- Item #: i_379709Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 92 POINTS-"It had been a few years since I last tasted a bottle of Agrapart’s lovely “Les 7 Crus” cuvée. The wine is really lovely, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, citrus zest and fresh-baked bread. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and complex, with a lovely core, elegant mousse, fine focus and a very long, zesty and perfectly balanced finish. This is one lower dosage bottling that is drinking with style and grace in its youth. 2016-2030."
- Item #: i_376767Bottle Size: 750mlTHE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 95 POINTS - "I say 10% of the blend is from my blood!' declares Jean-Francois Clouet, who has changed the style of his family's rose to a fresher and more direct mood, not so soft, aiming for the lively impression of malic acidity, even though it goes through full malolactic fermentation. The result is arose that epitomises elegance and focus, in the midst of generous red fruits that characterise Bouzy and Ambonnay. This cuvee encapsulates the wonderful talent of Pinot Noir to build and rise on the finish, opening to wonderful characters of perfumed rosehip, pink pepper and pomegrate. An undercurrent of fine, chalk mineral texture, accurate line and persevering length define a pristine and enticingly priced rose."
- Item #: i_352326Bottle Size: 750mlIMPORTER'S NOTES-"100% Chardonnay. Dosage 8 to 9g/L. Blend of 2009 and 2010 vintages. Located in the Côte des Blancs, Bertrand Robert's family’s plots sit on some of the most prized terroir in the world, much of it in the Grand Cru territory of Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger. Aromas of yeast, apple, walnut and fresh bread complemented by hints of white flowers and acacia. Complex, subtle and pure, offering precise minerality backed by citrus, stone fruit, brioche and ginger flavors. Finishes long and with a chalky texture.
It is hard not to be delighted by this bubbly’s fresh mix of white flower, acacia, and orchard fruit aromas. In the mouth this Champagne is vividly juicy and filled to the brim with ripe apple, white peach and nectarine flavors that are imbued with pervasive inflections of wet stones and seashells. The finish, which fades only with greatest reluctance, tantalizes with subtle glimmers of allspice, ginger and brioche.
The Robert family has been in the Champagne growing business for well over a century, but it wasn’t until 1961 that André Robert established the family’s own estate brand and production cellars. In 1997 André’s son Bertrand took over management of the operation. Today he farms some 27 acres split into dozens of tiny garden sized parcels. His vines average between 25-30 years of age with the lion’s share being Chardonnay planted in the Le Mesnil cru. Bertrand practices Viticulture Raisonnée, a protocol that emphasizes natural measures to control pests and rot with chemical treatments used only as a last resort. So once again, as we have seen with other top growerproducers, the quality of this Champagne is a natural outgrowth of family pride combined with generations of local knowledge along with a deep reverence for the land.
- Item #: i_373504Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE & SPIRITS 92 POINTS
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "Light yellow-gold. Intense, mineral-laced aromas of blood orange, dried pear and anise, with a suave floral quality gaining power with air. Chewy and precise on the palate, offering bitter pear skin, redcurrant and honeysuckle flavors plus a suggestion of buttery brioche. Finishes sappy and long, leaving notes of toasty lees and orange pith behind.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Smoky, with rich hints of lightly charred toast and nut providing a subtle base for the flavors of plum, candied lemon zest and chalk. Firm, offering a creamy texture and smoky mineral details on the finish."
- Item #: i_379136Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This subtle Champagne shows fine integration and texture, withsublayers of cardamom and anise accenting the flavors of applegalette, honey and lemon curd. Very elegant, with a lingering,smoke- and rose-tinged finish. Drink now through 2020."
The Montagne de Reims village of Bouzy is famed for producing some of Champagne’s grandest, most vinous Pinot Noir based bottlings. Saves along with Jean Vesselle are arguably the stars of the village. Allen Meadows, "The Burghound", recently inked this praise for their "white label": "Quite fruity with an airy, even layered quality to the nose with solid depth and plenty of punch and energy to the firm but not aggressive finish that delivers ample length. This is one of those pleasant examples that could be easily approached now because of the complexity the high [75%] percentage of Pinot contributes, yet I would hold this for at least 3 years." A couple of weeks back we tasted this along side Bollinger’s excellent Brut "Special Cuvee" and found their flavors to be remarkably similar except that the Saves had better structure and a bit more flavor intricacy."
- Item #: i_376905Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90Camille Savès is a still under the radar family run Champagne house in the village of Bouzy making small quantities of fine artisanally crafted Champagne. All fruit is sourced from the family's own 25 acres of vineyards, which include Grand Cru parcels in the Grand Crus of Bouzy, Ambonnay and Tours-sur-Marne. The vines are tended according to the principles of lutte raisonée and have an average age of nearly forty years. A blend of 60% Chardonnay, and 40% Pinot Noir 12% of which is Bouzy Rouge. All the vineyard parcels for this rose are located in Bouzy and are south-facing. The base vintage is 2012 blended with 20% reserve wine. After some three years of aging on the lees this bottle was disgorged in November of 2016 with a dosage of 9 g/l. There is a delightful, delicate red berry aroma on the nose and while amply textured, harmonious palate delivers a delectable panoply of red fruits toned by ample acids and chalk inflections.
- Item #: i_374657Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92JOHN GILMAN 92+ POINTS-"Alexandre Chartogne’s Sainte Anne bottling hails from several different lieux à dits in Merfy and is fermented in stainless steel tanks, with indigenous yeasts and the current release is comprised of a fifty-fifty blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The current release is excellent, offering the tactile seriousness on the palate that is the calling card of all of Alexandre’s wines that I have had a pleasure to taste so far, along with superb, racy structure and impressive nascent complexity. The bouquet is a blend of apple, white peach, complex minerality, gentle brioche, white flowers and a bit of high-end smokiness. On the palate the wine is full-bodied, young and beautifully focused, with a rock solid core, great cut and grip, very refined mousse and outstanding length and grip on the primary finish. This is still very early days for this superb wine, so tuck it away in the cellar for at least a couple of years and let it blossom. Fine, fine juice."
- Item #: i_376254Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-'Tightly knit and exotic, with mouthwatering acidity and expressive accents of coconut, ground clove and tea rose to the flavors of yellow plum, lemon curd and graphite. Creamy and harmonious. Drink now through 2019. 4,000 cases made. (03/16)."
JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS"Nicolas Demière’s current bottling of non-vintage Blanc de Blancs is base year 2012 and the wine is absolutely singing at the present time. The dosage here is six grams per liter and the nose jumps from the glass in wide open constellation of pear, crème patissière, lovely chalkiness, a touch of fresh almond, gentle smokiness and a topnote of white flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, vibrant and rock solid at the core, with excellent focus and grip, lovely, frothy mousse and a long, racy finish. This is drinking very well indeed today, but will clearly last very well and it would be a fine bottle to lay down in the cellar as well. 2016- 2030. 91+."
- Item #: i_377844Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS-"[This] is a Chardonnay from five villages of the Côte des Blancs but is mainly sourced in Vertus (50%). The recent disgorgement from early 2018 (dosage: four grams per liter) is based on the 2012 vintage and includes 50% of reserve wines from vintages 2011 down to 2008. Intensely citrus colored, this is a pure, fresh, concentrated, very mineral and pure Chardonnay that still offers greenish citrus flavors. With great finesse and complexity on the palate, it is very elegant and pure as well as very long and expressive, with intense, powerful and well-concentrated but fresh and highly finessed fruit and vitality. There is lots of energy and tension here, lots of expression and length. Great complexity and vitality. This has huge aging potential. A great wine, indeed.(08/18)"
- Item #: i_352329Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 1 1/2 STARS-"This is a blend of 60 percent Pinot Noir and 40 percent Chardonnay, and half of it was fermented in barrel. [Based on 2012] It contains an unusually high percentage of reserve wine—no less than 70 percent—including every vintage back to 2008, and this is felt in the wine’s richness of texture, as well as in its subtle complexity of flavor on the palate. Its fruit feels pure and focused, and its dosage of 5 g/l is expertly judged, giving this an impeccable sense of harmony and poise. An outstanding value for non-vintage Champagne."
- Item #: i_374661Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-This has a bright rose-hip and pink-fruit nose with a gently chalky edge. The palate has beautiful strawberry fruits and is really fresh and focused. Great finesse here. Polished tannins. Rich and pure. Drink now. A blend of 2010 and 2011: 50% Meunier, 40% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay."
- Item #: i_377258Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"-An expressive skein of ground spice is the aromatic highlight of this finely balanced blanc de blancs, offering a refined and creamy bead, layered with flavors of poached pear, candied lemon zest, honey and pastry. Drink now through 2023. 11/13."
PETER LEIM CHAMPAGNEGUIDE.NET-"This is 60 percent Montgueux and 40 percent Le Mesnil and Oger; 70 percent of the blend comes from the base vintage of 2009, with the other 30 percent being reserve wine from 2008. It’s round and rich, showing the intrinsic opulence of Montgueux Chardonnay, and its flavors of ripe peach and citrus are generous and accessible, persisting with good length and plenty of aroma. Last tasted: 2/13."
- Item #: i_317706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90PETER LEIM 2 STARS -"This is 82 percent Pinot Noir from Mareuil, Avenay Val d’Or, Bisseuil and Hautvillers, blended with 18 percent Mareuil chardonnay. Over half of the blend (53 percent) is reserve wine from 2013 and 2012, and with a trio of vintages like this, it’s no surprise that this is one of the finest editions of this cuvée that Hébrart has ever produced. Generous in body yet streamlined in shape, it’s marked by a silky texture and vibrant depth of fruit, offering both a strong Grande Vallée identity and sheer delicious appeal." Last tasted: 3/17
Importer Terry calls this THE unsung hero of his portfolio.
- Item #: i_325404Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90TERRY THEISE +-"Yes, a plus. Shocked me too. This is 65% 2008, so maybe not so shocking after all. It’s unsurprisingly delicious, with ‘08’s silvery lift and a white-flower talc-y coolness. This is the best NV I’ve tasted here, and yes I did notice a small note of oxidation but I saw it as “antique” rather than decadent. And let’s remember: how many NV grower Champagnes have an 8-year old wine as the youngest year in the blend???"
- Item #: i_374559Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Chardonnay, 40% Meunier,this wine has an unusually fine mousse and terrific elegance, fruit and stony salinity. This is Sélèque’s flagship wine, representing nearly half of the total house production.
- Item #: i_378213Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-A pinot-dominant blend (70 per cent) that has a flavorsome array of berries and brioche on the nose with light, spicy nuances, too. The palate has attractive, vinous, fleshy presence, some chalky oyster-shell notes and a crisp, dry, succulent finish. Drink now." (09/18)
- Item #: i_325424Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 90 POINTS-" Disgorged October 2015 Christophe Defrance is currently the head of this fine small domaine, located in the Aube. The current release of his Brut Exception is from the base year of 2010 and is comprised entirely of Pinot Blanc. The vins clairs are raised in stainless steel and went through full malolactic fermentation. The bouquet is complex and beautifully expressive, wafting from the glass in a mix of peach, pear, brioche, musky floral tones and a fine base of chalky soil tones. On the palate the wine is fullish, focused and light on its feet, with a good core, frothy mousse, and good balance and grip on the vibrant finish. This is a lovely aperitif weight bubbly, with a quite unique profile from its pinot blanc origins. Good juice. 2016-2025+."
- Item #: i_379019Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Bright and creamy, this well-balanced Champagne offers flavors of white peach, pear, candied grapefruit zest and pastry, joined by a briny hint of oyster shell. The firm acidity presents itself as a lively zestiness that is very appealing."
- Item #: i_378902Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Pretty strawberry, ripe cherry, lemon curd and pastry notes mix in this firm rosé, offering lip-smacking acidity, with smoke and chalk notes on the finish. Disgorged January 2013. Drink now through 2016."
- Item #: i_376514Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS-"The NV (2015) Brut Nature Blanc de Blancs is once again one of the stars in the range, not to mention an absolutely insane value in the world of fine wine. Bright, sculpted and classy to the core, the 2015 dazzles from the very first taste. Citrus, mineral and floral notes abound in this super-expressive, finely-cut Blanc de Blancs. Crystalline and energetic, the Blanc de Blancs has so much to offer. The 2015 is a more than worthy follow up to the stellar 2013. Non-dosé. Disgorged: January 2018."
- Item #: i_337890Bottle Size: 750MLPure grand cru Chardonnay from the chalky, cool soils of Cramant in the Côte de Blancs. Lemon curd, lightly toasted brioche, green tea highlights. Long, savory and seductive; a captivating non-vintage wine that can age with the best of vintage bottles. Generally winemaker Michael Chauvet adds 30% reserve wine; aged for five years on fine lees. Dosage less than 9 grams/L.
- Item #: i_375012Bottle Size: 750ml50% PN, 20% CH, 30% PM | Base Vintage: 2013 | Ageing: 3 years on the lees | Dosage: 6 g/l Lots of peachy character, aromatic and perfumed. Dosage doesn’t seem 6 g/l, this has quite a lot of richness making it not at all dry. Lovely balance and texture.
- Item #: i_352590Bottle Size: 750mlLanson was one of the first brands to offer Rosé Champagne. In this respect, the House has over 50 years experience. Rosé derives its pink tint from the blending of the 3 classic grape varieties, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay. It is produced in the traditional way with a small amount of fine red wine made exclusively from Pinot Noir to give the wine its colour. This Lanson is composed of 50% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 15% Meunier, with 7% Bouzy red added for color. Like all of Lanson's Champagnes, this Rose is fermented in stainless steel without malolactic fermenatation. The result is a lively pale pink Champagne that displays subtle berry flavors accented with hints of toast and nougat.
- Item #: i_332410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The NV Brut Rose Premier Cru offers an enticing floral life to its notes of mint, roses, pomegranate and sweet spices. This powerful, mineral-driven wine possesses tons of depth and personality in a vinous style that will blossom to the fullest at the dinner table. The Champagne continues to grow in the glass, suggesting it is still holding much of its potential in reserve. This is another compelling wine from Guy Larmandier. The estate’s Rose is based on the Brut Premier Cru blend, plus about 12% still Pinot from Vertus."
From writer Peter Liem: ""This estate is related to both Larmandier-Bernier, in Vertus, and Pierre Gimonnet, in Cuis, as well as to Waris-Larmandier in Avize. Guy Larmandier's brother, Philippe, was the father of Pierre Larmandier, proprietor of Larmandier-Bernier. Guy's sister, Françoise Larmandier, married Michel Gimonnet, father of Olivier and Didier Gimonnet, who run the estate of Pierre Gimonnet today. Currently the Guy Larmandier estate is in the hands of Guy's son, François. François's sister, Marie-Hélène, is married to Vincent Waris, and together they formed the estate of Waris-Larmandier, although Marie-Hélène divides her time between the two estates. Larmandier's cuvées are separated by terroir: from the vines in Vertus, Larmandier produces a non-vintage brut, packaged in a white label and composed of 90 percent chardonnay and 10 percent pinot noir. This also serves as the base for the brut rosé, made with the addition of red wine from Vertus. "