- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As always, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes has a touch more dark fruits, more concentration, and more structure, which makes it less approachable but more age-worthy. Blackcurrants, ground pepper, bouquet garni, crushed rocks, and garrigue notes all emerge from this structured, focused, yet ripe and beautifully textured Châteauneuf Du Pape that's going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes starts off with scents of tapenade, then adds ripe cherries and cola notes. Dark and concentrated, it's full-bodied and open-knit, perhaps a bit coarser than the elegant 2016, with a touch of chocolate on the long finish. The Grenache in this cuvée was planted in 1905, making this a relative value among old-vine offerings."
- Item #: i_322198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "Sourced from 60-year-old vines and aged in 15% to 20% new oak, the 2016 Saint Joseph l'Olivaie offers a concentrated mouthful of black olive and cherry fruit, a velvety texture and a long, cool finish. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink well on release and for up to decade. Young Jerôme Coursodon now farms 16 hectares in Saint Joseph, centered around Mauves, just outside Tournon. He considers the 2016s more approachable than the dense 2015s."
JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS: "Leading off the 2016s from barrel, the 2016 Saint Joseph L'Olivaie comes from the lieu-dit of the same name and vines averaging 60 years in age. It’s a ripe, concentrated beauty that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, scorched earth, spice and pepper. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe, present tannin and a great finish, it's going to be a great value. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_333947Bottle Size: 750MLMade mainly of Cabernet Sauvignon, this classic red also brings forth most of the red varietals of the world that M. Guibert de la Vassière has spent the better part of the past 25 years collecting in his unique vineyards. Because of the dominant role played by this Bordeaux grape varietal, it follows that the structure and aromatics of the wine lean in that direction. However, the other grape varietals combined with the Mediterranean climate and unique terroir bring something unique to this wine. The vineyards, surrounded by the garrigue of the Languedoc pick up the aromatics during flowering, which in turn gives the wine flavors that are unique to this area. Dark, intense color with some notes of chocolate, iron, dark berry and wild herbs lead into a wine with firm, ripe tannins and good tension. In its youth, the fruit dominates, easily coating the structure, but with time, it will turn into a classy, claret styled wine that can hang with the best.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90100% Sauvignon Blanc
A racy, aggressive Sauvignon nose of chalk and flint; round in the mouth with herbal notes and very fresh.
- Item #: i_351634Bottle Size: 750mlThe vines here are from southeast facing slopes in a section of Les Lys known as “Clos du Roi” (effectively a monopole of the Defaix estate). The Defaix domaine owns 3.5 hectares of this 5 hectare 1er Cru. The resulting wine is long-lived and displays remarkable finesse and length, a classic Chablis. One often encounters the flavors and aromas of bergamot, acacia and honey in the Les Lys alongside a compelling freshness, a wine of excellent tension. The average age of the vines is 45 years.
- Item #: i_376254Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-'Tightly knit and exotic, with mouthwatering acidity and expressive accents of coconut, ground clove and tea rose to the flavors of yellow plum, lemon curd and graphite. Creamy and harmonious. Drink now through 2019. 4,000 cases made. (03/16)."
JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS"Nicolas Demière’s current bottling of non-vintage Blanc de Blancs is base year 2012 and the wine is absolutely singing at the present time. The dosage here is six grams per liter and the nose jumps from the glass in wide open constellation of pear, crème patissière, lovely chalkiness, a touch of fresh almond, gentle smokiness and a topnote of white flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, vibrant and rock solid at the core, with excellent focus and grip, lovely, frothy mousse and a long, racy finish. This is drinking very well indeed today, but will clearly last very well and it would be a fine bottle to lay down in the cellar as well. 2016- 2030. 91+."
- Item #: i_350512Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90-92 POINTS - "The 2016 Fixin Les Crais was taken directly from tank and will include 20% new oak. It has a clean and pure bouquet with raspberry and crushed strawberry notes, a touch of vanilla pod developing in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with fine-grained tannin, slightly chalky in texture and with plenty of freshness on the finish. This is a step up from the Fixin Village."
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_352750Bottle Size: 750mlFrançois, how do you do it!? Dedicated to the Givry appellation, François Lumpp elevates each wine to a level rarely seen in this southern part of Burgundy. François is quick to point out that Givry shares the same soils as the Côte de Beaune, and indeed, just a taste reveals he has no reason to envy his neighbors to the north. The aromas are typical of fine Burgundy: raspberry, incense, cedar, and clove; on the palate, it presents a dense core and fine tannin. While all of François’s reds offer pleasure now and have good aging potential, none are more cellar-worthy than A Vigne Rouge. But to be honest, I’ve never resisted the temptation to drink it young! —Will Meinberg
- Item #: i_351806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 Points"If you don't know about Domaine Giraud, you're missing out." - Jeb Dunnuck
"Savvy consumers should search them out" - Wine Advocate
"This is the greatest young vintage from the Southern Rhone Valley I've ever tasted, both in terms of quality as well as consistency" - Jeb Dunnuck
We are thrilled to offer an amazing Chateauneuf du Pape from Domaine Giraud. Domaine Giraud is one of the brightest stars of this famous appellation and produced some of the greatest wines in the world from the 2016 vintage. They are surprisingly accessible in their youth yet have the ability to age as well. These high scoring, delicious Rhone wines are full-bodied and deeply fruited. They display a stunning level of purity and incredible balance that set them apart.
The winemaking sister and brother team of Marie and Francois Giraud have been farming organically since 2008 after taking over the day to day operation of the winery from their father. Famed enologist Philippe Cambie consults for the winery, which boast incredible vineyard holdings.
The Domaine Giraud "Tradition" is comprised of 60% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 5% Mourvedre with the grapes averaging close to 70 years of age. This is a fantastic wine at an outstanding price with noted Rhone critic Jeb Dunnuck urging, "Buy a case of this, trust me."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the base 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a blockbuster, and this is one of those cases where you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of the special cuvées when this wine is so good. Maire describes the 2016 vintage as a mix of the 2010 and 2007 vintages, and I can’t disagree. This beautiful 2016 offers a terrific nose of black raspberries, garrigue, and peppered meat in a full-bodied, ripe, incredibly sexy, seamless style. It has a boatload of tannins, and despite its intensity and richness, is still elegant and seamless. Buy a case of this, trust me."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Enticing, with bright, engaging raspberry, cherry and red currant fruit infused with gently roasted sandalwood and apple wood, garrigue and licorice root notes. A swath of tobacco underscores the finish, giving this an old-school hint."
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_350741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93JOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec is a stunning wine in the making. The bouquet offers up a superb constellation of apple, pineapple, quince, very complex minerality, honeycomb, orange blossoms and lanolin. On the palate the wine is pure, nascently complex and full-bodied, with superb depth at the core, bright, seamless acids, laser-like focus and outstanding grip and balance on the long, vibrant and stunning finish. This too will be approachable for a few years and then shut down for an extended period of hibernation, but unlike the Le Haut Lieu Demi-Sec, where early sampling would be perfectly understandable, to waste bottles of the 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec drinking it in its early window of accessibility would border on a crime! This is a legend in the making."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This glistens, with glazed pear, warm persimmon, green plum and quince flavors, all carried by elegant white ginger and verbena notes. A light gilding of piecrust adds to the flattering feel, though there’s ample acidity here for balance and drive. Drink now through 2032."
- Item #: i_351279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Clos des Prouges was cropped at a mere 29 hectoliters per hectare this year, and it's a little more fleshy and exotic in profile, bursting with aromas of spring flowers, orange zest, peaches and fresh pastry. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and rich, with succulent balancing acids and a long, fragrant finish. It's a bit more precocious than usual and will drink well out of the gates."
- Item #: i_322644Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "This combines red-berry perfume with some earthy power. Pretty concentrated and complex wine for the appellation, the rather polished tannins giving it nice textural complexity. Long and generous, but cool and slightly salty finish. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_350007Bottle Size: 750mlNicolas represents the fifth generation of his family in Volnay. The viticulture of the domaine is inspired by biodynamics, but Nico is pragmatic, and although no weedkillers are used and the vineyards are maintained by ploughing, he says that there are both good and bad things in biodynamics, and he will use conventional fungicides to combat disease. Nicolas makes deeply-coloured, flavourful wines. Purple bright and with defined juicy fruit and very good body. Just racked, so hard to taste, but looks excellent
- Item #: i_344272Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS: "A ripe and lush style, with creamed melon and peach notes framed by a light-handed dose of warm piecrust and singed macadamia nut hints. Keeps a fresh edge due to the honeysuckle gilding on the finish. Clairette, Grenache Blanc and Roussanne. Drink now through 2020."
- Item #: i_351602Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This creamy and dreamy gewurztraminer is very seductive with a great lightness of touch. Wonderfully fresh and bright at the long, spicy finish, which has a slight bitter-sweet twist. Drink or hold. Made from biodynamically grown grapes."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright yellow gold. Aromas of peach, melon and honeysuckle are complicated by a mineral element on the captivating nose. Dense and creamy, offering terrific depth to the peach, mango and clove flavors. Finishes with excellent clarity and cut. A beauty; I like how this displays a terrific balance of Gewürztraminer richness, sweetness and energy. In fact, much richer and sweeter than the Cuvée Théo, but also better balanced. Weinbach did not bottle their Gewürz Altenbourg and Gewürz Mambourg in 2017 because of a frost episode that greatly reduced production volumes, and so all those Grand Cru grapes were used to make this wine. The Cuvée Laurence is normally Weinbach’s best Gewürz anyway (in fact, I think it’s the estate’s best dry wine), but in 2017 it’s even better than usual."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "From the bottom of the Altenbourg, the 2017 Alsace Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence offers intense and generous yet bright fruit on the nose. Creamy, dense and concentrated, this is a very elegant and structured Gewurtz with a long finish."
- Item #: i_377844Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS-"[This] is a Chardonnay from five villages of the Côte des Blancs but is mainly sourced in Vertus (50%). The recent disgorgement from early 2018 (dosage: four grams per liter) is based on the 2012 vintage and includes 50% of reserve wines from vintages 2011 down to 2008. Intensely citrus colored, this is a pure, fresh, concentrated, very mineral and pure Chardonnay that still offers greenish citrus flavors. With great finesse and complexity on the palate, it is very elegant and pure as well as very long and expressive, with intense, powerful and well-concentrated but fresh and highly finessed fruit and vitality. There is lots of energy and tension here, lots of expression and length. Great complexity and vitality. This has huge aging potential. A great wine, indeed.(08/18)"
- Item #: i_352329Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"This is a blend of 60 percent Pinot Noir and 40 percent Chardonnay, and half of it was fermented in barrel. [Based on 2012] It contains an unusually high percentage of reserve wine—no less than 70 percent—including every vintage back to 2008, and this is felt in the wine’s richness of texture, as well as in its subtle complexity of flavor on the palate. Its fruit feels pure and focused, and its dosage of 5 g/l is expertly judged, giving this an impeccable sense of harmony and poise. An outstanding value for non-vintage Champagne."
- Item #: i_345723Bottle Size: 750MLCertified organic Vineyard
Just below the family's monopole Le Clos about 300 meters down the hill lies the terroir "Champagne." Approximately, 1.5 hectares of low yielding 70 to over 100 year old Gamay. The town considers this one of the finest terroirs in Fleurie.
As with all of Dutraive's vineyards, Terroir Champagne is organically farmed and worked by hand.
Carbonic maceration with no added sulfer and natural yeast.
Aging- one year in futs de chene (barrel). approximately 25% new.
Production 500 cases
Notes - Beaujolais like this is worth seeking out immediately.