- Item #: i_351676Bottle Size: 750mlVirgile Lignier is the third generation in charge at this small family-run firm based in Morey-St. Denis. They make a consistently outstanding line-up, so a good place to start is with their “simple” Bourgogne Rouge. The grapes — all Pinot Noir — come from vineyards that lie just outside the limits of Morey St. Denis and Chambolle-Musigny, two of the most famous villages in the Côte de Nuits. Not surprisingly, given this pedigree, Lignier-Michelot’s Bourgogne Rouge hits well above its weight class. Nicely balanced, it delivers a charming combination of bright red fruit and earthiness. Not flamboyant, it focuses on the savory, not the fruity, side of Pinot Noir.
- Item #: i_374770Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90#68 ON WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES OF 2018
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Infused with graphite and cherry aromas and flavors, this red is expressive and silky, with a good underlying structure for balance. Drink now through 2023."
It is harmonious and balanced, with a plump fruitiness and silky texture offset by round, gentle tannins in a wine of medium body and elegant structure. The very typical, fragrant varietal bouquet is complemented by a deliciously lingering finish.With this wine, you can enjoy grilled or boiled red meats, roasts, mild game, soft cheeses like Camembert and Brie.
- Item #: i_345293Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A notably fresh nose expresses notes of pear and apple compote along with subtle spice and oak toast whiffs. The concentrated and very rich flavors possess a caressing mouth feel thanks to the abundant dry extract that also buffers the moderately firm bitter lemon-inflected finish. This too is a wine of juxtaposition as the generous mid-palate contrasts noticeably with the somewhat austere finale."
- Item #: i_300057Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - " This vineyard abuts Pommard and it shares some of the structural intensity of that appellation. Powerful tannins contrast with opulent black fruits that shine through and will developwell. Drink from 2024."
JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Boucherottes was a bit more reserved in personality than the Grèves or Clos des Couchereaux at the time of my visit, but also showing exemplary promise. The bouquet is a fine blend of red and black cherries, woodsmoke, dark soil tones, fresh herb, pigeon, espresso and a touch of cedar. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and youthful, with a fine core, ripe, well-integrated tannins and a long, tangy and nascently complex finish. 2026-2065+."
- Item #: i_351284Bottle Size: 750mlThe Gagey family owns vineyards in Beaune, Chambolle Musigny and other places, they have an arrangement with Maison Louis Jadot to make wines out of the grapes in those vineyards. The Gagey family has been managing the Jadot vineyards along with the Jadot family for decades. Les Chouacheux is among the smaller of Beaune’s premiers crus, a squarish, 12.5-acre vineyard situated near the south end of the commune on the slope just below Vignes Franches. The slightly deeper soils in the lower part of the slope produce plump, fruity wines offset by the delicacy characteristic of the southernmost vineyards.
- Item #: i_351285Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Decanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées has the best bouquet from Jadot among the premier cru Chambolles, with crisp red cherry and raspberry notes soaked in minerals and smoke, an achievement considering the vineyard was impacted by frost. The palate is medium-bodied with supple, ripe tannin, crisp acidity and a lithe, sensual, silky smooth finish. Bravo."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Oak notes of vanilla and sweet smoke are finely stitched into the velvety texture and balanced by the floral, cherry and currant flavors in this elegant red. Fine length. Best from 2021 through 2035."
TIM ATKINS 94 POINTS - "Les Fuées is not as famous as Les Amoureuses in the line up of Chambolle Premiers Crus, but it often produces some of my favourite wines. This is typically fresh and nuanced, all summer berry sweetness, cranberry-like acidity and a patina of toasty wood. Classic Chambolle in a difficult vintage. 2021-28."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "There is plenty of wood/menthol influence to the notably more elegant nose that exhibits notes of plum, dark currant, orange pekoe tea and ample spice wisps. The rich and mouth coating flavors are finer and much more mineral-driven with a lovely sense of underlying tension adding lift to the beautifully persistent and complex finale where a touch of pit fruit bitterness appears. This is really lovely stuff and very Fuées in character." D 93 Decanter The Chambolle Fuées is a highlight in the Jadot range in 2016, wafting from the glass with a pure bouquet of cherry, raspberry and a top note of peony, with a classy framing of new oak. The wine is full-bodied, multidimensional and deep at the core, with excellent concentration, its fine tannins cloaked in a crystalline core of fruit. This will develop beautifully in the cellar. Drinking Window 2026 - 2040
- Item #: i_351277Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Wine Enthusiast: 92 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A rich, cherry-infused red, with a supple texture and bright acidity. Refined tannins add a light grip on the lingering finish. Offers fine balance and length. Drink now through 2028.'
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Vineyards on the same slope as the Grand Crus are the source for this rich wine. Its tannins are properly firm, with a dry core surrounded by fragrant, juicy red fruits. It is a rich wine that keeps its elegance and aging potential. Drink from 2024."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "More moderate though hardly invisible wood sets off the sauvage and earth-inflected aromas of both red and dark currant. The juicy, even sappy flavors possess an appealing succulence that carries over to the stony, youthfully austere and mildly woody finale that exhibits excellent length for its level. A fine villages."
- Item #: i_378525Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILLMAN 92 POINTS-It is not intuitive, but Benoît Marguet always prefers to make his Rosé bottlings from a predominance of Chardonnay, with his Shaman 16 version composed of fully ninety-six percent Chardonnay, with the remainder still red wine made from Pinot Noir. The vins clairs for this bottling spent a bit longer in cask than is generally customary in Champagne, as they were not bottled up for the second fermentation until August of 2017, and the wine was disgorged in April of 2019. It is showing beautifully out of the blocks, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of tangerine, blood orange, bread dough, chalky soil tones and a topnote of dried flowers. On the palate the wine is crisp, full-bodied and very elegant in profile, with a fine core, excellent soil signature, refined mousse and lovely focus and grip on the long and perfectly balanced finish. First class Rosé. 2019-2040+."
- Item #: i_334501Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "Reduction. The driving middle weight flavors are blessed with a plentitude of sappy dry extract as well as plenty of minerality on the much more finely textured finish that is both longer and more complex. Good stuff that should drink well after only a few years yet reward a decade plus of aging."
VINOUS 93 POINTS - "(40% vendange entier; this vineyard at 400 meters was harvested on October 4, with a normal crop level): Dark red with ruby tones. Sexy, wild Gevrey perfume combines black raspberry, game and earth. Silky on entry, then firm and masculine in the middle palate, with its concentrated flavors of dark berries, licorice and gibier displaying a welcome touch of sweetness. Finishes with ripe tannins and excellent palate-saturating length."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux includes around 40% whole bunch this year, picked on 4 October. It has a lovely bouquet with blackcurrant, wild hedgerow, cranberry and wet stone. The palate is medium-bodied with crushed strawberry, blackcurrant, a touch of salted licorice and a tang of orange pith. There is good structure on the finish, not a noble Gevrey-Chambertin, but one with plenty of guts. I expect this to land at the top of my banded score once in bottle."
- Item #: i_350024Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 89-92No fining, no filtration
All the vinification and ageing operations are carried out with reference to the lunar calendar
The En Rue de Vergy features ripe red currant fruit. The wine is medium-weight and shows more structure than the Champs Perdrix. 60% whole clusters here.
- Item #: i_351476Bottle Size: 750mlNo-brainer red Burg buy from one of the hottest names with those in the know. You have to try at least one of these! ABOUT THE PRODUCER Domaine Boisson-Vadot is one of the finest, outstanding small producers in the village of Meursault that are not particularly well known beyond their native France, but which produce stellar examples of Meursault. The estate is currently run by the father and son team of Bernard and Pierre Boisson, who turn out between three and four thousand cases of wine per year.
- Item #: i_322308Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 98WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS - "Expressive and complex, offering black currant, black cherry, licorice, spice, smoke and mineral aromas and flavors. Tightens up on the finish, a good sign in this youthful red Burgundy. The long aftertaste shows its future potential. Best from 2023 through 2043. 138 cases made, 75 cases imported."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "This is aromatically similar to the Clos Prieur though the floral and spice characters are more prominent. As is virtually always the case chez Gelin, this is the biggest and most powerful wine in the range as there is solid mid-palate concentration and excellent punch though somewhat surprisingly, the otherwise long finish is somewhat one-dimensional. More depth will almost certainly develop with bottle age and my rating implicitly assumes that it will."
- Item #: i_352064Bottle Size: 750mlThe Bourgogne Rouge is sourced from vineyards in Fixin and Gevrey-Chambertin, and is matured for 18 months, partially in oak barrels and partially in stainless-steel tanks. Bottled unfined and unfiltered. Wines from Fixin are typified by their robust, tannic, and sometimes “sauvage” character. Soils towards the bottom of the hill tend to be a deeper and heavier mixture of limestone mixed with clay, yielding wines that are beefy and a bit rougher. The premier crus sit further up the hill on homogenous brown limestone and often display more minerality and finesse.
- Item #: i_350958Bottle Size: 750mlIn the glass, it's a deep, saturated ruby with hints of purple at the rim. Its aromas are bright and perfumed, headlined by ripe fraise de bois, red currant, and black cherry mixed with savory notes of underbrush, dried flowers, and baking spices. There's good mid-palate weight) and silky tannins, with lots of acidity to drive the wine to a fruity, perfumed finish.