- Item #: i_345657Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine de l'Espigouette Vacqueyras is made from mostly Grenache, with some Syrah and Mourvèdre blended in. This instantly grabs your attentions with attractive aromas of blackberry, crushed stone, lavender, and dried herbs, along with hints of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and incense. On the palate this possesses a round, velvety texture, laced with bright red and black fruits, which continue to expand onto the finish.
- Item #: i_351447Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - ""The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is a blend of 85% Grenache, 10% Mourvèdre and 5% Syrah, aged predominantly in concrete and foudre. Biodynamically farmed and traditionally made, it reached 15.5% alcohol, which shows a bit in the wine's size and slight warmth. It's full-bodied, rich and velvety, with bold black cherry fruit, hints of clove and cola and a long, savory-spicy finish. I'd opt for drinking it over the next 6-7 years."
- Item #: i_351256Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS: "Impressive, complex array of wild cherries, raspberries, garrigue herbs, lightly spiced pastry and stony, chalky minerals. Super-fresh florals. The palate has superb texture, roundness, completeness, depth and detail. Powerful yet elegant with powdery tannins and essence-like red fruit. Super-fleshy, supple and dense core, then strong at the edges. Layer upon layer peels away on the finish. Resounding finesse and equilibrium, showing the full potential of the plateau La Crau. Drink or hold. (8/2018)
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "Bottled just last week, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a classic, gorgeous bouquet of black raspberries, currants, violets, salty minerality, nori (seaweed wrapper) and licorice. Full-bodied, pure, incredibly elegant, with fine tannin, and a huge finish, this is classic Vieux Télégraphe all the way that has the balance to drink now."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS: "Undoubtedly one of the top vintages of this wine, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape La Crau features classy notes of crushed stones and black tea to go along with ripe raspberries and black cherries. Full-bodied yet silky, there's more power and richness in La Crau than in Piedlong, yet there's commensurate elegance and finesse. The wine grows in intensity on the finish without ever seeming heavy or overripe, instead offering hints of tea and licorice.'
- Item #: i_351806Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 Points"If you don't know about Domaine Giraud, you're missing out." - Jeb Dunnuck
"Savvy consumers should search them out" - Wine Advocate
"This is the greatest young vintage from the Southern Rhone Valley I've ever tasted, both in terms of quality as well as consistency" - Jeb Dunnuck
We are thrilled to offer an amazing Chateauneuf du Pape from Domaine Giraud. Domaine Giraud is one of the brightest stars of this famous appellation and produced some of the greatest wines in the world from the 2016 vintage. They are surprisingly accessible in their youth yet have the ability to age as well. These high scoring, delicious Rhone wines are full-bodied and deeply fruited. They display a stunning level of purity and incredible balance that set them apart.
The winemaking sister and brother team of Marie and Francois Giraud have been farming organically since 2008 after taking over the day to day operation of the winery from their father. Famed enologist Philippe Cambie consults for the winery, which boast incredible vineyard holdings.
The Domaine Giraud "Tradition" is comprised of 60% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 5% Mourvedre with the grapes averaging close to 70 years of age. This is a fantastic wine at an outstanding price with noted Rhone critic Jeb Dunnuck urging, "Buy a case of this, trust me."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the base 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a blockbuster, and this is one of those cases where you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of the special cuvées when this wine is so good. Maire describes the 2016 vintage as a mix of the 2010 and 2007 vintages, and I can’t disagree. This beautiful 2016 offers a terrific nose of black raspberries, garrigue, and peppered meat in a full-bodied, ripe, incredibly sexy, seamless style. It has a boatload of tannins, and despite its intensity and richness, is still elegant and seamless. Buy a case of this, trust me."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Enticing, with bright, engaging raspberry, cherry and red currant fruit infused with gently roasted sandalwood and apple wood, garrigue and licorice root notes. A swath of tobacco underscores the finish, giving this an old-school hint."
- Item #: i_351495Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 90 POINTS - "Spice-accented cherry and dark berry aromas are complemented by suggestions of violet, olive and cracked pepper. Spicy, energetic and sharply focused on the palate, offering bitter cherry and floral pastille flavors that open up slowly with air. Silky tannins frame the finish, which shows firm closing thrust and good persistence."
- Item #: i_351859Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS -"Very fresh and focused, with delicious raspberry and blackberry coulis flavors running through, while mouthwatering anise, bramble and black tea accents fill in. Shows a flash of spice on the finish while the fruit lingers. Drink now through 2026."
- Item #: i_351637Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cornas Confidence is the flagship cuvée of the estate and comes from the La Côte and Tézier lieux-dits in Cornas, both of which are shallow, granitic parcels. It's slightly tighter and more focused compared to the sexier Empreintes and has more cassis and blackberry fruits as well as lots of cedarwood, ground pepper, and earth-like aromatics. This full-bodied, concentrated 2016 has beautiful purity, a ripe, layered texture, and building tannins. It’s a serious 2016 to drink over the coming 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_351639Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The terrific 2016 Saint Joseph Lautaret is concentrated and tannic, one of the few 2016 Saint Josephs I'd recommend for short-term cellaring. It's full-bodied and rich, packed with black olives and black cherries, and finishes long and velvety. Give it a couple of years and drink it over the next decade."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Saint Joseph Lautaret is a richer, medium to full-bodied, ripe Syrah that has tons of classic spiced red and black fruits, licorice, violets, and roasted, peppery herbs. This voluptuous, layered, meaty effort has the charming, fleshy style of the vintage yet still packs some serious oomph and density, and is a rocking wine."
- Item #: i_351638Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Saint Joseph Les Coteaux looks as good from bottle as it did from tank last year. Richly concentrated and velvety, this medium to full-bodied beauty features savory notes of black olive, allspice and clove, backed by supple tannins and a long finish."
- Item #: i_345036Bottle Size: 750MLOctober’s Wine of the Month is a fantastic Rhone blend from a tremendous vintage made by one of France’s great winemaking families. The Perrin family is best known as the proprietors of Chateau de Beaucastel, which is one of the great producers of Chateauneuf du Pape in the Rhone Valley. They are also pioneers in Paso Robles where they partnered with the Haas family to establish Tablas Creek and helped establish this region as a special place for Rhone-style blends. Add the fact that Beaucastel was chosen as Wine Spectator’s Wine of the Year and it’s safe to say the Perrin family knows a thing or two about making great wine.
The Perrins sourced grapes for this outstanding Côtes du Rhône from their premium village vineyards. Grenache is grown in clay/limestone soils adding bright blueberry and Kirsch notes. The Syrah comes from terraced vineyards of Vinsobres which are rich in quartz and marl, bringing a warming blackberry and spice character to the mix. Finally, the Mourvèdre adds plum flavors along with additional complexity and depth.
Famille Perrin’s Cotes du Rhone is a delicious wine and a terrific value, which beautifully expresses the 2015 vintage. The vines produced berries rich in phenolic compounds, expressive aromatics and deep flavors. This is a great everyday wine which is complementary to most any type of food and very enjoyable on its own.
Bright ruby in color with purple reflections. Aromatically expressive with notes of crushed violets, dark raspberries, cherries, blackberry and licorice. On the palate, this wine shows perfectly ripened fruit with Kirsch, blueberry, raspberry and plum and a hint of baking spice. The mouthfeel is generous yet balanced with beautiful, silky tannins. The overall impression is one that is harmonious with a wonderful polished texture, culminating in a surprisingly long finish. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre.
- Item #: i_351569Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90-92 PointsThe march of time continues unabated as spring starts its sublime sojourn toward summer. Warm days may meet some rain and still-chilly nights as Mother Nature sorts her wardrobe, not quite ready for the full warmth of the sun. As always, our palates, plates and pantries reflect the current climes, reflecting and reacting to how the mercury moves. We strive each month to find a wine that matches the mood of the weather as well as the call of the calendar. And this month, we found a crowd-pleasing winner of a wine that will pair with all of the above.
A blend of Grenache and Syrah (50/50), the grapes are sourced from vineyards on the left bank of the Rhône River, grown on alluvial and gravelly soils.
Mixed red and black fruits fill the nose as secondary notes of incense, cedar and forest floor resolve to hints of rose petal, mulberry and a touch of herbal influence. Dark black fruits, black berries and blackcurrant, are balanced by silky tannins. Layers of dark spices and earth uplift the dark fruits as they crest the wave of the finish, slowly receding yet flavorful still. Pair with spring lamb, Easter banquets, hearty stews or hard cheeses. Remember, it's never too early to warm up the grill for summer!
Remember, it's never to early to warm up the grill for summer!
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS -"The 2016 Côtes du Rhône Samorens is a 50/50 split of Grenache and Syrah that’s completely unoaked and brought up all in concrete. Rounded, sexy and even voluptuous, with terrific purity in its black raspberry, violet and incense aromatics, this medium to full-bodied beauty has no hard edges, silky tannin and a great finish."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_311337Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The finest vintage to date is unquestionably the 2016 Gigondas Terrasses de Diable, which is the usual blend of 85% Grenache and the balance Mourvèdre and Cinsault. It offers classic framboise, limestone-like minerality, white flowers, pepper, and Asian spices in its full-bodied, seamless, incredibly pure personality. With no hard edges, ultra-fine tannins, perfect balance, and a great finish, it's a sensational Gigondas to drink over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_351564Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes is up with the crème de la crème of the vintage and in the same league as the perfect 2010. Awesome notes of blackberries, crème de cassis, charred meats, licorice, and violets all soar from the glass. It's powerful, opulent, and structured, with building tannin, a huge mid-palate, and a blockbuster finish, yet it never loses its sense of purity and elegance. It's an incredible achievement from this estate. The blend is 45% Grenache, 45% Mourvèdre, and 10% Syrah, all aged in 55% new French oak."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "A terrific effort, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes is a blend of 50% Grenache, 40% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah. It's dense and rich almost beyond belief, packed with super ripe fruit that comes dangerously close to being chocolaty and fudge-like, yet it retains a sense of balance. Earth, spice and dark fruit notes linger for minutes on the long, tannic finish. Give it at least a couple of years in the cellar, and drink it over the next decade and a half. Tasted twice, with consistent notes."
- Item #: i_350311Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92One of the greatest things about the nearly perfect 2016 vintage in the Rhone Valley is that the quality is not only relegated to the higher priced cuvees. The hype of the vintage is justified and the wines are undeniably pleasing. Case in point is the Grand Veneur Champauvins from the humble Cotes du Rhone appellation. This "Baby Chateauneuf" is an amazing wine displaying persistent, deeply fruited deliciousness that just won't quit!
The Wine Advocate gave this wine 92 Points in its glowing review and said this wine is "Worth buying by the case." Wine Spectator also gave this wine 92 Points and called it, "A terrific value."
Other quotes by the critics include:
"This is the poor person's Chateauneuf du Pape" - Robert Parker
"A big, brash mouthful of fruit...as always, it's a terrific value" - Wine Spectator
"It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Chateauneufs" - Wine Advocate
The consistent theme amongst critics and us here at Hi-Time is this is seriously good juice for under $18.00! It's really easy to understand why. The grapes are sourced from a single vineyard plot known for its quality, which is located just outside the boundary of the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. This means we can enjoy an excellent wine at a fraction of the price of its famous neighbor.
This delicious, crowd-pleasing wine is one to grab by the case to share with friends and family.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Capable of rivaling many wines from neighboring Châteauneuf du Pape, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins (tasted as a tank sample) is a big, brash mouthful of fruit but one that's not without nuance. Hints of licorice, cracked pepper and garrigue all come into play, along with a bit of warmth on the long, mouthwatering finish. Supple tannins make it approachable now, but it should easily drink well for 6 years, if not more. As always, it's a terrific value."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Now that it's in the bottle, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins is looking as good as I predicted last year. It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Châteauneufs. Rich black cherry fruit is joined by complex herb and spice notes, a creamy mid-palate and a lingering finish. Worth buying by the case."
- Item #: i_352301Bottle Size: 750mlGuillaume Gilles is convinced that Cornas is at its best when one follows the most traditional of paths. Like Michel, he eschews the destemmer (in virtually all cases), works his vineyards by hand, ages his wine in old demi-muids and bottles without fining or filtering. His Cornas is as it should be and is exactly as we like it: brawny, sometimes austere, profound, sauvage. He cultivates his vineyards with an organic philosophy and his wines are made using the natural yeasts from his grapes. He produces three wines, two of which are in excruciatingly limited supply.
- Item #: i_351917Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Châteauneuf-du-Pape from bottle, the 2016 vintage was described as having the power of 2010 and similar to yet fresher than 2007. The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a great bouquet of black raspberries, tapenade, crushed violets, and spring flowers, and shares lots of similarities to the Chaupin cuvée (and it’s less expensive!). Full-bodied, incredibly elegant and seamless, it might be the finest traditional cuvée ever produced from this estate."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape exhibits more dark fruit than I would've expected, with black cherries, black olives and tar all mingling on the nose. In the mouth, the blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Cinsault is full-bodied, rich and velvety, with a lush, lingering finish. Easy to drink now, it should age for at least a decade just on its sheer concentration and ripeness. Although I showed up considerably late for my appointment with the brother-sister team of Christophe and Isabelle Sabon, Christophe wore his customary, irrepressible smile. The French soccer team was ahead in their World Cup match, and he was showing off the domaine's stellar 2016s. "It's my father's 50th harvest," he said. "And he thinks it's the best. It's incredible because you have power, finesse and acidity."
- Item #: i_351741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Wine Spectator: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98-100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97-100 POINTS - "Made with close to 50% stems (the highest in a while) and brought up in foudre and demi-muids (20% new), the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin sports deep ruby/purple color as well as sensational notes of kirsch liqueur, black raspberries, crushed flowers, crushed rocks, and incense. Just a huge, rich, unctuous wine, it offers everything you could want from Grenache and is certainly going to challenge the 2007 and 2010 as the greatest expression of this terroir to date. "
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Tasted from a single foudre representing the La Crau Est lieu-dit, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Chaupin comes across as even richer and creamier than the 2015, yet with brighter acids and similar spice. Red fruit lingers, morphing toward chocolate as the finish goes on and on. Christophe Sabon describes the 2015s as well balanced and says, "They're not as intense as '16 or '10, but very interesting." He says he's aiming to achieve balance between power, elegance and ripe tannins. For me, the 2015s fit these criteria well at this estate. He adds, "To keep Grenache alone, you must be on sandy soils." Those, of course, are the basis for the family's Cuvée Chaupin and their new Châteauneuf-du-Pape from Clos Saint Antontin."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Delightful plum, raspberry and blackberry compote flavors form the core, with racy, graphite-edged structure running underneath. Dark anise and tobacco notes check in throughout. The long finish lets the fruit linger."
- Item #: i_350862Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 97Decanter: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 98-100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98-100 POINTS - "Incorporating 8% Mourvèdre, 12% Syrah and 5% other permitted variety, 60% destemmed, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes sports a deep, inky color as well as sensational notes of black currants, smoked meats, earth and crushed rocks. Deep, rich, unctuous and decadent, with huge extract and richness, yet never over the top or overripe, it's a killer wine that's going to flirt with perfection on release."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "This is packed with plum, raspberry and blackberry confiture flavors that are youthfully wound up, while warm stone, anise, bay leaf, garrigue and tar notes fill in throughout. Dense but juicy, with a long, smoldering feel on the finish."
- Item #: i_352240Bottle Size: 750mlPaul Wasserman: “In cask this was all umami on the nose. Incredibly complex and compelling. The kind of nose so great you hate to move on to actually tasting the wine. Tapenade, green peppercorns, tarragon, Szechuan pepper, jus de viande. Like with the Crozes les Habrards, there is a lot of the color green. It actually reminded of a specific dish we make at the farm, the most umami dish we make, the one I have pregnant cravings for. It’s an Italian dish. Rabbit in a sauce that has anchovies, capers, and vinegar. Bottling has closed this up a little, and made it darker. It starts with griotte cherries, and the savory has moved from green to blue-black, to plums and vegemite. It is now closed on the palate too, but it is quiet rather than austere; it has the reserve of a truly great wine built for the ages. You definitely need to give this a two-hour decant to get it back to its life in cask. But it does go back there. Painfully slowly. La Force Tranquille. But when it finally cracks, the finish is superlative. Long, fresh, savory, complex. As the French say: PMG (pour ma gueule); or as the seagulls do: Mine!”
- Item #: i_352241Bottle Size: 750mlAfter winemaking in Australia, New Zealand and Burgundy — where he struck up an ongoing friendship with Ben Leroux at Comte Armand, Jean-Baptiste Souillard worked as an oenologue for Jean-Luc Colombo before starting his own micro-négoce in 2014. For JBS, freshness and digestibility are King. Mirroring the cellar, the winemaking is basic as. Natural ferments, with plenty of whole bunches, neutral oak (old barrique) and delicate extractions are the order of the day. Tasting through the 2016s —deliciously savoury, bunchy wines of complex fragrance and subtleness — it’s clear the Northern Rhône has an outstanding new talent in its midst (and he’s only getting started.
- Item #: i_351254Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS: "Also deeply colored, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Sables de La Crau is 100% Grenache from sandy soils, and it was raised all in demi-muids. With a huge nose of blueberries, crushed flowers, cedarwood, and baking spice, it hits the palate with a full-bodied, silky style, no hard edges, beautiful purity of fruit, and a great, great finish. It's one of the most profound wines I've tasted from this estate."
- Item #: i_352099Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 96 - 99 POINTS - "I was able to taste the 2016 Hermitage from three separate tanks which are blended prior to bottling. All three samples showed brilliant purity of fruit, full body, a forward, seamless, elegant texture, and classic building minerality. This is haute couture at its finest and is pure class that could come from nowhere else. As with most 2016s, it's going to be relatively accessible in its youth, yet this is one Hermitage that's not going to hit maturity for another 8-10 years and will keep for three decades."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A wealth of floras with spiced dark chocolate, peppery notes, graphite, dark stones and grilled meats. There’s a very concentrated core of red and black fruit on the palate, weighing deep into the middle with super fine yet strong tannins wrapping up the wine. There is also enduring red-fruit freshness emerging into the finish. This is a great Hermitage that will deliver incredible age potential and enjoy an esteemed life in bottle. Barrel sample."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 - 98 POINTS - "Still mostly in separate components, the 2016 Hermitage nevertheless looks sensational. Les Beaumes was very pretty and red fruited, with silky tannins (94 - 96). Le Méal was putting itself forward as plush and velvety, with flowers, crushed stone and ripe fruit (95 - 97). A combined sample of les Bessards and l'Hermite showed great, granite-derived structure allied to licorice and cassis."
VINOUS 96 - 98 POINTS - "Jean-Louis Chave showed me this unfinished wine in components. #1) Les Beaume: a gorgeous bouquet evokes red and blue fruit liqueur, incense, Asian spices and smoky minerals. Shows a very suave blend of depth and energy, silky texture and vibrant black raspberry and boysenberry flavors that spread out steadily on the back half. #2) Meal: much more firm and stern than the Les Beaume, showing bitter cherry, licorice and olive character and solid grip. Chewy and focused, but there's a core of appealingly sweet dark fruit as well. Opens up a bit with air, but this is solid and has a serious backbone. #3) Ermite: complex and intensely perfumed, displaying exotic floral and spice notes and powerful, alluringly sweet dark berry character. The floral quality dominates a very long, smooth finish where fine-grained tannins build slowly and in harmony with the dark fruit. #4) Bessards: Succulent and focused, displaying ripe dark fruit liqueur, spicecake and violet pastille qualities energized by vibrant spice and mineral flourishes. Sweet and densely packed yet animated, with superb clarity; a sexy cola nuance emerges on the back half. The mix of depth, power and energy here is textbook Chave, and this bottling will be a must-buy for those who can find and afford it."