- Item #: i_352650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape checks in as 75% Grenache, 11% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance Cinsault, Vaccarèse, and Counoise. It was 60% destemmed and brought up in a mix of foudre and concrete tanks. It's a smoking good base cuvée that offers perfumed black raspberries, violets, sweet spice, and exotic pepper aromas and flavors. Rich, medium to full-bodied, packed with fruit, balanced, and lengthy, drink this seductive, sexy 2017 over the coming 10-15 years. 92+"
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Tradition is a top effort for an entry-level wine. Bottled in March, it features peppery notes, dried spices and ripe cherries on the nose. Full-bodied, rich and velvety, it finishes long and intense, adding hints of salted licorice. It should drink well for at least a decade."
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_351379Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96ROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS: “The 2015 Chateauneuf du Pape Urgonien is a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre, from 1.14 hectares planted on limestone-based soils. Rose petals and cherries fill the nose, while the full-bodied palate delivers fresh fruit, hints of dried spices—allspice, clove, anise—and a rich, supple texture. Although it weighs in at 15.2% alcohol, it doesn't show any warmth on the palate or finish. Bravo!”
- Item #: i_351987Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS: "I always love the wines of this estate, and unquestionably the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is the finest vintage of this cuvée to date. About as classic as it gets, with tons of cedarwood, white pepper, kirsch, and blackberry fruits, it smells like a classic southern France street market. Full-bodied, powerful, and concentrated, with the purity of fruit that makes this vintage so special, it’s a blockbuster wine that’s already approachable yet will keep for 15+ years."
- Item #: i_351169Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 93 - 96 POINTS - "Made from close to 100% Grenache and all from sandstone soils, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Safres offers more framboise, strawberry and kirsch-like notes to go with a full-bodied, layered style on the palate. Ripe, textured, and incredibly sexy, yet with building tannin (it’s more structured than the traditional cuvée), it's going to just sing on release, yet keep for 15+ years of more. Clos du Caillou, under the helm of the Vacheron family, with Bruno Gaspard as winemaker and Philippe Cambie as consultant, continues to release a bevy of brilliant Côtes du Rhônes and Châteauneuf du Papes. As I wrote last year, the style has shifted slightly towards the more elegant side of the spectrum and apparent with the 2015s, which at times had me wishing for slightly more density and breadth, especially with the top cuvees. Nevertheless, the wines are brilliant and the 2015 vintage as a whole is a more streamlined, elegant vintage. The 2016s appear to be a return to wines with more oomph, density, and depth, and I think are a clear step up.
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Safres delivers crisply defined cherry fruit, a richly tannic mid-palate and a long, focused, velvety finish. It looks likely to need a bit of cellaring but to be capable of aging up to two decades. This substantial estate totals 60 hectares in total, although only nine lie within Châteauneuf-du-Pape, concentrated in the sandier soils of the appellation's northeastern sector. On my visit, it was great to meet the young Marilou Vacheron, back to join the family estate after five years of business school, and the longtime (since 2002) winemaker Bruno Gaspard. The vineyards have been certified organic."
- Item #: i_352779Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As always, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes has a touch more dark fruits, more concentration, and more structure, which makes it less approachable but more age-worthy. Blackcurrants, ground pepper, bouquet garni, crushed rocks, and garrigue notes all emerge from this structured, focused, yet ripe and beautifully textured Châteauneuf Du Pape that's going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes starts off with scents of tapenade, then adds ripe cherries and cola notes. Dark and concentrated, it's full-bodied and open-knit, perhaps a bit coarser than the elegant 2016, with a touch of chocolate on the long finish. The Grenache in this cuvée was planted in 1905, making this a relative value among old-vine offerings."
- Item #: i_322198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "Sourced from 60-year-old vines and aged in 15% to 20% new oak, the 2016 Saint Joseph l'Olivaie offers a concentrated mouthful of black olive and cherry fruit, a velvety texture and a long, cool finish. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink well on release and for up to decade. Young Jerôme Coursodon now farms 16 hectares in Saint Joseph, centered around Mauves, just outside Tournon. He considers the 2016s more approachable than the dense 2015s."
JEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS: "Leading off the 2016s from barrel, the 2016 Saint Joseph L'Olivaie comes from the lieu-dit of the same name and vines averaging 60 years in age. It’s a ripe, concentrated beauty that's loaded with notions of black raspberries, scorched earth, spice and pepper. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe, present tannin and a great finish, it's going to be a great value. I continue to love the wines from the young Jerome Coursodon, who pulls from roughly 16 hectares of vines all in the southern part of Saint Joseph, mostly just outside the village of Mauves. The 2015s are monster, blockbuster styled efforts that I suspect won’t appeal to the traditionalists out there, but are singular wines. The 2016s are more elegant and finesse-driven, yet still pack in more sweet fruit than just about everyone else out there."
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_351806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 Points"If you don't know about Domaine Giraud, you're missing out." - Jeb Dunnuck
"Savvy consumers should search them out" - Wine Advocate
"This is the greatest young vintage from the Southern Rhone Valley I've ever tasted, both in terms of quality as well as consistency" - Jeb Dunnuck
We are thrilled to offer an amazing Chateauneuf du Pape from Domaine Giraud. Domaine Giraud is one of the brightest stars of this famous appellation and produced some of the greatest wines in the world from the 2016 vintage. They are surprisingly accessible in their youth yet have the ability to age as well. These high scoring, delicious Rhone wines are full-bodied and deeply fruited. They display a stunning level of purity and incredible balance that set them apart.
The winemaking sister and brother team of Marie and Francois Giraud have been farming organically since 2008 after taking over the day to day operation of the winery from their father. Famed enologist Philippe Cambie consults for the winery, which boast incredible vineyard holdings.
The Domaine Giraud "Tradition" is comprised of 60% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 5% Mourvedre with the grapes averaging close to 70 years of age. This is a fantastic wine at an outstanding price with noted Rhone critic Jeb Dunnuck urging, "Buy a case of this, trust me."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the base 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a blockbuster, and this is one of those cases where you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of the special cuvées when this wine is so good. Maire describes the 2016 vintage as a mix of the 2010 and 2007 vintages, and I can’t disagree. This beautiful 2016 offers a terrific nose of black raspberries, garrigue, and peppered meat in a full-bodied, ripe, incredibly sexy, seamless style. It has a boatload of tannins, and despite its intensity and richness, is still elegant and seamless. Buy a case of this, trust me."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Enticing, with bright, engaging raspberry, cherry and red currant fruit infused with gently roasted sandalwood and apple wood, garrigue and licorice root notes. A swath of tobacco underscores the finish, giving this an old-school hint."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_333406Bottle Size: 750MLRhone legends Jean-Pierre Monier and Phillipe Perreol combined forces nearly a decade ago to meet market demand for their sought-after Northern Rhone cuvées, creating pure, soil-driven, wines from biodynamically farmed fruit. The 2016 ‘Chatelet’ oozes with notes of dark berries, pepper, and red flowers, with herbal undertones and stony minerality. Balanced and textured; stunning!
- Item #: i_333908Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 92 Points"Unquestionably one of the reference point estates, not only for Gigondas, but for the entire Southern Rhone" - Jeb Dunnuck
"Louis Barruol remains the acknowledged leader of the Gigondas AOC. The vigneron keeps Chateau de St.-Cosme operating on the highest level" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
"These single vineyard releases are year in, year out, some of the most impressive wines from the Rhone valley." - Wine Advocate
We just received a limited allocation from the iconic Rhone producer, Chateau de Saint Cosme. These critically acclaimed wines consistently receive high praise and scores from wine critics. The Wine Advocate, Jeb Dunnuck and Decanter Magazine all weighed in on these amazing wines from the excellent 2016 vintage.
Chateau de Saint Cosme is the leading estate of Gigondas and produces the benchmark wines of the appellation. The property has been in the hands of the Barruol family since 1570. Louis Barruol took over from his father in 1992 making a dramatic shift to quality and converting to biodynamics in 2010.
Barruol makes a classic Gigondas as well as three amazing single vineyard releases from the estate which lies in the heart of Gigondas. The vineyards grow in the shade of the Dentelles de Montmirail Mountains and benefited from the ideal 2016 vintage which boasted warm, dry days balanced by cool nights. The wines are not destemmed and are aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels." These wines are singular and the depth of flavor of these cuvees are truly something to behold.
These are world-class wines and this is a great opportunity to grab a few bottles for the cellar. The highly desirable wines from Saint Cosme are very limited. When they're gone, they're gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS - "Looking first at the base 2016 Gigondas, it’s certainly going to be another outstanding wine from Barruol. Based on 70% Grenache and the rest close to an even split of Syrah and Mourvèdre, it offers classic St Cosme notes of dark fruits, tapenade, pepper and smoked earth. It has plenty of tannin and will need 2-3 years of cellaring and shine for a decade or more. Louis Barruol’s Chateau de Saint Cosme is unquestionably one of the reference point estates in Gigondas, as well as the entire southern Rhône Valley. The estate lies just to the east of the village and covers 25 hectares, with 15 of those in Gigondas. He makes a classic Gigondas as well as four single vine releases from single vineyards located around the estate. The wines are not destemmed and aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Even Saint Cosme's 2016 Gigondas looks built to age. It's full-bodied and firmly tannic but balanced by ripe fruit notes of cherries, peaches and chocolate. (JC) It is always fun to taste with the energetic Louis Barruol in his Roman-era cellar. There seems to be a nearly endless supply of wines to taste, as he now produces five different Gigondas and numerous bottlings under his négociant label."
- Item #: i_350309Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS "All the 2017s from this estate are brilliant wines, and the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape should be purchased by the case. It offers a ripe, sexy style as well as complex notes of ripe red and black currants, graphite, melted licorice, and incense. With ripe tannins and a layered, elegant texture, it’s a terrific example of the style of the vintage and will keep for 10-15 years."