- Item #: i_353121Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine la Barroche is a family estate that has been passed down from one generation to the next since the 14th century. Julien’s father, Christian Barrot, is passionate about viticulture and has taken meticulous care of the family’s 12.5 hectare of vines since the early 1970’s. Until Julien joined his father back in 2002, all of the wine had been sold in bulk to negociants. Now, half of the Grenache vines are more than 100 years-old and are some of the oldest found in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Julien has moved to completely organic viticulture (not certified) and his father is still following his passion and continues to work in the vineyards. Taking all of his father’s work to the next level, Julien is now vinifying each grape variety and some parcels separately, studying and learning his holdings parcel by parcel.
The 2017 Domaine La Barroche Chateauneuf-du-Pape offers a singular wine personality, a delicate alchemy of spices and well-ripened black fruits, a delight for the senses.
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_353133Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the 2017s and starting with the base Châteauneuf Du Pape, it's a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah that was brought up mostly in demi-muids. Revealing a ruby/purple hue as well as notes of black raspberries, kirsch, garrigue, incense, and loamy soil and earth, this beauty hits the palate with beautiful depth of fruit, a layered, rounded, sexy texture, no hard edges, remarkable purity, and just tons of charm. Drink it any time over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_351169Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93-95JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "A blend of 75% Grenache and 25% Mourvèdre, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Safres makes the most of this vintage and sports incredible elegance and finesse while still packing solid depth of fruit and concentration. Beautiful notes of kirsch, licorice, toasted spices, and flowery incense all flow to a medium to full-bodied 2018 that has polished tannins and a great finish. The balance, purity, and finesse here are top notch."
VINOUS 93-95 POINTS - "Deep bright-hued red. Sexy, spice-accented aromas of ripe red berries and potpourri are lent vivacity by a smoky mineral element. Sweet, palate-coating raspberry, cherry preserve, spicecake and floral pastille flavors show a suave blend of depth and energy. Displays fine delineation and finishes with superb clarity and emphatic, red-fruit-driven persistence. Raised for 17 months in large oak foudres."
- Item #: i_351942Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The same Grenache-dominated blend as the base cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes comes from older vines and is released solely for the US market. It's a step up and is reminiscent of the 2010 with its depth, concentration, and purity. Black cherries, kirsch, licorice, and crushed rock notes all emerge from this ultra-fine, beautifully polished 2016 that does everything right. Don't miss it."
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "The assemblage for the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes is the same as for the "regular" Châteauneuf-du-Pape, at 75% Grenache, 15% Syrah and the rest a blend of Cinsault, Mourvèdre and Vaccarèse. The difference is that the Grenache in this wine was planted in 1905. And what a difference that makes. This is dark, plummy and rich but still vibrant and fresh. Full-bodied, velvety and intense, it boasts a super finish, again loaded with intriguing notes of licorice and spice. At around $50 (I've seen it online for as little as $40 to $45), this is a superb value in the overall scheme of CdP."
- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape offers more kirsch, garrigue, and graphite notes as well as a full-bodied, rounded, incredibly sexy, seamless profile. This is one sexy, opulent, gorgeous traditional cuvée."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS "Bottled at the end of March, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape seems fully recovered, offering notes of ripe cherries, cola and tree bark. It's full-bodied, supple and silky on the long finish. Simply a joy to drink and sure to be relatively affordable, it's the sort of Châteauneuf du Pape that will appeal to newbies and collectors alike."
- Item #: i_322198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "Sourced from 60-year-old vines and aged in 15% to 20% new oak, the 2016 Saint Joseph l'Olivaie offers a concentrated mouthful of black olive and cherry fruit, a velvety texture and a long, cool finish. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink well on release and for up to decade. Young Jerôme Coursodon now farms 16 hectares in Saint Joseph, centered around Mauves, just outside Tournon. He considers the 2016s more approachable than the dense 2015s."
JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS: "Leading off the 2016s from barrel, the 2016 Saint Joseph L'Olivaie comes from the lieu-dit of the same name and vines averaging 60 years in age. It’s a ripe, concentrated beauty that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, scorched earth, spice and pepper. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe, present tannin and a great finish, it's going to be a great value. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_353134Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Coming in (rating-wise) right where I projected it would last year, Giraud's 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape is a terrific example of a cuvée tradition. At 80% Grenache, 15% Syrah and 5% Mourvèdre, it's a pretty typical blend yet one that exceeds expectations. It's full-bodied, plush and velvety, showing ample ripeness—raspberries, cherries, and stone fruit—without going over the top into cooked fruit. No, it doesn't show that much complexity at this age, but some of that will emerge over the next decade or so."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "I loved the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape, and I’d certainly be happy with a case in the cellar. Offering a pure, elegant, incredibly Grenache-driven profile of sweet black raspberries, incense, violets, and garrigue, it’s medium to full-bodied, ethereal, and elegant on the palate. It’s already hard to resist yet will keep for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_351582Bottle Size: 750mlThis small family Domaine of 1.5 hectares is situated in the heart of the Saint-Joseph appellation, in Ardèche, the Northern section of the Rhône wine region in Southern France.Although her family had for many years supplied grapes to a large local négociant, Martine Rouchier and her husband, Christian, determined in 2010 to begin making their own wine. They immediately began converting their vineyards to organic viticulture, a process that they completed beginning with the 2013 vintage. By 2015, Martine and Christian were practicing not only completely organic and biodynamic farming and fermentation. but also fully “natural” winemaking, in that their Saint-Joseph is made entirely without added sulfur. Domaine Rouchier produces two cuvées parcellaires of 100% Syrah: Luc is a .5-hectare lieu-dit of vines planted in 1972 on the hills above St-Jean de Muzols. The vineyard lies on a west-facing slope at an elevation of approximately 250m in soil comprised of clay and schist. Chave is a 1-hectare lieu-dit planted with vines dating to 1958. With Western exposition, Chave lies on soil dominated by granitic gneiss. Both cuvées employ two weeks of whole-cluster fermentation in concrete over indigenous yeasts, punctuated with pigeage (punching down) and remontage (pumping over). The young wine is then aged over for 16-18 months in neutral (5-9 years) oak barrels of 228L . The finished wine is then bottled unfiltered and entirely without SO2.
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_352376Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94Decanter: 92JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Wow. This has such attractive dark plums and berries with chocolate and cocoa, as well as ripe red and dark cherries. The complexity and depth is striking here. The palate carries so much flavor and so much detail. So lush. Rich dark fruit, cocoa and red-cherry pip to close. Drink over the next decade or more. This has plenty in the tank."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving back south, the 2017 Gigondas is another terrific vintage for this cuvée, and it’s a quintessential expression of Saint Cosme. Ground herbs, graphite, gunpowder, pepper, black raspberries, and cassis all emerge from this full-bodied, ripe, polished Gigondas. With solid concentration, building yet ripe tannins, and a great finish, you’ll be thrilled to have a case in the cellar."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS This offers a mix of dark cherry, currant and blackberry compote flavors, scored liberally with singed alder, dried sage and warm earth accents through the finish. A flash of chestnut at the very end keeps this in the old-school camp. Solid for the vintage. Best from 2022 through 2035."
- Item #: i_353794Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Vieille Julienne's Jean-Paul Daumen is unquestionably one of the most talented winemakers in all of France" - Jeb Dunnuck
Jean-Paul Daumen continues to make some of the purest wines in the appellation" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
The Chateauneuf-du-Papes across the board are monumental wines" - Jeb Dunnuck
We recently had the opportunity to purchase extraordinary Chateauneuf du Pape at very compelling prices. This includes several library vintages direct from the estate of Domaine de la Vieille Julienne including the fantastic Trois Sources and Hauts Lieux bottlings. We have long been fans of the wines from Vieille Julienne where 5th generation owner and winemaker Jean-Paul Daumen has propelled this estate into the elite of both Chateauneuf and the Rhone Valley. The reviews for the featured wines reflect the quality of the estate, the winemaking and the excellent vintages we were able to acquire.
Critics such as the Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator and Jeb Dunnuck heaped high praise on these wines. Each has a score of at least 95 Points and some top out at 98 Points. Make no mistake, these are world class highly collectible and age able wines which would be a welcome addition in any serious collector's cellar.
Farming Biodynamically, Daumen refuses to use herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers and chemical products. He uses indigenous yeasts only and his wines certainly reflect the purity of his approach.
Trois Sources is made from three vineyards located on the north side of the Mont Redon plateau. The soils are comprised primarily of sand and interestingly each of these vineyards has its own natural spring. The combination of soil, orientation to the sun and the influence of the Mistral winds allow these wines to find perfectly balanced ripeness with many layers of complexity.
These wines from Vieille Julienne are delicious examples of what Chateauneuf du Pape can offer and would make excellent additions to your cellar. We are thrilled to offer all of these wines at the lowest prices in the country.
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "What will easily be one of the top wines in the vintage, the 2015 Châteauneuf du Pape Les Trois Source is the finest example of this cuvée I’ve tasted. Just massively concentrated and voluptuous, with a huge mid-palate and sweet tannin, it has off the hook notes of black licorice, roasted herbs, black raspberries, blueberries and crushed flowers. While this is a seriously big wine, everything is perfectly balanced, it has no hard edges and a finish that won’t quit. It too will have 20-25 years of longevity."