- Item #: i_352711Bottle Size: 750mlA young-vine Grenache produced naturally and released early, this atypical Côtes-du-Rhône is designed specifically to quench thirst while showcasing the scrumptious flavor of fermented biodynamic grapes. The domaine’s organic approach to viticulture and nonintervention in the cellar may strike some as rebellious, yet the Gramenons humbly point out that “thirty years ago, we called that ‘working normally’!” In a landscape dominated by mass-market, technological Côtes-du-Rhône, however, these wines are anything but normal. Hand-harvesting, native yeast fermentations, élevage without any new oak, and negligible doses of sulfur are just a few of the factors that make Gramenon’s wines alive, expressive, and difficult to stop drinking. Serve this one cool, from a carafe, with a plain old burger—generously seasoned with herbes de Provence. —Anthony Lynch
- Item #: i_353082Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97+ POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes is a bigger, richer, more opulent wine. Beautiful notes of blackcurrants, scorched earth, graphite, and crushed violets, all flow to a full-bodied, Châteauneuf Du Pape that has a voluptuous, sexy texture, brilliant depth of fruit, fine tannins, and a purity of fruit that's hard to find in this vintage. It's a thrill a minute, and while it's approachable today, it will keep for 15-20 years."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "As usual, the Vieilles Vignes takes things to another level. The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes—a blend of 45% each Grenache (aged in concrete) and Mourvèdre (aged in new barriques), plus 10% Syrah (also in new wood)—features intense aromas of purple raspberries, black cherries and plums, plus the merest hints of vanilla and baking spices. Full-bodied, lush and creamy on the palate, it somehow remains balanced and fresh, with tremendous length on the finish. Tasted twice (once blind), with consistent notes."
- Item #: i_350061Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-99Jeb Dunnuck: 98-100JEB DUNNUCK 98-100 POINTS:-"On another level, and unquestionably the best of the three vintages, the 2015 Côte Rôtie La Mouline sports an inky purple color as well as an off-the-charts bouquet of black currants, smoked herbs, spring flowers, gamey meats, and acacia flowers. Massively concentrated, opulent, and as sexy as wine gets, it reminds me of the 1978 La Mouline and has perfection written all over it. If you can afford it, this is a magical, legendary wine in the making that will keep for 4-5 decades."
ROBERT PARKER 97-99 POINTS:-"Full-bodied and powerful yet elegant, the 2015 Cote Rotie La Mouline is potentially close to perfect. Espresso, grilled meat, caramelized plum and cassis pick up hints of vanilla and herbal-floral notes on the nearly limitless finish. I can’t wait to try this again next year."
- Item #: i_350062Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98-100Jeb Dunnuck: 98-100ROBERT PARKER 98-100 POINTS:-"The potentially perfect 2015 Cote Rotie La Turque takes all of this vineyard’s exotic floral and herbal notes, red raspberry fruit, spice shadings and meaty complexity and compresses them into an incredibly dense, powerful and intense package. Full-bodied, rich and velvety yet ethereal at the same time, this incredibly long wine should prove to be a legend."
JEB DUNNUCK 97-100 POINTS:-"The 2015 Côte Rôtie La Turque (93% Syrah and 7% Viognier) is straight-up thrilling stuff and offers a massive, full-bodied style that stays seamless, incredibly elegant, and perfectly balanced. It doesn’t have the sheer weight or exotic quality of the La Mouline, yet gives up textbook crème de cassis, crushed rocks, violets, and graphite aromas and flavors. With fine tannins and a stacked mid-palate, it’s going to require 5-7 years of bottle age."
- Item #: i_311555Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90Guigal is a reference point estate for the Northern Rhone Valley whose name is synonymous with quality. This quality extends from their entry level wines all the way up to the single vineyard Cote Rotie's.
The value priced Cotes du Rhone Rouge and Blanc are amongst our best selling wines as they consistently over-deliver.
Most Rhone red blends are Grenache dominant, but Guigal is based in the Northern Rhone where Syrah is king. This delicious wine is comprised of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre. It is rich, full-bodied and made in a crowd-pleasing style. The red received a 91 Point Score from Wine Advocate which called it a "ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers."
At the sale price of $12.99 each, it is a good time to stock up on this delicious daily drinker.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are an impressive 4.5 million bottles of the 2016 Cotes du Rhone, a ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers. Cherries and raspberries mark the nose, while the medium to full-bodied palate adds nuances of cola, tree bark and spice. Often available at retail for under $15 per bottle, it represents a terrific value."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "As with the white, the quality of the basic Cotes du Rhone is more than noteworthy, especially when you consider the quantity produced. From a great, great vintage for the Southern Rhone, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone shows an upfront, sunny style as well as Provencal notes of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, and garrigue. Drink this medium to full-bodied, ripe, sexy effort over the coming 4-6 years. It will evolve even longer."
- Item #: i_353281Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Light yellow. Mineral-tinged aromas of Meyer lemon, pear and white peach are complemented by a suave floral overtone. Juicy, pure and energetic on the palate, offering pliant orchard and pit fruit and honeysuckle flavors that show sharp definition and back-end lift. Rich but energetic as well, delivering strong finishing cut and lingering florality. The Viognier is definitely making itself heard here."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "The quality of this cuvee has soared over the past decade, and the 2018 Cotes du Rhone Blanc is another terrific vintage. Tasting like a mini Condrieu with its floral, orange blossom, and honeysuckle aromas and flavors, it's medium-bodied, fresh, and lively on the palate, with an attractive mix of richness and freshness. Drink it over the coming year or two."
- Item #: i_352527Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS
VINOUS 95 - 96 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
"The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Colombis is a thrilling Grenache that offers both richness and elegance. Awesome notes of currant, blackberries, garrigue, and crushed flowers all flow to a full-bodied wine that has ultra-fine tannins, not a hard edge to be found, incredible purity, and a great, great finish. It’s a riveting example of Grenache that can be drunk today or cellared for 10-15 years." (JEB DUNNUCK)
- Item #: i_351917Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Châteauneuf-du-Pape from bottle, the 2016 vintage was described as having the power of 2010 and similar to yet fresher than 2007. The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a great bouquet of black raspberries, tapenade, crushed violets, and spring flowers, and shares lots of similarities to the Chaupin cuvée (and it’s less expensive!). Full-bodied, incredibly elegant and seamless, it might be the finest traditional cuvée ever produced from this estate."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape exhibits more dark fruit than I would've expected, with black cherries, black olives and tar all mingling on the nose. In the mouth, the blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Cinsault is full-bodied, rich and velvety, with a lush, lingering finish. Easy to drink now, it should age for at least a decade just on its sheer concentration and ripeness. Although I showed up considerably late for my appointment with the brother-sister team of Christophe and Isabelle Sabon, Christophe wore his customary, irrepressible smile. The French soccer team was ahead in their World Cup match, and he was showing off the domaine's stellar 2016s. "It's my father's 50th harvest," he said. "And he thinks it's the best. It's incredible because you have power, finesse and acidity."
- Item #: i_351741Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Incorporating 30% stems and brought up in foudre and demi-muid, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Cuvée Chaupin is just a gorgeous wine that offers a perfumed bouquet of kirsch, blueberries, spring flowers, graphite, and crushed rocks. It's elegant and medium to full-bodied, with the purity of the vintage and a great finish. It’s not going to match the top vintages of this cuvée, but it’s going to drink spectacularly well in its youth and evolve nicely for 10-15 years."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Tasted from a single foudre representing the La Crau Est lieu-dit, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Chaupin comes across as even richer and creamier than the 2015, yet with brighter acids and similar spice. Red fruit lingers, morphing toward chocolate as the finish goes on and on. Christophe Sabon describes the 2015s as well balanced and says, "They're not as intense as '16 or '10, but very interesting." He says he's aiming to achieve balance between power, elegance and ripe tannins. For me, the 2015s fit these criteria well at this estate. He adds, "To keep Grenache alone, you must be on sandy soils." Those, of course, are the basis for the family's Cuvée Chaupin and their new Châteauneuf-du-Pape from Clos Saint Antontin."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Delightful plum, raspberry and blackberry compote flavors form the core, with racy, graphite-edged structure running underneath. Dark anise and tobacco notes check in throughout. The long finish lets the fruit linger."
- Item #: i_353767Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The magnificent 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes continues the string of successes under this label. While a bit less expressive on the nose than the other cuvées, it's impossibly voluminous on the palate. Full-bodied and expansive in the mouth, it's also rich and velvety, with ample tannic structure to support its almost overwhelming generosity. A whirl of mixed raspberries and blackberries join with salted licorice and dark chocolate, culminating in a long finish that combines more-ish salinity with the dusty essence of crushed stone."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes (only 30% destemmed) is more powerful than the Chaupin cuvée and has a rocking bouquet of blackberries, cassis, scorched earth, graphite, and licorice, that develops beautifully with time in the glass. Rich, full-bodied, concentrated, and layered on the palate, it has integrated acidity, present yet ripe tannins, and a beautiful finish. Pure class, it’s going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_354072Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "I love the 2018 Côtes Du Rhône Les Garrigues. It just screams Grenache with its beautiful, spicy red fruits, peppery garrigue, and floral aromas and flavors. Hitting the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, no hard edges, and a seamless texture, it displays the more charming, supple style of the vintage nicely, yet brings plenty of fruit and length. It’s ideal for drinking over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_352105Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 98Vinous Media: 95James Suckling: 97WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS - "Honeysuckle, verbena and chamomile aromas stream out first, followed by a remarkably creamy core of yellow apple, white peach, heather honey and warm mirabelle plum notes. Hazelnut oil and brioche line the finish, adding considerable length. Despite all the lushness and depth, this manages to maintain a sense of tension and precision as well. Amazing wine."
- Item #: i_352119Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Ripe and enticing in feel, with a waxy-edged core of creamed yellow apple, nectarine and mirabelle plum notes, infused liberally with warm brioche and toasted macadamia nut accents, all while maintaining cut and focus through the finish. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_322780Bottle Size: 750MLOver forty years of doing business in France and Italy have given Kermit Lynch a level of expertise that few in the wine industry can boast. Countless hours with growers in some of the most famous vineyards and cellars of Europe have offered more than just a casual look at what it takes to be a great grower, let alone a great winemaker. Kermit Lynch was the first to champion the benefits of unfined and unfiltered wines, long before they had become fashionable. This belief is really a matter of taste, and the proof has always been in the glass, offering a purer expression of fruit and an unadulterated reflection of the terroir.
Cotes du Rhone - "The growing success we have enjoyed over the last three vintages is proof enough that the KL Côtes du Rhône fits both the taste profile and quality standards that our customers have come to expect. Since 1929, this winery has been bringing local vignerons together from the outlying areas of Avignon in the Southern Rhône to produce delicious wines that epitomize the region's complex terroirs. Kermit works closely with winemaker Jean-François Pasturel to develop the blend. Pasturel is thrilled to be able to have the chance to produce a Côtes du Rhône he does not have to filter to death. It is his tête de cuvée, his pride and joy."
Primarily Grenache, with Syrah, Carignan, Cinsault, and Mourvèdre, the vineyards this wine comes from average 40 years in age. The nose exudes spicy red plum, mixed red berries, tilled soil and a touch of salted meat. The palate is all about fruit, sweet lovely fruit-- a plate of ripe red berries and cherries that are moderated by easy tannins. A touch of spice in the mid-palate leads to more fruit in the lengthy, tasty finish. Soft enough for the lasting heat of summer yet with enough grip for one more weekend barbecue or the first foods of Fall.
- Item #: i_353812Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Our wine of the month hails from the southeastern Rhône appellation of Ventoux, in the south of France. Our wine buyers tasted numerous potential candidates for this honor and immediately knew this was the one. And what pleasure this wine gives! This 100% Grenache is loaded with fresh, forward fruits and cascades across the palate with perfectly ripened, lush fruit flavors.
The bounty includes juicy red and dark fruits (think plum, raspberry and boysenberry) augmented by a gentle spice and hints of garrique. The mouthfeel is viscous and rich yet buoyant, nimble and fresh resulting in sheer pleasure for the palate.
Eric Bonnet, winemaker in the Courthézon commune (for La Bastide Saint Dominique, Châteauneuf du Pape, Côtes du Rhône, Cairanne) decided to create La Réserve Saint Dominique in order to offer his clients a selection of Rhône Valley Crus and wines to complement the current range he produces. The secret to the success of this cuvée of La Reserve Saint Dominique is sourcing high-quality grapes, which one can taste in every sip.
The vines for La Réserve Saint Dominique are 20-35 years old on a plot of land at the foot of Mont Ventoux at an elevation of 1500 feet. The higher altitude coupled with superb sun exposure produces grapes of exceptional quality rarely found at this price-point. And the commune is somewhat protected from the famous Mistral winds due to the Ventoux-Vaucluse-Luberon mountain range particularly Mont Ventoux, which looks down over the Rhône Valley to the west and Provence to the south and east.
With football in full swing and fall weather possibly making its way to our shores soon, this wine will work for both last-of-the-season heat waves and cooler climes and the foods that go with each.
La Reserve Saint Dominique is a delicious, crowd-pleasing wine available at a great price. This is one to grab by the case to enjoy with family and close friends.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Ventoux Reserve Saint Dominique is a 100% Grenache, négociant bottling by this Châteauneuf-based producer, but it's seriously good juice. Raspberries, anise and black cherries provide ample complexity in this medium to full-bodied wine that's ripe, expansive and supple, with a long, mouthwatering finish. Drink it over the next 4-5 years."
- Item #: i_351463Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Similarly colored to the classic cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Quet is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre. It offers a huge, rich, powerful style that never goes over the top and stays balanced and graceful. Currants, toasted spices, caramelized beef, and exotic notes all flow to a massively textured, powerhouse of a wine that has a stacked mid-palate, a bombastic personality, and a great finish. It needs two to three years of bottle age but is an incredible, heady, powerful wine."
- Item #: i_351461Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Tintot offers more black fruits, olive tapenade, charred meats and graphite, as well as a huge, concentrated, incredibly pure style on the palate. While the Quet is all about opulence and pleasure, this has a more focused, pure style, while not losing a beat on concentration and purity. I'd gladly put this up against Beaucastel's Hommage cuvée. Enjoy this incredible expression of Châteauneuf du Pape anytime over the coming 20-25 years."
- Item #: i_353200Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL AND ORGANIC WINE <
This bottling from Domaine Gramenon’s Maxime-François Laurent is fresh and beautifully balanced, with a bouquet of blackberries, black cherries, chamomile, pepper, tobacco, and spices. A 70% Grenache—30% Syrah blend, Orpiment bears hints of the olive and savory trademarks of its northern Rhône full-Syrah cousins. It is drinking well already and will only get better with a few years’ time. This paired nicely with a butternut and spinach lasagna on a recent Tuesday night, but it is versatile enough to accompany a steak or pizza, too. Optimal with a slight chill.
- Item #: i_351353Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98VINOUS 96-98 POINTS - "Dark purple. A highly expressive, mineral-accented bouquet evokes fresh blackberry and blueberry, candied flowers, incense and exotic spices. Sweet, palate-staining black and blue fruit liqueur and violet pastille flavors are complicated by suggestions of cracked pepper and bitter chocolate; a spicecake nuance gains strength with aeration. Steadily building tannins add shape and grip to the extremely long, incisive finish, which emphatically repeats the floral and mineral notes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this wine turn out as well as the amazing 2015 version."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The flagship 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle is slightly more focused and concentrated, yet is still one sexy red that shines in the vintage. Inky colored, with loads of toasted spices, smoked meats and graphite characteristics, it has full-bodied richness, a terrific core of ripe Syrah fruit, fine tannin, and a great finish. Give it 2-4 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Winemaker Jacques Devernois likens the 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle to a woman’s red dress, calling it charming and flashy. It looks like it will appeal young, as this prospective sample had ample concentration but was also supple in feel. Hints of smoke, crushed stone and pencil shavings frame cassis fruit in this full-bodied and creamy-textured wine. It finishes long, with hints of vanilla and great freshness. (JC)
- Item #: i_351178Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 94-96JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "From a scorcher of a vintage that had tiny yields, the 2017 Crozes Hermitage Domaine De Thalabert offers a deep purple color as well as a classic Thalabert bouquet of black fruits, black olive, iodine, and peppery herbs. It’s a rich, rounded, sumptuous beauty that has plenty of sweet fruit, moderate tannins, and a great finish. It’s not going to match the 2015, but it’s a rocking wine I’d be thrilled to drink."
- Item #: i_353825\Bottle Size: 750mlThe NV Clos Des Papes Vin De Table “Le Petit Vin D’Avril” Rouge is a deep, rich purple in the glass with distinct aromas of wild berries, herbs and spices, bitter almond, cloves and star anise. Smooth on the palate and of fine structure. Bewitching to the finish.
- Item #: i_353972Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 92 POINTS - "From lieux-dits Pied Long (75-year-old Grenache) and Pignan (50-year-old Mourvèdre). It may only be medium-bodied, but its searching and concentrated. Wild cherry, and a pleasing touch of almond-stone bitterness on the finish. Not over the top in terms of alcohol. Very mineral and straight, its texture holds the wine upright."