- Item #: i_350312Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93 + POINTS: "The 2016 Lirac Domaine du Clos de Sixte is a terrific wine, easily the rival to many Châteauneufs from across the river, starting with its alluring aromas of flowering garrigue and ripe cherries. A blend of 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 15% Mourvèdre, this full-bodied wine is lush and concentrated on the palate, then turns velvety on the long finish. I'd treat it like a Châteauneuf du Pape in terms of cellaring: hold it for a few years, then drink it over the next 15. - Joe Czerwinski" - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (Issue 233, October 2017), 93+ pts
Alain Jaume Domaine du Clos de Sixte Lirac is made from 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre
- Item #: i_351780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Located at the foot of the village of Rasteau between the towns of Orange and Vaison-la-Romaine, Domaine Beau Mistral is comprised of 28 hectares (70 acres) covering several appellations from the southern Rhône Valley and is rightly situated next to such famous crus from the region such as Châteauneuf du Pape and Gigondas.
After being passed through destemming machine, the grapes are added to tanks where the temperature is closely monitored throughout the fermentation, which lasts several weeks. Pumping-over and some gentle punching-down take place in order to preserve the wine’s fruit and suppleness.
Ageing: 100% in tank.
Food pairing: This wine pairs exceptionally well with red meats and dishes such as roasted veal with morel mushrooms, herb-crusted ribs and cheeses.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "With its complex aromas of spice and red fruit, the 2016 Cairanne Les Garrigues is a knockout. Plus, it's medium to full-bodied, plump and succulent, with supple tannins and terrific freshness. It never seems heavy or alcoholic. Drink now to 2025."
- Item #: i_353278Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 97WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "A prodigious effort, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Hautes Brusquieres Cuvee Speciale was yet to be bottled during my June visit. It offers up sweet floral aromas, hints of thyme and rosemary and bold cherry fruit. Full-bodied and creamy-velvety in texture, it's a hugely seductive mouthful of wine that I found difficult to spit. If it emerges from the bottling process looking like this, buyers will have huge smiles on their faces."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "Blackberries, crushed rocks, peppery herbs, and graphite notes all emerge from the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Hautes Brusquières, the most concentrated, rich, and opulent in the lineup. It has brilliant purity of fruit, ripe, polished tannins, and a great, great finish, all making for a brilliant 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape that will keep for 15+ years."
- Item #: i_353902Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 97-99JEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "Brought up in new demi-muids, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes is a blend of 90% Grenache and 10% Mourvèdre (the Mourvèdre is from the Cristia lieu-dit). Unquestionably the greatest vintage of this cuvée ever made, this crazy good 2016 knocks it out of the park with its huge nose of currants, seaweed, incense, garrigue, and chocolate. Just a massive, deep, powerful wine, with sweet tannin and remarkable purity, it’s going to flirt with perfection and keep for 20-25 years. Bravo to the Maret family as well as consultant Philippe Cambie!"
WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Turning to the darker side of the fruit spectrum, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Vieilles Vignes veers toward black cherries, cola and spice. It's full-bodied, rich and velvety, but it takes a different tack than the more open and charming Les Hautes Brusquières bottling. It should drink well for close to two decades. They're the twins you might've fantasized about, one bright and bubbly, the other brooding and mysterious. And you can have both."
- Item #: i_321295Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Also not yet bottled the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Felix offers a similar level of concentration, yet is more tight, structured, and elegant. Currants, scorched earth, leather, and ground pepper notes give way to a full-bodied, powerful, concentrated 2016 that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring yet cruise for two decades. This cuvée is 65% Grenache, 25% Mourvèdre, and the rest a mix of varieties, all aged in very old barrels."
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_354232Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Wine Spectator: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97+ POINTS - "The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape L'Avenue is all Grenache sourced from a single parcel near the estate and aged 18 months in demi-muids. This deeply colored beauty boasts a huge perfume of black raspberries, blackberries, dried flowers, bouquet garni, and sandy/loamy soil notes. With a powerful, concentrated, structured style, incredible purity of fruit, and tons of tannin on the finish, hide bottles for 3-5 years, count yourself lucky, and enjoy over the following decade or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape l'Avenue is entirely Grenache from the lieu-dit Vaudieu, aged in demi-muids. Loaded with black cherries, cedar and vanilla, it's a full-bodied, plush sexpot of a wine. Velvety, intense, long and layered, this wine has it all. If only there were more than 350 cases of this elixir."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Intense, with a gorgeous core of crushed plum, boysenberry and blackberry pâte de fruit flavors, inlaid liberally with fruit cake, licorice snap and graphite notes. Fruit pumps through the finish while a graphite edge lends support and a black tea hint checks in."
- Item #: i_311270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 94Decanter: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS -"This has a very plush, luscious and generously fleshy feel. Cherry compote, raspberries, blackberries and plums. Tarry elements, too. Smooth, velvety, pure and even. Succulence, elegance and clarity. Such value here. Drink or hold."
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cotes du Rhone Coudoulet de Beaucastel was bottled just two weeks before my visit, hence the plus sign attached to its rating. Planted just outside the boundaries of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation, the vines here average 80 years old. Mouthwatering aromas of red fruit and spice lead the way, backed by a full-bodied wine that's creamy and lush but also silky and vibrant. As always, it's one of the best Côtes du Rhône wines from a given vintage... Certainly, the wines are breathtaking at the upper levels, but the Perrin family continues to put effort into the entry-level wines as well, from the Coudelet de Beaucastel, which is always one of the top Côtes du Rhône wines, to the other wines reviewed under the Famille Perrin heading. 92+ points."
- Item #: i_333501Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 95We're excited to be able to offer one of our customer's favorite wines at great price! We sell cases upon cases of Dave Phinney's delicious wines from around the world, but now is a great time to stock up on the newly arrived 2016 vintage of D66. This is a hedonistic 95 Point wine Jeb Dunnuck calls a "bonafide blockbuster" which is "rich, opulent and decadent." We couldn't say it any better.
D66 is a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah which displays great depth and concentration. This crowd-pleasing wine dials up the intensity and boasts a round, rich texture with supple tannins and ripe blueberry, blackberry and kirsch flavors which are deeply satisfying.
D66 comes from the brilliant mind of Dave Phinney who is the creative genius behind the Orin Swift wines. Phinney has developed an almost cult-like following with his string of successes, which began with "The Prisoner" red blend. Although this put him on the map, Phinney has continued to create highly sought after labels such as Mercury Head, Palermo, Papillon, Abstract and Machete. The secret to his success lies in his ability to make bold and juicy wines, which have silky smooth tannins and are approachable upon release.
More recently, Phinney has focused his efforts on making wines in the Roussillon region of France. This region in the Southwest corner of France lies within Department 66, which serves as the inspiration and namesake for the winery and his vineyards in the town of Maury.
When Phinney first gazed upon these old vine vineyards, he couldn't believe his eyes. In his words, "When I awoke, what I saw was insane. I looked out my bedroom window and saw one of the steepest, oldest vineyards I had ever laid eyes on. I was in - hook, line and sinker. If this is what I could see from my bedroom, what else was out there? They were, perhaps the most amazing confluence of vineyards I've ever been exposed to."
He immediately set out to explore the area and purchased some terrific vineyards, which are the source of the grapes for this wine. As they say, the rest is history. Today, these wines are better than ever, boasting a refinement of flavor and texture that is seriously pleasing. This full-bodied, rich and lushly palated wine will satisfy those who enjoy Dave Phinney's other wines as it is definitely made in his "house style."
Fans of David Phinney and Orin Swift will be very pleased with this blockbuster, which has to be one of our greatest values in the store. Enjoy!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Cotes Catalanes D66 is a bonafide blockbuster from winemaker Richard Case that does everything right. Loaded with notions of ripe blackberry and currant fruits, chocolate, ground pepper, licorice, and leafy herbs, this puppy hits the palate with full-bodied richness and depth yet stays nicely balanced and light on its feet. Rich, opulent, and decadent are the buzzwords here, and it should keep for 7-8 years. The blend is 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah aged 12 months in barrel."
- Item #: i_353081Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "One of the finest releases from not only this appellation but the entire Southern Rhône, the 2016 Lirac La Reine Des Bois is a unique blend of close to equal parts Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre that’s brought up in 30% used barrels, the balance in stainless steel. It literally jumps from the glass with loads of blackberry and currant fruits, graphite, charred meats, and peppery herbs. Deeply colored, medium to full-bodied, with sensational purity, give bottles a year or two and enjoy through 2028. It’s another brilliant wine from this estate that’s landed on both feet after the passing of winemaker Christophe Delorme in 2015."
- Item #: i_351917Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Châteauneuf-du-Pape from bottle, the 2016 vintage was described as having the power of 2010 and similar to yet fresher than 2007. The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a great bouquet of black raspberries, tapenade, crushed violets, and spring flowers, and shares lots of similarities to the Chaupin cuvée (and it’s less expensive!). Full-bodied, incredibly elegant and seamless, it might be the finest traditional cuvée ever produced from this estate."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape exhibits more dark fruit than I would've expected, with black cherries, black olives and tar all mingling on the nose. In the mouth, the blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Cinsault is full-bodied, rich and velvety, with a lush, lingering finish. Easy to drink now, it should age for at least a decade just on its sheer concentration and ripeness. Although I showed up considerably late for my appointment with the brother-sister team of Christophe and Isabelle Sabon, Christophe wore his customary, irrepressible smile. The French soccer team was ahead in their World Cup match, and he was showing off the domaine's stellar 2016s. "It's my father's 50th harvest," he said. "And he thinks it's the best. It's incredible because you have power, finesse and acidity."
- Item #: i_354212Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 90WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This buoyant red wine is marked by aromas of ripe blackberries, blueberries and anise. It's full bodied and plump but balanced by crisp acidity and a firm, tannic finish. An easy-drinking but classic Côtes du Rhône, it has just a hint of mineral intensity. Enjoy now–2021." #4 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Best Buys of 2018
- Item #: i_351565Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Decanter: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The flagship is the Grenache-dominated 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Imperiale, which comes from vines planted in 1902 and was destemmed and aged in concrete tanks. Awesome notes of blackberries, blueberries, crushed rocks, violets, and graphite all emerge from this tight, full-bodied, concentrated and backward Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Possessing incredible purity of fruit, a concentrated yet fresh, structured profile, and a huge finish, it just needs time to shine. 97+"
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Almost entirely Grenache, from parcels planted in 1901 and 1902, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Imperiale is a stunner. Scents of roses, black tea and raspberries set the scene, while the palate is full-bodied but silky and nearly weightless, delivering an intricate, detailed interplay of red fruit, dried spices and orange zest. Despite what must be 15% alcohol or more, it shows absolutely no sign of heat."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "This has a distinct old-vine vinosity on the nose. Very full-bodied, searching and intense on the palate, shot through with ample, very ripe suede-like tannins. Powerful, regal stuff, albeit with slightly raised alcohol, but the overall effect is in balance, with a long finish. Restrained power."
- Item #: i_353643Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED-NO SULFUR ADDED
This beautiful Cairanne has a magical bouqet of strawberries. Very soft and easy drinking.
- Item #: i_353220Bottle Size: 750mlThe Saouma’s purchased a desolate plot of land in Orange in 2011. A minimal intervention approach combined with the image of the original barren land inspired the name of the wine, INOPIA, which translates to “made from nothing” in Latin. Rotem & Mounir’s white wines are breathtaking and the Côtes du Rhône Villages Blanc is no exception, following the similar philosophy of exceptional terroir paired with high quality, low yielding fruit that remains undisturbed for 18 months after fermentation with the resulting wine bottled unfiltered and unfined. The blend is mostly Grenache Blanc, along with a touch of Roussanne, Marsanne, Bourboulenc, Clairette and Viognier grapes. Intensely perfumed and vibrant nose of citrus, flowers and an almost salty note. The palate continues with the intensity of flavours and structure and with a beautifully balanced freshness.
- Item #: i_353282Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94-96James Suckling: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS: "The tiny production 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Spéciale is Grenache dominated and comes from 100-year-old vines planted in the sandy portions of the famed la Crau lieu-dit. It looks to be one of the stars in the vintage. Blackberries, pepper, violets, and earth all emerge from this full-bodied, massively concentrated, Grenache that has sweet tannin, no hard edges and the opulence and purity of this sensational vintage."
VINOUS 94-96 POINTS: "Bright violet. Expansive aromas of red and blue fruit preserves, exotic spices and incense develop a sexy potpourri element with air. Broad, seamless and deep in the mouth, offering intense black raspberry, cherry liqueur and spicecake flavors braced and sharpened by a core of juicy acidity. The floral note comes back steadily as the wine opens in the glass and carries through a sweet, strikingly long, subtly tannic finish that shows outstanding clarity."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS: "The old-vine soul is compelling here with blue-fruit aromas and flavors. Some nuances of iodine and black, inky character, too. Long, suave and powerful tannins make for a compelling, intense and impressive Châteauneuf."
- Item #: i_353287Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS: "The 2016 Rasteau Vieilles Vignes was one of my favorites in the lineup and this beauty has everything you could want from this appellation. Chocolate, black fruits, espresso and graphite aromas give way to a ripe, building, concentrated 2016 that has fabulous purity. It has plenty of tannins as well, but they’re mostly covered by loads of fruit at the moment. Give bottles 2-3 years and enjoy through 2026"
- Item #: i_333758Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 99Vieille Julienne's Jean-Paul Daumen is unquestionably one of the most talented winemakers in all of France" - Jeb Dunnuck
Jean-Paul Daumen continues to make some of the purest wines in the appellation" - James Molesworth, Wine Spectator
The Chateauneuf-du-Papes across the board are monumental wines" - Jeb Dunnuck
We recently had the opportunity to purchase extraordinary Chateauneuf du Pape at very compelling prices. We have long been fans of the wines from Domaine de la Vieille Julienne where 5th generation owner and winemaker Jean-Paul Daumen has propelled this estate into the elite of both Chateauneuf and the Rhone Valley. The reviews for the two wines featured reflect the quality of the estate, the winemaking and the fantastic 2016 vintage.
Jeb Dunnuck gave the Trois Sources blend a score of 98 Points, calling it "straight-up sensational." He awarded Les Haut Lieux 99 Points while enthusiastically stating it is "a true 'wow' wine." The Wine Spectator's James Molesworth is generally more conservative in his scoring yet he was very impressed with the wines and awarded each a score of 96 Points.
Farming Biodynamically, Daumen refuses to use herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers and chemical products. He uses indigenous yeasts only and his wines certainly reflect the purity of his approach.
Les Haut Lieux is a single plot on the highest part of this north-facing hill, just below the famous Mont Redon plateau. Here you find sandy limestone soils covered with a good amount of the galets stones. This site is the last to be picked as it is the highest in elevation and includes a good dose of the late-ripening, Mouvedre. This wine has more structure and is certainly capable of cellaring.
We are thrilled to offer this wine at the lowest prices in the country.
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "A true 'wow' wine, the deep, concentrated 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Hauts-Lieux (there's 20% Mourvèdre) offers awesome notes of blackcurrants, smoked meats, graphite, crushed rocks, and licorice. Extraordinarily concentrated, perfectly balanced, structured, and long, it's another sensational wine from this estate. It needs 4-5 years of bottle age and will cruise for 15-20 after that."
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Intense, featuring a hefty core of dark currant, fig and blackberry confiture flavors, meshed with bittersweet cocoa, smoldering tobacco and warm earth notes. Tarry grip supports the finish, while a mouthwatering garrigue streak drives through. Grenache, Mourvèdre and Cinsault. Best from 2022 through 2040."