- Item #: i_352750Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Givry 1er Cru Crausot is a more gourmand expression of Givry, wafting from the glass with notions of ripe red fruits, fruit compote and licorice. On the palate, it's medium-bodied, velvety and ample, its fine tannins cloaked in juicy fruit. It will be hard to resist in its youth."
- Item #: i_325478Bottle Size: 750mlCertified biodynamic (BIODYVIN)
Vin Cent for Vincent Deseaubeau, (a.k.a. Mr. Bubbles) and Vin Cent Bulle because it sounds like Vin Sans Bulles or vine without bubbles. The first release was the 2011 vintage which was made from 100% Pinot Meunier pressed directly and aged for 22 months in enameled tank and French oak barrels. Successive vintages resemble more closely the estate’s vins clairs with small portions of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir making it into the final blend.
- Item #: i_347642Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Chalky on the nose, this clean-cut Champagne is creamy in texture and elegant, offering a subtle mesh of biscuit, green pear, ground ginger and lemon zest notes. A fine aperitif, with a racy finish."
Breaking with convention Grand Cordon has no front label : The G.H. Mumm signature and eagle emblem are printed in gold directly on the glass. Another striking feature of the design is its shape, which necessitated a whole series of innovations to the traditional champagne production process.
The most eye-catching feature of the Mumm Grand Cordon bottle is its reinterpretation of the famous Cordon Rouge red sash, transformed into a genuine red ribbon, which – in a feat of technology – is actually indented in the glass.
- Item #: i_353818Bottle Size: 750mlThis biodynamic, low-ABV red is nothing short of delicious. High-toned notes of red cherries, cranberries, crushed flowers, and pepper dominate the wine’s tart and tasty palate. The blend here is 50% Gamay from Fleurie, Syrah from Côte Rôtie, Mondeuse from Savoie, and Pinot Noir d'Alsace
- Item #: i_374658Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90TERRY THEISE'S NOTES-"It's like the poster child for farmer fizz, the first white Ay. ..from a single vintage-2013 in this instance-[though]it is not a "vintage" wine. [Disgorged 07/17], it's one of the best editions of this wine, complex, animated almost to the point of brashness; mealy, jasmine and ginger, still a little angular but has a great future in store-in the 1-3 year range (not to mention the 35-40 year range), which you will infer from the long and savory finish."
- Item #: i_376337Bottle Size: 750mlDisgorged in July 2019, the latest release of Gaston Chiquet's NV Brut Rosé Premier Cru is showing very well, bursting with aromas of fresh peach, red berries, mint, green apples, rhubarb and pastry cream. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, crisp and fleshy, with a charming core of fruit, racy acids and a lingering, flavorful finish.
- Item #: i_374661Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-This has a bright rose-hip and pink-fruit nose with a gently chalky edge. The palate has beautiful strawberry fruits and is really fresh and focused. Great finesse here. Polished tannins. Rich and pure. Drink now. A blend of 2010 and 2011: 50% Meunier, 40% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_353707Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Leully area above Nuits, lieu-dit le Champ des Allouettes, south-facing hillside, mostly limestone soil.
100% de-stemmed, 18-21 days indigenous yeast fermentation in stainless steel tanks with mostly pump-overs (punch-downs at end of fermentation). Aged for 16 months in barrel (33% new oak)
- Item #: i_399922Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 - 94 POINTS - "This is a structured wine, with solid, smoky tannins. It has a strong core of dryness, tough at the edges even if rich in the middle. Blackberries and dark plum skins dominate the fruit flavors. It is going to develop well, although slowly.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Grand-Mayne has a fragrant bouquet, perhaps more refined than in recent years with dried rose petals and incense fusing with the red berry fruit. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, crisp acidity and a gentle build towards a vivid, lightly spiced finish that maintains impressive delineation, perhaps less extracted and more precise than wines of the past. This is a superb Grand-Mayne that represents a subtle change in tack for the estate—one that this writer approves of. Tasted on three occasions and consistent every time."
- Item #: i_352940Bottle Size: 750mlIn only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.
AB organic certification
Organic (since 2003) Vinification: 100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeasts, no new oak except Arboises (80% new) and Brézé (40%), no fining, filtration if needed.
- Item #: i_367999Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Burghound: 90The cellars of Champagne Guy Larmandier are located in the village of Vertus at the southern base of the Cote des Blancs. This estate owns 9 hectares of vineyards, all located within the Cote des Blancs and distributed amongst the Grand Cru rated villages of Chouilly and Cramant and the 1er Cru rated vineyards of Vertus and Cuis.
Harvest is conducted manually, the Champagnes are aged a minimum of 36 months on the lees and the Champagnes destined for the US market are disgorged on order and receive a minimal dosage so as to emphasize the purity and finesse of this special terroir.
- Item #: i_352758Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS - "They have managed to get the Haut de Smith signature in this wine, and for me it is one of the most successful whites of the vintage in terms of accessibility and affordability. It has so much personality, showing grilled apricots and concentrated, rich citrus, with rosemary and sage edging and a mineral lick on the finish. The acidity gives persistency and lift, but it feels tame and under control. Harvested 24 August to 9 September, so at least 10 days earlier than usual. 50% new oak. An obvious buy for the vintage."
- Item #: i_375687Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90A very light straw yellow color with lots of bubbles. The nose has light fresh bread, green apple, and a hint of orange. weet and succulent on the palate. Juicy apple. Creamy and warm. As it warms, it has an orange citrus feeling on the midrange. This stuff rocks.
- Item #: i_317706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90PETER LEIM 2 STARS -"This is 82 percent Pinot Noir from Mareuil, Avenay Val d’Or, Bisseuil and Hautvillers, blended with 18 percent Mareuil chardonnay. Over half of the blend (53 percent) is reserve wine from 2013 and 2012, and with a trio of vintages like this, it’s no surprise that this is one of the finest editions of this cuvée that Hébrart has ever produced. Generous in body yet streamlined in shape, it’s marked by a silky texture and vibrant depth of fruit, offering both a strong Grande Vallée identity and sheer delicious appeal." Last tasted: 3/17
Importer Terry calls this THE unsung hero of his portfolio.
- Item #: i_374845Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 91 POINTS-"Serge Billiot farms five hectares in Ambonnay, with all of his vins clairs fermented in enamel-lined tanks and not undergoing malolactic fermentation. The cépages is always at least seventy-five percent Pinot Noir, with the balance of the blend made up of Chardonnay. The current release offers up a fine nose of peach, apple, fresh-baked bread, really lovely soil tones, blossoming notes of patissière and a topnote of dried flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and nascently complex, with a fine core, properly broad shoulders, frothy mousse and very good length and grip on the focused and still fairly youthful finish. This is quite tasty today, but there will be even more backend generosity here with a couple of years in the cellar. A fine example..."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "An elegant Champagne, featuring a firm, acidic frame, finely meshed with a detailed mousse and flavors of ripe apple, toasted raisin bread, fleur de sel, peach skin and star anise. Offers a lingering, chalk-tinged finish. Disgorged September 2014."
- Item #: i_334109Bottle Size: 750MLThe Gouges family has been vineyard proprietors in Nuits for generations and proprietors of the current domaine since 1919. Domaine Henri Gouges Bourgogne Rouge has a great color and a lovely Pinot nose. Very fresh and earthy on the palate, supple with roasted nut elements.
Allen Meadows - Burghound - "A fresh, cool and distinctly earthy array of red and dark currant precedes punch and sleek middle weight flavors that offer fine length. This is less rustic than it usually is and it's worth considering."
- Item #: i_325404Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90TERRY THEISE +-"Yes, a plus. Shocked me too. This is 65% 2008, so maybe not so shocking after all. It’s unsurprisingly delicious, with ‘08’s silvery lift and a white-flower talc-y coolness. This is the best NV I’ve tasted here, and yes I did notice a small note of oxidation but I saw it as “antique” rather than decadent. And let’s remember: how many NV grower Champagnes have an 8-year old wine as the youngest year in the blend???"
- Item #: i_325470Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93VINOUS 91 POINTS -(51% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 14% still Pinot Noir, all from Aÿ; 9.6 g/l dosage; disgorged in February, 2014): Pale orange-pink. Bright, mineral-laced aromas of fresh red berries, blood orange and jasmine, with a subtle note of anise emerging slowly. Dry and spicy on the palate, offering nervy strawberry and tangerine flavors that unfurl with aeration. Shows very good clarity and bite on the close, leaving sexy floral and chalky mineral notes behind.
- Item #: i_353676Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS: "The 2018 Vouvray Clos du Bourg Moelleux is ripe and already quite open on the remarkably fine and precise nose where delicate chalky notes intermix with yeasty aromas of ripe apples and even very fine flinty hints. On the palate, this is a sweet, lush, salty-piquant and refined but tightly woven Chenin with structure, remarkable finesse, tickling salinity and serious but fine tannins, as if it was a Pinot Noir. Filigreed and feminine on the tongue, the 2018 develops a long, tensioned, tightly woven and stimulatingly salty finish. Great class and aging potential."
- Item #: i_353678Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97These are the finest, purest, most delicate yet also intense Vouvrays I have had from Huet in recent years - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
Fans shouldn't miss the chance to buy some of the world's finest Chenin Blancs, which are still spectacularly moderate in price - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
We just received an allocation of the 2019 vintage from Domaine Huet and are thrilled to have enough of these rare wines to offer them in an email. Only 4 wines were made in this vintage, three of which are dry (Sec) and one off-dry (Demi-Sec). They are all fantastic, complex and high scoring wines that are incredibly delicious. These wines possess a pleasing textural component and a minerality that enhances the pure orchard and citrus fruit flavors.
Since its founding in 1928, Vouvray's Domaine Huet has been the standard-bearer for great, age-worthy Chenin Blanc. The Wine Advocate's Stephan Reinhardt absolutely loves these wines, heaping high praise and scores on each one of the wines from this vintage. He wrote, "These are the finest, purest, most delicate yet also intense Vouvrays I have had from Huet in recent years."
The Clos du Bourg is another stellar Chenin: ripe, deep, rich and complex yet also pure and vital, with great finesse and elegance and an impressive finish. The 2019 is probably the most amazing Clos de Bourg I have tasted as a young wine!"
The domaine's founder, Victor Huet, was a Parisian bistro owner who re-settled to the town of Vouvray in the beautiful Loire Valley after WW1. He soon purchased the first of his great vineyards, Le Haut-Lieu, in 1928, and Domaine Huet was born.
Victor's son Gaston worked with his father from the beginning, and assumed full charge by 1937. With an obsessive devotion to quality, and an engaging showman's personality, Gaston built the Huet legacy over the next 55 years.
As the estate prospered in the post-WWII era, Gaston secured two additional prime vineyards on the Premiere Cote that would ensure the domaine's stature: Le Mont (purchased in 1957) and Clos du Bourg (farmed since 1953, purchased in 1963). Collectively, these three vineyards, and the wines made from them, account for Huet being the greatest of all Vouvray producers.
Gaston was joined in 1971 by his son-in-law, Noel Pinguet, and 1979 by chef de culture, Jean-Bernard Berthome. Together, they crafted legendary wines from their three parcels-with the vineyards and nature dictating which grapes would become Sec, Demi-Sec, or Moelleux. The estate always held back significant stocks of older vintages, and these wines' near immortality has helped to further the Huet legend.
With Berthome in charge of winemaking since 2012, the domaine may be making its most consistently great wines ever. It was one of the earliest adopters of biodynamics, and recent wines, perhaps more than any in the domaine's history, achieve a fascinating level of transparency, purity, and knife-edged balance.
The wines from Domaine Huet are among the greatest white wines in the world. Fortunately, they remain quite affordable and offer amazing value. If you haven't had quality Chenin Blanc before, this is a great opportunity to try some of the best. If you've been lucky enough to enjoy Huet before, then you know that now is the time to grab these iconic wines.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2019 Vouvray Clos du Bourg Sec offers a deep, rich yet pure and refined, intensely aromatic, darker-toned nose with aromas of fully ripe stone and tropical fruit intertwined with earthy, chalky and yeasty notes that make up for further finesse and complexity. Full-bodied, round and fruity on the palate, this is a deep, intense, juicy, silky-textured yet tight, chalky, very complex, sustainably structured and persistently salty-mineral Chenin from old vines that give extra concentration as well as a spectacularly expressive character. This is a great, age-worthy Vouvray with fine tannins and lingering salty tension and finesse. What a finish! The 2019 needs a while to gain finesse and even more complexity. The wine served from the bottle that I tasted nine days before was incredibly amazing! The 2019 is a duty for all Chenin aficionados!"
- Item #: i_335640Bottle Size: 750mlNot technically a "grower-producer," everything Huré Frères does-from philosophy to farming to production-reflects a grower mentality. The operation was formed over a half-century ago by Jeanne and Georges Huré, who later handed it off to their three sons, and Huré Frères was officially born. Brothers Jean-Marie, Marc and Raoul successfully ran and expanded the business from 1971 until 2008, when Raoul's wine-educated and world-traveled sons, François and Pierre, took the helm. They are lovers of biodynamic principles and mirror a Burgundian mindset that you're guaranteed to notice in their bottlings. The firm's "introductory" Champagne abounds with appetizing aromas and flavors of cherries, plums and toasted bread that represent a cordial invitation to dinning pleasure and conviviality. It is a pleasing mix of 15% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir, and 50% Pinot Meunier based on the 2013 harvest blended with approximately 30% of reserve wines from previous vintages. It was aged up to 36 months on the lees before being finished with a dosage of 8 grams/liter.