- Item #: i_353384Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Intriguing, with a distinctive mix of yellow apple, lemon gelée, nectarine and shortbread notes. Chalky zing on the finish keeps this firmly grounded. Worth waiting to see how this evolves. Drink now through 2022"
- Item #: i_344031Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89-91ROBERTPARKER.COM 89-91 POINTS: "The 2016 Alter Ego de Palmer is a blend of 40% Merlot, 48% Cabernet Sauvignon and 12% Petit Verdot this year (a little less Merlot than usual). That exuberant Merlot drives the aromatics along, almost citrus-like with scents of blood orange and blueberries soaring from the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with grainy tannin on the entry, quite sharp acidity at first, quite structured for an Alter Ego with a grippy finish. I think the new oak will bind this together, this sample coming from a used barrel."
VINOUSMEDIA 90-93 POINTS: "The 2016 Alter Ego represents a fairly big departure is style from what has been the norm in recent vintages. Bright red stone fruit, tobacco, flowers and herbs. The combination of less Merlot and naturally lower alcohol are among the factors that have contributed to an especially silky, perfumed Alter Ego built on considerable finesse." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_350937Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+James Suckling: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep purple-black, the 2016 Bellevue Mondotte has a dark, seductive, opulent nose of star anise, cumin seed, dried roses, incense and cedar chest over a core of plum preserves, baked blueberries, dates and Christmas cake plus hints of unsmoked cigars and tapenade. The full-bodied palate is a behemoth of fruit with a rock-solid frame to match, featuring firm, grainy tannins and bold freshness, finishing very long and very spicy."
JEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "One of the standouts from the Right Bank is the 2016 Bellevue Mondotte, a powerful, full-bodied, structured effort that offers incredible minerality in its blackcurrant, graphite, new leather and burning ember-like aromas and flavors. A blend of 90% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, from tiny yields and brought up all in new oak, it has remarkable purity and freshness, and is locked and loaded on the palate. Give this monument in the making 4-5 years of bottle age and it will cruise for 2-3 decades in cold cellars."
- Item #: i_344002Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 95Decanter: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "This is really excellent with sliced apples, lemon rind, minerals and stones. Medium to full body, vivid and energetic acidity and a long and powerful, almost minerally finish. Wow. Inner quote mark (4/2017)
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "This offers more proof that the whites in the Médoc have resisted the heat of August. The pH here is 3.01, and certainly the impression in the glass is of beautiful freshness with a creamy mid-palate of white peaches, honeysuckle and gentle citrus sorbet. Fermented at a low temperature in a combination of stainless steel, one year old barrels and 45% new oak with a very light toast, this is very delicate and extremely pretty. A blend of 52% Sauvignon Blanc, 30% Semillon and 18% Muscadelle.
- Item #: i_353293Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is so delicious now with plum, chocolate and hazelnut character. Full-bodied, layered and yummy. Round tannins are so integrated. Really hard not to drink now. So why not? Second wine of Chateau d’Issan."
- Item #: i_344263Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 90 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Attractive violets and redcurrants with darker forest berries and graphite, too. The palate has a lithe and plush red-fruit core. Vibrant berries abound. Good wine."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This generous wine comes from a 239-acre property. It has weight, layers of black-currant flavors balanced by rich tannins and juicy acidity. The fruitiness is intense, given essential freshness by the crisp aftertaste."
- Item #: i_352274Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "The aromas are very complex with sweet tobacco, black truffles, blueberries and blackberries. Subtle. Menthol, too. Full-bodied yet so elegant. Structure with finesse and purity. The tannins are melted in the wine. Fabulous young wine. Try tasting it from 2023."
- Item #: i_353381Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Extremely deep and ripe on the nose with dried-berry, chocolate and plum aromas that follow through to a full body, round and soft tannins and a flavorful finish. A rich and soft-tannin structure to the wine. Try after 2024."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Partnered with Château Giscours as far as the winemaking team is concerned, this estate has created its own style. This wine shows a hint of initial austerity before opening out with rich fruits and structure. It needs time and the wine will not be ready to drink before 2025."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Fresh damson plum, bitter cherry and savory notes are seamlessly layered together, with fresh tobacco and a flash of iron checking in on the pure, silky, persistent finish, where the slightly high-pitched fruit plays out nicely. Best from 2021 through 2032."
- Item #: i_353383Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "The nose is redolent with ripe plums and dark cherries, as well as abundant red and purple flowers and a faint, blonde-tobacco edge. The palate delivers an ultra-rich and flavorful palate with polished, sinewy tannins that will carry this wine for some time to come. Freshness and balance, finishing taut and youthful. Full of promise, this is one of the finest recent releases from here."
- Item #: i_353084Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - " There’s a very rich and powerful core of red-plum and mulberry aromas and flavors here, delivering an assertive and very shimmery, polished palate. Great tannin texture. Long and regal. Every bit as good as the 2015, but more lively in 2016. Try from 2023."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_351551Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+ROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS: "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Fonplegade opens with a very savory nose of smoked meats, tapenade, sautéed herbs and beef drippings over a core of plum preserves, chocolate-covered cherries and cedar chest plus wafts of violets and cigars. Medium to full-bodied, the palate possesses both intensity and elegance, with the black fruit layers superbly framed by firm, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and mineral laced."
- Item #: i_345892Bottle Size: 750MLThe estate is situated on the same plateau as Saint Emilion and Pomerol and sits on the second highest point in the Gironde at 110 meters above sea level (approximately 350 feet). The vineyards are planted to a number of red varieties, including Merlot (85%), Cabernet Sauvignon (6%), Cabernet Franc (7%) along with a touch of Malbec and Carmenère. The exclusive white variety is Semillon. The soil type varies but is principally a mix of clay, silex and limestone, with very high acidity levels. The average age of the vines is 50 years and no synthetic treatments have ever been used at the estate, which is certified biodynamic. Harvest is manual, the grapes are entirely destemmed and the cuvaison is long, continuing for two to four weeks. Only indigenous yeast is utilized, no chapitalisation is done nor is SO2 used during the fermentation. The “elevage” of the Le Puy wines is done according to the lunar rhythm. The two essential red cuvées of the estate, “Emilien” and “Barthelemy” are raised in barrel for 24 months. The wines are neither fined nor filtered before bottling. Jean-Pierre Amoreau and his son, Pascal, oversee the vineyards and vinification.
- Item #: i_333306Bottle Size: 750MLSaint-Georges-Saint-Emilion is one of the smallest appellations in Bordeaux - less than 20 estates - and one of the oldest wine areas in France. As a result these wines are pretty confidential! Boasting an intense nose with blackcurrant, raspberry and cinnamon notes, this is a supple and concentrated wine with ripe, silky tanins. A top pick for this kind of price!
- Item #: i_346014Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Wine Spectator: 95Vinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 97Decanter: 94 PointsWine Enthusiast: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "Possibly the finest vintage of this cuvée to date, the 2016 Château Pavie Macquin comes from a cooler, later terroir on the upper plateau and checks in as 82% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon aged in 50% new oak. This deep, inky-colored effort boasts a rock star bouquet of blackcurrants, black cherries, white truffle, graphite, and spice. Deep, rich, and powerful on the palate, yet also balanced, elegant, and seamless, with ultra-fine tannins, this seamless beauty needs a decade of cellaring and will keep for 4-5 decades."
ROBERTPARKER.COM 96 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Pavie Macquin charges out of the glass with gregarious black cherries, warm blackberries and wild blueberries scents followed up by loads of red roses, baking spices, cedar chest and unsmoked cigars sparks plus a waft of wild thyme. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is an exercise in poise, revealing layer upon layer of cherries and berries flavors and tons of savory nuances, framed by firm yet exquisitely ripe tannins, finishing very long."
VINOUSMEDIA 98 POINTS: "The 2016 Pavie Macquin is a total stunner. Rich, lush and inviting, the 2016 is a drop-dead gorgeous beauty. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal, lavender and mint are all given an extra kick of allure by silky tannins that caress the palate from start to finish. There is a level of precision and nuance here that is simply breathtaking. The purity of the fruit is just mind-boggling."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Engaging, with a gush of warm raspberry, plum and boysenberry compote flavors leading the way, while red licorice, apple wood and sweet tobacco notes strut through the finish. Nice intensity overall gives this a mouthwatering echo and pulls you back for more."
- Item #: i_353350Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Focused fruit, such as raspberries and blackberries with chalk and flowers. Full body, firm and chewy tannins and a long and defined finish. Quite muscular."
VINOUS 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Puy-Blanquet is a gorgeous, classically built Saint-Émilion that emphasizes freshness and purity. Deceptively medium in body, the 2016 is supple, deep and incredibly inviting. Sweet tobacco, cedar, leather and licorice add lovely aromatic top notes. Pliant and inviting, this incredibly delicious yet understated Saint-Émilion will be hard to resist in its youth. It is also one of the undisputed Sleeper gems of the vintage. Don't miss it."
- Item #: i_353316Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is so good! I want to drink it now. Iodine, mushrooms, dark fruit and orange peel on the nose and palate. Full-bodied, yet polished and fresh. Lovely tension A blend of 80 per cent merlot, 15 per cent cabernet franc and five per cent malbec."
- Item #: i_353382Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Wine Spectator: 99Vinous Media: 100 PointsDecanter: 100 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsDECANTER 100 POINTS - "I was excited to retaste this wine after loving it so much at en primeur, and it has more than lived up to its promise. They seem to have poured layers of muscular black fruit into the glass in a display of Pauillac intensity and tannic prowess. It offers flavours of dark chocolate, cassis, liquorice root, black olive, coffee and cappuccino. The velvety texture is astonishing, and the layers of flavour are held together on a tightrope of power and freshness. At only 50% new oak, its intensity is coming from within. This needs to be put away and forgotten about, and then - wow - it's going to make those lucky enough to own it very happy. It's going to go for 50 years, no question."
WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "Composed of 95% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc, the 2016 Trotanoy is characteristically a little closed at this youthful stage, slowly unfurling to reveal compelling notions of chocolate-covered cherries, black raspberries and mulberries with touches of pencil lead, crushed rocks, underbrush and chargrill plus a fragrant waft of star anise. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a rock-solid frame of grainy tannins and invigorating freshness supporting the densely packed, muscular fruits, finishing very long and mineral laced."
WINE SPECTATOR 99 POINTS - "A brick house, this packs in warm fig, red and black currant paste and bitter cherry compote flavors along with smoldering tobacco, singed alder and graphite notes. The finish is quite dark, with an echo of Turkish coffee lingering after the fruit finally ebbs. Among the most backward wines of the vintage. Best from 2023 through 2040."
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "JD99Jeb Dunnuck A structured, powerful wine, the 2016 Château Trotanoy checks in as 95% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc from one of the great sites in Pomerol, a 7-hectare vineyard located on gravelly, black clay soils. This ruby/purple-hued effort gives up a brilliant bouquet of crème de cassis, blackberry and black raspberry fruits intermixed with loads of iron and crushed rock-like minerality, smoke tobacco, and graphite. It's deep, full-bodied, and concentrated on the palate, with sensational purity of fruit and balance as well as building tannins and structure. It's built for the long haul and needs a solid 7-8 years of bottle age, but it will keep for 3 decades or more."
- Item #: i_344008Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98-100
ROBERTPARKER.COM 98-100 POINTS: "The 2016 Cos d'Estournel takes the 2016 baton and runs with it. A blend of 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot and 1% Cabernet Franc that was picked between 26 September and 15 October at 45 hectoliters per hectare, this fabulous Saint Estèphe will be matured in 60% new oak. The alcohol level this year is 13.07%, which proprietor Michel Reybier reminded me is almost 1.5% lower than in 2010. This is clearly a more classically styled Cos d'Estournel that is completely different than say, the 2009 Cos d'Estournel and the more flamboyant, exotic wines in recent years. It actually bears more stylistic similarities to its neighbor Montrose. It is extremely detailed with blackberry and a touch of boysenberry, the fruit almost "creeping up" on you by stealth and then underneath, an undertow of minerals, wet limestone and even flint. The palate has astonishing: exquisite balance, perhaps the most precise and detailed Cos d'Estournel that I have encountered in many years of tasting at this address. It segues into a Pauillac-like second-half with veins of graphite strafing the black fruit, but what marks this Cos d'Estournel is the palpable energy and tension allied with an effortless nature. The persistence, the reverberation in the mouth is quite magnificent, perhaps even longer on my second visit to the property compared to the first. It really is a brilliant Cos d'Estournel that oozes class and sophistication, moreover, a wine that is going to give serious amounts of drinking pleasure over a very long period of time. Boom—and Cos drops the mic. Tasted twice, almost three weeks apart, with consistent notes."
VINOUSMEDIA 92-95 POINTS: "The beautiful 2016 Cos d'Estournel is one of the most polished, gracious young Cos d'Estournels I can remember tasting. Aromatic freshness and lift, along with a distinctly red fruit profile, are among the signatures. It will be interesting to see if this style of Cos - one in which concentration and textural richness are backed off - is the result of the vintage or an evolution in winemaking philosophy, or perhaps, as is most likely, a little bit of both." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_352270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 83James Suckling: 94Decanter: 93 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - " This is a really driven d’Armailhac showing blackcurrants and fruit tea with hints of bark on the nose and palate. Full-bodied, very firm and structured with a long and powerful finish. Direct and linear. Try after 2023."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "A thrilling bottle of wine that readers should snatch up is the 2016 Château d’Armailhac. This deeply colored, medium to full-bodied, powerful Armailhac gives up a lovely perfume of blackberry and plums fruits, violets, graphite, cedar pencil, and earthy, herbal nuances. Classic, ripe, layered, and just a beautiful Pauillac any way you look at it, it has plenty of upfront sex appeal but is going to keep for 20-25 years as well. Bravo! The 2016 is a blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 D'Armailhac opens with gregarious crème de cassis, blackberry pie and mulberries scents with hints of chocolate box, roses and charcoal with a waft of dried sage. Medium-bodied, the palate has a rock-solid frame of firm, grainy tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and earthy."
- Item #: i_344009Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94+James Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS: "The brightness and precision already comes through on the nose with floral, blackcurrant character. Full-bodied and very tight and creamy with polished tannins that last for minutes. Warm and intense. Needs four to five years to show all it has, yet already a beauty."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "The 2016 D'Issan is blended of 64% Cabernet Sauvignon and 36% Merlot, aged in 50% new and 50% one-year-old French oak for 18 months. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it has vibrant black cherries and blackcurrants notes with chocolate mint, beef drippings, black olives and cigar box. Medium-bodied with a well-sustained, intensely flavored mid-palate, it has a rock-solid, grainy frame and long savory finish. 10,500 cases produced."
- Item #: i_344010Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 93-96ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot picked between 4-21 October at 45 hectoliters per hectare, and matured in 35% new oak. Oh yes! This is a perfumed bouquet that unfolds beautifully in the glass with blackberry, cedar, smoke and a light marine influence, not unlike Japanese nori. The palate is medium-bodied with such fine tannins that it bought to mind Burgundy rather than Bordeaux. There is a grainy texture here, quite saline in the mouth with an entrancing sense of symmetry, very classic but not austere on the finish, with a long and saline aftertaste. This is an outstanding Domaine de Chevalier from the busiest man in Bordeaux, Oliver Bernard. Tasted twice with consistent notes."
WINE SPECTATOR 93-96 POINTS: "Intense raspberry and boysenberry fruit drives along, flecked with anise hints and scored with roasted apple wood details. A touch toothy on the finish, with a loamy note, but the fruit takes an encore, which is a great sign for the future." –JM
VINOUSMEDIA 93-96 POINTS: "The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier is a wine of total precision and class. Today, the flavors are remarkably primary, while the tannins, unusually, are totally buried by the fruit. It will be many years before the 2016 is ready to show all of its cards, but it is a brilliant wine in the making. Dark red cherry, blood orange, mint, white pepper and rose petal infuse the strikingly delineated, vibrant finish." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_344047Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Vinous Media: 98 PointsJames Suckling: 99Decanter: 98 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS: "Wow. The blackberry, dried-flower and orange-peel aromas are so impressive at first, but then they go to black truffle and wet earth. Full-bodied with a solid core of powerful yet fine-grained tannins. It goes on for minutes. A very muscular La Fleur-Pétrus."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "The upfront brambly fruit is sensuous and luscious, followed by freshness and uplift that clamps the mid-palate and takes you vertically up in a whirl of mint and eucalyptus. It has gorgeous grip with violet edges, and for me this beats the brilliant 2015 because I love the push and pull between intensity and teasingly-slow acidity. It's all finesse, rewarding the effort and investment that has gone into La Fleur Pétrus in recent years. I loved it en primeur and I love it in bottle."
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "The 2016 Château La Fleur Petrus is more regal and elegant, with an incredibly floral quality in its red and blue fruits, crushed rock, forest floor, and graphite-tinged aromas and flavors. This medium to full-bodied, rich, layered effort has notable structure, integrated acidity, beautiful balance, and a rock star finish. This is pure class and a thrilling La Fleur Petrus that needs 4-5 years of bottle age and will cruise for 2-3 decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "Blended of 91% Merlot and 9% Cabernet Franc, the medium garnet-purple colored 2016 la Fleur-Petrus reveals stunning Black Forest cake, redcurrant jelly and wilted roses scents with underlying suggestions of pencil shavings, yeast extract, dark chocolate and cloves. Medium to full-bodied, the mid-palate possesses superb intensity and depth with layers of perfumed black fruits and loads of red fruit sparks framed by firm, ripe, grainy tannins and oodles of freshness, finishing on a lingering earthy note."