- Item #: i_353133Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the 2017s and starting with the base Châteauneuf Du Pape, it's a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah that was brought up mostly in demi-muids. Revealing a ruby/purple hue as well as notes of black raspberries, kirsch, garrigue, incense, and loamy soil and earth, this beauty hits the palate with beautiful depth of fruit, a layered, rounded, sexy texture, no hard edges, remarkable purity, and just tons of charm. Drink it any time over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As always, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes has a touch more dark fruits, more concentration, and more structure, which makes it less approachable but more age-worthy. Blackcurrants, ground pepper, bouquet garni, crushed rocks, and garrigue notes all emerge from this structured, focused, yet ripe and beautifully textured Châteauneuf Du Pape that's going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes starts off with scents of tapenade, then adds ripe cherries and cola notes. Dark and concentrated, it's full-bodied and open-knit, perhaps a bit coarser than the elegant 2016, with a touch of chocolate on the long finish. The Grenache in this cuvée was planted in 1905, making this a relative value among old-vine offerings."
- Item #: i_353134Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Coming in (rating-wise) right where I projected it would last year, Giraud's 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape is a terrific example of a cuvée tradition. At 80% Grenache, 15% Syrah and 5% Mourvèdre, it's a pretty typical blend yet one that exceeds expectations. It's full-bodied, plush and velvety, showing ample ripeness—raspberries, cherries, and stone fruit—without going over the top into cooked fruit. No, it doesn't show that much complexity at this age, but some of that will emerge over the next decade or so."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "I loved the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape, and I’d certainly be happy with a case in the cellar. Offering a pure, elegant, incredibly Grenache-driven profile of sweet black raspberries, incense, violets, and garrigue, it’s medium to full-bodied, ethereal, and elegant on the palate. It’s already hard to resist yet will keep for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_351583Bottle Size: 750mlRouchier is one of the smallest productions, he total vineyard area of the Domaine is only 1.5 hectares, worked solely by husband and wife team Christian and Martine. In the Heart of Saint Joseph, Rouchier produces two 100% Syrah Lieu-dits, Luc, a .5 hectare parcel planted in 1972 on clay on Schist soils. The other parcel, Chave, is a one-hectare plot planted in 1958 on granite. Both vineyards are organic, and like a handful of producers in the Rhone valley, Rouchier bottles their wines naturally with no sulfur added and is the first we have seen apply these principles to Saint Joseph. These are very pure and juicy bottlings of Syrah in Saint Joseph with the Chave shows more vineyard expression; both are serious. Rouchier has been polishing there wines creating fresh examples and leaning away from the ultra-rustic style that their first vintages saw.
- Item #: i_353037Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS: "A special cuvée made for American importer Peter Weygandt, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Girard includes a bit more old-vine Grenache, and it shows in the wine's increased elegance. It's more floral than the regular bottling, with scents of tea and roses, but it's also darker and richer, with black cherry fruit, a velvety mouthfeel and a long, layered finish."
- Item #: i_352376Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 93Vinous Media: 92 PointsJames Suckling: 94Decanter: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Wow. This has such attractive dark plums and berries with chocolate and cocoa, as well as ripe red and dark cherries. The complexity and depth is striking here. The palate carries so much flavor and so much detail. So lush. Rich dark fruit, cocoa and red-cherry pip to close. Drink over the next decade or more. This has plenty in the tank."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving back south, the 2017 Gigondas is another terrific vintage for this cuvée, and it’s a quintessential expression of Saint Cosme. Ground herbs, graphite, gunpowder, pepper, black raspberries, and cassis all emerge from this full-bodied, ripe, polished Gigondas. With solid concentration, building yet ripe tannins, and a great finish, you’ll be thrilled to have a case in the cellar."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS This offers a mix of dark cherry, currant and blackberry compote flavors, scored liberally with singed alder, dried sage and warm earth accents through the finish. A flash of chestnut at the very end keeps this in the old-school camp. Solid for the vintage. Best from 2022 through 2035."