- Item #: i_350511Bottle Size: 750ml"A real pleasure to discover this compelling domaine." - William Kelley, Decanter Magazine
This fantastic Pinot Noir from Burgundy makes an immediate impression. Several wine staff happened to be present when this Bourgogne from Berthaut was opened. Everybody fell in love with the intoxicating aromas of fresh Bing cherries, dark Pinot fruit and potpourri which leaps from the glass. The palate is pure silk with generous fruit yet remains fresh and amazingly balanced. It is truly a wonderful Burgundy on a budget.
The reaction of the wine staff confirmed our impression of this wine and of Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet in general. We visited Burgundy in June and had the pleasure of tasting the whole line-up With the talented Amelie Berthaut. The wines showed extremely well and we knew that the domaine was in the very capable hands of this young seventh generation vigneron.
Amelie is the daughter of Denis Berthaut and Marie-Andree Gerbet and took over winemaking responsibilities a few years ago. She previously studied oenology in Bordeaux before making wine in Bandol, France and Dunn in California before returning to her family's estate in 2013. Amelie has taken the wines from the humble appellation of Fixin in the Cotes de Nuits to a new level with her passion and attention to quality.
We feel so strongly about this wine that we bought all we could get. Unfortunately, supply is always an issue in Burgundy so we couldn't purchase as much as we would have liked. For now, enjoy this terrific value from one of the new star winemakers of Burgundy.
Once you have savored this wine, take a look at our other offerings from Berthaut-Gerbet, which are also delicious and add a touch more complexity and depth.
Bright ruby in color. On the nose, expressive aromas of violets, perfectly ripened cherries, red berries, plum and sweet spices leap from the glass. On the palate, the wine is dry and medium-bodied with a wonderful silkiness. The lusciousness and depth of the fruit is striking, with focused red and black cherries, blue plum and boysenberry along with baking spices. The complexity, depth and lengthy finish make this a compelling wine.
- Item #: i_350512Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90-92 POINTS - "The 2017 Fixin Les Crais is lovely, wafting from the glass with aromas of blackberries, cassis, asphalt and dark chocolate. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and fleshy, with a lavish attack, a succulent core of expressive fruit and a melting but stony finish. I have a weakness for this cuvée, which is hard to resist in its youth but which ages very dependably—in fact, I still have a few bottles of the 1988 in my cellar that are still bursting with lively fruit."
- Item #: i_351791Bottle Size: 750mlThis small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_350482Bottle Size: 750mlBonnes Mares is 15.05 ha – hence almost 40% larger than Musigny – and is located in both Chambolle Musigny and Morey-Saint-Denis. The main part is in Chambolle-Musigny – north of the village and Les Fuées – and only 1.52 ha is located in the Morey appellation – just south of Clos de Tart.
This small parcel of Bonnes Mares (0.34 hectares) is on red soils which tend to give the more muscular and deep expressions of the vineyard. This 2015 certainly does not disappoint, with its structure that frames the core juicy, dark fruit. A beautifully sweet and inviting palate, which has a lift and a hint of wildness to it which reflects Francois’ hands off approach. Refined but powerful tannins provide the support for the long term. Drink 2019 - 2035
- Item #: i_352546Bottle Size: 750mlThe steep vineyard adjacent to the cuverie is composed of white pebbly sandy soils and some clay. The wine is relaxed and elegant, with pure ripe red fruit, and a brightness and energy that last to the long pure finish.
- Item #: i_351309Bottle Size: 750mlThe Domaine de Courcel, owned by the same family since its foundation 400 years ago, is located in Pommard on the Côte de Beaune, in Burgundy (France). The Domaine produces great Burgundy red wines. Its prestigious Pommard Premier Crus include Le Grand Clos des Epenots, Les Rugiens, Les Frémiers and Les Croix Noires. Tradition, modernism and excellence are the pillars of this family owned winery (or “Domaine”). Its wines are typical of the notorious Pommard Premier crus.
- Item #: i_353983Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Wine Enthusiast: 93WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "The Domaine de Courcel owns a large part of the heart of the Epenots vineyard, within the walls of a clos. This is a wine with a solid structure, cherry and spice flavors, an elegant feel to go with the ripe berry fruits. It is very balanced, the tannins a great support to the fruit."
BURGHOUND 92 POINTS *Outstanding* - "Here the nose is notably ripe and quite densely fruited with a mix of underbrush, warm earth, game and red currant aromas that introduce dense, serious, robust, indeed even burly flavors that are quite primary and culminate in a very firm finish that delivers excellent length. In contrast to the approachability of the Fremiers, this clearly needs time in bottle."
VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Good deep red. Sexy aromas of dark cherry, spices, minerals and underbrush, with a whiff of truffle. Juicy, peppery and aromatic in the mouth, with firm acidity for the year-especially for fruit picked later than most other vineyards in Pommard. This really spreads out to coat the palate on the back end, finishing with dusty, fine-grained tannins and excellent length."
- Item #: i_352481Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92BURGHOUND 90 - 93 POINTS - "This is quite ripe yet retains a lovely freshness to the cassis, black cherry, lavender and warm earth scents. There is excellent power and volume to the concentrated, intense and mouth coating big-bodied flavors that culminate in an impressively long and balanced finish."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Rich and dense, with pure black cherry and spice flavors. A bit rigid now, with plenty of buried fruit. Finishes with edgy tannins and good length. Best from 2016 through 2026. 250 cases imported."
- Item #: i_333891Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "A dense, well-structured style, yet with ample black cherry, blackberry, violet and iron flavors for balance. This red unfolds nicely, leaving a complex finish that introduces an accent of bittersweet chocolate. Excellent length."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "This is also quite ripe yet retains a lovely freshness to the cassis, black cherry, lavender and warm earth scents. There is excellent power and volume to the concentrated, intense and mouth coating big-bodied flavors that culminate in an impressively long and balanced finish. This possesses both good power and superb length and is absolutely one to consider."
- Item #: i_345019Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90-92Vinous Media: 91VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS: "(these 2015s were bottled in September of this year): Healthy ruby-red. Quite sun-drenched on first sniff, with raspberry and spice aromas coming across as more expressive than the '16. Sappy, spicy, highly concentrated flavors of red and purple fruits and flowers are already surprisingly supple, with an element of minerality contributing to the impression of vivacity. The plush, building tannins saturate the entire mouth. Seriously concentrated and alive. Yves Confuron told me that these wines are pumped only once, when they are assembled in tank prior to bottling." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_345020Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Burghound: 90-93BURGHOUND 94 POINTS "OUTSTANDING": "A discreet application of wood frames aromas that, much like the Epenots, are super-ripe yet manage to maintain reasonably good freshness to the poached plum and violet-scented nose. This too is nothing short of massively concentrated, ripe and sumptuously opulent with a subtle minerality that helps to add lift to the borderline thick and ever-so-slightly warm finish. This muscular effort is also most impressive in its fashion though it's absolutely one to buy and then forget you own it. *Outstanding*"
VINOUS 94 POINTS: "Good ruby-red. A distinctly different expression of Pommard from the Grand Clos des Epenots, with the nose dominated by darkest berries, minerals and chocolate. Densely packed and highly concentrated but less open to inspection than the Grand Clos des Epenots; very closed in on itself but already suggests outstanding complexity. Very broad, firm tannins saturate the entire palate and the very long, rising finish leaves the tongue glistening. Classic white-soil Rugiens: already complex on the nose but in need of cellaring to gain in pliancy and expand."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "There’s plenty of black cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors in this red, along with a backbone of assertive, dusty tannins. All the elements are in the correct proportion, but just need time to integrate. The long aftertaste also indicates potential"
- Item #: i_351618Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94TIM ATKIN 95 POINTS - "Damaged by hail in 2014 and by frost in 2016, this is not the luckiest of Côte de Beaune vineyards but there’s no denying the exceptional quality of its best wines. Made with 66% whole bunches and 40% new wood, it’s a rich, smoky, densely layered wine with bloody, ferrous tannins and supporting fruit sweetness. 2022-32."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "(one-third vendange entier; 40% new oak; just racked following a very late malo): Healthy medium red. Compelling aromas and flavors of redcurrant, iron, rose petal and minerals. At once silky and penetrating, with its sweetness perfectly balanced by harmonious acidity. Shows captivating rose petal perfume throughout. The seriously tannic, floral finish displays real length and grip. This wine should age beautifully but even today there's no hardness. The crop was reduced by about 30% due to the frost, noted winemaker Sieve.'
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens Cuvée Hubert apparently had a very late malolactic that did not finish until September or October. Similar to the previous two vintages, it comes from the lieu-dit "Les Rugiens-Bas." It has a complex and inviting bouquet with black cherries, crushed rose petals and undergrowth aromas, just a suggestion of dried blood emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied, the 40% new oak is absorbed by the fleshy red fruit, and it is adorned with a lovely, ferrous finish. Drink over the next 15 or 20 years."
- Item #: i_351600Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 96VINOUS 93-96 POINTS - "(93-96) (vinified with two-thirds whole clusters and aged in 60% new oak; no frost damage here but the yield was just under 40 hectoliters per hectare): Healthy dark red. Explosive aromas of black raspberry, cocoa powder and espresso. Wonderfully sweet and savory, offering very intense yet silky flavors of black raspberry and minerals framed by harmonious acidity. Really outstanding inner-mouth energy and definition here! The resounding finish features firm, chalky tannins and terrific length and lift. This wine comes from vines at the top of this premier cru on hard limestone.
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "The 2016 Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Malconsorts includes two-thirds whole cluster and 55% new oak. It has a deep color and a very complex bouquet with blackberry, raspberry coulis, iris and touches of woodland, all reticent at first but unfolding with time in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin and a fine line of acidity, fresh and vibrant with a gentle but insistent grip on the saline finish. It is a structured Malconsorts that deserves several years in bottle. This is on par with the excellent 2015 Malconsorts."