- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Mercurey Les Montots is a powerful wine with aromas of dark fruit followed by subtle animal and spicy notes. The palate is rich and elegant. The wine’s distinct acidity lends it a very drinkable quality and evokes fruits of the forest. This wine can be enjoyed after between two and eight years.
Les Montots is situated on fairly steep slope with southern exposure, planted with a selection of Pinot Noir vines from Nuits-Saint-Georges chosen for teir aromatic qualities and moderate yield. Les Montots is a Mercurey of its own kind, structured and viforous, deep with a dark ruby color.
- Item #: i_345447Bottle Size: 750MLThe richest white Burgundy in the de Villaine stable, this Rully is an exercise in balance. Hazelnut and quince paste greet the nose, followed by a dense mouthful of ripe, succulent yellow fruits. Despite its voluptuousness, the wine is dry, fresh, very stony, and even salty—mouthwateringly delicious. This vintage is magnificent for Les Saint-Jacques, and ample proof of the high quality of terroir in this southern stronghold of Burgundy. The fact that it isn’t premier cru, well, that’s proof of a talented grower, because it sure does taste like it. —Dixon Brooke
- Item #: i_311377Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes - "Our Bouzeron comes from vines situated on the best slopes of the appellations. We have planted the golden Aligoté doré grape, which gives lowers yield and more aromatic wines than its cousin, the Aligoté vert. True to its varietal nature, our Bouzeron is a liveley, fruity wine, but it also has a finesse and roundness that spring from the essential nature of the terroir. These qualities lend it great versatility. To best appreciate the freshness and fruit, it would be drunk young, within two or three years. To allow the wine to fully develop fullness and "fatness", age it for up to ten years. It should be served chilled, at about 54°F, as an apéritif, with seafood, or with a number of cheeses (goat cheese, Cantal, Beaufort, Parmesan, Roquefort, etc."
- Item #: i_351473Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson, located in Meursault, was not very well known until recently. It was a kind of hidden gem. The domaine is part of the family Domaine Boisson-Vadot which is divided into three entities: the parents have Boisson-Vadot, the son Pierre Boisson and the daughter Anne Boisson. The élevage for the wines is long (between 15 and 20 months) and the quality of the wine is regular, with great finesse and infinite finish. The Meursault Sous la Velle has an open bouquet with aromas of citrus and white-fleshed fruit (apple and pear) and acacia notes. It has a fresh, nicely fruity palate with a distinctive mineral quality.
- Item #: i_352596Bottle Size: 750mlBenjamin Leroux started his negociant business in 2007 after he left Domaine Comte Armand, his sizeable estate is located just outside of the Beaune ‘ring’ D470 (or as I like to call it, the Beaune ‘M25’). Even though this Maison is a fairly big operation in terms of total production size, he usually only produces a couple of barrels of each cuvee. Benjamin sources his grapes through 3 methods, 1) manages the vineyards (mostly organic/ biodynamic) / works closely with growers and picks the grapes, 2) buys the grapes from growers and, 3) his own vineyards (i.e. Meursualt Genevrieves, etc). Benjamin Leroux never buys juice/ wine as the quality tends to be unreliable and there is no guarantee the wines are what they say they are.
- Item #: i_352784Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 97 PointsDECANTER 97 POINTS - "Two parcels - one in Chapelot, the other in Montée de Tonnerre - are the sources of this delicious, ageworthy premier cru. Yields were low, but this is not ponderous at all. In fact it's very light-footed, with notes of citrus, white pepper and just a hint of wood."
BURGHOUND 91 - 93 POINTS - " This is relatively classic aromatically speaking with its cool citrus, floral, spice and quinine-suffused aromas. Once again there is a sleek mouth feel to the finer if not quite as intense and delineated middle weight flavors that exude a fine bead of minerality onto the saline and moderately dry finale. I quite like this as it's like rolling a small pebble around in the mouth and in contrast to the prior wines, this one is going to require at least a few years of patience first."
- Item #: i_351926Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 POINTS- "SWEET SPOT, OUTSTANDING" - "Whiffs of mineral reduction and spiced tea sit atop to the cool and pure aromas of lemon rind, apple and white flowers. There is excellent punch and ample minerality to the beautifully well-detailed flavors that possess outstanding energy that carries over to the compact and tightly wound finish. This is really good stuff that should drink well after only 5 or so years of cellaring but reward extended keeping."
- Item #: i_322656Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96BURGHOUND 95 POINTS "DON'T MISS" "This too is cool, pure and restrained with its notes of petrol and spice-inflected white orchard fruit aromas that are set off by just enough wood to notice. This is at once wonderfully sleek yet incredibly compact with its muscular, stony and tension-filled flavors that, like the Bâtard, are gorgeously long. This bone dry effort is very tightly wound and will require extended cellaring. Despite this, I would characterize this wine as a Montrachet of finesse."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS "From a parcel that neighbors Domaine Leflaive's the 2017 Montrachet Grand Cru wafts from the glass with notes of white flowers, Meyer lemon, mandarin oil, pastry cream and pear. On the palate, it's full-bodied, satiny textured and multidimensional, more enveloping but less dense than the Bâtard, while more controlled and delineated than the Criots. Succulent and long, it's a superb Montrachet that I would have loved to spend more time with."
- Item #: i_333699Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 93-95 "DON'T MISS"VINOUS 95 POINTS:" Pale yellow-green. High-pitched aromas of citrus peel, menthol, lavender and white pepper. Extremely tight without coming across as austere, conveying striking purity to its bracing flavors of grapefruit pith, lemon and crushed stone. Adamant minerality gives this very dense wine terrific inner-mouth tension and yet there's an element of leavening sweetness here as well, not to mention compelling floral perfume throughout. This wonderfully smooth, rich yet weightless wine really dances on the palate, spreading out on the unflagging back end to saturate every square millimeter of the mouth. Cellarmaster Emmanuel Hautus compared this wine to the 2009 in its combination of richness, early appeal and potential longevity."
BURGHOUND 92-94 POINTS: "A pungent nose combines notes of wood and reduction. Otherwise there is both good density and punch to the intensely mineral-driven broad-shouldered flavors that possess sneaky good length. This beauty is notably firm but not really austere and while it should age well over the mid-term, it should also be accessible after as little as 5 years."
- Item #: i_352347Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A floral aroma of acacia and linden blossom announces this delicate yet rich white. The white flower, lemon verbena and spice flavors are subtle, meshing seamlessly with the lush texture. Shows fine harmony overall, with a long finish. Drink now through 2024. 73 cases imported.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Beaune 1er Cru Clos Saint-Landry Blanc offers up an inviting bouquet of fresh pear, yellow orchard fruit, drawn butter and freshly cut herbs. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, ample and enveloping, with a fleshy core of succulent fruit and a generous, open-knit but nicely delineated profile."
- Item #: i_345109Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS :"The 2013 Meursault 1er Cru les Perrières has an attractive austerity on the nose, well defined, and actually capturing the essence of Perrières better than some of the more famous producers. The palate is crisp and precise with a keen line of acidity, well-integrated oak and a touch of grilled walnut and salinity toward the long finish. Bravo! This is very well-executed Perrières."
BURGHOUND POINTS 92 "OUTSTANDING" :"A subtle application of wood easily allows the elegant, pure and airy aromas of floral, citrus and wet stone where a hint of Asian style tea lurks in the background. There is plenty of mineral character to the beautifully well-detailed, intense and delicious middle weight flavors that conclude in an impressively long and palate coating finish. This is not especially complex at present and I would suggest acquiring this only if you have the express intention of holding it for at least 5 years."
VINOUSMEDIA 91-93 POINTS :"Discreet nose hints at white flowers, rose petal and white pepper, with citrus peel in the deep background. Fine-grained and aromatic in the mouth, offering an intriguing blend of sweet and peppery elements and wet-stone minerality. Finishes classically dry and long, with soil-driven smoky, saline minerality." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_345483Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 90 POINTS -"This too is super-fresh with its airy nose that combines floral, red currant and evident wet stone scents. The racy and tension-filled flavors possess a really lovely mouth feel if perhaps not quite the overall depth and length as the best of these villages wines."
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(from vines planted in the 1980s on rocky soil): Good dark red. Quite reticent on the nose, and a bit diffuse. Then juicy and sweet in the mouth, with soil-driven red berry flavors complicated by red licorice and mineral notes. Good density and breadth here--and a bit more size than usual for this wine. Finishes with dusty, horizontal tannins. Clair noted that this bottling is taking on more power as the vines age."
- Item #: i_345931Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Burghound: 93 OUTSTANDINGWINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "As usual, the 2017 Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux Vieilles Vignes is one of the highlights of the Louis Michel portfolio, and it won't be bottled until next spring—at the same time as the house's grand cru cuvées. The wine unfurls in the glass with notes of crisp apples, white flowers, citrus oil and oystershell, without the honeyed aspect found in the regular bottling. On the palate, it's deeper, denser and stonier, both more complete and more reserved, with excellent concentration and length."
- Item #: i_351593Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Broad and buttery, with apple pie, pastry and spice flavors permeating the open, fleshy texture. Firms up on the finish. Drink now through 2020. 830 cases made."
- Item #: i_350966Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "e 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Quarts, co-owned by Olivier Merlin and Dominique Lafon, does not include the oldest vines in this particular vintage. Since these were planted in 1917, this plot was bottled separately in magnums to celebrate its centenary. It has a very classy bouquet, one that is beautifully defined with orange pith, apricot, lime flower and jasmine aromas that all gain intensity with aeration. The quality terroir comes through, even without those old vines. The palate is fresh and citrus-driven on the entry, bright and vivid with notes of orange rind, pine kernels, hints of mango and spice. This feels very harmonious and focused, demonstrating impressive depth on the flinty finish. This is a very impressive Pouilly-Fuissé from one of its most historic and now rejuvenated vineyards"
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS -"The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Quarts is very pretty, opening in the glass with a complex bouquet of peach, confit citrus, lemon and smoke, framed by a judicious touch of recently used oak. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, satiny and elegant, with succulent balancing acids. This is an ample, approachable and open-knit rendition of the Clos des Quarts, replete with immediate charm."
- Item #: i_333606Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS "A captivating blend of ripe apricot, pineapple and citrus underpinned by a decadent creamy oak core; textured, rounded, full of drive and sizzling acidity carrying through to the mouthwatering finish."