- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_353239Bottle Size: 750mlOn the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and sappy at the core, with excellent soil signature, fine focus and grip, silky tannins and a long, beautifully balanced and still quite primary finish.
Aged in 10%-30% new French oak barrels.
Bottled without fining and usually without filtration unless the wine is cloudy.
THE 2017 CLOS DES CHÊNES FROM DOMAINE MOREAU IS ANOTHER OUTSTANDING BOTTLE IN THE MAKING. THIS WINE IS PROPERLY STILL YOUTHFUL ON BOTH THE NOSE AND PALATE, BUT SHOWS PLENTY OF PROMISE IN ITS AROMATIC CONSTELLATION OF CASSIS, SWEET BLACKBERRIES, BITTER CHOCOLATE, A COMPLEX BASE OF SOIL TONES, GAME BIRD AND A SMOKY TOPNOTE. ON THE PALATE THE WINE IS DEEP, FULL-BODIED, FOCUSED AND SAPPY AT THE CORE, WITH EXCELLENT SOIL SIGNATURE, FIEN FOCUS AND GRIP, SILKY TANNINS AND A LONG, BEAUTIFULLY BALANCED AND STILL QUITE PRIMARY FINISH. ALL THIS NEEDS IS TIME TO BLOSSOM!
- Item #: i_345936Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 87-89The 2017 Fixin Les Clos comes from a climat close to the Marsannay border, from one parcel of 1.30 hectares consisting of vines from 10 to 90 years old. It sees 20% new oak. It has an engaging, quite exuberant bouquet of vibrant red fruit infused with hints of violet; the oak is deftly enmeshed.
- Item #: i_350514Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "The 2016 Fixin en Combe Roy includes around 40% whole bunch fruit. It has a clean and fresh bouquet with blackberry and raspberry fruit, wet stone and a hint of orange blossom. The palate is very well balanced, and the whole bunch is well disguised, merely lending more freshness and tension on the sorbet-fresh finish. Excellent."
- Item #: i_353489Bottle Size: 750mlThis comes from four parcels and sees no new oak. It`s bottled early to retain fruit and freshness. This has good concentration and a darker colour. It shows blueberry fruit - something I`ve noticed on a few Grands Crus elsewhere - and it`s delicious.
- Item #: i_353490Bottle Size: 750ml1.07 hectares from two parcels: Réas and la Rivière. Primary fermentation in cement tank and then moved to barrels for malolactic fermentation and aging. 35% new oak
Amélie Berthaut's emergence as one of Burgundy's rising stars by now needs no reiteration, but the quality of her 2017 portfolio demonstrates that the plaudits she has received are amply justified.Berthaut has a magic touch. The wines are alive and vibrant, and offer a truly unique expression.
Amélie insists that the most important work happens in the vineyards and working the soil. She follows lutte raisonnée farming, with a strong leaning towards organic viticulture: no herbicides or pesticides in the vineyards. The biggest threats are oidium and mildew, but she avoids spraying at all if possible.
- Item #: i_352762Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98Decanter: 96VINOUS 96-98 POINTS: "The 2017 Clos de Tart Grand Cru was matured in around 80% new oak, the barrels toasted chauff blonde. Jacques Desvauges mentioned that the wine needed oxygen ingress during maturation that only new oak can give. I tasted the component parts (as usual) as well as the blend. This has a very detailed, delineated bouquet offering mainly black fruit mixed with sous-bois, tobacco, clove and bay leaf, the typicité of the appellation showing through nicely. It feels very succinct and yet so fresh. The palate is beautifully balanced on the entry with a killer line of acidity. Pure black cherry fruit is joined by bilberry, hints of black olive and a marine/oyster shell tincture that comes through quite strongly toward the persistent, saline finish, which fans out with confidence. This is a brilliant follow-up to the benchmark 2016 by Jacques Desvauges and his team."
DECANTER 96 POINTS: "Despite what has been written about high yields in the Côte de Nuits in 2017, Jacques de Vauges made less Clos de Tart than he did in 2016. Picked much earlier than it used to be when Sylvain Pitiot was in charge, this is a fine, focussed, nuanced wine that expresses the complexity of this monopole grand cru. With deftly integrated 60% whole bunches and 80% new wood, it's elegant, floral and precise with chalky freshness."
- Item #: i_351017Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS: "This is only the ‘basic’ Chambolle from de Vogüé, but the estate made such an impressive array of wines in 2017 that it's well worth seeking out. Deeply coloured for a 2017, this old-vine village red shows François Millet's mastery of the vintage. It's vibrant, precise and deftly oaked, with 15% new wood and a crunchy red cherry and raspberry finish."
- Item #: i_351370Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 94-96Decanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "The older vines in de Vogüé's extensive 7.2ha in Musigny date back to 1953 and make a wine that's considerably weightier than the young-vine cuvée. This is very deep and intense in colour, exhibiting layers of dark bramble and black cherry flavours and a backbone of precise, chalky, mouthwatering acidity. A wine that needs time to digest its 35% new wood."
VINOUS 94-96 POINTS: "The 2017 Musigny Vieilles Vignes Grand Cru has a very expressive, complex bouquet, the mélange of red, blue and black fruit making it difficult to identify a single dominant color. Blueberry, wild strawberry and black currant intermingle, and hints of sea spray and touches of orange blossom develop with time. The harmonious, silky palate is almost like a Romanée-Saint-Vivant in texture, offering great depth and an energetic, peppery finish that lingers long in the mouth. A divine Musigny that will deserve some bottle age."
BURGHOUND 93-96 POINTS: "An openly exotic nose offers glimpses of black cherry liqueur, ginger, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and orange peel. The tighter and much more mineral-driven big-bodied flavors also possess evident muscle on the powerful and dense yet beautifully refined finish that goes on and on. This is also a bit less structured though with that said, this is going to need at least 15 years to reach its apogee. In a word, terrific."
- Item #: i_352753Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "The Mortets' five parcels here cover 1.2ha in all, and run from the top of the Combe de Lavaux to the bottom, close to the Clos St-Jacques. Fermented without whole bunches, this is another superb red from Arnaud Mortet, now established as one of the best red winemakers in Burgundy. It's juicy, textured and crunchy, with the acidity that's typical of the terroir and deftly handled 80% new wood."
- Item #: i_351387Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_350398Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 95DECANTER 95 POINTS: "Simply labelled as premier cru because it combines three parcels (Petite Chapelle, Cherbaudes and Bel Air), all of them planted with old, low-yielding vines. This is another superb release from Arnaud Mortet, made with 30% while bunches and aged in 70% new wood. It's a sweet, plush, succulent red with fine-boned tannins, glossy dark berry fruit and a long, polished finish."
- Item #: i_352754Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 96 POINTS: "The Mortets' five parcels here cover 1.2ha in all, and run from the top of the Combe de Lavaux to the bottom, close to the Clos St-Jacques. Fermented without whole bunches, this is another superb red from Arnaud Mortet, now established as one of the best red winemakers in Burgundy. It's juicy, textured and crunchy, with the acidity that's typical of the terroir and deftly handled 80% new wood."
- Item #: i_350602Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_350511Bottle Size: 750ml"A real pleasure to discover this compelling domaine." - William Kelley, Decanter Magazine
This fantastic Pinot Noir from Burgundy makes an immediate impression. Several wine staff happened to be present when this Bourgogne from Berthaut was opened. Everybody fell in love with the intoxicating aromas of fresh Bing cherries, dark Pinot fruit and potpourri which leaps from the glass. The palate is pure silk with generous fruit yet remains fresh and amazingly balanced. It is truly a wonderful Burgundy on a budget.
The reaction of the wine staff confirmed our impression of this wine and of Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet in general. We visited Burgundy in June and had the pleasure of tasting the whole line-up With the talented Amelie Berthaut. The wines showed extremely well and we knew that the domaine was in the very capable hands of this young seventh generation vigneron.
Amelie is the daughter of Denis Berthaut and Marie-Andree Gerbet and took over winemaking responsibilities a few years ago. She previously studied oenology in Bordeaux before making wine in Bandol, France and Dunn in California before returning to her family's estate in 2013. Amelie has taken the wines from the humble appellation of Fixin in the Cotes de Nuits to a new level with her passion and attention to quality.
We feel so strongly about this wine that we bought all we could get. Unfortunately, supply is always an issue in Burgundy so we couldn't purchase as much as we would have liked. For now, enjoy this terrific value from one of the new star winemakers of Burgundy.
Once you have savored this wine, take a look at our other offerings from Berthaut-Gerbet, which are also delicious and add a touch more complexity and depth.
Bright ruby in color. On the nose, expressive aromas of violets, perfectly ripened cherries, red berries, plum and sweet spices leap from the glass. On the palate, the wine is dry and medium-bodied with a wonderful silkiness. The lusciousness and depth of the fruit is striking, with focused red and black cherries, blue plum and boysenberry along with baking spices. The complexity, depth and lengthy finish make this a compelling wine.
- Item #: i_350512Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90-92 POINTS - "The 2017 Fixin Les Crais is lovely, wafting from the glass with aromas of blackberries, cassis, asphalt and dark chocolate. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and fleshy, with a lavish attack, a succulent core of expressive fruit and a melting but stony finish. I have a weakness for this cuvée, which is hard to resist in its youth but which ages very dependably—in fact, I still have a few bottles of the 1988 in my cellar that are still bursting with lively fruit."