- Item #: i_350860Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A similar blend, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Boisrenard checks in as 66% Grenache, 12% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance a mix of permitted varieties, that saw 10% new oak. It has a thrilling bouquet of black cherries, cassis, bouquet garni, scorched earth, and graphite. Tasting like a Grand Cru Burgundy with its tension, purity, and elegance, it has building tannins, terrific concentration, and a great finish. Still tight, backward and reserved, hide bottles for 4-5 years if you can. It's going to be long-lived."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Mostly (66%) Grenache, with smaller amounts of Mourvèdre and Syrah (12% each), and tiny amounts of the other permitted varieties, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Boisrenard is inky in color, with aromas that hint at toasted coconut, black cherries and chocolate. It's a rich, decadent, full-bodied sexpot of a CdP that possess admirable concentration, a wonderfully creamy-silky texture and a long, long finish."
- Item #: i_350340Bottle Size: 750mlWines from Le Clos du Caillou are Rhône blends at their most intense. Concentrated and richly textured, these organically raised, older-vine wines capture the spice and silk of old-vine Grenache grown on the region’s finest terroirs. Each wine too reflects the native perfumes of the south, the “garrigue” blend of thyme, rosemary and lavender that grows wild among the estate’s vines. Of all the terroir in the Côtes du Rhône appellation, the “clos” of Caillou has to be one of the most exceptional. Completely surrounded by Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, this walled parcel of land was intentionally left out of the appellation by the owner, following a bureaucratic spat back in 1936. What this means today is that Caillou’s Côtes du Rhône wines are the qualitatively the same, with regard to terroir and exposition, as top Châteauneuf wines.
- Item #: i_349978Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - " Renaissance from Cristia is a beauty! A normal blend of 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre that comes from old vines planted in sandy soils, it reveals a medium ruby/purple color as well as a pure, elegant bouquet of crème de cassis, jammy blackberries, candied violets, incense, and spiced meats. This ripe, powerful, concentrated, and full-bodied, Châteauneuf du Pape has awesome purity, silky tannins, and one hell of a great finish. So of the oak that was present when I tasted this from barrel has integrated nicely and this beauty can be drunk anytime over the coming 15 years."
- Item #: i_311555Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsGuigal is a reference point estate for the Northern Rhone Valley whose name is synonymous with quality. This quality extends from their entry level wines all the way up to the single vineyard Cote Rotie's.
The value priced Cotes du Rhone Rouge and Blanc are amongst our best selling wines as they consistently over-deliver.
Most Rhone red blends are Grenache dominant, but Guigal is based in the Northern Rhone where Syrah is king. This delicious wine is comprised of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre. It is rich, full-bodied and made in a crowd-pleasing style. The red received a 91 Point Score from Wine Advocate which called it a "ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers."
At the sale price of $12.99 each, it is a good time to stock up on this delicious daily drinker.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are an impressive 4.5 million bottles of the 2016 Cotes du Rhone, a ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers. Cherries and raspberries mark the nose, while the medium to full-bodied palate adds nuances of cola, tree bark and spice. Often available at retail for under $15 per bottle, it represents a terrific value."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "As with the white, the quality of the basic Cotes du Rhone is more than noteworthy, especially when you consider the quantity produced. From a great, great vintage for the Southern Rhone, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone shows an upfront, sunny style as well as Provencal notes of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, and garrigue. Drink this medium to full-bodied, ripe, sexy effort over the coming 4-6 years. It will evolve even longer."
- Item #: i_322619Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90-93Burghound: 89-91WINE ADVOCATE 90-93 POINTS: "The 2017 Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots is superb, bursting with expressive aromas of cherries, violets, bergamot and grilled squab. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, velvety and supple with a layered core that entirely cloaks its fine structuring tannins in succulent fruit. This is an elegant, open-knit Chaignots which will offer a broad drinking window."
BURGHOUND 90-92 POINTS: "The proximity to the southern side of Vosne is in evidence as here the expressive nose of pure red and dark berry scents cut with warm earth is quite spicy. In the same fashion as the nose, there is a lovely texture to the lightly mineral-inflected medium-bodied flavors that evidence both fine depth and length. I like the balance and there is enough stuffing that this could be approached early but it should also have no trouble amply repay mid-term cellaring."
- Item #: i_345845Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 92-95 "SWEET SPOT, OVinous Media: 93-95Decanter: 90 to 95 PointsJOHN GILMAN 96 POINTS -"The 2017 Domaine Chevillon Vaucrains is deep, pure and supremely elegant out of the blocks this year, with the nose offering up a gorgeous aromatic blend of black cherries, pomegranate, dark chocolate, gamebird, woodsmoke, complex soil tones, a hint of nutskin and a bit of cedary new oak. On the palate the wine is very pure, full-bodied and the most reserved wine in the cellars today, with a rock solid core of fruit, exceptional transparency, ripe, perfectly integrated tannins and superb focus and grip on the very, very long and promising finish. The wine turns nicely sappy on the backend and shows off some of its future greatness."
DECANTER 95 POINTS -"Les Vaucrains is marked by its proximity to the combe at the southern end of Nuits-St-Georges, which gives the wine an added lift of freshness. Like Les St-Georges which abuts it, this is quite a firm, shuttered wine with an overlay of 30% new wood, good concentration, fine tannins and enough backbone and acidity to age."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS -"As usual, the 2017 Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains is the most structured, tight-knit wine in the Chevillon cellar, unwinding in the glass with aromas of cassis, dark chocolate and rich soil, framed by smoky new oak. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, richly tannic and concentrated, with imposingly broad shouldered structure and a deep, reserved core. Again, patience will be required and rewarded."
VINOUS 93-95 POINTS -"The 2017 Nuits Saint-Georges Les Vaucrains 1er Cru has a little more precision than the Les Saint-Georges on the nose: the terroir more articulated, greater energy conveyed by the aromatics. The pure, precise palate is beautifully balanced with filigreed tannin and an effervescent and very sustained finish that is pure class. This could well be the standout from Chevillon this year. A wine from the top drawer."
BURGHOUND 92-94 POINTS SWEET SPOT, OUTSTANDING! -"Relatively generous wood fights a bit with the otherwise cool and pure aromas of extract of cassis, plum, humus, earth and suggestions of the sauvage. As is usually the case chez Chevillon, this is a very powerful wine with imposing size and weight with fine mid-palate density thanks to the abundant dry extract that also helps to buffer the very firm tannic spine that really emerges on the beautifully long finale."
- Item #: i_351163Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 95Vinous Media: 94-95WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS: "Another fine, elegant example of the appellation, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Saintes Vierges is mostly Grenache, with the balance Mourvèdre and a tiny splash of Counoise. Scents of roses, lavender and purple raspberries give this wine immediate charm, and while it's full-bodied, it's also silky and pure, with an almost airy feel on the palate and terrific length."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Intense, with steeped red currant, plum and raspberry fruit forming the core, backed by red licorice and rooibos tea accents. A vibrant mineral streak runs through the fresh finish. Best from 2020 through 2035."
VINOUS 94-95 POINTS: " Lurid ruby. An exotically perfumed bouquet displays ripe red and blue fruit, Moroccan spice and floral qualities, and a smoky mineral topnote builds with air. Sweet, seamless and expansive on the palate, offering cherry preserve, Chambord, spicecake and cola flavors that show impressive depth and sharp delineation. The red fruit note carries strongly through a strikingly long, gently tannic finish that leaves behind a sexy lavender pastille note."