- Item #: i_350643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90 - 92 POINTS "The 2016 Côte de Nuits-Villages finished its malolactic fermenation earlier than its siblings this year, and so it was racked in June. It has a gorgeous and pure bouquet of dark berry fruit, a hint of soy and mineral, all beautifully defined. The palate is medium-bodied with more red fruit than the Bourgogne Pinot Noir but, again, silky smooth in texture with startling panache and focus on the finish. What a fabulous wine."
BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS, OUTSTANDING TOP VALUE - "This is aromatically similar to the Bourgogne but with notably better complexity. The delicious, succulent and generously proportioned flavors possess a caressing mouthfeel where the fine depth flashed by the nose is also present on the finish. Lovely stuff that should offer much pleasure young but should also be capable of rewarding 5 to 7 years of cellaring too."
- Item #: i_350645Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Les Evocelles seems to have a natural swagger about it. Nothing ostentatious here, just a wine seemingly comfortable in its own skin with blackberry and crushed strawberry scents mixed with wet limestone. The palate is brimming with pure red fruit, just pure pinoté, just a joy from start to finish. I could have eloped with the barrel sample. Then again, that would not have pleased Denis."
- Item #: i_350604Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux was not affected by frost and yielded a good quantity to the surprise of Arnaud Mortet —30 hectoliters per hectare. Matured with 50% whole bunch and up to 70% new oak, it has a generous, almost peppermint-tinged bouquet with great vigor and vivacity. The palate is medium-bodied with ripe tannin, good weight and plenty of blood orange-tinged black fruit. It is slightly attenuated right on the finish but this should flesh out once in bottle. This is how to make a great Les Champeaux."
- Item #: i_350964Bottle Size: 750mlThis Premier Cru Volnay competes with the greats. Dense, deep, and wildly expressive, “Santenots-du-Milieu” is a towering achievement from one of Burgundy’s top organic and biodynamic producers: Dominique Lafon. This man spearheaded the movement toward organics in Burgundy and is widely celebrated for crafting singularly pure, terroir-defining wines—wines that are at once “natural” but also sublimely clean and precise in every way. “Santenots-du-Milieu” is ground zero for classic Pinot Noir.
- Item #: i_351626Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "A beautifully layered nose offers up notes of liqueur-like plum, warm earth and a lovely array of spice and floral elements. The exceptionally rich and generously proportioned flavors are unusually seductive in the context of what is typical for the appellation, all wrapped in a velvety, sappy and palate coating finish where a hint of wood appears. This too should drink well young."
WINE ADVOVCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was perhaps the one grand cru that I felt was a little disjointed and did not quite deliver the vivacity of the Chapelle-Chambertin or Latricières. It includes 40% whole bunch fruit and was depleted by 30% because of the frost, but it just came across a little dolorous at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little foursquare and conservative and just needs more of the flamboyance and blue fruit you associate with this vineyard. Maybe this Bonnes-Mares just got stage fright on the day I visited? They’ve done it! “What have they done, exactly," you rightfully ask. Well, Drouhin-Laroze has finally produced a clutch of wines commensurate with their stellar array of holdings. Without wishing any disrespect to Philippe Drouhin, since first encountering their wines in the late nineties, myself and other mavens felt that they were a bit 'over-produced.' Maybe picked too late? Certainly they were often burdened with an excessive use of new oak that obfuscated terroir, and when you have half a dozen grand crus under your wing, that is a shame."
- Item #: i_351884Bottle Size: 750mlThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. This village wine is from three parcels of about one hectare total size that are planted to vines of more than sixty years of age. The two primary parcels are in “Plantes Aux Barons” (.40 hectare) and “Charbonnieres” (.60 hectare), both of which are in Prémeaux on its northern border with Nuits. These low-yielding old vines produce a concentrated and classic Nuits.
- Item #: i_308564Bottle Size: 750MLThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. One of the first estates to grace our portfolio (in 1982), we began our work with this gem in the village of Vosne Romanée when Jean Forey, the father of Régis, was the reigning vigneron. We had been introduced to Monsieur Forey by Claudette Amiot, wife of Bernard Amiot, our very first grower contact in the Cote de Nuits. We have been working with the Forey domaine ever since our initial visit when we purchased the wines from the 1980 vintage for export to the USA. The 1987 vintage marked the entry of Régis into the domaine on a full-time basis and he became fully responsible for all aspects of production and winemaking with the 1989 vintage. In contrast to the wines of his father, who produced seductive wines of finesse and delicacy, Régis expresses a more masculine personality as his wines show exceptional concentration and depth. ROSENTHAL WINE MERCHANT
- Item #: i_344302Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Including many of the frosted lieux-dits that Roty normally bottle separately, the 2016 Marsannay unfurls in the glass with a deep bouquet of cassis, dark chocolate, grilled game and espresso roast. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, velvety and nicely concentrated, with excellent depth at the core and a long, penetrating finish. It's a decidedly superior Marsannay from Roty."
- Item #: i_334309Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90+Burghound: 91WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "Aromas of cassis, rich loamy soil, espresso roast and incense introduce the 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Champs-Chenys Vieilles Vignes, a medium to full-bodied wine that's quite firm and tangy this year, displaying impressive depth of fruit but also structuring acids and tannins that will require some bottle age."
- Item #: i_352530Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90+WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur Bas offers up aromas of cherries, plums, spices and forest floor, framed by a subtle touch of toasty new oak. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, chalky and firm, with good concentration but a tauter, more linear profile than the 2017 rendition. It will demand some time."
- Item #: i_350573Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS > - "Pure and intense, featuring cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors, this red is seductive and approachable despite its youth. The solid structure is seamlessly integrated and bodes well for future development. Shows terrific harmony and expression.'
VINOUS 92 - 95 POINTS - "Bright, dark red-ruby. Medicinal blueberry and licorice aromas are lifted by a minty high note; less showy and more restrained on the nose than the Taillepieds and Caillerets today. Then wonderfully dense, primary and pure on the palate, but more vertical and less opulent than the Taillepieds and Caillerets. Strong mineral energy accentuates the impression of vibrancy. A bit less open to inspection today owing to its firm tannic spine."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A fresh yet notably ripe nose is composed by liqueur-like aromas of plum, spice and earth. The delicious, refined and once again strikingly pure flavors are a bit less muscular and mineral-driven than those of the Taillepieds yet the tannic spine shaping the lingering if ever-so-slightly warm finish is just as firm. This is going to require at least moderate patience before it begins to be approachable. *Sweet Spot, Outstanding*"
- Item #: i_350536Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - " This too is reduced and the only aspect that I can mention is a subtle touch of wood. Otherwise there is notably better size, weight and richness as the medium-bodied flavors possess an admirable abundance of sappy dry extract that also buffers the firm but not hard core of tannins. This isn't refined but it's very Nuits and should age well but also drink well young thanks to the extract." - (Jan 15, 2018)
- Item #: i_345743Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88-91Light ruby. Perfumed and seductive. Quite appealing already. Just needs the acidity to settle down a little. Lightly sandy tannins on the end...
- Item #: i_351207Bottle Size: 750mlThe Lafarge's have been vignerons in Volnay since the 18th century. They started bottling in the early 1900's, a rarity for a small estate. They have had loyal customers for generations, selling their own wine in barrels to Parisian restaurants as far back as the 1850's. Their history may not be as visible as a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti but is perhaps even more remarkable. For it is easier, if not less honorable, for people whose income does not solely depend on an estate to pursue quality. And it is also harder to allow oneself to slip when one is constantly in the limelight. The greatness of these wines will hit you after you've visited the whole vintage, after you're familiar with everybody else's take. It's a year later and you've tasted back and forth throughout the Cote, you've done your work, you're intellectually armed. You spot that bottle of Lafarge. You know the estate intimately, you're a fan. What could possibly surprise you more than it being excellent. But at the first sip, the word genius escapes in a whisper. Because these wines are exactly what the vintage should be. And this, vintage after vintage, come rain or shine. The wines of Domaine Michel Lafarge are infallible. And they are so great they don't come to you, you have to work up to them.
- Item #: i_351204Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "The Mitans is lovely this year, opening in the glass with a pretty bouquet of cherry, raspberry, subtle coffee, game bird and a top note of peony. The wine is classy and deep, with a rich chassis of velvety tannins and a deep core of bright fruit. The finish is long and incipiently complex."
Drinking Window 2026 - 2040
- Item #: i_350007Bottle Size: 750mlNicolas represents the fifth generation of his family in Volnay. The viticulture of the domaine is inspired by biodynamics, but Nico is pragmatic, and although no weedkillers are used and the vineyards are maintained by ploughing, he says that there are both good and bad things in biodynamics, and he will use conventional fungicides to combat disease. Nicolas makes deeply-coloured, flavourful wines. Purple bright and with defined juicy fruit and very good body. Just racked, so hard to taste, but looks excellent
- Item #: i_351940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94ALLEN MEADOWS, BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "The ripe and ultra-fresh aromas are from the darker side of the fruit spectrum while including plenty of spice, warm earth, menthol and plenty of sauvage character. There is both fine detail and a beguiling texture to the equally broad-shouldered and even more mineral-inflected flavors that possess even better complexity on the balanced and hugely long finish. Unusually, this appears to be just a bit less structured than the Bressandes and should also be approachable on the younger side if that’s your preference." 2028+
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru has more richness and intensity than the Corton-Bressandes at this early stage, with layers of black cherry and raspberry coulis, brown spices and sous-bois surfacing with time. There is certainly good complexity here. The palate is fresh and detailed on the entry, fine-grained tannin, well-judged acidity and a lively, judiciously spiced finish that feels long and caressing. Bon vin."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "Full ruby-red. Darker and more reticent on the nose than the Bressandes, conveying a stronger element of stony minerality and a note of licorice. Then vivacious and sharply delineated in the mouth but much more closed than the Bressandes owing to its mineral energy. Finishes with suave, fine-grained tannins and excellent grip. Very classy juice!"
- Item #: i_345882Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 92 POINTS - "Bright, dark red. Slightly reduced nose shows the dark fruit side of Volnay along with a flinty quality. Densely packed and decidedly ripe (13.6% alcohol!), with redcurrant and dark cherry fruit flavors complicated by a note of black olive and subtle earth tones. Finishes with very ripe, chewy tannins and excellent length and grip. Manages to retain an element of Volnay suavity."
- Item #: i_351808Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "The Clos du Verseuil, a monopole of the domaine, is one of Clerget’s best cuvées in 2016. Matured in 30% new oak, it has a pure but rather reserved bouquet of raw cocoa, blackberry and cherry, leading into a full-bodied, ample and harmonious palate with a svelte, textural attack, perfectly ripe tannins and nicely succulent acidity. The combination of vibrant fruit with textural generosity is very alluring indeed." Drinking Window 2022 - 2040