- Item #: i_334227Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "This too flirts with brett though in this case it is so subtle that I almost hesitate to mention it as it's very much a background element on the otherwise pungently earthy purple fruit and floral scents. The fresh, energetic and highly detailed middle weight plus flavors possess excellent concentration and minerality before concluding in a linear, intense and youthfully austere finish. Given that this is not in bottle it's hard to know what may be done and thus my range offers the benefit of the doubt."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(from old vines on white, rocky soil above Les Rugiens; vinified with 15% whole clusters): Bright medium red. Red berries and smoky minerality on the nose. Suave, seamless and intense, conveying a touch of medicinal austerity that brings freshness for the year. Finishes with firm, rising tannins and excellent lingering flavor intensity. Rossignol believes the wine's slightly roasted quality is a function of its minerality rather than from oak. And he noted that even if the pH here went as high as 3.8, he would not adjust the wine's acidity due to its chalky, saline character and inherent energy."
- Item #: i_352214Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93BURGHOUND 93 POINTS: "Classic ruby with no bricking. A maturing and highly complex and nuanced nose of red and black cherry fruit aromas nuanced by spice, damp earth and game notes leads to medium weight, sappy, refined and intense flavors that display outstanding precision and superb length. This is ripe and pure and finishes with a very appealing stony quality to complement the outstanding persistence. For my taste, this has reached a stage where it could be drunk now with pleasure or held for another 3-ish plus years first. A really lovely and harmonious effort."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "Ponsot's 2001 Clos de la Roche Grand Cru Cuvée Vieilles Vignes is going from strength to strength, and this bottle was showing beautifully, wafting from the glass with notes of red plums, smoked duck, cherries, spices, mustard seed and potpourri. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and concentrated, with chalky but melting tannins, tangy acids and a long, stony finish. Somewhat rustic in profile, it isn't the most elegant vintage of Ponsot's Clos de la Roche, but it's beginning to drink well today."
- Item #: i_333340Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 92-95 POINTS: "Once again there is just enough reduction present to mask the underlying fruit but not the earth and underbrush elements; moreover it is sufficiently light that I doubt that it will persist for very long. Otherwise there is a slightly finer mouth feel to the sleek, intense and muscular mineral-driven flavors that explode on the sappy, rich and balanced finale that displays strikingly good length. However, note well that like the Charmes, this is definitely not constructed for early drinking so be prepared to have at least some patience."
- Item #: i_333343Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 95-97 POINTS "DON'T MISS": "A discreet application of wood does not reduce the considerable appeal of the ripe, pure and airy nose with its broad mélange of wild red berry fruit liqueur, earth, spice, violets and a hint of animale. The broad-shouldered flavors possess superb mid-palate concentration that enrobes the buried but still quite firm tannins while culminating in a beautifully balanced, muscular and explosively long finish. This is also very clearly built to age yet like the Clos St. Denis, there is so much sap that this could be drunk now with pleasure. A 'wow' wine."
- Item #: i_333537Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS: "A slightly more elegant if still deeply pitched nose features aromas of red and dark raspberry, earth, floral nuances and an interesting hint of smoked meat. Consistent with the elegance of the nose the medium-bodied flavors are a bit finer as well though they certainly don't lack for power, punch and concentration, indeed this is even more firstly structured and the tannic spine makes it indisputably clear that this is going to be a long-distance runner.'
- Item #: i_333349Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 95DECANTER 95 POINTS - "A blend of four parcels worked as a joint venture since 2009. Dark fruits on the nose with Pinot lift and great intensity and purity. Very ripe with no trace of jamminess, while firm tannins give grip and structure. Very assertive now but has great energy and drive. A wine of great splendour and potential."
- Item #: i_352243Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Clos de la Roche Grand Cru Cuvée Vieilles Vignes is superb, bursting from the glass with aromas of juicy cherries, peonies, blood orange, licorice, raw cocoa and espresso roast. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and succulent, with a concentrated, layered mid-palate, satiny structuring tannins and vibrant underlying acidity, concluding with a long finish. Harvested on October 7 at a comparatively high yield by Ponsot's standards of 38 hectoliters per hectare, this year seems to have been perfectly adapted to Ponsot's style. Vibrant, elegant and expressive, the 2016 is quite different from the richer, more powerful 2015, but in the fullness of time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpassing its brawnier elder sibling."
- Item #: i_353393Bottle Size: 750mlFrom importer Kermit Lynch: Jean-Marc’s wines certainly express a certain depth and sumptuousness, however his wines also show focus and restraint. Their elegance and amazing precision lend themselves to long aging in the cellars. Jean-Marc loves cooking believes the strong mineral backbone of his wines and their fresh acidity marry well with food. This is why one is more likely to find their wines in restaurants rather than in wine shops.
- Item #: i_353648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 94 PointsDecanter: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS - "This old vine cuvée from a 0.72ha parcel is typical of the domaine's style: feminine if you like, or just fragrant and elegant. Showing subtle reduction that promises a bright future in bottle, it's chalky, minerally and precise with focussed red fruit flavours and lacy tannins."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "From a warm site that typically produces the most accessible of Berthod's premiers crus, the 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Aux Beaux Bruns soars from the glass with aromas of ripe raspberries and cherries that mingle with nuances of licorice, rose petals and dark chocolate. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, ample and generous, with a gourmand and expressive core of fruit, velvety tannins and succulent balancing acids. Reminiscent of Barthod's terrific 2000, this will be hard to resist in its youth, but it should see out its 20th birthday in style."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Aux Beaux Bruns was the first to be picked this year, partly because the vineyard tends to suffer more millerandage. The bouquet offers black brambly fruit laced with violet and iris aromas. The palate is one of the most structured from the domaine this year, offering layers of mineral-rich black fruit and real tension toward the finish. Quite cerebral – and superb."
- Item #: i_353646Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Ghislaine Barthod's two parcels of Charmes are both in the more southerly part of the premier cru and can make one of the more reticent wines in her line up. That's far from the case here though, as this is all about rose petal and summer berry aromas with bright, vivacious acidity, subtle 30% new oak integration and a sweet, lingering finish."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes 1er Cru was showing some reduction on the nose when I tasted the wine from barrel. The palate is medium-bodied with sorbet-fresh red fruit, wonderful backbone and tension and just a touch of sherbet toward the vivacious finish. This will turn into a pretty Chambolle."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - " Barthod's 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes unfurls in the glass with the quintessential Chambolle bouquet of raspberries, rose petals and sweet spices, with only subtle hints of the savory complexity to come with bottle age. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, layered and expansive, with a deep and ample core of succulent fruit framed by fine, delicately chalky tannins, concluding with a long and beautifully delineated finish. It's an impeccable wine that once again evokes the brilliant 2000 rendition."
- Item #: i_353647Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 92-94VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Les Gruenchers 1er Cru comes replete with veins of blue fruit on the nose, perhaps giving just a little nod toward Vosne-Romanée in style. The palate is medium-bodied with quite grippy tannin compared to the domaine’s other crus. It feels quite saline and peppery toward a finish with a long aftertaste. This is one of their more intellectual offerings this year."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Gruenchers is a stunning success, bursting with aromas of Griotte cherries, raspberries, rose petals, wild plums and blood orange. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny and beautifully pure, with a deep core of superbly vibrant and well-defined fruit. Its ample mid-palate is framed by elegantly melting tannins, concluding with a long and fragrant finish. Heavily frosted in 2016, the Gruenchers returns with a vengeance this year."
- Item #: i_353649Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 94 PointsDecanter: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS - "This wine is sourced from a 0.37ha parcel positioned high on the slope to the north of the village. It's taut, tangy and focussed, with minerally precision, bright acidity and crunchy pomegranate and red cherry flavours."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Véroilles is showing beautifully, wafting from the glass with aromas of cassis, blackberries, warm spices and a subtle framing of new wood. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and concentrated, with a richly structured and tight-knit core, a bright line of acidity and a long, mineral finish. Along with the Cras, this gets my nod as likely Barthod's longest-lived wine of the vintage.
- Item #: i_352050Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "A more muscular, deeper-pitched expression of the commune, the 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes offers up lovely aromas of red cherries, raw cocoa, espresso roast, grilled squab and forest floor. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and layered, with a broad-shouldered chassis of fine but firm structuring tannins, beautiful purity of fruit and a long, penetrating finish. It's a stunning wine in the making, but patience will be required."
- Item #: i_333006Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90-92VINOUS 91-93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Les Chatelots 1er Cru has a floral bouquet with wilted rose petals infusing the well-defined, transparent red fruit. The palate is well balanced with a sorbet-like entry and a fine bead of acidity, not deep or concentrated, but fresh and brimming with tension. This will surely be difficult to resist in its youth."
- Item #: i_361659Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 95 POINTS: ""Here too the nose is quite restrained with its admirably pure aromas of red cherry, dark currant, spice and earth along with notes of violet and lavender. I very much like the sense of underlying tension to the succulent, indeed even juicy, medium weight plus flavors that exude a subtle salinity on the tautly muscular and firm finish that flashes just a hint of youthful austerity. This isn't quite as complex as the Chambertin but it's close and it may well close the gap over time as this is also very clearly structured for mid to even longer-term keeping."
- Item #: i_351660Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "A brooding deeply pitched and softly spicy nose reflects plenty of earth and sauvage characters to the dark berry aromas that are trimmed in soft wood nuances. There is excellent size, weight and power to the muscular flavors that exude a subtle minerality on the imposingly structured and youthfully austere finish that is sneaky long. This is a big 2017 that is supported by chewy but not really rustic tannins that make clear that at least some patience is advisable."