This wine was disgorged in March of 2018 and the cépages of sixty-one percent Pinot Noir and thirtynine percent chardonnay (a two-thirds Pinot to one-third Chardonnay blend is the goal here most years). The 2009 is nicely primary on the nose, offering up scents of pear, lovely red fruit tones, macadamia nut, a lovely base of soil, gentle smokiness and incipient notes of white flowers in the upper register. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied and nascently complex, with a rock solid core, lovely focus and grip, refined bubbles and outstanding length on the balanced and very promising finish. The palate seems a touch more open than the nose suggests and this wine will probably come forward fairly early for a Clos des Goisses, but will age long and beautifully on its exquisite balance. There is nothing blowsy about this racy 2009! 2025-2075."
- Item #: i_352670Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Firm and smoky, this tightly knit Champagne is dense and focused, showing a subtle mix of patisserie apple, toast, plum compote and mandarin orange peel flavors. This should open with some short-term cellaring. Disgorged November 2015. Best from 2017 through 2020. 3,000 cases made."
The corporate changes that have swept through Champagne in recent years seem sure to rob many old houses of their connection to the past. But one small jewel of a house is moving ever closer to its roots: Philipponnat. It is one of the last houses to be run by a member of its founding family. And Charles Philipponnat is a true Champenois, descended from winemakers, cellarmasters and growers dating back nearly 600 years. Champagne is in Charles’ blood, and this helps to explain Philipponnat’s recent resurgence. Twenty years ago, the house was known largely for its iconic Clos des Goisses—the majestic tête de cuvée made from Champagne’s single greatest vineyard. But under Charles, Philipponnat is gaining reverence for its entire portfolio of richly expressive Champagnes.
- Item #: i_377642Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"With a bouncy, lively bead and bright acidity, this is open-knit and accessible, offering flavors of black raspberry, kirsch, biscuit and fresh ginger. Delivers a clean, minerally finish. Disgorged May 2012. Drink now through 2016. 800 cases made. (07/13)"