- Item #: i_352596Bottle Size: 750mlBenjamin Leroux started his negociant business in 2007 after he left Domaine Comte Armand, his sizeable estate is located just outside of the Beaune ‘ring’ D470 (or as I like to call it, the Beaune ‘M25’). Even though this Maison is a fairly big operation in terms of total production size, he usually only produces a couple of barrels of each cuvee. Benjamin sources his grapes through 3 methods, 1) manages the vineyards (mostly organic/ biodynamic) / works closely with growers and picks the grapes, 2) buys the grapes from growers and, 3) his own vineyards (i.e. Meursualt Genevrieves, etc). Benjamin Leroux never buys juice/ wine as the quality tends to be unreliable and there is no guarantee the wines are what they say they are.
- Item #: i_352565Bottle Size: 750mlBenoit and Valérie Lahaye registered their property as completely biodynamic in 2003, quite a big decision in such a marginal climate. Their vines cover eleven acres mostly in the Montagne de Reims villages of Bouzy (Grand Cru) and Tauxières (Premier Cru) with the balance situated in the Cote de Blancs hamlet of Vertus (Premier Cru). As one would suspect, Lahaye, with their Bouzy holdings and dexterous biodynamic farming, makes a striking Blanc de Noirs. The wine has been aged 20% in tank and 80% in vat with lees stirring to add even more depth while ample ageing further rounds things out. This is 100% Pinot Noir bottling was disgorged in October 2017 with a 5 g/l dosage.
- Item #: i_352567Bottle Size: 750mlOnly the most dedicated and courageous growers would dare to practice biodynamic viticulture in a climate that is as cool and damp as Champagne’s. Benoit Lahaye is one of these brave souls, having been a practitioner of natural winegrowing since the early 1990s. Made entirely from 36-year-old Pinot Noir vines in the vineyard of "Les Juliennes" in the Grand Cru village of Bouzy, this very reddish rosé is effusively fruity on the nose, displaying deep aromas of just-squeezed strawberries and raspberries. The light (3 g/l) dosage and absence of malolactic fermentation work in concert to give the red berry flavors extra brilliance and intensity.
- Item #: i_379253Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 35% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Noir, and 30% Pinot Meunier drawn from the family's organically farmed vineyards in Ludes (35%), Ormes (30%), Mareuil-le-Port (25%), and Trepail (10%). The 2015 vintage makes up 65% of the cuvee with rest being a reserve mix from older vintages. it was dissgorged in January 2019 and topped with a with dosage of 7g/l.
- Item #: i_375282Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS-"2009 was the first vintage of Rosé that bore the new name of “Campania Remensis” on the label. The cuvée now takes its name from the Latin term for the countryside outside of Reims 40 that was used during Roman times here. The wine all hails from fruit grown in the village of Orme on the Petite Montagne, with the cépages sixty-five percent Pinot Noir, thirty percent Chardonnay and five percent red still wine (again Pinot Noir). The 2013 Campania Remensis was disgorged in March of 2017 and was showing beautifully a year out from its disgorgement, offering up a very refined and pure nose of strawberries, white cherries, a touch of orange zest, chalk and a topnote of dried flowers. On the palate the wine is crisp, full-bodied, elegant and marvelously balanced, with a good core, fine focus and grip, lovely, delicate mousse and a very long, complex and vibrant finish. First class Rosé! 2018-2035."
- Item #: i_325575Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 92-93 POINTS-"The Beaux Regards bottling is made entirely from estate-grown Chardonnay from the Bérêche family’s vineyards in their home village of Ludes. This had only been disgorged in January of 2018 and was still a bit unsettled in mid-March, but the underlying quality here was still quite apparent. The complex bouquet offers up scents of pear, lemon, chalky soil tones, a hint of buttery oak, fresh almond and white flowers in the upper register. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied, long and elegant in profile, with pinpoint bubbles, a good core and fine length and grip on the very well-balanced finish. The precision that this wine will eventually display was not in evidence after the fairly recent disgorgement, and for that reason I scored the wine in a range, but I would fully expect it to snap into exact focus with a bit more bottle age (it probably has already done so) and rate at the top of my range. It seems likely that the 2014 Beaux Regards will blossom completely a bit ahead of the 2013 Rilly bottling, but this again, could just be an impression caused by its more recent disgorgement. 2018-2035+.
- Item #: i_325548Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS-"The soon to be released version of Bérêche et Fils non-vintage “Brut Réserve” is going to be excellent. The wine is its customary blend of one-third each of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Meunier, with the wine having been disgorged in January of 2017. As is typical of this bottling, one-third of the blend is reserve wines and the finishing dosage was 6.5 grams per liter. This is really a lovely wine in the making, offering up a youthful and classy bouquet of apple, pear, chalky soil tones, brioche and just a whisper of buttery oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, complex and focused, with lovely mousse, excellent balance and grip and a long, zesty and nascently complex finish. A superb non-vintage bottling. 2018-2035. (07/18)
PETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"It's ample in body, its creammy notes of stone fruits, orange citrus and green apple underlind by stony minerality, and it finishes with excellent length and depth." This is made of roughly equal parts Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Meunier, and 70 percent of it was vinified in barrel. The base wine is a blend of the 2013 and 2014 vintages. It was disgorged in January of 2017 with a dosage of 7 grams per liter.
- Item #: i_350343Bottle Size: 750ml100% Cabernet Franc, Baudry's rosé is drawn from vines rooted in the gravel terroir of Grézeaux and a rented parcel, Les Balais, originally planted by Matthieu's father some 30 years ago. In contrast to Grézeaux, Les Balais is on clay/flintstone (silex) and Baudry suggests the minerality you can taste in this wine is thanks to the silex in the soils and the mature vines. Picked by hand, there is a brief skin contact and then the wine ferments via indigenous yeasts, 2/3 in the domaine's Italian-made concrete tanks and the remainder in stainless steel. The wine is classically pale and tinged with wild red fruits and smoky, mineral aromas and flavours. There is some extra texture in the mouth - thanks to 2016's low yields - yet, as always, the personality of the wine emphasises delicacy, finesse and freshness.
- Item #: i_350617Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS: "Starting with the whites, and another great vintage, the 2015 Saint Joseph Blanc is as classic as they come. Offering lots of white peach, tangerine and floral notes in a fresh, concentrated, lively package that just begs to be drunk. This wine is a year in, year out no brainer, and while I like it in its first 3-4 years, it evolves gracefully. To give some perspective on when to drink these, the 2013 is incredible today, and I’ve tasted this cuvée going back over a decade with terrific results."
- Item #: i_350579Bottle Size: 750ml100% Syrah.
The powerful nose is showing black pepper, blackberries and subtle violet flavours. The taste is full-bodied and dense, with silky and firm tannins. It could be paired with lamb, beef and spicy dishes as well as a great array of strong cheeses. It could be cellared for more than 15 years or enjoyed in its youth by decanting for at least an hour before serving.
Domaine Gripa has named their top Saint Joseph cuvée “Berceau”. It is a selection of their oldest vines from the appellation. There is only one hectare of vines that produce this label. Exclusively planted on terraces, these challenging vineyards can only be maintained by hand. The granite soils of Saint Joseph provide great freshness to the wines, despite their low acidity.
- Item #: i_352255Bottle Size: 750ml94-96 POINTS VINOUS MEDIA, JOSH RAYNOLDS - "Inky, vivid purple. Highly perfumed, mineral-laced black and blue fruit, violet, smoked meat and incense qualities on the nose. Fleshy, sweet and expansive on the palate, offering densely packed yet surprisingly lively boysenberry, candied licorice, spicecake and violet flavors enlivened by an undercurrent of juicy acidity. Deftly blends richness and finesse and finishes extremely long and youthfully tannic, leaving floral pastille, star anise and dark berry liqueur notes behind."
- Item #: i_352031Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92The 2016 Maison La Berthaude is without a doubt our greatest value from Chateauneuf du Pape. When we tasted this wine we immediately knew it had a place in our store. After the price was revealed, we knew we had to grab as much as we could. We taste a lot of wine from the most famous appellation of the Southern Rhone and this wine competes favorably with wine two to three times its price of $24.99.
The Wine Advocate is also a fan and gave this wine a 92 Point rating, noting it is a "big, rich wine."
Last year, our customers scooped up the "Tradition" bottling of this wine by the case. That wine was absolutely delicious, but this is a step up in quality. This Chateauneuf is a special old vine cuvee from Berthaude which showcases the brilliance of the 2016 growing season in the Rhone Valley. It also shows the incredible mid-palate persistence one gets from low yielding old vines. Its depth of flavor and generosity of perfectly ripened fruit had us asking for more!
Xavier Rolin is the 5th generation of winemakers in his family and he is a cousin of the famous Perrin Family of Chateau Beaucastel. His family domaine is based in Chateauneuf du Pape in the district of the Berthaude, thus the name Maison la Berthaude.
Berthaude's Rhone blend is comprised of 70% Grenache, 15% Syrah and 15% Mourvedre. The vines are planted on two types of soil. The first is clay and limestone subsoil covered by the famous galets roules (large riverbed rounded stones). The second type of soil contains more sand and fashions wines with higher toned aromatics and finesse. Some of the vines are more than 100 years old and the average vine age at the domaine is about 60 years old. These old vines result in low yields and increased concentration of flavors.
This has to be the best Chateauneuf available anywhere at this price. It is a fantastic wine that is a definite crowd pleaser which completely over delivers and would be a great one to grab by the case.
Bright ruby in color. The aromatics alone make this wine compelling with expressive notes of violets, fresh red and black cherries, black raspberry, vanilla and baking spice. On the palate, this wine is full-bodied and lushly textured with layers of fruit enveloping the palate. Richly flavored Kirsch, black raspberry, vanilla, licorice and gentle spices merge and culminate in a long, satisfying finish that showcases the amazing fruit of the vintage.
ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS - "Hints of cedar and baking spices add modern touches to the full-bodied 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes. It's a big, rich wine, filled with cherries and red berries, turning a bit tannic on the long, cinnamon-dusted finish."
- Item #: i_352756Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Berthet-Bondet is located in the subregion of Château-Chalon, the heartland of the Jura. The 2016 Trio was made of three grape varieties, 50% Trousseau, 30% Poulsard, and 20% Pinot Noir, all organically farmed and hand harvested. Berries were sorted, destemmed, and underwent a short maceration to extract desired flavors, color, and tannins. Fermentation and maturation were conducted in stainless steel tanks. Primary aromas and flavors included strawberry, red cherry, tomato leaf, tea, tarragon, juniper, and rhubarb. Tertiary notes included dusty trail and cherry compote.
- Item #: i_351597Bottle Size: 750mlA typically broader, more generous wine of strong spice tones and dark fruit expression. This wine is juicy and pure, showing a penetrating quality and delicate minerality to the flavors of red berries and flowers.
- Item #: i_351093Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "I have noticed serious bottle variation with this wine, but recently it has been consistently scoring in the 94-96 point range. Beautifully sweet, slightly herbaceous black currant, licorice, and earthy notes emerge from this nearly opaque, dark ruby/purple-tinged 1982. Compared to the more elegant, feminine-styled wine often produced here, it is a beast. Dense, thick, rich, concentrated, and impressive, it can be drunk now and over the next two decades."
- Item #: i_345550Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "One of the more polished, sexy examples of the cuvee, the 2015 Côtes du Roussillon Villages Latour de France Occultum Lapidem checks in as a blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and the balance Carignan and Mourvèdre, aged all in concrete tanks. It boasts killer notes of black raspberries, cassis, pepper and licorice, with just a hint of chocolate appearing with time in the glass. This medium to full-bodied, layered and beautifully textured red is an incredible value and will be impossible to resist over the coming 4-5 years, and I'm sure it will keep even longer."
- Item #: i_351912Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Decanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "This great vineyard can, in some incarnations and for no obvious reason, almost seem to acquire a seaweedy, marine allure and an umami intrigue inside its cascade of stony citrus and restrained green apple. That's the case here, all amplified by the wine’s intensity, depth and textural poise."
- Item #: i_378646Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 91JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS - "The Brut Réserve bottling from Billecart-Salmon is identical in cépages to the Extra Brut, with the sole differences in the wines being that the Brut Réserve receives a judicious dosage of seven grams per liter. Not surprisingly, the current release is excellent, offering a complex nose of pear, warm biscuits, a fine base of complex soil tones, gentle notes of lime peel and a nice touch of white roses in the upper register. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied, complex and very refined in profile, with a lovely core, pinpoint bubbles, bright, well-integrated acids and a very long, tangy and elegant finish. I have had some previous renditions of Brut Réserve that seemed a bit bound up by their structural elements out of the blocks and in need of some bottle age to blossom, but the current release will drink beautifully right from the outset."
INTERNATIONAL WINE CELLAR 91 POINTS - "Light yellow-gold. Orange and pear aromas are complemented by notes of vanilla bean and honeysuckle. Silky in texture and nicely precise, with juicy orchard fruit flavors and a tangy note of Meyer lemon. Dry but in no way austere. Blends depth and energy smoothly and finishes with excellent clarity and nervy cut."
- Item #: i_373506Bottle Size: 1.5LJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A gorgeous rosé Champagne with sliced strawberries, orange peel and hints of cream and pie crust. Medium body, tight and integrated tannins and a long and flavorful finish. Tangy acidity. The texture shows a fine bead and lightness. Long and intense. Drink now."