- Item #: i_352963Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is amazing for the second wine with incredible white truffle, stone and currant character. Purity of fruit on the nose. Full-bodied, silky and refined. Fantastic length. Better in 2018 but almost impossible to resist now. Incredible."
- Item #: i_300070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS: "The 2016 Angelique de Monbousquet is deep garnet-purple colored and features bold scents of crushed blackberries, warm plums and raspberry pie with hints of dried herbs, underbrush and tobacco. Medium to full-bodied, the palate reveals loads of minerally sparks interspersed with the vibrant red and black fruit layers, finishing pleasantly chewy."
- Item #: i_345941Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the highly regarded winemaker from Hartwell, Realm, Kata and Fait Main (Teeter Totter) comes an absurd value. The inaugural release of the Arbalest is a project involving winemaker Benoit Touquette and importer/distributor Kimberly Jones. Our French and California wine buyers sampled this wine together last week and absolutely loved it. After tasting it, we knew we had to bring it into the store and quickly snapped up every single bottle that was available. This lush and juicy full-bodied wine boasts an abundance of dark fruit flavors and incredible texture with silky smooth tannins.
The idea of Arbalest was born when Benoit and Kimberly were traveling in France. They tasted a lot of wine in Bordeaux and both felt they could improve the quality of reasonably priced wine from the region. Benoit drew on his relationships in Bordeaux and found a source for high quality grapes. Benoit then did what he does best. He made this wine in his style consistent with his other wines, but kept the price amazingly low.
Benoit was born in Bordeaux where he was surrounded by family and friends in the wine business. He was amazed at the passion people had for wine and soon felt it himself. He graduated from Bordeaux University with a Master’s Degree in Oenology and learned from one of Bordeaux's greatest, Michel Rolland. After some time, Benoit decided it was time for a new challenge and decided to go to Napa. There he worked with another legendary winemaker, Andy Erickson, whose resume includes such iconic estates as Dalla Valle, Screaming Eagle and Spottswoode.
The mentorship of Michel Rolland and Andy Erickson was transformative for Benoit. He has learned well and clearly knows how to make delicious wines. In the spirit of full disclosure, we have to admit this wine possesses the character of Touquette’s full-bodied Napa reds. The quality of the perfectly ripened fruit flavors and creamy texture in this Bordeaux blend made us feel like we were enjoying a much higher priced wine. It does have a touch of minerality you might encounter in Bordeaux, but this is a dead ringer for a high quality Napa wine.
Enjoy the inaugural release of this limited production wine while you can.
Arbalest displays aromas of blue florals, blackberry, boysenberry and plum. On the palate, this wine is full-bodied with well- integrated tannins and flavors mirroring the nose. Fresh dark fruit including blueberry and creme de cassis are followed by beautiful hints of umami on the mid palate. The finish is seamless and persistent. Drink now through 2022.
- Item #: i_399905Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS: "The 2013 Beauséjour (Duffau Lagarrosse) offers impressive intensity given the growing season with crisp and pure dark cherries, raspberry coulis and subtle earthy bordering upon loamy scents. The oak here is nicely enmeshed and attests some clever winemaking in this challenging season. The palate is well balanced with a little chewiness on the entry. There is admirable weight here, even if I discerned more finesse and precision on the 2013 Pavie-Macquin. Still, this constitutes a sterling effort and it should give 10 to 15 years of pleasure, possibly longer."
- Item #: i_344002Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93Decanter: 93 PointsTIM ATKIN 94 POINTS - "Warm creamy hints of lime and pastry. Flowers and some very ripe rhubarb aromas. Grassy grapefruit and citrus pip/pith complexity. Deep baked lime and fresh floral complexity. Very good. Needs the oak it is about to get to round out and soften."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A pure, bracing style, with jicama, white peach and honeysuckle notes. Shows a long fleur de sel edge on the finish. High-pitched and lovely."
- Item #: i_351830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A great sleeper of the vintage, this fully mature wine, made by Helene Garcin, has loads of deep raspberry and black cherry fruit with hints of licorice, toasty oak, and spice box. It is plush, succulent, and hedonistic, yet at the same time complex. I loved their 1998, and this wine seems to have turned out just as well. It has reached full maturity, where it should stay for at least a 10 to 15-year period."
- Item #: i_351420Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "This wine is more backward than I would have normally expected, but nevertheless, it is very impressive. The 2010 Branaire-Ducru displays an inky bluish purple color and loads of mulberry, raspberry, black currant, graphite and floral notes in its intense aromatics. Medium to full-bodied , with sensational ripeness, purity, texture and length, the tannins are slightly more prominent than I remember from barrel, but they are sweet and ripe (as opposed to astringent and bitter). This beautiful wine needs 4-6 years of cellaring and should keep 25-30 years. 12/2013"
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Very polished and stylish, with a velvety feel to the layers of crushed plum, currant and blackberry, while bittersweet cocoa and black licorice glide in on the gorgeous, black tea-infused finish. Features a lovely allure rather than raw power, making this possibly the prettiest St.-Julien of the vintage. There's plenty in the tank for cellaring as well. Best from 2014 through 2030."
- Item #: i_346029Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 92Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 92It's no secret that the 2015 vintage in Bordeaux produced a bevy of outstanding wines. One of the best things about such a vintage is that quality is apparent at all price levels. Case in point is Chateau Cote De Baleau from Saint Emilion, which clearly benefitted from the exemplary growing season. Showing expressive aromatics and perfectly ripened fruit aged in 50% new French oak, this wine is a symphony of pleasure with each of the components working together in perfect harmony.
The critics have spoken-loudly and you would be hard pressed to find a better wine at this price from Bordeaux. The Wine Advocate said, ."It is one of the best wines that I have tasted from the estate with a refined and intense bouquet with precise black and red fruit." Antonio Galloni of Vinous called it a, "super-polished, elegant Saint-Emilion that speaks with a hushed, sensual voice."
This wine is classified as Grand Cru Classe which is a designation of quality awarded after an independent panel tastes the wine and inspects the property. The Chateau was purchased a few years ago by the owners of the great Saint Emilion estate, Clos Fourtet so it's no surprise that this small jewel is shining brighter than ever. This hand-harvested Bordeaux blend has silky tannins and is a delicious, seamless and persistent wine.
The 2015 Cote De Baleau represents an amazing value and in fact, we are able to offer this wine at the lowest price in the country at $23.98 per bottle.
Supplies are limited to stock on hand. When it's gone, it's gone!
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "The 2015 Côte de Baleau has a refined and intense bouquet with precise black and red fruit, seamlessly integrated oak and a sense of terroir coming through. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, well-judged acidity and plenty of finesse and poise towards the finish. This is such a pretty Saint Emilion that you almost overlook its length and persistence. It is one of the best wines that I have tasted from the estate."
VINOUSMEDIA 93 POINTS - "Just as it was en primeur, the 2015 Côte de Baleau is pure class. Silky tannins, lifted aromatics and soft, caressing fruit meld together to inform a super-polished, elegant Saint-Émilion that speaks with a hushed, sensual voice. Readers who appreciate the more restrained side of Bordeaux will find much to admire." -- Antonio Galloni
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Attractive, spiced berry and earthy aromas with light mocha notes, leading to a palate with fresh red berries. A lithe, mid-weight clutch of tannins to close. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_346030Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 94-97James Suckling: 94-95ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2015 Coutet comes with 153 grams per liter of residual sugar at 13.8% alcohol. It has a fragrant bouquet with acacia honey, citrus scents and a touch of melted butter, all very well defined. The palate is medium-bodied with impressive purity, those limestone soils imparting the acidity that defined this Barsac, and lending great precision and tension on the live-wire finish. This is a wonderful Coutet that feels energetic - a compressed spring coil that will drink earlier than the likes of Climens or de Fargues, but has the DNA to age gracefully over 25-30 years"
VINOUSMEDIA 90-94 POINTS: "The 2015 Coutet is nicely lifted, gracious and understated. Candied apple, Jolly Rancher and exotic flowers are all nicely balanced in this attractive, mid-weight Sauternes. This is a very pretty Barsac built on aromatic nuance and bright, salivating acidity." -- Antonio Galloni
WINE SPECTATOR 94-97 POINTS: "Vibrant, with a singed almond frame sprinting along, this offers nectarine, white peach and star fruit notes. Mirabelle plum and pineapple details echo through the finish. Very long, boasting terrific range. Score range: 94-97" –JM
JAMES SUCKLING 94-95 POINTS: "A Coutet with great depth and fruit. So much dried tropical fruit character, bright acidity and fruit sweetness. Vivid and clean."
- Item #: i_334210Bottle Size: 750MLDeep purple color with aromas of black cherries, dark berries, figs, and hints of black tea, tobacco and pepper. Bright and youthful, medium bodied but fruit forward and friendly without being over-extracted. Excellent tannin intergration and very food friendly.
- Item #: i_353084Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - " There’s a very rich and powerful core of red-plum and mulberry aromas and flavors here, delivering an assertive and very shimmery, polished palate. Great tannin texture. Long and regal. Every bit as good as the 2015, but more lively in 2016. Try from 2023."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_351551Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94ROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS: "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Fonplegade opens with a very savory nose of smoked meats, tapenade, sautéed herbs and beef drippings over a core of plum preserves, chocolate-covered cherries and cedar chest plus wafts of violets and cigars. Medium to full-bodied, the palate possesses both intensity and elegance, with the black fruit layers superbly framed by firm, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and mineral laced."
- Item #: i_346037Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 89-92James Suckling: 90-91ROBERTPARKER.COM 92-94 POINTS: "The 2015 Grand Mayne has a ripe small, dark cherry and mulberry scented bouquet, very perfumed with cassis scents emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, very elegant and poised, part of a new style of Grand Mayne that is much more refined than the vintages of the 1990s and 2000s. In a word, what Jean-Antoine Nony and his team have made here is a "stylish" Saint Emilion."
VINOUSMEDIA 91-94 POINTS: "Rich, ample and concentrated, the 2015 Grand Mayne is a terrific example of Saint-Émilion done in a modern, sumptuous style. Ripe, silky tannins wrap around a core of dark red cherry, raspberry, mocha, espresso and menthol. The 2015 is dense, powerful and voluptuous to the core, with terrific harmony. This is an impressive showing. Michel Rolland and Louis Mitjaville consult. Tasted three times." -- Antonio Galloni
WINE SPECTATOR 89-92 POINTS: "Nicely packed together, with juicy raspberry and plum paste flavors buttressed by licorice and ganache. Shows some energy through the finish, but this is more about heft than grace. Score range: 89-92" –JM
JAMES SUCKLING 90-91 POINTS: "A juicy and rich red with roasted coffee, chocolate and ripe fruit. Full body, velvety tannins. A little over extracted now but could come around with proper barrel aging."
- Item #: i_346038Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 93-96Vinous Media: 90-93James Suckling: 96-97ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2015 Guiraud, tasted in two occasions, has a sumptuous bouquet with scents of wild honey, apricot and a faint smear of marmalade. The palate is fresh and tensile on the entry, brimming with energy with impressive energy towards the blood orange and quince-tinged finish. This is a stylish, suave Guiraud that should age beautifully in bottle."
VINOUSMEDIA 90-93 POINTS: 'The 2015 Guiraud is classy, nuanced and understated. Scents of orange peel, crème brulee, pineapple, mint and sweet spices give the 2015 much of its aromatic lift and intrigue. Deceptively medium in body, the 2015 has quite a bit of depth, but avoids being heavy. There is so much to like here." -- Antonio Galloni
WINE SPECTATOR 93-96 POINTS: "Very expressive, with nectarine, mirabelle plum, green plum and white peach notes melding well, backed by a pronounced honeysuckle edge. Shows excellent range, with power in reserve. Score range: 93-96" –JM
JAMES SUCKLING 96-97 POINTS: "This is really something. I have never tasted a Guiraud like this. This is full-bodied yet so fresh and incredibly crisp and lively. Spicy and energetic. Fantastic acidity!"
- Item #: i_351700Bottle Size: 750mlCherry-red in colour, tinged with ruby, with its generous bouquet, Château Haut La Pierrière is juicy and voluptuous. On the palate, extremely ripe fruit, followed by silky, integrated tannins define this wine, which is so similar to Saint-Emilion in style. A supple, well-balanced wine.
- Item #: i_351701Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "This wine has weight and rich fruit. It also offers the tannins and structure associated with Saint-Estèphe, which balance the generous potential of the blackberry flavors. Half-and-half Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, the wine needs to age. Drink from 2025."
- Item #: i_346032Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS: - "Very pretty aromas of perfume, currants and orange peel follow through to a full body, round and chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Solid and structured. Give it two years to soften. Better in 2020."
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS: "Offers an enticing core of plum, black currant and raspberry paste flavors that are mixed with light charcoal, licorice and singed alder notes. This has energy to match its range through the finish. Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2019 through 2025. 9,600 cases made." –JM
- Item #: i_351781Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "Made by Pierre Seillan of Verité in Sonoma (the estate was purchased by the Jackson Family in 2003) from 50- to 60-year-old vines on clay and limestone, the 2015 Lassegue is composed of 70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep garnet-purple colored, it opens with expressive black forest cake, preserved plums and blackberry pie notes with an undercurrent of mocha, grilled meats, sandalwood and cigar box plus a waft of lavender. Medium to full-bodied, rich and densely packed with opulent layers of spiced black fruit preserves and chocolate box notions, it has wonderfully plush yet firm tannins and a lovely suggestion of background acid, finishing long and fragrant."