- Item #: i_350625Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 98-99Decanter: 97JAMES SUCKLING 98-99 POINTS - "Plenty of sexy graphite and dark stony aromas cast across showy dark fruits seen here, all presented in a vibrant and seductive form. Plenty of spices and fragrant lift, too. The palate is astonishingly rich, layered and seamlessly complete. The tannins are dense, compressed and commanding, whereas the tension is entrancing. Flavors run from red to darker fruits. The finish is already long and majestic. Exceptional wine"
DECANTER 97 POINTS - "Low yields of just 27hl/ha this year due to coulure, instead of a more normal 37hl/ha - so there might be no 2017 Renaissance produced. A tasting of the main constituent parts from barrel suggests a potent, ripe, tannic style. The young Reynards is rich in fruit with good acidity, if high in alcohol; Sabarotte is resolutely Cornas: impenetrable, resinous, firm and saline; Petit Côte and La Côte are fleshy and rich; the older Reynards admirably complete, with a massive, ripe tannic load. Pierre compares it to the 2009, albeit more structured. You'll need to keep this for a while, but it will be rewarding when finally ready."
- Item #: i_353207Bottle Size: 1.5LWINERY NOTES - Since the 2004 vintage, we have expanded our work with the Levet family to include a second bottling of Cote Rotie known as “Les Journaries”, a cuvée drawn from grapes harvested from old vines in the “La Landonne” lieu-dit. This wine is more subtle, more elegant and “quieter” if you will than the “Chavaroche”. At the same time, it is very much a Levet wine with a bouquet of violets, wild berries, a touch of animal and resinous-like tannins that speak of the inclusion of stems (a hallmark of the Levet tradition). The “Journaries” is approachable at an earlier stage than its companion “La Chavaroche” but, that being said, it is a wine that not only ages gracefully but almost requires a touch of patience. We now import approximately 1500 bottles plus magnums of this cuvée each vintage.
- Item #: i_350566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 96-97James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "More closed, yet still loaded with potential, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Reserve offers a tight, reserved bouquet of cassis and blackberry fruits intermixed with ample spice box, mineral, and meaty notes developing with time in the glass. Full-bodied, concentrated, and straight on the palate, it has beautiful depth and richness, yet needs 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Hints of cedar and vanilla from aging in 20% new demi-muids accent ripe black cherries in this full-bodied, silky-textured but concentrated wine that once again manages to combine richness with airiness, power with elegance and features a finish that lingers while being refreshing at the same time. It's still a major-league contender for wine of the vintage."
VINOUS 96 - 97 POINTS
DECANTER 96 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_333944Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape La Combe des Fous is full-bodied, rich and velvety, yet it also possesses more freshness and concentrated berry fruit than the Vieilles Vignes bottling. An absolute beauty of a beast, it delivers ripe raspberries and cherries, a gentle dusting of Asian spice and a long, long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape La Combe Des Fous checks in as a normal blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and the rest Vaccarèse and Cinsault, raised in tank and demi-muids. Kirsch liqueur, white flowers, graphite, ground pepper, and obvious minerality all emerge from this ethereal yet powerful, concentrated 2017. It's very much in the more Provençal, elegant style of this vintage, yet has classic Clos Saint Jean purity, style, and power. It's a gorgeous wine."
- Item #: i_353205Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 98ROBERT PARKER 98 POINTS: "With its more discreet oak and layers of complexity, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Deus Ex Machina is my favorite release here this year. Layers of dried spices accent raspberries and cherries in this full-bodied, rich and velvety wine. It's more complex and complete than either the Combe des Fous or the Sancto Santorum, longer on the finish and supremely elegant."
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Deus-Ex Machina (60/40 Grenache and Mourvèdre) shows more classic Mourvèdre notes, with blackcurrants, Asian spices, crushed violets, cured meats, and graphite all giving way to a power packed, opulent, hedonistic 2017 that does everything right. Incredible depth of fruit, building tannins, no hard edges, and a finish to die for are all part of the package."
- Item #: i_352231Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96Decanter: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 96DECANTER 98 POINTS - "A tasting of five different barrels, drawn from 24 blocks across 19 lieux-dits, mostly schist terroirs in Ampuis and St-Cyr. It's almost 100% whole bunch in 2017, with a minimal 15% of new oak used. Gerine is ripe and harmonious, with intense, sappy fruits and muscular tannins. Fongeant is sleek, dark and elegant. Le Plomb/Le Truchet takes tannin from the first site, acidity from the second and displays a soaring fragrance of burnt herbs. Tartaras/Bonnivières/top of Fongeant has incredible freshness and tight, fine tannins. Lastly, La Landonne, Côte Blonde, Moutonne and Côte Rozier has intense, tight, saline tannins and juniper and liquorice-tinged dark fruits. The overall impression is a powerful, ripe, structured and very fresh Côte-Rôtie, very well balanced with bright acidity, that will age impressively."
VINOUS 96 POINTS - "Inky, bright-rimmed ruby. Sexy, mineral-accented aromas of ripe black and blue fruits, candied flowers, olive paste and exotic spices show outstanding clarity and lift. Sweet, pliant and energetic on the palate, offering deeply concentrated raspberry, cherry, cassis and floral pastille flavors that show surprising energy for their heft. A smoky mineral nuance drives the extremely long, youthfully tannic finish, which leaves behind a sexy floral note. All whole clusters. Drinking window: 2025 - 2035."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - " Just bottled, literally, the day before my visit, the 2017 Côte Rôtie nevertheless showed incredibly well, with loads of violets, pepper, game, framboise, and darker fruits. As Côte Rôtie as Côte Rôtie gets, this full-bodied beauty has ultra-fine tannins, intoxicating complexity and nuance, no hard edges, and a great finish. Give it 4-5 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following 20 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cote Rotie was still in separate lots when I visited, yet I came away with remarkably similar impressions from the Gerine (fragrant charming and silky) and le Plomb (taut, intense and structural) as I did last year. A number of other lots will go into the final assemblage (Chavaroche, Fongeant, Lezardes and several more, probably including La Landonne). There's more cracked pepper and violets on the nose of the 2017 than the 2018 and also a touch more crispness and tension on the palate."
- Item #: i_353262Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Reminding me of the 2009 La Chapelle (which is a personal favorite), the brilliant 2017 Hermitage La Chapelle knocks it out of the park with its massive, opulent personality. Notes of smoked black fruits, scorched earth, burning embers, and graphite as well as subtle background meatiness flow to a monster of a Hermitage that has full-bodied richness, incredible depth of fruit, and an overwhelming, sexy style that’s already impossible to resist. Do your best to hide bottles for 4-5 years, but it’s going to evolve for 40 years or more. There are roughly 2,000 cases of this elixir, and every Syrah lover out there should have a bottle (or more) in their cellar."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2017 Hermitage La Chapelle comes from the firm's vineyards on the western half of the Hermitage slope, primarily Le Méal, but with substantial contributions from Les Rocoules and Les Bessards. Classic notes of cassis, black olives, mocha and roasted meat are joined by hints of baking spices in a wine that's full-bodied, deep, dense and rich, with a velvety texture and a lingering finish. It's lower in alcohol than the 2018, less voluptuous and maybe just a step behind that monumental wine, but it's still a serious collectible with three decades of evolution ahead of it."
- Item #: i_350466Bottle Size: 750ml"Unquestionably one of the reference point estates, not only for Gigondas, but for the entire Southern Rhone" - Jeb Dunnuck
"Louis Barruol remains the acknowledged leader of the Gigondas AOC. The vigneron keeps Chateau de St.-Cosme operating on the highest level" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
"These single vineyard releases are year in, year out, some of the most impressive wines from the Rhone valley." - Wine Advocate
We just received a limited allocation from the iconic Rhone producer, Chateau de Saint Cosme. These critically acclaimed wines consistently receive high praise and scores from wine critics. The Wine Advocate, Jeb Dunnuck and Decanter Magazine all weighed in on these amazing wines from the excellent 2016 vintage.
Chateau de Saint Cosme is the leading estate of Gigondas and produces the benchmark wines of the appellation. The property has been in the hands of the Barruol family since 1570. Louis Barruol took over from his father in 1992 making a dramatic shift to quality and converting to biodynamics in 2010.
Barruol makes a classic Gigondas as well as three amazing single vineyard releases from the estate which lies in the heart of Gigondas. The vineyards grow in the shade of the Dentelles de Montmirail Mountains and benefited from the ideal 2016 vintage which boasted warm, dry days balanced by cool nights. The wines are not destemmed and are aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels." These wines are singular and the depth of flavor of these cuvees are truly something to behold.
These are world-class wines and this is a great opportunity to grab a few bottles for the cellar. The highly desirable wines from Saint Cosme are very limited. When they're gone, they're gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "Coming from Barruol’s favorite vineyard located on just up the hill from the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Poste is another huge wine, and probably the richness, ripest example of this cuvee I’ve tasted. Possessing almost overflowing amounts of blackberry fruits, graphite, spring flowers and huge minerality, it offers awesome purity, full-bodied richness, and a great, great finish. I can’t wait to taste this from bottle. Louis Barruol’s Chateau de Saint Cosme is unquestionably one of the reference point estates in Gigondas, as well as the entire southern Rhône Valley. The estate lies just to the east of the village and covers 25 hectares, with 15 of those in Gigondas. He makes a classic Gigondas as well as four single vine releases from single vineyards located around the estate. The wines are not destemmed and aged mostly in older barrels, with a small portion in new barrels. "
eROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS - "The 2015 Gigondas le Poste is a classic expression of this vineyard and shows the more elegant, perfumed style that always comes from this site. Violets, flowers, raspberries, blueberries and green herbs all emerge from this full-bodied, lengthy and impeccably balanced Gigondas that has ultra-fine tannin and perfectly integrated acidity. Brought up just like the other two single vineyard releases, this beauty will be more accessible in its youth, yet I suspect it will age just as long."
- Item #: i_353791Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "My wine of the vintage is the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Reserve, which is in the same league as the other greats from this estate including the 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010, and 2016. Revealing a deep purple color as well as a massive bouquet of crème de cassis, violets, graphite, black licorice, and hints of pepper garrigue, it hits the palate with a massive array of fruit, full-bodied richness, no hard edges, and enough sweet tannins to warrant another 5-7 years of bottle age. Based all on very old vine Grenache from sandy soils just across the street from the domaine (the Trois Source has a large portion of its blend from a similar terroir), brought up all in foudre, it’s a singular, heavenly wine from Jean-Paul Daumen that’s going to go down as one of the greats from Châteauneuf du Pape."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "